PDA

View Full Version : Official Interesting Prospects Thread

RashanGary
01-23-2009, 07:22 PM
Cody Brown, Connecticut
Jason Williams, Western Illinois

Both big, physical linebackers. Both good pass rushers. Jason Williams looks very interesting. He's a high impact small school player with a lot of upside and not a lot of notoriety. Ideal body type to play rush LB in a 3-4.

Joemailman
01-23-2009, 08:01 PM
Slade Norris, DE/OLB, Oregon St.
Norris really only knows how to do one thing well, but he does it very well. He has been a force off the edge the past two seasons for the Beavers, combining for 27 tackles for loss and 18 sacks during that span. With the emergence of the 3-4 defense over the past few years, it has allowed tweeners like Norris to find a role as pass rushers. He has good speed off the edge and is relentless, so he has potential as an outside linebacker in a 3-4 defense.

RashanGary
01-23-2009, 08:50 PM
Michael Oher is still very intriguing. All SEC selection two years in a row (SEC is a very tough conference). He's an impressive athlete. Played 4 years without injury.

He has some consistency question marks. Maybe he never makes it because he never really gets it, but his talent is intriguing. It's tough for me to say. You read one line about how he was all-SEC first team for two years and All American this year and then you read about inconsistency. Which is it? I don't know. It's tough to get a read on him.

He has a highlight video on youtube. He looks incredibly agile when containing the edge and really does a good job locking onto defenders and driving in the run game. He looks great, but then you read something else. I don't know what to think. He's that classic "boom or bust" player.

mission
01-23-2009, 09:18 PM
Michael Oher is still very intriguing. All SEC selection two years in a row (SEC is a very tough conference). He's an impressive athlete. Played 4 years without injury.

He has some consistency question marks. Maybe he never makes it because he never really gets it, but his talent is intriguing. It's tough for me to say. You read one line about how he was all-SEC first team for two years and All American this year and then you read about inconsistency. Which is it? I don't know. It's tough to get a read on him.

He has a highlight video on youtube. He looks incredibly agile when containing the edge and really does a good job locking onto defenders and driving in the run game. He looks great, but then you read something else. I don't know what to think. He's that classic "boom or bust" player.

Not intriguing enough for #9 imo ... Kiper had him going at 28... just read too much shit about him dominating one play and getting dominated another. 15 year LTs all seem to have history of complete dominance in lower ranks.

TennesseePackerBacker
01-24-2009, 12:53 PM

Not intriguing enough for #9 imo ... Kiper had him going at 28... just read too much shit about him dominating one play and getting dominated another. 15 year LTs all seem to have history of complete dominance in lower ranks.

Oher is the epitome of "a diamond in the rough". He will completely destroy great talent one play and then turn around and make a bonehead decision the next. Someone will more than likely strike gold getting Oher in the middle first. He just needs the right teachers and coaches/situation to help him progress. Without those things he could just end up as another washed out talent.

DonHutson
01-25-2009, 07:04 PM
This seems like a good thread to concentrate on later round prospects?

I don't think our RT of the future is on the roster, and the future might be now. This guy seems interesting for the 3rd round:

Fenuki Tupou 6-5 333 OT Oregon

Courtesy of Scouts Inc.:
----------------
Overall Football Traits

Production (3) 2004-05: Tupou enrolls at Grid-Wire Junior College where he started for two seasons. 2006: Transferred to Oregon and the Ducks red-shirted him. 2007: Started 12 of 13 games at the left tackle position.

Height-Weight-Speed (2) Excellent bulk, wide frame and adequate top-end speed.

Durability (1) Has not missed time due to injury.

Character (0) N/A

Offensive Tackle specific Traits

Strength/Toughness (1) Violent and displays brute strength at times. Wields a strong initial punch and can jolt defenders initially. Plays with a mean streak

Agility (2) Gets to the second level fairly well and can engulf linebackers when cutting them off. Above-average body control for his size and can adjust to the moving target at the second level.

Awareness (4) A bit raw in this category because of lack of playing experience on a higher level. Flashes ability to recognize and stay home against defensive stunts

Pass Protection (2) Reliable on the edge showing nimble feet along with a strong punch. Displays good patience letting rushers come to him rather than lunging. Possess a stout base and able to neutralize any attempt at a bull rush. Locks out and rides speed rusher by the pocket with long arms.

Run Blocking (2) A road grader that uses natural strength and leverage to root defenders off the ball. Locks defenders out with strong punch and long arms. Lacks ideal quickness and takes false steps at times so doesn't always get into ideal position
-----------------

So basically, he sounds like a big, bad MFer with the agility needed to play the zone scheme effectively.