01-25-2009, 12:13 PM
Per ESPN Radio.

Debate amongst yourselves.

ND72
01-25-2009, 12:23 PM
yes please.

Patler
01-25-2009, 12:26 PM
With Capers, Trgovac and Edwards it would make Winston Moss' designation as the "Assistant Head Coach" almost comical!

The Shadow
01-25-2009, 12:30 PM
Perhaps we should come up with a few new designations to keep the pecking order -
- Asst. Imperial Wizard
- Asst. Grand Poobah
- Field Marshal
- Minister of the Exchequer

Then everyone could have something a bit grander.

Guiness
01-25-2009, 12:46 PM
Are his job options really that poor?

From HC to DB coach is quite a drop. Does he want/need to keep working that bad? His reputation took quite a beating in KC, maybe he feels he needs to rebuild it, or he's out of the NFL.

I was surprised to see Trgovac taking a demotion to come here, and his was somewhat voluntary, it seemed.

Joemailman
01-25-2009, 12:51 PM
Edwards said after his firing that he was not interested in a DC position. Sounds like he wants to take a step back and just be a coach.

Patler
01-25-2009, 12:55 PM

From HC to DB coach is quite a drop. Does he want/need to keep working that bad? His reputation took quite a beating in KC, maybe he feels he needs to rebuild it, or he's out of the NFL.

I was surprised to see Trgovac taking a demotion to come here, and his was somewhat voluntary, it seemed.

There was a time when position coaches were not real well paid, comparatively. You would often see deposed HCs hired by another team as a "Special Assistant" to the HC, or to one of the coordinators or something that enabled the team to pay them more even though they had limited responsibilities. Within the last few years, coordinators all of a sudden can make a couple million/year; so position coaches can be paid much better too. With Capers making $2.5 million/year or so, guys like Trgovac, Edwards, etc. could easily be paid a million or more. Getting a million a year to do something you really enjoy, with much less public pressure than you experienced the last few years as a HC, DC etc. isn't a bad situation for a few years.

highlander
01-25-2009, 12:59 PM

Capers was the DB coach for NE last year.

TennesseePackerBacker
01-25-2009, 01:20 PM
What in the hell is going on out here? First my favorite college team gets a complete coaching overhaul with a star-studded cast. Now, my favorite pro team is putting together a high profile defensive staff. It'll be interesting to see if and how all these big names work together to right the packer ship.

MadtownPacker
01-25-2009, 01:27 PM
I dont remember the chiefs stopping anyone on defense, ever. Skip him.

PaCkFan_n_MD
01-25-2009, 01:48 PM
I dont remember the chiefs stopping anyone on defense, ever. Skip him.

That may be true, but wasn't he in TB as secondary coach? I believe he helped develop Barber and Lynch into great players. I could be mistaken though, but I think that was when he and Lovie Smith were together. I could be way off base and be thinking of something else.....

BF4MVP
01-25-2009, 01:53 PM
Would be yet another outstanding hire. Make it happen, Coach!

Joemailman
01-25-2009, 01:59 PM
Looks like MM is trying to go from a "Who's He?" group of coaches to a "Who's Who." group of coaches.

Edwards would be a fine hire despite what that grouchy Mexican says. :twisted:

Brohm
01-25-2009, 02:00 PM
I'd be for Edwards. To get to be a DC I'm guessing yuo have had to demonstrate a good ability to teach the positions you were coaching and have a fundumental knowledge of Defense. Coordinate an entire defense, put together a gameplan of run a team as a HC...well that's where some guys reach their cap and fail, thus fall back to something they enjoy and are good at. We have a boatload of youth on our team, what we need now are good teachers.

That being said, who knows what their ambitions are as far as being a DC or HC again. With that in mind, I hope they bring in a bunch of good young assistants to the position coaches that can learn and continue to teach once they decide they want to take another shot again.

mission
01-25-2009, 02:03 PM
Edwards is one of the best DB coaches of the last 20 years... the list of guys he's coached from THIS-to-THAT is pretty impressive.

