PDA

View Full Version : Family won out for Johnson as well

HarveyWallbangers
01-22-2009, 12:10 AM
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/38051774.html

QUIT POSTING JSO CONTENT

And Bedard with another piece that doesn't match up with the heading. He's stories have been horrible in that respect lately.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/38121204.html

Under "Childress not worried," Chilly didn't say anything to make you think he is or isn't worried--which was the right thing to do. He was effusive of Capers.

RashanGary
01-22-2009, 07:04 AM
We're only going to get "football first" guys here. And honestly, that's what I want.

It's probably a little tough with the weather. Other than that, strictly football, I don't think there is a better place to be. JS was writing as if the Packers have a disfunctional football operation when that is not true at all.

Patler
01-22-2009, 07:10 AM

And Bedard with another piece that doesn't match up with the heading. He's stories have been horrible in that respect lately.

Under "Childress not worried," Chilly didn't say anything to make you think he is or isn't worried--which was the right thing to do. He was effusive of Capers.

I don't understand what's up with Bedard lately. His writing in articles and his blog has changed. He fills both with unsupported allegations or inferences as you point out, and he takes repeated shots at and makes snide comments about everyone and everything. He can go on for a paragraph or two about something, then makes a smart-ass comment about it. His writing has taken on an overtone of immaturity.

KYPack
01-22-2009, 07:16 AM

And Bedard with another piece that doesn't match up with the heading. He's stories have been horrible in that respect lately..

This drives writers nuts. It may well not be Bedard's fault. Writers don't get to write the headline. That's usually an editor's job.

Pacopete4
01-22-2009, 07:33 AM

I don't understand what's up with Bedard lately. His writing in articles and his blog has changed. He fills both with unsupported allegations or inferences as you point out, and he takes repeated shots at and makes snide comments about everyone and everything. He can go on for a paragraph or two about something, then makes a smart-ass comment about it. His writing has taken on an overtone of immaturity.

Is it possible he is still holding last summer against the packers? Maybe he hasn't got over it so he takes as many shots as he can l

Patler
01-22-2009, 07:44 AM

Is it possible he is still holding last summer against the packers? Maybe he hasn't got over it so he takes as many shots as he can l

I don't understand what you are getting at. What does Bedard have to hold against the Packers? I don't think he had anything invested in the Favre matter, but I could be wrong. Would he have cared one way or the other about Favre?

His "edginess" seems to have appeared in the last couple months. I thought maybe this is the real him, and earlier he was on good behaviour getting known and accepted. If this is the real him, I will not read his stuff very often in the future.

Pacopete4
01-22-2009, 07:57 AM

I don't understand what you are getting at. What does Bedard have to hold against the Packers? I don't think he had anything invested in the Favre matter, but I could be wrong. Would he have cared one way or the other about Favre?

His "edginess" seems to have appeared in the last couple months. I thought maybe this is the real him, and earlier he was on good behaviour getting known and accepted. If this is the real him, I will not read his stuff very often in the future.

Ya I was just guessing. I rarely read what he has to say but I just thought maybe he's one of the media guys on the pack for getting rid of favre

DonHutson
01-22-2009, 11:42 AM

What I suspect you are witnessing is the slow death of journalism. As journalists all become bloggers, why should we expect a difference between the two any longer?

mission
01-22-2009, 01:57 PM
Why is this any surprise? If money wasn't an issue and you weren't stuck to some job, who in their right mind would want to live where it's so cold?

I'm not trying to take stabs at our No.Wisconsinites here, but let's be honest with ourselves ... I go back for Christmas and get a cold and spend the week wearing 7 jackets and three hats. That's not fun!

mraynrand
01-22-2009, 02:04 PM
Why is this any surprise? If money wasn't an issue and you weren't stuck to some job, who in their right mind would want to live where it's so cold?

I'm not trying to take stabs at our No.Wisconsinites here, but let's be honest with ourselves ... I go back for Christmas and get a cold and spend the week wearing 7 jackets and three hats. That's not fun!

There's a rumor going around that some people like cold weather.

Joemailman
01-22-2009, 02:13 PM

We're getting way off topic here but...one of the reasons I moved from Illinois to Wisconsin is that the summers aren't as hot here. Can't stand hot, humid weather. New Orleans is about the last place I would want to live, given their climate.

mission
01-22-2009, 02:31 PM

There's a rumor going around that some people like cold weather.

Some men like sleeping with men too (nothing wrong with that!)... doesn't mean I want to.

My family is still in WI, but I can't say their reason for it is because "(we) like cold weather". Over time, rational kicks in and that's one of the reasons but I don't remember a single summer in WI that wasn't humid. At a certain point, sticky is sticky and August is August and 100% humidity is exactly that ...

Southern summer nights are beautiful and never too hot to enjoy ... summer just about everywhere is HOT. Winter -- just about everywhere -- is not always in the negative degrees.

Of course people living in the north are going to tell me why they like it but when you don' (live there)t, the idea of 2 feet of snow when you don't know any better is a horrible idea. These stories are put up here as if it's actually a story or "WOW LOOK AT THIS" ... it's GREEN BAY WISCONSIN, folks. There's a reason a 1 bedroom San Diego apartment costs $1300 a month ... that same one is probably ~$600 in GB if that.

It's no surprise and it will never change.

Tyrone Bigguns
01-22-2009, 04:38 PM
C'mon people. We all have love for Wisco, but let's get serious. It is freaking cold there and in GB there is very little to do.

That suits some, but the vast majority do not find that appealing.

It is like Haggis or Lutefisk. If you were brought up on them, you develop a taste for it and grow to love it, but for newbies it is not good eating.

