PDA

View Full Version : Who's the best LB on the board?

packers11
01-26-2009, 05:11 PM
JAMES LAURINAITIS, ILB, OHIO ST.
REY MAUALUGA, ILB, USC
AARON CURRY, OLB, WAKE FOREST

Those are the top 15 in most draft boards... I've heard a lot of hype on Maualuga but for some reason most mock drafts have Curry going ahead of him... Can anyone give good insight on these three???

Partial
01-26-2009, 05:13 PM
Curry reminds me of a Nick Barnett. Maululuga reminds me of Rey Lewis. To be fare, I've never watched Curry play.

TennesseePackerBacker
01-26-2009, 05:29 PM
Really Partial? I see nowhere near the production of Ray Lewis collegiately in terms of Rey and Ray. Curry is certainly the top LB prospect and will go top 10. He has all the tools and none of the question marks.

I think a better comparison to Curry is Demeco Ryans coming out. Both were college OLB's, the difference is Curry is 6'3" while Ryans is 6'1" and Ryans ultimately became a MLB while Curry projects as a great OLB.

Here is a quick bio of his collegiate career shamelessly stolen from Wikipedia.

"Curry plays college football at Wake Forest University. As a freshman he started 10 of 11 games and was the teams fifth leading tackler. After his great season he was named second team Freshman All-American and ACC All-Freshman Team by the Sporting News. As a sophomore in 2006 he started all 14 games at outside linebacker, finishing second on the team in tackles with 83. Curry's breakout season came in 2007. During the season he tied the NCAA record for the most interception returns for touchdown in a season by a linebacker with three. [2] He also broke the school record with 226 interception return yards. He finished the season second on the team and 13th in the ACC in tackles with 99, and earned Second team All-ACC honors and second team All-America honors from CollegeSportsReport.com. After a great season in 2008 he was the winner of the Butkus Award."

We would only be so lucky to have either Raji or Curry falling to us at #9.

mission
01-26-2009, 05:40 PM
Curry plays like a Safety with an LBs body... freak of nature.

Partial
01-26-2009, 05:49 PM
I didn't see Lewis play in college, but 'Luga plays the attacking style while still very good in converage (often found making game changing interceptions and intimidating players over the middle) like Lewis. Pro Lewis and College Luga are similiar players imo.

ND72
01-26-2009, 06:29 PM
I like the other 2 LB's in our situation from USC. I think Cushing & Matthews Jr. will be nasty in the NFL. I think Cushing could step ont he field as our other OLB with Kampy.

TennesseePackerBacker
01-26-2009, 06:56 PM
I like the other 2 LB's in our situation from USC. I think Cushing & Matthews Jr. will be nasty in the NFL. I think Cushing could step ont he field as our other OLB with Kampy.

Doesn't Cushing project mid-late first round? I'd say Matthews Jr. in the 2nd/3rd would be the only one we have a real shot at.

Waldo
01-26-2009, 06:59 PM
Rey is like a little bigger and stronger Hodge. I don't see much difference in their games. Downhill thumpers with little else to their game.

Lurker64
01-26-2009, 07:55 PM
Curry plays like a Safety with an LBs body... freak of nature.

Absolutely. In terms of "being a physical freak of nature", "having all of the mental tools", "schematic flexibility", and "production in college" you cannot beat Curry. Pound for pound, I will take every aspect of Curry's game over the same aspect of any other LB's game.

Curry is an elite prospect, all the other first round LBs are just "first round guys."

Rey is like a little bigger and stronger Hodge. I don't see much difference in their games. Downhill thumpers with little else to their game.

Dead on. I saw a lot of Hodge in college and a lot of Maualuga. They're the same player, but Maualuga is a bit bigger and stronger. Both are guys you put in on running downs, and take off the field on passing downs. Both have limitations that were hidden by the other 6 members of the front seven they were playing with. Even if Maualuga is 1.5xHodge, he's still not worthy of a top 15 pick.

If used correctly in a scheme that minimizes his shortcomings, Maualuga could be quite the intimidator, but that's asking a lot. It worries me that he was making the same mistakes as a senior as that made as a freshman, particularly considering the fact that they USC has some great coaches. Maualuga has more upside, but will probably end up having a less stellar career than at least one of Cushing and Matthews.

digitaldean
01-26-2009, 08:54 PM
1. Maualuga
2. Curry
3. Laurinitis

Maualuga is just a beast as is Curry. Laurinitis is very good, but there's one thing that the bowl games have shown, virtually ALL the Big 10 teams don't have anywhere near the speed of the Pac 10 or SEC schools. Some in the ACC would apply as well.

POLISHHAWK
01-26-2009, 09:44 PM
I was really high on Luga, but had a poor sr bowl week. He did not look the part he played in games. I also think he had alot of talent around him that made him look better than he really is. He is a hitter, and that is why there is buzz about him.

Curry is the most polished out the the 3. I would take him any day of the week @9. Him & Hawk would be a great ILB tandem. This is assuming Barnett can't do the job.

I really don't see TT taking a LB @9 (even though we are going to a 3-4). We are actually gaining a OLB in Kampman and I think Poppinga is more than adequate as a OLB as well. I think they put him @ DE in the last game to see how he can play against OT (I thought he did pretty well).

My opinion is we NEED another DE to play opposite of Jenkins. Not sure Jolly or Cole could do the job. Jury is still out on Thompson though.

Best Bang for our buck would be a top OT or Malcolm Jenkins.

Lurker64
01-26-2009, 09:53 PM
My opinion is we NEED another DE to play opposite of Jenkins. Not sure Jolly or Cole could do the job. Jury is still out on Thompson though.

If Thompson has a position in this defense, it's at OLB (where they will probably give him a shot, I understand he played up and "read and react" a lot in college). The "other DE" is a big question mark, though.

Partial
01-26-2009, 09:56 PM
I have to wonder how much Wake Forest some of you watch? I can understand Mission because he's close, but I have never seen Curry play because I bet there was at most one wake forest game on television up here.

USC on the other hand is on frequently, and 'Luga consistently makes big plays in big games like da pick six he had against OSU. Somehow he has developed a rep as a poor athlete on these boards, but he has been clocked running a 4.5 40.

Dude is a stud. Give me the guy that I have watched and can verify his studliness versus the unknown in Curry any day of the week.

mission
01-26-2009, 10:41 PM
I have to wonder how much Wake Forest some of you watch? I can understand Mission because he's close, but I have never seen Curry play because I bet there was at most one wake forest game on television up here.

USC on the other hand is on frequently, and 'Luga consistently makes big plays in big games like da pick six he had against OSU. Somehow he has developed a rep as a poor athlete on these boards, but he has been clocked running a 4.5 40.

Dude is a stud. Give me the guy that I have watched and can verify his studliness versus the unknown in Curry any day of the week.

Ya, I didn't even know who Maualuga was until the bowl game. No shitin. There's no Pac-10 down here and my roommate is a Georgia Techie so we always had ACC on... I caught 2-3 Wake games... guy reminds me of a bigger/faster Adrian Wilson (Curry) but I really don't see him dropping to #9... I see a lot of drafts having him go Top 3-6.

BZnDallas
01-26-2009, 11:49 PM

Partial... i'm curious what you have to say... i have read that you are high on Luga... i kinda was at first aswell... he did seem to play lights out for USC... what i'm wondering is your opinion on the fact that Rey played WITH alot of other really good talent on the defensive side of the ball for USC... Curry on the other hand hasn't played with that kind of talent and scouts are rating him higher than Rey... what is your opinion on that?... i've read other posts you have and i haven't seen you address this quesiton... i'm just curious...

BZnDallas
01-26-2009, 11:50 PM
i think if anything has been proven in the draft its not always the guys at bigger schools that make the top nfl talent... actually it seems to me that players from larger schools like USC, Texas, Ohio St, Oklahoma, etc... alot of them flop when they get to the pros... whether its b/c they play inferior talent on the college level or they are treated like 'gods' at their schools and throughout college football and then are grunts when they get to the pros, i can't explain it... but guys from smaller schools, maybe b/c they have to work harder day in and day out, seem to make better prospects and even players... i guess it could also be the fact that there are alot more players coming out of the small schools and when one makes it, they shine brighter... who knows??? just one mans opinion...

