PDA

View Full Version : John Rushing

Bub
01-22-2009, 08:11 PM
Looks like we found a helper. What do you know about this guy?

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/packers.html

http://utahstateaggies.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/rushing_john00.html

vince
01-23-2009, 09:40 AM
Not a damn thing Bub.

Although, it says he did mentor Jarrett Bush in college, so he's got that going against him.

sheepshead
01-23-2009, 09:49 AM
http://www.imodium.com/

Bub
01-23-2009, 10:12 AM
why did i click on that?

Pack-man
01-23-2009, 10:15 AM
Not a damn thing Bub.

Although, it says he did mentor Jarrett Bush in college, so he's got that going against him.
That shoulda been reason number one why not to hire him! :shock:

Badgerinmaine
01-23-2009, 10:59 AM
A Utah paper says the Packers know him from a minority internship program in which he worked for them:
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/1,5143,705279418,00.html

I also read he's worked on punt coverage, which is a good thing. :-) They respected him enough to keep him when the current coach came in there, which is a good sign.

SkinBasket
01-23-2009, 12:00 PM
As long as he stays away from our DBs, I guess I'm all for him being filler in one of those seams between the real position jobs.

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/ust/sports/m-footbl/auto_headshot/p-rushing082103.jpg

Waldo
01-23-2009, 12:01 PM
QC assistant coaches run errands, put together tape, tally stats and whatnot. In the grand scheme of things they are pretty minor compared to the other coaches, generally the job is considered an on the job internship to get a feel for how other coaches work and is a springboard to a positional coach assistant position.

Not sure why MM would fire the offensive QC coach, that was definitely the odd fire of the bunch, about the only think I can think of was he was a poor employee (chronically tardy/poor motivation/etc...) or a jerk.

Patler
01-23-2009, 12:16 PM
Not sure why MM would fire the offensive QC coach, that was definitely the odd fire of the bunch, about the only think I can think of was he was a poor employee (chronically tardy/poor motivation/etc...) or a jerk.

He had been the QC in Green Bay for 3 years. Before that he was a QC for 2 years in New Orleans and the third year in New Orleans had sort of an expanded QC and Assistant to everyone position. The QC spots are usually stepping stones to "regular" coaching positions. He never made the step, and MM may have felt it was time to bring in someone with better potential. You don't often see a guy stay as a QC real long with one team.

Guiness
01-23-2009, 01:26 PM

He had been the QC in Green Bay for 3 years. Before that he was a QC for 2 years in New Orleans and the third year in New Orleans had sort of an expanded QC and Assistant to everyone position. The QC spots are usually stepping stones to "regular" coaching positions. He never made the step, and MM may have felt it was time to bring in someone with better potential. You don't often see a guy stay as a QC real long with one team.

You beat me to it Patler.

Those QC positions are like the practice squad - used as a revolving door to audition guys and see if they might cut it as a staff member.

There are exceptions at the college/university level of course. You'll sometime see a guy who's been piecing together film for decades, and has built up a library to show rookies and so on. Just a volunteer who enjoys doing it. We had a guy like that - the secondary coach brought me to see him and said "receiver put a swim move on him in tight coverage" and he broke out some examples of how to counter/prevent it.

Guiness
01-23-2009, 01:51 PM

I missed this - was it actually announced? Did they actually call it a firing? These positions are pretty low level, often barely (if at all) paid, aren't they?

I'm surprised they'd make an announcement that he was fired, as opposed to just saying 'he's moved on' or 'he's been replaced'.

Patler
01-23-2009, 03:48 PM

I missed this - was it actually announced? Did they actually call it a firing? These positions are pretty low level, often barely (if at all) paid, aren't they?

I'm surprised they'd make an announcement that he was fired, as opposed to just saying 'he's moved on' or 'he's been replaced'.

Some articles did say "fired", others said he "wouldn't be brought back" which I suspect meant his contract expired and wasn't renewed.