PDA

View Full Version : Sources: Kevin Greene signed as OLB Coach

gobias
01-26-2009, 02:16 PM
No idea what that guy will be like as a coach, but he was a nasty player. Hopefully he can bring that attitude he played with to our players.

http://www.madison.com/wsj/mad/breaking_news/434818

mraynrand
01-26-2009, 02:25 PM
In related new, Winston Moss has been promoted to 'Inside linebacker coach,' now responsible for two whole positions on the team as well. Frankie Winters has been hired as 'Center Coach,' and Rob Davis will assume duties as 'Long Snapper Coach.'

SkinBasket
01-26-2009, 02:51 PM
Winston Moss is looking more and more like a lawn gnome in our new regime. I like bringing in a guy who's assisted in training camps before and was a standout player in the system we look to transition to. Makes sense to me.

Guiness
01-26-2009, 03:08 PM
Is this for real? If so, WAY too funny - PBMax will be elated, his sig is coming true!

Be interesting to see what this guy brings to the table. Great player with a nasty, nasty disposition. Ever see him go after a fumble?

I don't remember hearing anything about him coaching, but if he can teach what he knows, this will be a great hire.

Don't understand the garden gnome reference - I assume you mean Moss will be a voyeur?

Zool
01-26-2009, 03:32 PM
Lawn Gnome = useless

PlantPage55
01-26-2009, 03:35 PM
No idea what that guy will be like as a coach, but he was a nasty player. Hopefully he can bring that attitude he played with to our players.

You have the best screen name on Packerrats. :lol:

swede
01-26-2009, 03:46 PM
Lawn Gnome = useless

I think Moss is more illuminating than a mere garden gnome.

http://www.lawnjockey.com/images_cav_front.gif

Lurker64
01-26-2009, 03:51 PM
Perhaps Moss's Assistant Head Coaching duties will keep him busy?

sheepshead
01-26-2009, 03:55 PM

ok, ill bite. What does it mean?

PlantPage55
01-26-2009, 03:56 PM

Check out his avatar and you have the co-founders of Gobias Industries right there!

(It's from Arrested Development - one of the most brilliant shows of all time)

sheepshead
01-26-2009, 04:07 PM

Check out his avatar and you have the co-founders of Gobias Industries right there!

(It's from Arrested Development - one of the most brilliant shows of all time)

Ahh, ok, well, ill have to check it out. PlantPage I get-can you believe Bonhams been dead 29 years this fall!??

gobias
01-26-2009, 04:07 PM
A shout out to one of my favorite shows of all time.

Pugger
01-26-2009, 04:30 PM
I read something about Greene doing some intern work coaching not too long ago but that is all the coaching experience he has. I hope he gets after our guys and brings a little intensity to the entire defense. :cow:

Freak Out
01-26-2009, 04:36 PM
If he can teach our LBs to get after the QB and play the way he did we're freaking golden.

sheepshead
01-26-2009, 04:41 PM
Heck, he's only gonna have 6 guys reporting to him (maybe 7 now). If all he does is ramps up AJ's game it'll be worth it.

Partial
01-26-2009, 04:43 PM
I see Moss as McCarthy's go-to guy. I think he's more of an oversee-er of the entire team like MM than a defensive coach.

gobias
01-26-2009, 04:43 PM
Being that he's the OLB coach, I don't know how much time he would actuall be spending with Hawk. I see him working with Kampman a lot trying to develop him from a DE into an OLB.

mission
01-26-2009, 04:44 PM
I had no idea that Greene's 160 (!!!) sacks puts him third all time behind Reg and Bruce Smith...

JSO article here... first line proves they steal from us...
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/38380344.html

Tell me this cat isn't going to help a lot with all the little things!

Lurker64
01-26-2009, 04:54 PM
Being that he's the OLB coach, I don't know how much time he would actuall be spending with Hawk. I see him working with Kampman a lot trying to develop him from a DE into an OLB.

Hawk is an ILB in this system, as is Barnett. One of our OLBs is going to be Kampman (probably the strong side OLB), and the WOLB position is not yet filled.

Does anybody know whether they're going to hire an ILB coach to be with Greene under Moss (similarly to how teams have a Secondary Coach, with CB and S coaches under him), or whether Moss will just become the ILB coach?

