PDA

View Full Version : Is this a Reggie White year?

Tony Oday
01-25-2009, 03:05 PM
What I mean by this is this the year that we make that splash?

We are 1 for 2 on the big DE deals and we may just do it this year. We need a guy that can play OLB in the 3-4...there is a STUD that WANTS to play for a team that runs the 3-4.

I for one think we would need to sign at least two studs for the front 7. Reggie White, what a lot of people forget, was not the only reason we had a stud line. Lining up Sean Jones on the other side and Dotson in the middle made that line.

Imagine just for a second this starting front 7!

OLB-Peppers, Barnett
ILB-Hawk, Chillar/Pop
DE- Kamp, Jenkins
NT- Pickett

Like I said we need to sign, imo, another NT AND DE to rotate that front 7 and to tell you the truth an experienced ILB would be cool too.

PaCkFan_n_MD
01-25-2009, 03:20 PM
I agree that we should make a push in free agency this year. I guy that no one really talks about is D. Dockett on the cards. I pretty sure he is a free agent and would allow Kampman to line up as a OLB which is what I think they are planning on doing.

Say we do make a splash and sign two players. Imagine this.

Suggs/Kampman (OLBs) Back ups (Thompson/Hunter/Poop)
Barnett/Hawk (ILBs) Back up (Bishop)

Jenkins (Harrell)

Raji? (Pickett)

Dockett (Draft pick?)

It sure is fun to dream.........

PackerPro42
01-25-2009, 07:55 PM
I think we need to leave a spot open for Bishop. I like him a lot. But I agree, we do need to pick up a 3-4 stud. Suggs would be my pick.

PaCkFan_n_MD
01-25-2009, 08:19 PM
http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20090125/PKR07/90125037/1058/PKR01?GID=k9Moc/8kp0pxXwb1GPl5qvblUk7PDnckr6A2cvpYl2k%3D

Mike Vandermause column: Elite players must follow elite coaches

The events of last week might one day be viewed as an important turning point for the Green Bay Packers.

The hiring of Dom Capers as defensive coordinator and Mike Trgovac as defensive line coach don’t guarantee a thing. However, those moves signal a significant change in the landscape at Packers headquarters.

For starters, it shows an unprecedented sense of urgency within the organization. Four years into the tenure of General Manager Ted Thompson and three years into the reign of coach Mike McCarthy, the Packers need to produce results, and they need to do it now.

The radical switch to the 3-4 defense under Capers’ experienced guidance sends a strong message. What Thompson and McCarthy are saying is that what transpired over the past three years on defense was inadequate, and they are willing to do what is necessary to make it right.

It starts by stacking a big pile of money on the table to hire proven defensive coaches. Capers didn’t come cheap. His salary exceeds $2 million per year and likely makes him the highest-paid assistant coach in Packers history.

Trgovac was the Carolina Panthers’ defensive coordinator for the past six seasons and could have remained in that position. It stands to reason that a generous contract, among other factors, helped lure him to Green Bay.

McCarthy has taken an aggressive approach in filling out his staff, which is a good sign. He interviewed some of the best defensive coordinator candidates in the business, including Mike Nolan, Gregg Williams and Jim Haslett. It’s an indication he plans to come out with all guns blazing as the Packers prepare for a pivotal 2009 season.

Thompson must employ the same can-do attitude to upgrade the roster. The healthy return of Cullen Jenkins and Nick Barnett will offer a boost, but more work is needed if Capers has any hope of producing a dominating defense.

It makes no sense to unlock the vault to attract quality coaches but then stop the flow of money when the time comes to sign a free agent. In order to finish the job of transforming the defense, it’s necessary for Thompson to land an impact player during the offseason.

Thompson was desperate enough for a starting cornerback in 2006 to gamble on injury-prone free-agent Charles Woodson, and the move paid major dividends. Thompson is no less desperate now for a front-seven playmaker and must act accordingly.

Speculation that the Packers can no longer attract big-name free agents is idle chatter.

“Before I came here, I was thinking I would never want to play (in Green Bay),” said defensive tackle Ryan Pickett, who signed as a free agent in 2006. “But now that I’m here, I would never want to play with anyone else.”

Sometimes all it takes is a little convincing, and in free agency, nothing works better than large sums of money.

Mike Vandermause is sports editor of the Press-Gazette.

SnakeLH2006
01-27-2009, 03:07 AM
Suggs would be great and I do think we make a boom for one top-notch front 7 stud in FA. We got the cap room and TT knows he can't rest on his laurels ina make or break type year for not only the coaches but him. I do disagree about Kampy though...I think he sheds a bit of weight (word had it he was as low as 265 this year) to 255 and goes to LB....WOULD LOVE Haynesworth at any cost, but word is the Titans are locking him up as I type this. Should be exciting though, as March/April in the NFL FA and Draft is almost as good as the regular season in Snake's book.