There is a reason Miltown/GB/Madtown/etc. aren't big in the winter for tourists, conventioneers, etc. Or, to be realistic..not that big in the summer either. Take away the Fibs and who is really coming to Wisco?

Badgerinmaine
01-22-2009, 07:29 PM
I think some of you are trying way too hard to read too much into what one man has said about where he chose to take a job. I think most people, given their choice, would tend to choose to live, or move, to where they grew up. This man has all sorts of Louisiana roots. It's a state with a very distinctive culture, and people who grew up there and moved often miss it badly (hence the famous blues song "Do You Know What it Is to Miss New Orleans?"). It's not a rip on Wisconsin (or anywhere else in the north) that he wants to go back home. Hell, I love Wisconsin, where I grew up, and I would have jumped at the chance to get a job there, but the job market was awful when I came out of grad school, and Tommy Thompson was carving the UW system budget like a holiday turkey, and it just didn't happen. I applied in 34 states and here I am in Maine. My best friend also rode the go-to-grad-school and see where you land game, and now is in central Louisiana. He'd jump at the chance to go back to Wisconsin from there.

The "things to do" line is a state of mind, particularly a young person's state of mind. Lots of people older would prefer a stable place to raise their kids over many of the sorts of bigger, flashier places with more "things to do". Green Bay and Wisconsin have plenty of things to do (and if you don't believe me, try living here in Augusta, Maine and compare). Further, lots of people love being in Maine in summer because our summers are delightfully cool. I hate being hot--weather over 85 makes me want to find shade and go to sleep--and we are almost NEVER over 90 degrees in summer here. I love that, and people have been summering here or moving here or vacationing here--and in northern Wisconsin--for a century because of it. Sure, we get a few days a year where it's too cold, or snowy, but I'd take the climate here in an instant over anywhere in the South or Southwest; I like my change of seasons.

Midwesterners are waaaaay too defensive and meek about where they live. My home town, Madison, is full of people from all over the world who WANTED to live there, and as a result is far past double the population it was when my parents moved there from Milwaukee. The state of Wisconsin does over $12 billion in tourism a year. It is a wonderful place. That someone who grew up someplace else wants to live where he grew up instead of where I did doesn't detract from it one bit.

pbmax
01-22-2009, 08:24 PM
I was listening to Milwaukee radio this afternoon and Homer (Steve True for the uninitiated or those who don't follow Marquette Basketball) was admittedly sour on the Packers braintrust because he believes them to be untruthful about the defensive conversion.

He was trying to get Wilde to draw a parallel between Sherman's scapegoating/firing of Ed Donatell to McCarthy's firing of Sanders. And he was mocking the idea that the transition will be smooth to Capers scheme and that they have the right personnel. He all but said they were lying.

McGinn was on a bent about the firing of six assistants being a singular event in Packer history. This, despite the fact that you cannot compare eras when Lombardi had seven coaches total (including himself) on his 1969 (last?) team.

There is tremendous uncertainty about the franchise and its short term prospects. 13-3 to 6-10 is bad, but when you fire your handpicked defensive staff after it, people assume you have made avoidable mistakes and bear a good deal of the responsibility. This is all true. McCarthy is getting a do over in assembling a staff after failing the first time.

But this doesn't mean up is down and black is white. McCarthy as a first time head coach went with an unknown quantity at DC and with a scheme he wasn't familiar with. Both turned out to be a mistake. The coordinator didn't know how to adjust to a drastic change in the ability of his personnel and McCarthy probably did not realize the hole Thompson was going to leave the DC with for his pass rush. He probably gets this turn as his last restart without sustained success.

But to the conventional wisdom and the narrative (fans, radio guys and reporters), if you aren't going up, you must be headed down. So all the premature accolades thrust at T2 and M3 last year are being withdrawn and equally rash judgments about their failings are being registered. Only time will tell.

bobblehead
01-22-2009, 08:47 PM

Bad guess. Bedard has been very open and honest in supporting the organization in the Favre matter.

Tyrone Bigguns
01-22-2009, 08:51 PM
PB,

I dont' think we would have much problems signing any of those you mentioned.

Not sure any of them would help though. :wink:

pbmax
01-22-2009, 08:54 PM
PB,

I'd be surprised if Greg Lloyd didn't still scare people! :D

Tyrone Bigguns
01-22-2009, 09:23 PM
PB,

With a gun, i suppose...like he did to his son and his now ex-wife.

He has not spoken to his father since 2002 and says he has no relationship with the man. According to press accounts of his testimony at the first trial, Greg Jr. said his father put the barrel of a Glock semiautomatic pistol in his mouth because he allegedly was upset about his 12-year-old son’s grades in school.

“He was like, `You’re wasting your life away and if you want to ruin it, I can end it for you right now,” Greg Jr. said at the trial.

I guess he is "packer people." :oops:

BTW, GL junior plays at UCONN.

pbmax
01-22-2009, 09:29 PM
PB,

He has not spoken to his father since 2002 and says he has no relationship with the man. According to press accounts of his testimony at the first trial, Greg Jr. said his father put the barrel of a Glock semiautomatic pistol in his mouth because he allegedly was upset about his 12-year-old son’s grades in school.

“He was like, `You’re wasting your life away and if you want to ruin it, I can end it for you right now,” Greg Jr. said at the trial.

This must be what people want when they say the want their defense to be aggressive and in attack mode. :shock:

Tyrone Bigguns
01-22-2009, 09:32 PM
PB,

This must be what people want when they say the want their defense to be aggressive and in attack mode. :shock:

After much thought, i've changed my mind. I do think that having Lloyd put a gun in Moll's mouth might make him a better blocker. :wink: