PDA

View Full Version : QB Situation

ThunderDan
01-24-2009, 03:35 PM
I am trying to throw out an actual discussion about our QBs.

Please suspend your disbelief and don't say it didn't happen.

What if Brett Favre retired last year and stayed retired? So we didn't have to deal with the drama that has divided Packer Nation in two.

I would guess that 98% of all Packer fans would be excited about the possible future with Aaron Rodgers. He passed for over 4,000 yards, 28 touchdowns, 13 ints and a 93.8 passer rating. People would have given him the benefit of the doubt as a first year starter.

You look at teams like Chicago, Detroit, Minnesota, Buffalo, San Fran, KC that haven't been able to find a QB in years. After this year the 49ers have to be kicking themselves for drafting Alex Smith instead of ARod.

We had a Hall of Fame QB for 16 years and it looks like we might have another and at worst he is a better than average starting NFL QB.

SkinBasket
01-24-2009, 03:44 PM
All I know is that I before last season started, I was fine with Rodgers producing in the 2500-3000/15/10 range in his first year. So I'm happy.

packers11
01-24-2009, 03:46 PM
My question is about Brohm... He looked like a top 10 pick two years ago and we got him in the second round last year... I wonder if he lights up preseason (this year or next) that we try to trade him... I don't think hes going to want to sit behind Rodgers for the rest of his career...

I hope we can get value for him in the near future... He was our 2nd round pick...

Patler
01-24-2009, 03:55 PM
My question is about Brohm... He looked like a top 10 pick two years ago and we got him in the second round last year... I wonder if he lights up preseason (this year or next) that we try to trade him... I don't think hes going to want to sit behind Rodgers for the rest of his career...

I hope we can get value for him in the near future... He was our 2nd round pick...

If Brohm performs well at some point in the future, getting value for him in a couple years will not be a problem. But first he has to show that he can make the transition from college to the NFL. If he does, he will be an easy trade to make.

Pugger
01-24-2009, 04:10 PM
Most QBs that come out of college aren't really ready for the NFL so it should be no surprise that Brohm struggled in the preseason last summer. Every once in a while a rookie will look great (Big Ben in Pitt and Flacco this year) but most of them look shell shocked when they are thrown into games as rookies. :shock: I am eager to see how Brohm and Flynn perform this coming summer.

Tony Oday
01-24-2009, 04:16 PM
Well AR is a stud that we needed after the great one retired.

Brohm reminds me of the situation of Brunell and Favre. Was nice to have a Brunell but we did get to trade him away.

I think it is always a neccesity for Teams to have a stable of good QBs and never wait until the possition becomes a neccesity to upgrade if that makes sense.

Brando19
01-24-2009, 04:18 PM
I hope Brohm lights it the hell up in preseason....along with Flynn...and we eventually are able to trade Flynn for some good value and keep Brohm. He could be our Matt Cassell.

Partial
01-24-2009, 05:15 PM
I hope Brohm because a player because truth be told I think we're in for some growing pains offensively.

Lurker64
01-24-2009, 05:22 PM
Brohm will probably be fine in the long run. He looked like trash in his rookie camp, and the preseason but a lot of QBs looked that way (Rodgers only looked slightly better in his rookie preseason, and Rodgers is currently one of the best young QBs in the league.) Not only that, but McCarthy has a reputation for developing QBs, and has gotten good performance out of guys with fewer tools than Brohm has (Aaron Brooks anybody?).

If Brohm gets serious and puts in the time and learns what McCarthy has to teach him, he'll be fine by the time we look to trade him. Hopefully that will be sooner rather than later.

Flynn, however, is interesting. From what I've seen he's never going to be a starter in this league, but he has the chops that, with some seasoning, will allow him to be a dependable #2 in this league for years to come, a la Doug Pederson.

Still we have three young guys getting better to look forward to. Hooray!

Cheesehead Craig
01-24-2009, 05:29 PM
All I know is that I before last season started, I was fine with Rodgers producing in the 2500-3000/15/10 range in his first year. So I'm happy.
If Skin is happy, shouldn't we all be happy?

Tyrone Bigguns
01-24-2009, 06:05 PM
Brohm will probably be fine in the long run. He looked like trash in his rookie camp, and the preseason but a lot of QBs looked that way (Rodgers only looked slightly better in his rookie preseason, and Rodgers is currently one of the best young QBs in the league.) Not only that, but McCarthy has a reputation for developing QBs, and has gotten good performance out of guys with fewer tools than Brohm has (Aaron Brooks anybody?).

If Brohm gets serious and puts in the time and learns what McCarthy has to teach him, he'll be fine by the time we look to trade him. Hopefully that will be sooner rather than later.

Flynn, however, is interesting. From what I've seen he's never going to be a starter in this league, but he has the chops that, with some seasoning, will allow him to be a dependable #2 in this league for years to come, a la Doug Pederson.

Still we have three young guys getting better to look forward to. Hooray!

Fewer tools. Dude, you are crazy. Brooks had way more tools that Brohm ever will have.

The only tool Brooks didn't have was the leadership...and at this point, we certainly can't say Brohm has it.

SkinBasket
01-24-2009, 09:09 PM
If Skin is happy, shouldn't we all be happy?

Yes, you all should be. I remember discussing this with nutz outside of Hooters last year. A midget and a prego were working that night.

But apparently I'm an egomaniac and used four "I"s where I should have only used 3, so you may disregard any and all of my thoughts without penalty.

Guiness
01-24-2009, 11:20 PM
Most QBs that come out of college aren't really ready for the NFL so it should be no surprise that Brohm struggled in the preseason last summer. Every once in a while a rookie will look great (Big Ben in Pitt and Flacco this year) but most of them look shell shocked when they are thrown into games as rookies. :shock: I am eager to see how Brohm and Flynn perform this coming summer.

Flacco? You've got to be kidding. He got by à la Dilfer this season - 125yd games, 1 or no td passes. I don't think we can say anything about him.

If you were going to pick a rookie QB this year, it has to be Matt Ryan.

Guiness
01-24-2009, 11:22 PM
You look at teams like Chicago, Detroit, Minnesota, Buffalo, San Fran, KC that haven't been able to find a QB in years. After this year the 49ers have to be kicking themselves for drafting Alex Smith instead of ARod.

Nah, SF would be in the same position right now if they'd drafted ARod - they would've started him too early, like they did Smith, and he would've been blown out of the water, same as Smith was. Remember how lost ARod looked in camp his first year (and pretty bad his second as well)?