PDA

View Full Version : Favre not good as he used to be?? Or is he just the same??

packers11
07-07-2006, 04:07 PM
Everyone is saying Favre is to old, and his performance is going downhill fast..... I BEG TO DIFFER.... Turn off the espn (they hate the packers), stop listening to the so called experts and look at the facts....

1995 Attempts : 570 Comp : 359 yards : 4413 TD: 38 INT : 13 Rating : 99.5
1996 Attempts : 543 Comp : 325 Yards : 3899 TD : 39 INT : 13 Rating : 95.8
1997 Green Bay Packers Attempts : 513 Comp : 304 Yards : 3867 TD :35 INT : 16 Rating : 92.6
Last time I checked he won three straight MVPS in his (prime).......
Now lets fast foward to the future......

2001 Green Bay Packers Attempts : 510 Comp : Yards : 3921 TD :32 INT : Rating : 94.1
2002 Green Bay Packers Attempts : 551 Comp : 341 Yards : 3658 TD :27 INT: 16 Rating : 85.6
2003 Green Bay Packers Attempts : 471 Comp : 308 Yards : 3361 TD : 32 INT : 21 Rating : 90.4
2004 Green Bay Packers Attempts : 540 Comp : Yards: 4088 TD : 30 INT : 17 Rating : 92.4
2005 Green Bay Packers Attempts : 607 Comp : Yards : 3881 TD: 20 INT: 29 Rating : 70.9

Besides 2005.... Which was one season.... Favre still looks like the same guy I was watching in 1996... Takes risks, plays the game like no other, sure his numbers in his mvp years were slightly better... But remember the team was also better around him....
Every person has one bad year, and I love to see everyone (espically the experts on espn say he should just retire)..... Last time I checked, in 2004 he threw for over 4000 yards.... He only threw higher than that in one other season, and his rating was constantly in the 90's (besides 2005)... You could have had Payton in Favre's shoes doing just as bad, no running game, only 1 good passing weapon, and awful o-line....

Does anyone else agree with me ? or am I in my own little world??? I know he is not as good as he was in MVP years, but I think he is still on the top of his game....

Thoughts?

Tony Oday
07-07-2006, 04:10 PM
same arm
jittery on the run

that is the only difference I see it doesnt seem like he will run it in and take the big hit anymore.

packers11
07-07-2006, 04:12 PM
I agree on that one part, he doesn't look like the same risk taker when running the ball.... All that pops in my head when you said that is the 2004 viking playoff game when he was so close to the endzone and flicked the ball ... Then laughed it off :neutral:

CaliforniaCheez
07-07-2006, 04:54 PM
Favre lead the league in throws for first downs with 202.

The Packers lead the league with the most drives of 10 plays or more last year.

Most of Brett's interceptions came in the fourth quarter. The Packers were usually behind and the guy is trying to win.
That shows some heart.

It is not like the majority of the interceptions occurred in the first quarter putting the team behind early.

Breaking down the stats will help you see the Packers are not hurting on offense. They generally had more yards than their opponents.

When it comes to turnovers you may want to look at the defense not generating enough rather than the offense commiting too many.
But it is probably both.

Collins was just a rookie while Sharper lead the league in INT's. Nick will be better this year.
Hawk's speed will help but teams will try to use it against him the way they have with KGB(screen pass his direction).
Diggs was not healthy last year. If Ben Taylor isn't then look for Hodge to be making rookie mistakes in his place.

The intangible is that Bates is not there.
I think defense is more concerning.

Don't think Favre will not perform or that the Packer are better off with Rodgers. Brett still is one of the best QB's in the league. He is the strength of the team not the weakness.

MJZiggy
07-07-2006, 05:21 PM
I love your research.

Willard
07-07-2006, 05:42 PM
I agree that the talk of Favre's precipitous decline is overstated. Clearly much of his success last year was negated by his 29 interceptions and 6 (?) fumbles. He MUST be more careful with the ball!

I also think his reputation around the country has taken a (somewhat deserved) shot due to his poor performances in playoff games after the Super Bowl years.

Favre still has all the skill and athleticism to be a top QB in this league. To convince the "experts" he has to take care of the ball, and win the big games.

woodbuck27
07-07-2006, 09:52 PM
I agree on that one part, he doesn't look like the same risk taker when running the ball.... All that pops in my head when you said that is the 2004 viking playoff game when he was so close to the endzone and flicked the ball ... Then laughed it off :neutral:

That play pissed off alot of fans.That was one play though and how many times has he done the impossible.

Favre is way out there different as a football player. Flat out one of the most exciting and productive QB's we will ever see in a Packer jersey.

On the negative side.

We all ask the ? Why doesn't he take those 3-5 yards beyond the line of scrimmage and get the first down or allow the punt from there? Take what's given to him. Rather than go for the bomb.

That is what I am looking from Brett Favre more in 2006. Not the go for broke play in the first three quarters. He needs to be more conservative or patient, but that will be tough for him I expect.

