PDA

View Full Version : 100-0

Harlan Huckleby
01-26-2009, 05:11 PM
You probably have heard the story of the girls BB team that beat another team 100-0, coach fired for running up score.

http://sports.espn.go.com/highschool/rise/basketball/girls/news/story?id=3859935

I understand the argument for playing hard from start to finish.

But there also is sportsmanship, or sportswomanship in this case. I think the firing is deserved. And the coach now can go through life claiming he was a victim of political correctness, that's worth something.

Cheesehead Craig
01-26-2009, 05:17 PM
Grimes wrote in the e-mail, according to the newspaper. "We played the game as it was meant to be played. My values and my beliefs would not allow me to run up the score on any opponent..."

Really Mr. Grimes? So when shooting 3 pointers in the 4th that wasn't running up the score huh?

Texas sports in general are way out of whack. I was at a 3rd grade girls game once and the parents and coaches were going out of their minds at the official about calls. It was embarrassing to watch.

texaspackerbacker
01-26-2009, 05:18 PM
Gosh, I saw the title, and I thought it would be you crowing about Hillary's confirmation total or something.

Harlan Huckleby
01-26-2009, 05:19 PM
not just 3-point shots, they also ran a full court press until the end. :lol:

The losing team had 20 girls in the whole school, it was a school for kids with learning disabilities.

This is rich.

Harlan Huckleby
01-26-2009, 05:20 PM
Gosh, I saw the title, and I thought it would be you crowing about Hillary's confirmation total or something.

I think there was 1 republican who voted against her.

I expect he will wake-up with a horse's head in his bed some day soon.

sheepshead
01-26-2009, 05:29 PM
You probably have heard the story of the girls BB team that beat another team 100-0, coach fired for running up score.

http://sports.espn.go.com/highschool/rise/basketball/girls/news/story?id=3859935

I understand the argument for playing hard from start to finish.

But there also is sportsmanship, or sportswomanship in this case. I think the firing is deserved. And the coach now can go through life claiming he was a victim of political correctness, that's worth something.

This is bad, I have coached kids for a number of years. Basketball included.There are any number of things he could have done. No 3s, no lay ups. Stay more than arms length on D. No fast breaks. Bench the starters immediately. The ball touches all five girls before shooting. Plenty of things to do and everyone gets something out of the game. What an ass.

Freak Out
01-26-2009, 05:43 PM
not just 3-point shots, they also ran a full court press until the end. :lol:

The losing team had 20 girls in the whole school, it was a school for kids with learning disabilities.

This is rich.

Nice.....nothing like a little sportsmanship.

digitaldean
01-26-2009, 05:58 PM
Kind of reminds me of when my oldest daughter was playing in their Lutheran grade school league. Our team was mainly 5th-6th graders playing 7th-8th graders (had no choice due to enrollment numbers).

We were down 47-0 and the jackass coach (who was the principal) kept pressing. Crowd was catcalling that (and we were the visitors!). Their team had our number the next year too, but not nearly as bad. Then their team had the same enrollment numbers we had, but instead of fielding a team, they forfeited their season. My kid's team won the conference tournament finally that season.
______

That coach in Texas deserved to get canned. He totally misrepresented what youth sports is to be about. Yes, you play to win. But you do NOT humiliate your opponent. Bench your starters, play the scrubs and ask for a running clock. Anything to avoid this situation.

Partial
01-26-2009, 06:04 PM
That's ridiculous someone was fired for that! America has become so soft. I agree they shouldn't have been running up the score, but perhaps the other team should have tried harder in the off-season. Life isn't about making everything equal and fair. Those chicks dominated because they were better. They didn't dominate because they were equal.

packinpatland
01-26-2009, 06:24 PM
That's ridiculous someone was fired for that! America has become so soft. I agree they shouldn't have been running up the score, but perhaps the other team should have tried harder in the off-season. Life isn't about making everything equal and fair. Those chicks dominated because they were better. They didn't dominate because they were equal.

When my girls played softball, there was a mercy rule. Why isn't there one in place for basketball?

As far as the coach getting fired.....to quote Martha, "it was a good thing".

Partial
01-26-2009, 06:35 PM
Mercy rule is another example of America getting soft. While I personally am not a dick and wouldn't run the score up, I don't think anyone should be told they can or cannot, and certainly should not be fired for having a fantastic team that is well-prepared and dominating.

bobblehead
01-26-2009, 06:40 PM
The coach missed a great example to show his young players how to act with compassion and class. Instead he taught them how to be an ass.

packinpatland
01-26-2009, 06:59 PM
Mercy rule is another example of America getting soft. While I personally am not a dick and wouldn't run the score up, I don't think anyone should be told they can or cannot, and certainly should not be fired for having a fantastic team that is well-prepared and dominating.

Explain to me how the mercy rule is 'soft'? I think it keeps the dignity of both teams intact.

hoosier
01-26-2009, 07:07 PM
How often does a girls HS basketball team--or any HS basketball team for that matter--have the chance to hit the century mark and pitch a shutout? From the description of fans and assistant coaches whooping it up in the fourth quarter, it sounds like everyone just kind of got carried away by the moment. To fire the coach for this seems kind of over the top....though it is a parochial league so maybe over the top is par for the course. A more appropriate punishment would be to sentence the guy to watch a complete season of Detroit Lions games.

HowardRoark
01-26-2009, 07:12 PM
...though it is a parochial league so maybe over the top is par for the course.

Good point, we parochial schoolers should emulate the government school basketball games....

Chicago schools to ban fans from some games

4:59 AM CST, January 23, 2009

CHICAGO - Chicago Public School administrators say a recent spike in violence has driven them to take the rare step of barring fans from some high school basketball games.

Sports administration director Calvin Davis says that for the rest of the season, the district will keep fans out of games between schools that have a history of conflict. He says in all cases fans from visiting teams will be banned.

The decision comes after a CPS basketball player was shot in the leg Tuesday during a post-game gathering. On Thursday, police had to be called to another school to break up a brawl started by two female spectators.

And on Jan. 9, five people were shot outside a basketball game at a south side Chicago school. They were treated for non-life-threatening injuries.

texaspackerbacker
01-26-2009, 07:22 PM
OK, I'll jump on the bandwagon here, and say the coach probably deserved to get fired.

I bet there is more to this story than has surfaced, though--what I don't know.

Harlan Huckleby
01-26-2009, 07:27 PM
To fire the coach for this seems kind of over the top....

Its not like he got fired from his job, just relieved of coaching duties.

HS coaches usually end up working for about 4 cents per hour. ( Nutz coaches HS wrestling for 2 cents hour because he enjoys the contact with boys.)

I think this coach will carry his firing throughout life as a badge of honor. Probably make some money giving motivational speeches on "Always going 100%" to Texas local chambers of commerce and ELKS clubs. I shed no tears for him.

Gunakor
01-26-2009, 07:35 PM

This is the way I feel about PRO athletes. Ones who have been through the ringer, and emerged as one of the elite few who get paid to play a kids game. I had no problem with the Patriots from a couple seasons ago going for it on 4th down, up 50 points late in the 4th quarter. At the end of the day, the defeated collected their game checks too.

I do NOT feel this same way about high school/amateur athletes. If you win 50-0 you still have dominated. That would have proven that they were better just as well as scoring 100 did. Sportsmanship is very relevant and extremely important in amateur sports IMO.

Then I read that the defeated were from a tiny school specializing in the care of kids with learning disabilities... This makes me sick. Of course they weren't equal. They knew that going into the game. So, what, just because you can beat an inferior opponent by 100 means you SHOULD? In the pros maybe, but not against a HS team from a tiny private school for kids with learning disabilities. It's unnecessary.

swede
01-26-2009, 08:50 PM
Don't feel bad for the coach. He's found a job which better suits his personality.

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z236/dsteenswede44/spotty-seal.jpg

mraynrand
01-26-2009, 09:40 PM
I reffed games when I was at the U of MN. We had a team that had two or three former Stevens Point players and one game they beat a team 117 to 15. The 15 points all came from 22 technical free throws that we had to hand out for dunking. No one apologized. no one was fired. (P.S. my IM team lost 70-40 to the same 'Point' team. They won, but we beat the shit out of them physically).

oregonpackfan
01-27-2009, 12:12 AM

When my girls played softball, there was a mercy rule. Why isn't there one in place for basketball?

As far as the coach getting fired.....to quote Martha, "it was a good thing".

When I coached rec girls basketball, we used a running clock when the score got lopsided. As another poster mentioned, there was no full-court presses, the starters sat on the bench, more passes were encouraged by the winning team, etc.

pacfan
01-27-2009, 06:30 AM
I reffed games when I was at the U of MN. We had a team that had two or three former Stevens Point players and one game they beat a team 117 to 15. The 15 points all came from 22 technical free throws that we had to hand out for dunking. No one apologized. no one was fired. (P.S. my IM team lost 70-40 to the same 'Point' team. They won, but we beat the shit out of them physically).

:lol:

mraynrand
01-27-2009, 08:11 AM
I think Quintus said it best: "People Should Know When They Are Conquered" Run that score up.

LEWCWA
01-28-2009, 12:56 AM
I don't think he got fired for running up the score. After the game the winning school came out and apologized and actually wanted to forfiet the game. Thing is the coach wouldn't admit what they did was wrong and that is what got him fired! Good thing, too. As sports fans, we are so in tune with win at all cost in high profile athletics, that we forget that most amatuer athletics are for teaching sportsmanship, teamwork, hardwork, commitment, etc....when we lose sight of this as parents and coaches we have lost everything and should look for another hobby or line of work.

LEWCWA
01-28-2009, 12:58 AM
Don't get me wrong, winning is still much more fun than losing! You just don't have to embarrass you opponent to have fun!

Tyrone Bigguns
01-28-2009, 03:44 PM
To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.

Zool
01-28-2009, 03:52 PM
We'll give em the old #6
We'll go riding into town a whoopin and a whoppin everything that moves within an inch of its life.

You spare the women?

Naw we rape the shit outa them.