PDA

View Full Version : Top 20 current prospects

RashanGary
01-21-2009, 06:15 PM
This is according to my favorite draft site. This may or may not be paid material, but I will not disclose the answer to that. As far as you know, this is my list but I'll just say I have a good, strong opinion here.

Anyway, I put in bold the guys I think we have a good shot at drafting. These guys have Raji very high. I'm actually starting to cross my fingers for Raji. If not, I'd be happy with Everette Brown or an offensive tackle. I think Moreno is a hell of a runner. I'm just not so sure I want to draft him with a high pick.

1 Michael Crabtree WR
2 Aaron Curry OLB
3 Eugene Monroe OT
4 Malcolm Jenkins CB
5 Andre Smith OT
6 BJ Raji DT
7 Michael Oher OT
8 Matthew Stafford QB
9 Jason Smith OT
10 Everette Brown OLB/DE
11 Mark Sanchez QB
12 Brian Orakpo OLB/DE
13 Knowshon Moreno RB
14 Chris Wells RB
15 Jeremy Maclin WR
16 Brian Pettigrew TE
17 Percy Harvin WR
18 Rey Maulaluga ILB
19 Leshawn McCoy RB
20 DJ Moore CB

sheepshead
01-21-2009, 06:22 PM
I dont watch enough college football to know many of these guys. Don't be real surprised if TT takes an RB in the first or second round.

Partial
01-21-2009, 06:37 PM
Damn right Mike Crabtree is the best player in the draft. He's a premiere wide out prospect.

Brewhaha
01-21-2009, 06:39 PM
Where is Maybin?

Waldo
01-21-2009, 06:46 PM
Where is Maybin?

I was just going to say that. The combine will fix that problem though.

The Senior Bowl has made Raji's stock soar. He is the best player on the field for either side. Absolutely unstoppable.

RashanGary
01-21-2009, 06:56 PM
Maybin is way back in the 30's.

Partial
01-21-2009, 06:56 PM
Waldo have you been at the practices or are you just talking out of your ass? Considering the squads work independently(at least that is my understanding) than how on earth can you conclude that he is the best player on the field?

For what its worth, Gabe Watson was also borderline unstoppable in the senior bowl if I remember correctly. We all know how that worked out. Raji had one big year, and I'm not confident that he is the guy.

Despite having an underwhelming SB according to Greg Bedard, Maulaluga is still my guy. He is a man among boys out there when they're hitting.

rbaloha1
01-21-2009, 07:20 PM
Damn right Mike Crabtree is the best player in the draft. He's a premiere wide out prospect.

Another Larry Fitzgerald. A converted qb with smarts to find openings in zone coverages.

Play and stats clearly make Crabtree #1.

Waldo
01-21-2009, 07:28 PM
Waldo have you been at the practices or are you just talking out of your ass? Considering the squads work independently(at least that is my understanding) than how on earth can you conclude that he is the best player on the field?

For what its worth, Gabe Watson was also borderline unstoppable in the senior bowl if I remember correctly. We all know how that worked out. Raji had one big year, and I'm not confident that he is the guy.

Despite having an underwhelming SB according to Greg Bedard, Maulaluga is still my guy. He is a man among boys out there when they're hitting.

Perhaps you don't have NFLN?

They broadcast the practices.
If you read any accounts about he happenings anywhere or listen to others takes (Brandt's site, NFLdraftcountdown, Kirwin broadcasts from there on Sirius, etc...) all have the same refrain. Raji is unstoppable and has played himself into the top 10.

RashanGary
01-21-2009, 07:41 PM
Crabtree is clearly a great college player. Great after the catch. Seems to have good hands and adjusts well. He does a good job using his body to get position on the defender. He's really complete.

You don't really see the Ted Ginn or Desean Jackson speed. You don't see the Jordy Nelson type talent in tight space. You don't see the Calvin Johnson type size. You don't see the Larry Fitzgerald type adjustments to poorly thrown balls.