Fritz
01-26-2009, 05:00 PM
I don't understand all this - not just a linebackers coach, but one for the inside guys and one for the outside guys. Wouldn't it make more sense to hire a coach for each and every position? A left inside linebacker coach. A right tackle coach. A left defensive end coach.

How are we going to get out of these economic doldrums if small town employers don't hire people? C'mon, Mike.

Lurker64
01-26-2009, 05:05 PM
I don't understand all this - not just a linebackers coach, but one for the inside guys and one for the outside guys. Wouldn't it make more sense to hire a coach for each and every position? A left inside linebacker coach. A right tackle coach. A left defensive end coach.

I think there's a proud tradition of "two starters per position coach", but we could start a trend...

Fritz
01-26-2009, 05:11 PM
I really do think a separate punter/kicker coach might be good...

PlantPage55
01-26-2009, 05:22 PM
can you believe Bonhams been dead 29 years this fall!??

It's a damn shame. :cry:

pbmax
01-26-2009, 05:27 PM

How are we going to get out of these economic doldrums if small town employers don't hire people? C'mon, Mike.
Given them time Fritz, the CBAs uncertain and they may not be able to raise ticket prices this year.

TennesseePackerBacker
01-26-2009, 05:32 PM

couldn't have said it better myself. :(

sheepshead
01-26-2009, 05:32 PM

I know, every once in a while, ill strap on the headphones and just que in on him. He was amazing.

mission
01-26-2009, 05:38 PM
Some of you guys have never been to football practice huh? lol

The notion that Greene is only going to impact players ONLY at OLB (because that's his job title) is laughable. Hawk will definitely gain from this.

Plus they can share hair tips ...

Joemailman
01-26-2009, 05:59 PM
Steelers seemed pretty impressed with Greene from the times he interned with them.
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/38380344.html

Joemailman
01-26-2009, 06:01 PM
DP

ND72
01-26-2009, 06:28 PM
LOVE it. Kevin Greene might tackle some of our players :lol: Awesome hire.

rbaloha1
01-26-2009, 07:07 PM
Another great pick-up. Brings more intensity as opposed to Bob Sanders staff (except for Moss) and wealth of experience in the scheme.

Maybe just maybe Kampy can be successfully converted to an olb.

Bossman641
01-26-2009, 08:02 PM

"I'm afraid that this offer comes off the table at midnight..."
"That may be the worst bluff I've ever heard."

Love that show

Partial
01-26-2009, 08:08 PM

Love that show

Makes you wonder how an unfunny show like the Office can survive while a brilliant show like Arrested Development gets cancelled. :(

texaspackerbacker
01-26-2009, 08:40 PM
I see Moss as McCarthy's go-to guy. I think he's more of an oversee-er of the entire team like MM than a defensive coach.

Exactly. I used to never have an opinion one way or the other about Moss, but the more I read about people irrationally disrespecting him, the more I tend to defend him. I would guess he is well-respected among the players.

swede
01-26-2009, 08:56 PM

Love that show

Makes you wonder how an unfunny show like the Office can survive while a brilliant show like Arrested Development gets cancelled. :(

Don't mean to threadjack, but...

I like The Office. It makes me grin.

But Arrested Development is dangerously funny. My kids turned me on to it and I know from experience that I mustn't eat or drink when watching that show or I run the risk of choking I laugh so hard...and I hardly ever laugh out loud at any show.

Zool
01-26-2009, 09:13 PM

The Office is the funniest show on TV this side of The Family Guy and Robot Chicken.

swede
01-26-2009, 09:24 PM
Back on topic...I am excited about the prospect of having a such a distinguished former player on the coaching staff. Who wouldn't be?

But I have a concern: physically gifted players may understand a lot about their own game, but when they become coaches can they understand and teach players who don't possess the physical skills their coach once had?

Mike Singletary seems to be doing a good job coaching, but he always was a really cerebral, really intense player more than a physical freak.

Let's hope Dom and MM have picked this guy because he's smart. inspiring, and can understand and teach schemes and techniques...to the outside linebackers...and not merely because he was awesome when he played.

