PDA

View Full Version : Brett Favre wants to be a ...

packers11
01-26-2009, 05:07 PM
Viking/Bear?

www.rotoworld.com

SI.com's Peter King said Monday on Pardon the Interruption that he firmly believes Brett Favre will retire this offseason.

King says Favre knows he can still play, but likely "won't play if he can't play where he wants to play." King also said Favre isn't willing to have doctor-recommended surgery on the torn biceps in his throwing arm he played through last year. The Jets will probably go with Kellen Clemens as their starter if Favre retires. They could also bring in a high pick to push Brett Ratliff and Erik Ainge for the backup job. The free agent QB market isn't enticing.

Fritz
01-26-2009, 05:09 PM
...wants to be a guy who sits on a lawn mower with a beer?

Lurker64
01-26-2009, 05:15 PM

Probably, but what Brett wants in February has little to no bearing about what Brett wants in July. Perhaps he will decide he doesn't want to go through team-shopping this offseason, and will just retire when he learns the Jets plan to cut him.

Considering Brett's opinion of himself, and the fact that any team who picks him up this year can only reasonably count on him for one year (if that), and the number of teams who are in the market for a one-year stopgap at QB is likely fairly low, it may not be all that smooth a transition for him.

PlantPage55
01-26-2009, 05:21 PM
Viking/Bear?

Geez. He must have taken far too many hits over the years. If the speculation is true, why in hell would you want to be a Bear or a Viking??? :lol:

I'm not afraid of him - he's a shadow of his former self.

mission
01-26-2009, 05:43 PM
Brett doesn't wanna play against this defense next year. That's for sure ...

Stevogbfan
01-26-2009, 05:43 PM

i wanna be the guy that sits on his lawnmower with a beer!

Harlan Huckleby
01-26-2009, 05:46 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/images/397299/0_61_320_071508_otr_favre.jpg

As far as I'm concerned, its all just rumors until we hear it from Brett on Gretta Van Susteren.

packinpatland
01-26-2009, 10:27 PM
5 pages of Peter King...........Favre tidbit on the last page..that's a first.

So, did he really not attend 16 years worth of springs and summers in GB?

"1. I think the Jets have just sent the divorce papers to Brett Favre. When owner Woody Johnson said Thursday in New York that Favre would have to participate in the offseason program if he wanted to return, he was echoing something felt in the Jets locker room and said openly after the season by safety Kerry Rhodes.

Problem is, Favre will never attend a team's full offseason program. Those programs were ones he skipped for 16 springs and summers in Green Bay -- and you're kidding yourself if you think he's going to move back to New Jersey for 12 to 16 weeks in March. "I've never been in a [full] offseason program,'' Favre told me a month ago.

What makes the most sense now is, sometime after the Super Bowl, Favre and the Jets having an amicable separation, and Favre retiring. This time for good. The Jets have a new coach and need to move on to a new future with Brett Ratliff, Kellen Clemens or a rookie quarterback of the next decade."

texaspackerbacker
01-26-2009, 11:02 PM
If he is released by the Jets and then signs with the Vikings or Bears, are the Packers still entitled to whatever it was--several #1 draft picks? Or was that only if it happened last season? Anybody know for sure?

pbmax
01-26-2009, 11:16 PM

Problem is, Favre will never attend a team's full offseason program. Those programs were ones he skipped for 16 springs and summers in Green Bay -- and you're kidding yourself if you think he's going to move back to New Jersey for 12 to 16 weeks in March. "I've never been in a [full] offseason program,'' Favre told me a month ago.
Don't know about the full offseason program under Holmgren or Rhodes, but after his elbow tendonitis, Sherman cut back on his OTA attendance requirements and the famous pitch count. And he wasn't a regular for that offseason program either, hence the personal trainer. So we can vouch for the last 8 years. Brett seems to be vouching for the first 7 if Peter has the quote right.

pbmax
01-26-2009, 11:18 PM
If he is released by the Jets and then signs with the Vikings or Bears, are the Packers still entitled to whatever it was--several #1 draft picks? Or was that only if it happened last season? Anybody know for sure?
Don't know for sure, but the language that is usually discussed is that the Jets could not trade Favre back to the NFC North without penalty. The Jets also get a pick back if he retires after one year (a seventh, I believe). But I've never seen a mention of what the conditions are if he is released.

