PDA

View Full Version : Moving companies

GBRulz
01-26-2009, 07:47 PM
I have decided to take a job transfer to a place far, far away. No longer will I be able to say "closer to Lambeau than you" sniffle.

Anyhow, I'm looking at moving companies and saw a place called PODS. Just wondering if anyone has ever used them and if they had any thoughts?

A full service moving company would be like $5,000 to move my things. However, this PODS deal will cost about half of that. Basically, they drop off a box (8'x8'x16')for you to pack all your stuff in and then they drive it to your destination for you. It looks very convenient and they will also store your items in one of their storage facilities until you need them.

Anyone ever used AMF U-Pack moving service? That's another type of service where you basically pack up the truck and they drive it for you.

BallHawk
01-26-2009, 07:48 PM
You better be going someplace warm.

GBRulz
01-26-2009, 07:49 PM
I am! It's funny because this morning I talked to my manager-to-be and he said it's "very chilly" at 44 degrees.

North Carolina. Go Panthers...LOL

Harlan Huckleby
01-26-2009, 07:55 PM
you can hire me to do the move. I have a bad knee and can't do any heavy lifting, so it will be largely self-service. but I will work cheap.

Little Whiskey
01-26-2009, 08:08 PM

better have been an offer you couldn't refuse.

should have negotiated you move with your transfer......otherwise bug some family and friends.

Freak Out
01-26-2009, 08:27 PM
Sell everything.

packinpatland
01-26-2009, 08:28 PM
Do the Packers play the Panthers this coming season?

Just a thought for a future PR game........ :lol:

Brando19
01-26-2009, 08:39 PM
No the Panthers do not play the Packers this coming season. Hey GBRulz...you gonna be living close to Charlotte or somewhere near the northern part of NC? I live about 2 hours from Charlotte and about 1 hour and 20 minutes from NC. You'll like it.

Zool
01-26-2009, 09:05 PM
I have decided to take a job transfer to a place far, far away. No longer will I be able to say "closer to Lambeau than you" sniffle.

Anyhow, I'm looking at moving companies and saw a place called PODS. Just wondering if anyone has ever used them and if they had any thoughts?

A full service moving company would be like $5,000 to move my things. However, this PODS deal will cost about half of that. Basically, they drop off a box (8'x8'x16')for you to pack all your stuff in and then they drive it to your destination for you. It looks very convenient and they will also store your items in one of their storage facilities until you need them.

Anyone ever used AMF U-Pack moving service? That's another type of service where you basically pack up the truck and they drive it for you.

My sister used a PODS for her last move because their new house was not yet done. Its basically like you said. They drop off the box, you fill it up, they take it where you need it. Being that they didnt need it for 3 months PODS stored it too. All went really smooth for them.

BallHawk
01-26-2009, 09:15 PM
I am! It's funny because this morning I talked to my manager-to-be and he said it's "very chilly" at 44 degrees.

Nice choice. I don't know whether you'll be in Charlotte or around there, but Charlotte's a nice city, as is Raleigh.

GBRulz
01-26-2009, 09:28 PM
you can hire me to do the move. I have a bad knee and can't do any heavy lifting, so it will be largely self-service. but I will work cheap.

You might be cheap, but are you easy? :P

GBRulz
01-26-2009, 09:31 PM
better have been an offer you couldn't refuse.

should have negotiated you move with your transfer......otherwise bug some family and friends.

Well, normally I'd have to agree with you, but with the way the economy is these days, there is only so much negotiating one can do. If I won't go, they can find someone who will without having to pay expenses. For the most part, they are taking care of me so I can't really complain about anything.

My nephew just got laid off from his job and he offered to move me. Said he would do it for the cost of beer, but it might be cheaper if I just paid him in cash, lol.

mraynrand
01-26-2009, 09:33 PM
I think this guy will move you for less than 500 bucks. He needs the cash.

http://i453.photobucket.com/albums/qq254/mraynrand/Cleedeeusinuhaultruck.jpg

GBRulz
01-26-2009, 09:37 PM
No the Panthers do not play the Packers this coming season. Hey GBRulz...you gonna be living close to Charlotte or somewhere near the northern part of NC? I live about 2 hours from Charlotte and about 1 hour and 20 minutes from NC. You'll like it.

The Packers play down at Carolina in 2011....trust me, I've already looked!!

I'll be about 2 hours west of Charlotte.

GBRulz
01-26-2009, 09:38 PM
I think this guy will move you for less than 500 bucks. He needs the cash.

http://i453.photobucket.com/albums/qq254/mraynrand/Cleedeeusinuhaultruck.jpg

He might pawn off my things along the way :)

Brando19
01-26-2009, 09:45 PM

Without a shadow of a doubt...I'll be there! The last time the Packers were in Charlotte...I was there. It was October 3, 2005 on Monday Night Football. Charlotte is an awesome city.

BallHawk
01-26-2009, 10:13 PM

Asheville, I presume?

Partial
01-26-2009, 10:28 PM
Good luck with the move! I'm going to miss the PR game at your house, but I suppose in this economy you've certainly gotta do whatever you can to keep your head above water. GL Michelle!

arcilite
01-26-2009, 10:48 PM
North Carolina is a dirty state. I hate driving through it when I goto Myrtle beach.

BallHawk
01-26-2009, 11:10 PM
North Carolina is a dirty state. I hate driving through it when I goto Myrtle beach.

Charlotte and Raleigh are a helluva lot cleaner than Richmond, though, that's for sure.

oregonpackfan
01-27-2009, 12:06 AM

Sorry to learn you are leaving Wisconsin, GBRulz. You are like a doting Mother Hen for all of us chicks to come to the PR games in Green Bay.

Good luck to you!

arcilite
01-27-2009, 09:35 AM

Charlotte and Raleigh are a helluva lot cleaner than Richmond, though, that's for sure.

I would put them on par with Richmond.

Richmond is awful as well

packinpatland
01-27-2009, 10:52 AM

Your comment reminds me of my daugter's friends when she was going to Drew University in NJ. Any of them coming from the north, HATED Connecticut. They based that on having to drive I-95 thru the state.

BallHawk
01-27-2009, 05:48 PM

I would put them on par with Richmond.

Richmond is awful as well

Charlotte has way more to offer than Richmond. Richmond is comprised of crappy old buildings that haven't gone out of business and crappy old buildings that have gone out of business. Then you have a minuscule nice area in the Shuckoe Slip.....and then the suburbs.

Charlotte was nice when I was there. Much, much cleaner.