You do, however, see a guy who is good at everything. Very good at everything and GREAT with the ball in his hand.

I think he'll be a probowl type player for a long time. I like him better than Calvin Johnson. I don't think he's as good as Fitzgerald though. Fitzgerald showed a very special knack for tracking the ball even coming out of college on top of his special physical skills. I'm not so sure we see that from Crabtree, although he does do a very good job. Jennings shows a special knack at tracking and adjusting to the ball. Jennings is not as physically gifted as Crabtree, but I could see them being similarly effective. Jennings has a special gift with the way he adjusts and battles for the ball and Crabtree has a special gift with how explosive he is with the ball in his hands. Both very applicable to the NFL. Neither as good as Fitzgerald though. Fitzgerald is the best of all worlds. I wouldn't take Crabtree with the first pick. Eugene Monroe would be my pick just from what I've seen of these guys. I think Monroe will be a dominate LT for many, many years. Similar to Joe Thomas. Just as great as Crabtree but at a more important and tougher to find position.

chain_gang
01-21-2009, 08:11 PM
Crabtree to me seems like a modern Day Sterling Sharpe, I would say the most comparable player to him right now is Dwayne Bowe, except Crabs has better hands. Crabtree will be a great WR in the NFL and should have a career similar to Sharpe's, hopefully it'll be a lot longer career.

TheCheese
01-21-2009, 08:51 PM
Crabtree is clearly a great college player. Great after the catch. Seems to have good hands and adjusts well. He does a good job using his body to get position on the defender. He's really complete.

You don't really see the Ted Ginn or Desean Jackson speed. You don't see the Jordy Nelson type talent in tight space. You don't see the Calvin Johnson type size. You don't see the Larry Fitzgerald type adjustments to poorly thrown balls.

You do, however, see a guy who is good at everything. Very good at everything and GREAT with the ball in his hand.

I think he'll be a probowl type player for a long time. I like him better than Calvin Johnson. I don't think he's as good as Fitzgerald though. Fitzgerald showed a very special knack for tracking the ball even coming out of college on top of his special physical skills. I'm not so sure we see that from Crabtree, although he does do a very good job. Jennings shows a special knack at tracking and adjusting to the ball. Jennings is not as physically gifted as Crabtree, but I could see them being similarly effective. Jennings has a special gift with the way he adjusts and battles for the ball and Crabtree has a special gift with how explosive he is with the ball in his hands. Both very applicable to the NFL. Neither as good as Fitzgerald though. Fitzgerald is the best of all worlds. I wouldn't take Crabtree with the first pick. Eugene Monroe would be my pick just from what I've seen of these guys. I think Monroe will be a dominate LT for many, many years. Similar to Joe Thomas. Just as great as Crabtree but at a more important and tougher to find position.

The only knock on Fitz was his speed. Hes not the fastest WR around. That being said I take Calvin over him any day of the week. Right now Fitz is the better NFL WR because he has more experience than Calvin. And that's what's scary is Calvin hasn't even reached his potential yet, the dude is only getting better.

The top 5 WRs in the league are

1. Andre Johnson
2. Randy Moss
3. Anquan Boldin
4. Larry Fitzgerald
5. Steve Smith

After that I would put Calvin, next year I expect him to cement himself in the top 3 WR in the league. Sucks Detroit got him but the good thing is we get to watch this freak twice a year.

mission
01-21-2009, 09:13 PM

The only knock on Fitz was his speed. Hes not the fastest WR around. That being said I take Calvin over him any day of the week. Right now Fitz is the better NFL WR because he has more experience than Calvin. And that's what's scary is Calvin hasn't even reached his potential yet, the dude is only getting better.

1. Andre Johnson
2. Randy Moss
3. Anquan Boldin
4. Larry Fitzgerald
5. Steve Smith

After that I would put Calvin, next year I expect him to cement himself in the top 3 WR in the league. Sucks Detroit got him but the good thing is we get to watch this freak twice a year.