He says he enjoyed coaching DBs more than anything and I'm assuming his skill with this was the main reason for his rise to head coach. Not necessarily a direct equation.

Also the fact that he won't be relied on to be the top mind putting in the top hours in Green Bay could be a huge reason this might happen. I have to admit, this sounded like a ridiculous suggestion a week ago but after more thinking ... :idea:

rbaloha1
01-25-2009, 02:05 PM
Herm would be an outstanding addition. The Packers should consider themselves fortunate experienced coaches are willing to consider joining the Pack.

Herm most likely has a multi million buyout which explains accepting "only" a DB coach position.

Bub
01-25-2009, 02:47 PM
Maybe these DCs are looking to take a step back and learn the 3-4 from Capers. After a year or two they'd be back in DC positions with their new 4-3 and 3-4 mixes.

red
01-25-2009, 03:28 PM
just an FYI

edwards is a disciple of the tampa two coaching tree

he forced the tampa 2 onto the the d-cord in KC. gunther or whatever his name was, was an in your face beat up the wr's type of guy, edwards was the opposite.

that is what he knows, that is what he will try to run. and if he can't run his system will he be any good?

unless we're going to switch, he isn't worth squat to us

Bretsky
01-25-2009, 04:11 PM
Bring him in as a secondary coach. He's overqualified but that's the guys I want on this staff

BallHawk
01-25-2009, 04:18 PM
just an FYI

he forced the tampa 2 onto the the d-cord in KC. gunther or whatever his name was, was an in your face beat up the wr's type of guy, edwards was the opposite.

that is what he knows, that is what he will try to run. and if he can't run his system will he be any good?

Last time I checked, Dom Capers was our DC. Dom is going to be telling Herm what to coach, not vice-versa.

rbaloha1
01-25-2009, 04:24 PM
just an FYI

Last time I checked, Dom Capers was our DC. Dom is going to be telling Herm what do coach, not vice-versa.

Great point. The Tampa 2 stuff only makes our defense even better.

Allows Capers to decide what to utilize in the scheme.

Partial
01-25-2009, 06:04 PM
Bring him in as a secondary coach. He's overqualified but that's the guys I want on this staff

Yep. Not only does he have a wealth of experience as a coach, but isn't he a HOF corner as well?

Waldo
01-25-2009, 06:09 PM
Edwards was a DB coach in KC when MM was QB coach in the 90's. They ran a 3-4 at the time. Marty S. was the HC.

Waldo
01-25-2009, 06:10 PM
One thing Edwards adds to the mix of coaches is that he would probably be the best motivational coach on the staff. That is definitely his strong point as a coach. He is a great locker room speech guy.

red
01-25-2009, 06:26 PM
has anyone even confirmed this at all?

pft.com has almost the exact same story up. talking about how edwards doesn't want to be a DC and all

except its a rumor about him going to TAMPA bay, not GREEN bay

which makes a lot more sense, thats where he made his name, they run the system he knows well and herm and new bucs coach Raheem Morris have a history. edwards gave morris his big break

article

EDWARDS COULD RETURN TO TAMPA
Posted by Sheil Kapadia on January 25, 2009, 1:49 p.m.

Herm Edwards could be a candidate to coach the defensive backs in Tampa, according to TBO.com.

FoxSports.com’s Jay Glazer reported that Edwards has no desire to be a defensive coordinator, a position he’s never occupied. Instead, he’ll decide between coaching defensive backs, working in TV or taking time off.

“I’m going to take until after the weekend to decide what I want to do next,” Edwards told Glazer. “I need to talk to my wife and see which direction I want to go.”

He is due $3 million from the Chiefs for the remaining year on his contract.

Edwards previously coached the defensive backs in Tampa from 1996-2000.

When he was the head coach of the Jets, Edwards was introduced to Raheem Morris, who was then an assistant at Hofstra. Edwards offered him a minority internship, which Morris points to as the break that got him into the NFL coaching ranks.

