PDA

View Full Version : Harris another spoiled athlete - Thoughts on the Article ?

woodbuck27
07-07-2006, 11:32 AM
Harris another spoiled athlete

"I've got to do what's best for my family". That is the reason Al Harris is contemplating holding out of training camp next month, even though he was paid over eight million dollars the last two seasons. As you can see, this man is starving to death. Those poor kids might actually have to work sometime in their life. His poor wife might not be able to spend ten grand a month too much longer if Harris has to keep paying for the mere pittance the Packers are paying him.

I know one thing, I am getting sick and tired of these overpaid athletes and their selfish demands. I know one other thing, if the Packers don't put an end to this crap publicly, it is going to keep coming up and the media will keep ripping the team. All the Packers have to do is state their case and the Packers fans will band behind them like never before. Please, take a stand Mr. Ted Thompson.

Thompson has already shown a weak spot when he gave in to wide receiver Javon Walker, who unlike Harris, actually made a Pro Bowl, and traded him to Denver. Granted, a second-round pick is probably worth losing a health risk and locker room problem, but giving in to Harris would be the last straw.

Harris has been overrated and overpaid ever since he came to Green Bay after being a backup for four years in Philly. He's just a guy, no more, no less. The Packers can start Charles Woodson and Ahmad Carroll and not miss a beat. The secondary is one of the deepest positions on the Packers' roster and if Harris holds out of training camp he ought to be immediately demoted to third or fourth string.

Harris' agent claims "we'll be in training camp," but agents are a dime a dozen and Harris could easily replace Jack Bechta, his current agent between now and the training camp. Even if he shows up for training camp, his teammates will know that is contract is more important than practicing with the team and working on getting better and win a Super Bowl. All Harris wants is the almighty dollar, pure and simple.

This team and this management are walking a fine line. You didn't hear anyone other than Sterling Sharpe holding out under the reign of Ron Wolf and Mike Holmgren. This is looking more and more like the Forrest Gregg, Lindy Infante years, and its Thompson's responsibility to change it. The pressure is on. Head coach Mike McCarthy has no idea of what he is up against. If the Packers are losers this year, the you-know-what will really hit the fan. Like Ray Rhodes, it could be one and done.

By Al Davis

woodbuck27
07-07-2006, 11:42 AM
Lombardi Said It...

" The differences between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will."

I hope that Al Harris will be in TC and giving the Packers all he can.Then I feel he is making the best statement, to attain more for his Family and himself.

That can only arrive after recognition of his needs to deliver as OUR left CB. Bottom line - Al Harris has to play well to be possibly payed more. He can't be threatening a hold out or an absence from TC.

Any question of tradeing him must be carefully weighed for us in the long term by Ted Thompson. Hard line stances are a lose - lose proposition, as a general rule of thumb.

AtlPackFan
07-07-2006, 04:38 PM
How do you stop this? If you give in to the player and either renegotiate or trade him, you lose. If you take a hard line and refuse to give into the player's demands you end up with a cancer in your locker room and you lose.

How do you stop this? Does anyone have any idea? Can the NFL do anything to keep players from pulling this shit!? What are other teams doing. Crap, this is three players crying "pay me or trade me" in the last three years! :mad:

CaptainKickass
07-07-2006, 06:24 PM
I may be oversimplifying -

The way to stop it is to stop giving in.

1.If the player holds out then he is in breech of contract and can be benched. Make him sit.

2.Do evertything that you legally can as an organization to make his life miserable.

3.Dock his pay.

4.Demote him to 3rd string or even the practice squad if possible.

5.Then allocate him to the NFLE next season.

6.Use the power of the press to "leak" any info or stories of the cancerous behavior and it's negative effects on the team if that behavior is present.

The real question is how do you keep a guy out the locker room? Can a player in breech of contract be "withheld" from the lockerroom? Didn't Philly do that to T.O.?

CaptainKickass
07-07-2006, 06:28 PM
7.Move his locker to the "green mile"

8.Call him frequently to make sure that "everything is OK".

9.Limit his exposure to the press on his terms

10.Repeat.

MJZiggy
07-07-2006, 06:31 PM
I don't think they can ban him from the locker room, but if he holds out camp, they can demand part of his signing bonus back.

NewsBruin
07-08-2006, 12:13 AM
Well, that wouldn't be good for his family.

AtlPackFan
07-08-2006, 09:09 AM
7.Move his locker to the "green mile"

8.Call him frequently to make sure that "everything is OK".