Fitzgerald is an unstoppable freak.

I don't know what's better than unstoppable ... if anything, some of those guys are on HIS level. Not the other way around.

Brando19
01-21-2009, 09:14 PM

1. Andre Johnson
2. Randy Moss
3. Anquan Boldin
4. Larry Fitzgerald
5. Steve Smith

No way Boldin is better than Fitzgerald. No way.

The Leaper
01-21-2009, 09:16 PM

I would agree...and also add that Fitz is better than Moss.

Johnson and Fitz are a toss up IMO...both can make a legit claim as the best WR in the league.

Tyrone Bigguns
01-21-2009, 09:44 PM
Living in AZ i watch both of them...and far more than anyone else on this forum.

Q is just as good as Fitz.

Q was a pro bowler his rookie year. Fitz wasn't.

Q has as many pro bowls as Fitz.

Fitz benefits from Q's presence..just as Q benefits from Fitz.

And, there is no doubt, that Q is a better runner after the catch, more physical and better blocker.

Let's not forget Q was mr. football in Florida in high school and even played a little Qb at FSU. He's an insane athlete.

Q, like smith, may be one of the only guys in the league who can take a 5 yard hitch to the house. Fitz's game...body control, especially in the air is amazing. To a certain extent, he needs a competent QB to maximize his game. Ya gotta get him the ball.

But if what you are looking for is a guy that can create away from the ball - will block, move the chains, and catch every kind of ball anywhere on the field and make that tough catch over the middle - you want Boldin. His route running is on another level compared to Fitzgerald. That is why Warner looks for him so much between the 20's because he is constantly open.

He's dominating you in the first 5 yards of the route, the most critical part of the WR vs. CB battle. Whether it be by his physicality, his jukes, his explosiveness, getting to or fighting for dominant position between him and the ball, regardless, Boldin is destroying cornerbacks to this very day. He has the highest rate of receptions per game in the NFL since he stepped foot in the NFL. He's a magnet.

I will say this now.....get Q on the Pack.

TheCheese
01-21-2009, 09:57 PM
Living in AZ i watch both of them...and far more than anyone else on this forum.

And, there is no doubt, that Q is a better runner after the catch, more physical and better blocker.

Let's not forget Q was mr. football in Florida in high school and even played a little Qb at FSU. He's an insane athlete.

Q, like smith, may be one of the only guys in the league who can take a 5 yard hitch to the house. Fitz's game...body control, especially in the air is amazing. To a certain extent, he needs a competent QB to maximize his game. Ya gotta get him the ball.

But if what you are looking for is a guy that can create away from the ball - will block, move the chains, and catch every kind of ball anywhere on the field and make that tough catch over the middle - you want Boldin. His route running is on another level compared to Fitzgerald. That is why Warner looks for him so much between the 20's because he is constantly open.

He's dominating you in the first 5 yards of the route, the most critical part of the WR vs. CB battle. Whether it be by his physicality, his jukes, his explosiveness, getting to or fighting for dominant position between him and the ball, regardless, Boldin is destroying cornerbacks to this very day. He has the highest rate of receptions per game in the NFL since he stepped foot in the NFL. He's a magnet.

Refreshing to see someone who knows what they are talking about when it comes to Fitz vs Boldin.

Both awesome receivers but Boldin is the only one in the league who can do what he does. No one comes close to him when it comes to his yards after the catch skill. And his physicality vs corners is second to none.

As stated previously, Boldin is Warner's number one target for a reason.

Bossman641
01-21-2009, 10:06 PM

Nice breakdown Ty

Boldin is a man possessed once he gets the ball in his hands. And watching Fitz go up to snag balls out of the air is a thing of beauty the way he twists and contorts his body.

I just hope Q gets healed up for the SB.

