PDA

View Full Version : Anybody have one of these?

packinpatland
01-25-2009, 06:07 PM
http://autos.yahoo.com/articles/autos_content_landing_pages/846/dishonorable-mention-the-10-most-embarrassing-award-winners-in-automotive-history

Dishonorable Mention: The 10 Most Embarrassing Award Winners in Automotive History

I didn't post the whole article.........the photos are worth taking a look at. :lol:
Gremlins didn't make the list......whew. :wink:

retailguy
01-25-2009, 06:16 PM
I had a old Renault Alliance, that I bought from a friends brother for $50 after it popped out of gear and ran headfirst into a telephone pole. Had a little circular dent in the front bumper and didn't go into reverse very well. I drove it for 3000 miles, and then sold it for $450 when it needed an oil change.

It was a good college car... :wink:

packinpatland
01-25-2009, 07:20 PM
I lived in Oswego NY for what seemed like a lifetime (the winter of '77).......everyone had a 'winter rat' that they drove during the snow months. About half the cars on the list were the cars of choice.

Brando19
01-25-2009, 07:34 PM
DELETED POST

oregonpackfan
01-26-2009, 02:19 PM
One of my past supervisors had the Vega--it always seemed to be in the shop for repairs.

Why isn't the Pinto on that list? In the mid-70's I was in a long term relationship with a woman who owned a Pinto. When riding in it, I was disturbed by the fact I could hear the gasoline in the tank slosh around.

It was shortly after that time that Consumers Reports published a report that a high number of Pintos were exploding into flames when they were rear-ended by another car!
:shock:

oregonpackfan
01-26-2009, 02:28 PM
Another car that should be on the list is the Chevrolet Corvair. This was one of the defective cars Ralph Nader referred to in his book Unsafe At Any Speed.

In my senior year of college, my roommate had a Corvair he bragged about getting "dirt cheap." He loaned it to me for an afternoon. At freeway speeds of about 60 mph. I had a hard time steering it in straight line(yes, I was cold sober at the time)! The brakes were bad and it had little power.

I understood why he got the car"dirt cheap." :)

Little Whiskey
01-26-2009, 06:07 PM
This is a list of Motor Trends Car of the Year that were disappointments. I doubt the pinto made "car of the year"

digitaldean
01-26-2009, 06:13 PM
This is a list of Motor Trends Car of the Year that were disappointments. I doubt the pinto made "car of the year"

Damn! I actually owned one of those lemons. (Second car after my Datsun B-210 rustbucket had frame issues).

It was by far, the absolute WORST car I've owned. (had to get a car I could afford when my parents split up). Only thing missing was a lemon yellow color for the body!

Mercifully, the tranny died and I donated it to Rawhide.