9.Limit his exposure to the press on his terms

10.Repeat.

The problem is that his cancerous attitude can spread from sitting on the bench as easy as it does if he is in the locker room. The coaches can't watch him all the time. All he has to do is get around his "mates" and whisper about how bad the organization is treating him, how he isn't being appreciated, how they should watch because its going to be them next. He start a seed of doubt, a seed of mistrust in other player's minds - younger players that are still learning what the NFL is all about - and you could end up with a full blown mutinty.

I'm not saying this is going to happen but three players in three years is a warning that something is being done right. I'm also not saying you give in, all I'm saying is you have a problem either way and I don't see a solution.

Harlan Huckleby
07-08-2006, 10:01 AM
AH is too old to force a trade. And he is not going to be a cancer.

woodbuck27
07-08-2006, 04:18 PM

Your a wise but OLD man HH. :mrgreen:

Bretsky
07-08-2006, 06:47 PM
Unfortunately we've set TWO bad examples in the past in giving in.

1 was Mike McKenzie. Now many of us (including me) thought we still had legit playoff talent so maybe you bit the bullet on that one and get rid of the locker room cancer.

2 was Javon Walker. Right now we don't have the talent to be serious playoff contenders. So he was the one to take the hard line with. Green Bay did not.

So Al Harris hasn't been here that long and he's witnessed the game work twice already. Sooner or later we need to stop giving in.

RashanGary
07-08-2006, 06:51 PM
McKeinzie got a bad contract from NO. Walkers looks even worse.

All of them wanted more money and none of them have gotten it so far. I wouldn't say we gave in to anything.

Bretsky
07-08-2006, 06:59 PM
McKeinzie got a bad contract from NO. Walkers looks even worse.

All of them wanted more money and none of them have gotten it so far. I wouldn't say we gave in to anything.

YES we did Nick.

Both wanted out of Green Bay and were under a contract to play for a 2-3 more years.

We let them go elsewhere.

MJZiggy
07-08-2006, 07:23 PM
With Walker, I wanted them to watch him sit, but the deal was to our benefit.

woodbuck27
07-08-2006, 07:47 PM
[quote="MJZiggy"]With Walker, I wanted them to watch him sit, but the deal was to our benefit.[/quote

Yea ! Too bad we had need all over or we could have watched him sit (till TC again) but then the risk of another injury was too great and that trade was all around prudent.

Javon Walker acted like a spoiled brat as that all transpired. Screw him.

AtlPackFan
07-09-2006, 12:13 AM

Why is he too old to force a trade and why is he not going to be a cancer? I'm not challenging your wisdom, Oh wise Blue Dog, I'm just trying to understand.

the_idle_threat
07-09-2006, 12:26 AM
Blue Dog = Miss Cleo?

http://toad69n.freeshell.org/pics/misscleo.jpg

Harlan Huckleby
07-09-2006, 11:08 AM
idle_threat nailed it. I just know.

The fact that Harris is desperately trying to improve his salary is not surprising. He sees guys around him with better deals, and he's in the NFL end game. But he is too late, he doesn't have a couple years to dick around, like Javon Walker. And as far as being a cancer: he has a long track record as a team player, functioning as a backup in Philly when he would be a starter on most teams, for instance.

esoxx
07-09-2006, 11:45 PM
Unfortunately we've set TWO bad examples in the past in giving in.

1 was Mike McKenzie. Now many of us (including me) thought we still had legit playoff talent so maybe you bit the bullet on that one and get rid of the locker room cancer.

2 was Javon Walker. Right now we don't have the talent to be serious playoff contenders. So he was the one to take the hard line with. Green Bay did not.

So Al Harris hasn't been here that long and he's witnessed the game work twice already. Sooner or later we need to stop giving in.

Completely agree with this take.

Carolina_Packer
07-10-2006, 12:54 AM
Neither scenario is an easy one for the team to be in. I don't think anyone wins in the end.

1. The team gives into the demands of a player and gives him a better contract. The net effect is that there is a precedence for other players to act out in the same manner.

2. The team "punishes" the malcontent player by doing xyz, or eventually cuts him loose by trading him.

Who would want to have to deal with either scenario as management? For those who suggest strict punishment, I think you should appreciate that the team has to do what is in their best interests to do, while not giving the organization a public relations black eye when it comes to appealing to future free agents, or to players that we want to re-sign. It's not an easy position to be in, and they have to handle it carefully.