TheCheese
01-21-2009, 10:15 PM

I would agree...and also add that Fitz is better than Moss.

Johnson and Fitz are a toss up IMO...both can make a legit claim as the best WR in the league.

See this to me just screams flavor of the month. Everyone is on the Fitz bandwagon right now because of his recent post season play.

Don't get me wrong Fitz is an absolute stud but Andre has him beat. This is the first year in which he has really been healthy and look what he did. Destroyed almost every defense he played.

And he doesn't have Boldin on the other side taking pressure off. Off the top of your head can you even name the other receivers on Houston? Everyone knew Houston's offensive strategy was to get the ball to Andre and they still couldn't stop him. The dude had 7 games of 10+ receptions While Fitz had 1 game of 10+ receptions. Andre is doing all this with Shaub and Rosenfels throwing him the ball while Fitz has Warner.

Ask yourself this question, what does Fitz do better than Andre?

Or, if you have actually watched Andre play as much as I have, list the qualities that Andre has that are better than Fitz and you'll see why Andre is the best in the game right now.

texaspackerbacker
01-21-2009, 11:51 PM
No love for Greg Jennings in the top five?

I'd put him ahead of Bolden and Steve Smith, but lower than the other three and probably Calvin Johnson.

Also, if you're talking pure ability, and ignoring baggage, Terrell Owens still belongs in there.

Guiness
01-22-2009, 01:53 AM
agree with tpb - I don't think you can leave TO out, even now.

Crabtree the BPA. It's almost ironic. If Detroit drafts him, I'll still be giggling come training camp!!!

Fritz
01-22-2009, 06:58 AM

If you read any accounts about he happenings anywhere or listen to others takes (Brandt's site, NFLdraftcountdown, Kirwin broadcasts from there on Sirius, etc...) all have the same refrain. Raji is unstoppable and has played himself into the top 10.

Waldo, how do you expect aji to be available at #9 if you keep tooting his horn like that? Everybody knows that NFL scouts read Packerrats and make many of their evaluations of players using info posted on this site.

So please, keep it on the down low.

Waldo
01-22-2009, 07:14 AM

Waldo, how do you expect aji to be available at #9 if you keep tooting his horn like that? Everybody knows that NFL scouts read Packerrats and make many of their evaluations of players using info posted on this site.

So please, keep it on the down low.

No worries, pretty much every pro scout and a good number of coaches are down in Mobile watching him live, too busy to pay attention here.

PaCkFan_n_MD
01-22-2009, 08:55 AM
edit - posted in wrong thread.

SkinBasket
01-22-2009, 02:35 PM

I really like this Waldo fellow. He has practical knowledge and statistical smarts, a keen eye for details that reflect on players abilities, the ability to reason and construct an argument, and isn't a conceited assmonkey when he posts.

He's literally the anti-Partial, and that's pretty damned refreshing. Keep up the good work W.

mission
01-22-2009, 02:42 PM

I really like this Waldo fellow. He has practical knowledge and statistical smarts, a keen eye for details that reflect on players abilities, the ability to reason and construct an argument, and isn't a conceited assmonkey when he posts.

He's literally the anti-Partial, and that's pretty damned refreshing. Keep up the good work W.

Ya, Waldo is a good addition. Plus he's an ATL cat ... maybe we'll have to meet up at TJ's next season 8-)

Waldo
01-22-2009, 03:22 PM
You watch games at TJ's :shock: (best...place....ever (aside from Lambeau))

My wife and I have been going there since '02 whenever the game isn't on TV. We always sit in the same place, 3rd booth from the front screen in the main room. We're the couple that gets there early and plays cribbage until kickoff.

I used to wear a KGB jersey (the only one there) until this season, when I wore a Barnett jersey.

LOL, my wife and I have had an ongoing argument about the DJ for a few years now. She thinks that he looks like the family guy, I think that he is exactly like Newman from Seinfeld.