BallHawk
01-25-2009, 06:34 PM

Yep. Not only does he have a wealth of experience as a coach, but isn't he a HOF corner as well?

Not HOF, but he had a pretty good career with the Eagles. 33 career INTs ain't too shabby.

Kiwon
01-25-2009, 07:24 PM
Question.

What about staff chemistry? Dom Capers and Herman Edwards are both older, more experienced, and better known to football fans and the press than MM. They each have over double the number of wins that he has as a head coach, albeit over much longer careers (btw, by comparison at this stage in their careers, MM looks very good).

Is everyone such a professional that MM will maintain leadership with his players and Capers and Edwards will keep the appropriate distance between themselves and the press when some reporter wants to invent some headlines?

As Patler mentioned, what about Winston Moss as assistant head coach? Is he up to butting heads with more accomplished staff?

Some things sound good in theory but don't work very well in practice.

run pMc
01-26-2009, 09:54 AM
I'd rather see a cohesive, effective coaching staff than a star-studded collection of coaches. Having said that, if Dom, Trgo, Herm, and Winston (what is this, Ghostbusters IV?) can get along, the experience and coaching skill could pay off big for a young team in transition.

pbmax
01-26-2009, 10:41 AM
Has anyone seen this anywhere else? I am drawing a big blank.

sheepshead
01-26-2009, 10:47 AM
Has anyone seen this anywhere else? I am drawing a big blank.

I was wondering the same thing. The poster didnt even mention the Packers. Are we sure he heard this correctly. That an interview HAS been scheduled at 1265 Lombardi Av with Herm Edwards? If so, when? date and time.

Patler
01-26-2009, 11:09 AM
Looks like we swallowed the bait on this one! :lol:

The original post by Chevelle2 simply said that ESPN reported that Edwards would interview to be a DB coach. He did not say where. The rumor seems to be true, Edwards may interview (or has) ..... but for Tampa Bay. We were encouraged to "debate", and we jumped to a conclusion that the interview was in GB.

Well played, Chevelle2!

pbmax
01-26-2009, 01:28 PM
PFT is saying Herm will not be interviewing in Tampa. But Robert Nunn did get a job working as D Line coach of the Jets.

Guiness
01-29-2009, 01:52 PM
According to ESPN, he's accepted a position as a studio analyst with them.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3869519

Stevogbfan
01-29-2009, 11:32 PM
Edwards chooses studio over sidelines

January 29, 2009 1:07 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Bill Williamson

Herm Edwards is not going to be roaming an NFL sideline in 2009. He's not going to take the year off either.

Edwards has joined the ESPN team.

Less than a week after being fired as head coach of the Kansas City Chiefs, it was announced that Edwards has joined the network as an NFL analyst. He will appear on NFL Live, SportsCenter and ESPNEWS, among other programs. Edwards is set to start his new gig in mid-February.

"I'm excited about the opportunity to join the ESPN team and offer my insight as a former player and head coach. I'm going to be truthful with my opinions on all the issues that take place on and off the field of play," Edwards said in a news release.

Edwards, known for his gregarious personality, briefly worked as a guest analyst for ESPN in the 2008 offseason. The announcement puts to rest thoughts of Edwards becoming an assistant coach in the league next season.

Edwards let it be known that he was more interested in being a secondary coach rather than defensive coordinator in the days after being fired. In the end, Edwards decided that television will be his next move

SnakeLH2006
01-30-2009, 01:21 AM
Is there still money on the table to get Kurt back??... :lol:

mission
01-30-2009, 01:25 AM

I sure hope not.

SnakeLH2006
01-30-2009, 01:31 AM

I sure hope not.

Word has it GB is rolling out a state-of-the-art hydro-electrolyte system and they need someone with experience in the system to distribute to the players. No, you're right, I wouldn't pay Shotty a dime over min. wage to be the waterboy. :x