Lurker64
01-27-2009, 01:45 AM

Virtually every college football game broadcast anywhere on television is available (illegally) via the internet. I caught five Wake Forest games this year: Mississippi, Clemson, Virginia, andBoston College plus their bowl victory over Vanderbilt. Curry impressed me in all games, and I tuned into those games basically to watch him as I was interested in drafting him as junior if he came out (when he was about a third round grade), as an upgrade over Poppinga (plus, he an probably play in the middle.)

Usually, on Saturdays, if I wasn't doing anything other than "watch football" I had at least three games on.

Waldo
01-27-2009, 06:40 AM

Virtually every college football game broadcast anywhere on television is available (illegally) via the internet. I caught five Wake Forest games this year: Mississippi, Clemson, Virginia, andBoston College plus their bowl victory over Vanderbilt. Curry impressed me in all games, and I tuned into those games basically to watch him as I was interested in drafting him as junior if he came out (when he was about a third round grade), as an upgrade over Poppinga (plus, he an probably play in the middle.)

Usually, on Saturdays, if I wasn't doing anything other than "watch football" I had at least three games on.

If you were paying attention to Curry as a Junior, what did you think of Thompson?

KYPack
01-27-2009, 09:04 AM
Clay Matthews Jr.

If bloodlines are any indication, he will play for 25 years, make the Pro Bowl 17 times and never get hurt.

Keep posting, boys. I read PR for all my draftnik information.

Nobody thinks we'll draft a WR or OT, eh?

Partial
01-27-2009, 10:29 AM

Partial... i'm curious what you have to say... i have read that you are high on Luga... i kinda was at first aswell... he did seem to play lights out for USC... what i'm wondering is your opinion on the fact that Rey played WITH alot of other really good talent on the defensive side of the ball for USC... Curry on the other hand hasn't played with that kind of talent and scouts are rating him higher than Rey... what is your opinion on that?... i've read other posts you have and i haven't seen you address this quesiton... i'm just curious...

That's hard to say and something that you have to consider, certainly, but it seems like he is the one making the other players look better, not the other way around.

Waldo
01-27-2009, 10:30 AM
I bet we take a tackle. Every post senior bowl ranking that I've seen puts Raji in the top 10, as high as #4. Even if he falls, to us or near us, someone will trade up to get him. There is a cliff between the top NT talent and the next tier, and both SF and Den are shopping for one. If he makes it to our pick IMO TT will trade down and extract that value.

...but, with Raji likely going in the top 10, along with Crabtree, Jenkins, Curry, Stafford, Sanchez, and likely Orapko, at least one of big Andre, Oher, Monroe, or Jason Smith will fall to our pick. We could trade back to 12 to give Raji to Denver (if he is there at our pick), and still have a good chance that one of the tackles is there, if not Brown will be.

TT just invested more than 60M in a QB. Protecting that investment is very high on the priority list.

wist43
01-27-2009, 12:14 PM
Curry is built like, and seems to play like a 4-3 cover guy... i.e. similar to Barnett, as Partial had said.

Can't see him either taking on and shedding consistently, or being able to provide much pass rush... hence = pass.

As I said in another thread... Orakpo looks like the best bet as a 3-4 outside rush LB.

Lurker64
01-27-2009, 12:58 PM
If you were paying attention to Curry as a Junior, what did you think of Thompson?

I thought Thompson was an interesting prospect. He's was a good athlete and definitely a high motor guy, but he had a weak first step and appeared tentative at times, nothing that couldn't be corrected by coaching and repetitions but I wasn't sure if you could teach aggressiveness (maybe Greene can?).

OLB is probably his more natural position, but I think he's going to be more of a run-stuffing guy than a pass-rushing guy. I look forward to seeing him in the new system though.