I really don't get how the MM who put the first staff together can be the MM who is putting this exciting defensive coaching staff together now. Maybe it's the Dom effect.

Fred's Slacks
01-26-2009, 09:37 PM
Back on topic...I am excited about the prospect of having a such a distinguished former player on the coaching staff. Who wouldn't be?

But I have a concern: physically gifted players may understand a lot about their own game, but when they become coaches can they understand and teach players who don't possess the physical skills their coach once had?

Mike Singletary seems to be doing a good job coaching, but he always was a really cerebral, really intense player more than a physical freak.

Let's hope Dom and MM have picked this guy because he's smart. inspiring, and can understand and teach schemes and techniques...to the outside linebackers...and not merely because he was awesome when he played.

I really don't get how the MM who put the first staff together can be the MM who is putting this exciting defensive coaching staff together now. Maybe it's the Dom effect.

Just a theory here, and I don't know (and I am not going to look up) the exact numbers but I think a big part of it was the fact that MM started as a rookie coach and he was kind of hand cuffed by his own salary. I am guessing he made between $1 and $2 mil per year in his first contract here. So how could he hire a coordinator that made $2 mil a year? In turn how could he then hire a position coach who made close to $1 mil when that would be more then his coordinator? Since he got his extension, the door has been opened and he can dive into pool of highly paid assistants.

edit: fixed my bold tags

Partial
01-26-2009, 09:50 PM

The Office is the funniest show on TV this side of The Family Guy and Robot Chicken.

Yeah, if you like lame ass shows that have jumped the shark. Seriously, the office has sucked balls this year and most of last. Season 2 was golden. It's gone downhill big time since.

30 rock is a million times funnier and much more well written.

Zool
01-26-2009, 09:53 PM

Yeah, if you like lame ass shows that have jumped the shark. Seriously, the office has sucked balls this year and most of last. Season 2 was golden. It's gone downhill big time since.

Head injuries take a long time to recover from huh P?

Partial
01-26-2009, 09:57 PM

There was only one good episode this season, the one where they went to Canada. The rest have been really lame and I think I probably averaged a giggle or two per episode at most.

30 Rock is the new seinfeld. Very well written and witty.

Zool
01-26-2009, 09:58 PM
We'll have to disagree on this one then. Its one of the few shows I go out of my way to watch.

Bossman641
01-26-2009, 10:17 PM

I still watch the Office but I do agree with Partial that it has gone downhill, especially this year. I don't find myself laughing that often during episodes, but it's still better than almost anything else out there.

TennesseePackerBacker
01-26-2009, 11:50 PM

There was only one good episode this season, the one where they went to Canada. The rest have been really lame and I think I probably averaged a giggle or two per episode at most.

I'm not big on any of the corporate comedies, they just don't push the envelope enough for me. If you get a chance check out Testee's or It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, best comedies on since the Chappelle Show.

I love Robot Chicken and Family guy for what they are, but I never laugh as much as I do when I watch the aforementioned. New Office sucks, and old Office wasn't that great either.

Just throwing my 2 cents in to the thread-jacking

TheCheese
01-27-2009, 09:35 AM

Please don't ever compare 30 rock with Seinfeld, ever.

Harlan Huckleby
01-27-2009, 09:42 AM
Please don't ever compare 30 rock with Seinfeld, ever.

Which do you think is better? I'm not sure, I would say they are similar in quality.

swede
01-27-2009, 12:15 PM

Just a theory here, and I don't know (and I am not going to look up) the exact numbers but I think a big part of it was the fact that MM started as a rookie coach and he was kind of hand cuffed by his own salary. I am guessing he made between $1 and $2 mil per year in his first contract here. So how could he hire a coordinator that made $2 mil a year? In turn how could he then hire a position coach who made close to $1 mil when that would be more then his coordinator? Since he got his extension, the door has been opened and he can dive into pool of highly paid assistants.

edit: fixed my bold tags

That actually computes pretty well. The situation for Green Bay is much different than it was in MM's first year. We look to be a team that is only a good defense away from being a dominant force in the NFC. We could launch 2 or 3 head coaches out of that defense if it comes around quickly and they all look like geniuses.