I still hope to see that.

mmmdk
07-08-2006, 01:31 AM
Favre will not throw 29 ints. this season, I'm confident about that, Favre could cut that (29) in half - in a perfect world. I'd say anything from 13-20 ints. and between 20-32 Tds. Favre is Favre but the real measuring stick will be McCarthy and his influence on Favre - will McCarthy yank Favre if turns the rock over too much? Wow, that's a tough call but I expect Favre to have a probowl caliber season - this is not homer reasoning. Favre is still a stud.

wist43
07-08-2006, 06:31 AM
Favre's problems, IMO, can be directly traced to Sherman and the rest of the now departed offensive coaching staff.

For the most part, he hasn't received any coaching since Holmgren left. Beyond that, Sherman and Rossley were so predictable in their play calling that teams were sitting on routes and essentially waiting for Favre to get frustrated and start slinging the ball all over the place trying to make a play.

Sherman never made the necessary changes in play calling and tendancies, and he never called Favre out on the carpet.

It's too late to teach an old dog new tricks, and McCarthy certainly doesn't have the cache to pull it off. You wouldn't think Favre could be as bad as last year, but I fully expect his undisciplined play to continue.

the_idle_threat
07-08-2006, 06:40 AM
It's too late to teach an old dog new tricks, and McCarthy certainly doesn't have the cache to pull it off.

Seems a little premature to reach a conclusion on either point.

woodbuck27
07-08-2006, 04:27 PM
"Favre is still a stud." mmmdk

Oh yeaaaaa !

Just ask GBMichele or Grnbay007 or Favrechild or MJZiggy or Mazzin.

He's 'the sexiest man' in the NFL. They will all agree with that observation. :mrgreen:

Besides that. He is STILL a STUD !

Bretsky
07-08-2006, 06:40 PM
Maybe I'm a homer, but IMO Favre can still be a stud and these crap ESPN broadcasts rating the Packers QB situation as #16 in the NFL and the other one rating us in the 20's is junk.

Favre was still a top 10 QB two years ago. Last year our OL stunk, and injuries broke the talent level down to where we were a joke of offense. All this and the lossed broke Favre down some mentally as well.......and all of this led to his poor season.

But these yahoos saying guys like Eli Manning...even McNair....is better....just laughable.

packers11
06-16-2008, 10:09 AM
BUMP... eat it ESPN...

2006 Green Bay Packers Attempts : 613 Comp : Yards : 3885 TD: 18 INT: 18 Rating : 72.7

2007 Green Bay Packers Attempts : 535 Comp : Yards : 4155 TD: 28 INT: 15 Rating : 95.7

oregonpackfan
06-16-2008, 10:22 AM
BUMP... eat it ESPN...

2006 Green Bay Packers Attempts : 613 Comp : Yards : 3885 TD: 18 INT: 18 Rating : 72.7

2007 Green Bay Packers Attempts : 535 Comp : Yards : 4155 TD: 28 INT: 15 Rating : 95.7

Wow! Favre's 2007 stats were remarkable, especially for a 38 year old quarterback.

bobblehead
06-16-2008, 01:23 PM
great thread I wasn't around for, thanx for the bump.

packinpatland
06-16-2008, 04:21 PM
"Favre is still a stud." mmmdk

Oh yeaaaaa !

Just ask GBMichele or Grnbay007 or Favrechild or MJZiggy or Mazzin.

He's 'the sexiest man' in the NFL. They will all agree with that observation. :mrgreen:

Besides that. He is STILL a STUD !

And this statement is still valid. :wink:

woodbuck27
06-16-2008, 07:13 PM

That 'no' play...put a huge target on Favre's back.The 'real' beginning to his end.

A Packer fan and close friend blew a gasket on that play. An easy 6 pt's with almost 'a dive' into the endzone. My fiend burnt me all winter-spring and summer over it.

Enter Ted Thompson and a pile of pain and frustration.

Later that friend was won over by Favre, but that screw-up disgusted him for a long time. :)

One day Favre may answer to this error, as a regret, in his memoirs?

PACKERS FOREVER.

Merlin
06-18-2008, 12:20 PM
The sad part is, if it weren't for Randy Moss in New England, Favre would have won his 4th MVP.

Bretsky
06-18-2008, 09:06 PM
Maybe I'm a homer, but IMO Favre can still be a stud and these crap ESPN broadcasts rating the Packers QB situation as #16 in the NFL and the other one rating us in the 20's is junk.

Favre was still a top 10 QB two years ago. Last year our OL stunk, and injuries broke the talent level down to where we were a joke of offense. All this and the lossed broke Favre down some mentally as well.......and all of this led to his poor season.

But these yahoos saying guys like Eli Manning...even McNair....is better....just laughable.

I was right for once :lol:

MJZiggy
06-18-2008, 09:08 PM
Hey, you're right sometimes!! It usually has nothing to do with football but still! Just kidding. You'll still share your white russians with me this year, right?