SnakeLH2006
01-27-2009, 02:49 AM
(thread title)...a Packer? This is fill in the blank right???

HAHAHA..burning bridges with declining talent at 40 is not conducive to picking your teams anymore...then again he might have to get dragged off the field in 2014 at this rate. :shock:

Pugger
01-27-2009, 07:00 AM
Just for grins lets imagin Brett is released by the Jets and still wants to play. He never has the surgery on his throwing arm and works out in the offseason about as much as he did last year. What team will want a 40 year old QB that may not even pass his physical? Every GM saw how his play deteriorated in December last year.

Brett, do yourself and your legacy a favor and call it a career. Don't hang around like Jerry Rice did and only retire after you are CUT! :shock:

PaCkFan_n_MD
01-27-2009, 07:55 AM
Just for grins lets imagin Brett is released by the Jets and still wants to play. He never has the surgery on his throwing arm and works out in the offseason about as much as he did last year. What team will want a 40 year old QB that may not even pass his physical? Every GM saw how his play deteriorated in December last year.

Brett, do yourself and your legacy a favor and call it a career. Don't hang around like Jerry Rice did and only retire after you are CUT! :shock:

If he is cut and the Vikings or Bears sign him don't we get a first round pick as written in the trade contract? Or is that only if he is traded?

KYPack
01-27-2009, 09:22 AM
Fireman when he grows up?

DonHutson
01-27-2009, 09:57 AM
If he is cut and the Vikings or Bears sign him don't we get a first round pick as written in the trade contract? Or is that only if he is traded?

I would think that only applies if he is traded. The Jets can't control what he does after he's released.

cheesner
01-27-2009, 09:57 AM
A Packer for a day and then retire as a packer.

I believe that will be the next and last NFL contract he signs.

mraynrand
01-27-2009, 12:35 PM

Do you think he will cry again?

MOBB DEEP
01-28-2009, 08:16 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/images/397299/0_61_320_071508_otr_favre.jpg

As far as I'm concerned, its all just rumors until we hear it from Brett on Gretta Van Susteren.

lol

Little Whiskey
01-28-2009, 09:02 PM

Don't know about the full offseason program under Holmgren or Rhodes, but after his elbow tendonitis, Sherman cut back on his OTA attendance requirements and the famous pitch count. And he wasn't a regular for that offseason program either, hence the personal trainer. So we can vouch for the last 8 years. Brett seems to be vouching for the first 7 if Peter has the quote right.

I've got to imagine that in his first couple years, either Jerry Glanville or Mike holmgren had him attending everything.

packinpatland
01-28-2009, 10:02 PM

I've got to imagine that in his first couple years, either Jerry Glanville or Mike holmgren had him attending everything.

Everything.........but the team photo :lol:

BooHoo
01-28-2009, 10:07 PM
Brett Favre wants to be a ......PackerRats member!

Kiwon
01-28-2009, 10:13 PM

Do you think he will cry again?

I predict that Favre and TT will both cry and end the press conference in a sloppy manhug.

Harlan Huckleby
01-28-2009, 10:17 PM
I don't think TT did anything bad to Favre. And I doubt Favre thinks he did anymore. They just need a little makeup sex.

Favre will be welcomed back as a hero in Titletown again, I don't think there are any hard feelings either way. I'm a little mad at 007, but even that can be healed.

BooHoo
01-28-2009, 10:20 PM
It was hard to see Brett come back after that long and emotional press conference. It would have been a great way to ride into the sunset!

GrnBay007
01-28-2009, 10:33 PM
I'm a little mad at 007, but even that can be healed.

HH--> :butt: <--007

:P

mraynrand
01-28-2009, 10:43 PM
The key is whether Favre and Bowflex will ever reconcile. After getting a sculpted, fit core in 2007, Favre fell off the wagon and, instead of a six pack 'o abs for 2008, was trotting around with quarter barrel abs.

Fritz
01-29-2009, 03:14 PM
We love you, man. Come back...once you retire. We'll soon forget the anger and the picks and remember only the touchdown strikes and the raised helmet.

sheepshead
01-29-2009, 03:26 PM
Tampa Bay Buc with Jags as the new OC???????????????????