PDA

View Full Version : Oher tidbits from the Senior Bowl

rbaloha1
01-22-2009, 11:43 AM
On some plays Oher looked like the top 10 prospect he is supposed to be as he got in a devastating punch as slid easily about the pocket mirroring the DE. On others, though, Oher appeared stiff and flat-footed and was beaten cleanly on a couple of outside-inside moves. He also was knocked right off his pins by USC LB Clay Matthews who took a few reps at DE in the one-on-one drill.

Lurker64
01-22-2009, 11:57 AM
That's the thing about Oher that worries me (among others). On some plays, he looks fantastic a lock for a hall of fame LT, due to his athleticism and power. Other plays, he looks like a solid LT, and a top 10 lock. Still, on other plays he looks stiff and gets beaten by average players.

The inconsistency is going to hurt him. For a LT, being solid 95% of the time and incompetent 5% of the time isn't going to cut it, he's going to get a QB killed unless somebody corrects that.

DonHutson
01-22-2009, 12:55 PM
He also was knocked right off his pins by USC LB Clay Matthews who took a few reps at DE in the one-on-one drill.

To put that in perspective, Oher outweighs Matthews by at least 80 pounds.

KYPack
01-22-2009, 01:15 PM
Getting beat on the inside counters is called "leaving the gate open" by the line coaches. it takes a few years to pick up the inside/outside pass pro tricks.

Very few rooks pick it up right away.

Anthony Munoz didn't learn it until his second year. Wahle never learned it and was moved to Guard.

Joe Thomas was the freak who knows it all right away.

You can't eliminate a prospect for not knowing what to do. He may learn it and be a star.

That's why they call 'em rookies. They get you beat.

cheesner
01-22-2009, 02:20 PM
Getting beat on the inside counters is called "leaving the gate open" by the line coaches. it takes a few years to pick up the inside/outside pass pro tricks.

Anthony Munoz didn't learn it until his second year. Wahle never learned it and was moved to Guard.

You can't eliminate a prospect for not knowing what to do. He may learn it and be a star.

That's why they call 'em rookies. They get you beat.Is it a matter of 'knowing' what to do or being able to motivate yourself and make a better attempt?

I am getting the feeling he will be there for the Pack at #9 and the Pack will pass on him.

mission
01-22-2009, 02:33 PM

That's why they call 'em rookies. They get you beat.Is it a matter of 'knowing' what to do or being able to motivate yourself and make a better attempt?

I am getting the feeling he will be there for the Pack at #9 and the Pack will pass on him.

Ill be upset if we draft Oher... one of the few picks I wouldn't be happy with tbh

mraynrand
01-22-2009, 03:06 PM

What would you say about Clifton and Tauscher as rooks?

rbaloha1
01-22-2009, 03:22 PM

Solid players from day one.

KYPack
01-22-2009, 06:50 PM

Clifton and Tauscher as rooks?
They were like getting money from home when you didn't even write mom a letter.
The best rookie tandem I've ever seen.
They weren't the starters in the opener, but still played the vast majority of snaps for the 2000 season.
Tauscher took over from Earl Dotson, long time starter who blew out his back.
Clifton took over for Mike Wahle, who had the problems I talked about. Whale couldn't learn LT.

Tausch was a revelation. He played at a high level right from the jump.

Clifton had a few hiccups, but in general was a beauty right away also.

Ahman Green had a huge season in 2000, in large part due to the play of these rookie tackles. It's unheard of in the league. Thank God it happened to us.

Lurker64
01-22-2009, 07:04 PM

The thing that's worrisome about Oher is that by all accounts he's not the sharpest card in the shed, and might require extra attention from coaches. Still, with his physical tools that effort would probably be worth it, assuming it takes. The only things you can say bad about Oher as a prospect is that his motor is hot and cold, and his awareness and intelligence might make you worry. If some good coaches get their hooks into him and get both of those things taken care of, Oher will probably be the best tackle in the draft. Still, he's not the most certain prospect.

Still, I wonder how many of the knocks on Oher are just because we've been looking at this guy forever, and you look close enough at anything and you figure out there's something wrong with it.

DonHutson
01-22-2009, 07:19 PM
The thing that's worrisome about Oher is that by all accounts he's not the sharpest card in the shed, and might require extra attention from coaches.

It sounds like came from an extremely troubled home and didn't have a chance to attend school regularly (which I guess didn't stop him from getting into Ole Miss :wink: ). So the question is whether he's unintelligent, or merely uneducated. It's not really the same thing. I don't know what the answer is. They would have to determine that when they interview him.

He's an intriguing prospect and I wouldn't overemphasize one week at the Senior Bowl vs. several highly productive years in the SEC.

He's just a guy you really need to do your homework on.

Lurker64
01-22-2009, 07:33 PM
He's just a guy you really need to do your homework on.

Agreed 100%. He has all the physical tools, but you need to do your due diligence on him.

green_bowl_packer
01-22-2009, 07:53 PM
There was a Sunday magazine article about Michael Oher about 5 years ago, I told myself I was going to keep an eye on him as his story was amazing and he was already on the map recruitment-wise. That article spawned this book from the Money Ball and Liar's Poker author Michael Lewis. As the draft nears this story will come out, it about on-the-lines of Donald Driver or James Jones being homeless for some parts of their lives. Before we went 3-4, I'd want him, but now we need DE's and 3-4 LBs to make it work - so he's out.

http://www.amazon.com/Blind-Side-Evolution-Game/dp/039306123X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1232675061&sr=8-1

green_bowl_packer
01-22-2009, 07:58 PM
I should correct myself it's like Donald Driver and James Jones upbringing, except Michael Oher was adopted by a rich white family. They gave him discipline and opportunities he may never other wise gotten. Not sure if that makes him any smarter, but the Wonderlic test will decide!