PDA

View Full Version : Jim Bates becomes DC of Tampa Bay Bucs

packers04
01-22-2009, 01:43 PM
interesting... not sure if they have the personnel to run his defense... but time will tell i guess.

K-town
01-22-2009, 03:04 PM
Here's the Link:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3852499

Waldo
01-22-2009, 03:13 PM
interesting... not sure if they have the personnel to run his defense... but time will tell i guess.

Small DT's
Zone CB's

LOL :lol:

vince
01-22-2009, 03:19 PM
Things are starting to look up for Bob Sanders...

rbaloha1
01-22-2009, 03:21 PM

Good point. The ex Packer staff may have found a new home. Now the Packers can pay less for the buyouts.

Harlan Huckleby
01-22-2009, 03:31 PM

:lol:

I agree with Cliff Cristl's comments that defensive coordinators look good when they have good players. That's about 90% of the story, the scheme is just a marginal part of the outcome.

Lurker64
01-22-2009, 04:09 PM

Small DT's
Zone CB's

Yeah, if Bates is half as tied to his scheme as Sanders was, this has the potential to be a disaster if Bates just tries to implement the classic Bates 4-3 that Green Bay and Miami ran.

Still, it's foolish to assume that defensive coordinators are incompetent and will run schemes that don't work and are not suited to their personnel. Bates isn't dumb, he's just going to have trouble running the base defense he's well known for right out of the gate.

KYPack
01-22-2009, 05:26 PM

Small DT's
Zone CB's

Yeah, if Bates is half as tied to his scheme as Sanders was, this has the potential to be a disaster if Bates just tries to implement the classic Bates 4-3 that Green Bay and Miami ran.

Still, it's foolish to assume that defensive coordinators are incompetent and will run schemes that don't work and are not suited to their personnel. Bates isn't dumb, he's just going to have trouble running the base defense he's well known for right out of the gate.

That's the thing that drove me nuts about Sanders.

Didn't Bates teach him any other tricks?

He ran that basic shell into the derned ground!

DonHutson
01-22-2009, 07:00 PM
Wasn't their new head coach a D assistant under Kiffin? Maybe they're asking Bates to adjust to their system as opposed to the other way around?

It's a curious hire...

pbmax
01-22-2009, 08:53 PM
There is a feeling in the league that the Tampa 2 has been played out and countered. I have read this elsewhere regarding the changing of the defensive coaches for the Colts. They also point to the fact that the Bears don't even use their singular defense as much as Cover 1 anymore.

KYPack
01-22-2009, 09:59 PM
There is a feeling in the league that the Tampa 2 has been played out and countered. I have read this elsewhere regarding the changing of the defensive coaches for the Colts. They also point to the fact that the Bears don't even use their singular defense as much as Cover 1 anymore.

Indy used cover 1 with a robber 80% of the time in their play-off game.

'Course the robber was Bob Sanders, where else would you put him.

Iron Mike
01-23-2009, 07:05 AM
Didn't Bates teach him any other tricks?

I think he was trying to avoid being called "Master." :wink:

mraynrand
01-23-2009, 01:54 PM

I cover 1 with a rubber 100% of the time. It's the only way to be certain.

KYPack
01-23-2009, 03:54 PM

I cover 1 with a rubber 100% of the time. It's the only way to be certain.

It's robber, not rubber, you idiot!

Good one, MRD

Tarlam!
01-23-2009, 07:28 PM
You guys are killin' me!