PDA

View Full Version : Stats

HarveyWallbangers
01-27-2009, 01:07 PM
Some interesting numbers.

http://www.packers.com/news/stories/2009/01/27/1/

0: The number of offensive possessions the Packers had in two overtime games this season. Both OT periods, at Tennessee and at Chicago, ended as the Titans and Bears won the coin tosses and kicked field goals on the opening drives. Prior to '08, the Packers' last two regular-season overtime games also ended in one possession, with Green Bay coming out on top by scoring a touchdown on the first snap at Denver in '07 and kicking a field goal on the opening OT drive vs. Detroit in '05.

Some in the media have been calling for the NFL to look into changing the current sudden-death overtime format. They point out that in the last five years, 28 of 72 overtime games, or 39 percent, have been decided in one possession. The Packers have been involved in four of those, going 2-2. In the Packers' overtime loss to the N.Y. Giants in the NFC Championship last year, the extra session lasted two possessions...

5: The number of 100-yard receiving games turned in by Jennings, one more than the total of 100-yard games he had in his first two seasons combined. Jennings put up a career-best 167 yards at Detroit on Sept. 14, which beat the 141 yards he had at Denver on Oct. 29, 2007. With nine 100-yard games in three seasons, Jennings is at nearly half of Donald Driver's career total of 20 over the past 10 years...

7: The number of times the Packers scored 10 or more points in the fourth quarter this season. Unfortunately, the Packers' record in those seven games was just 4-3. The Packers scored 150 of their 419 points in the fourth quarter this season, by far their most productive quarter at 35.8 percent, and they were never shut out in the fourth. Contrast that with the first quarter, which was the team's worst with just 61 points (14.6 percent). The Packers were blanked in the first quarter six times and never scored more than seven points in the opening quarter until Week 17...

8: The number of replay challenges by opposing coaches this season, and they were successful only one time. Opposing teams were 0-for-7 in their challenges until the season finale when Detroit challenged Ryan Grant's 80-yard touchdown run and had it changed to a 21-yard run when it was ruled Grant was down by contact. For the Packers, McCarthy was successful on 4-of-7 challenges this season, a 57 percent rate that was tops in the NFC North, ahead of Minnesota (5-of-11, 45 percent), Chicago (4-of-10, 40 percent) and Detroit (4-of-10, 40 percent)...

11: The total number of defensive pass interference penalties enforced in the Packers' games this season, nine of them against the Packers. Opponents were called for just two defensive pass interference penalties for 32 yards, while the Packers' nine infractions cost them 150 yards. Neither of the Packers' Pro Bowlers, Woodson or Collins, had a pass interference penalty this season, and those two led the team in passes defensed, with 20 and 18, respectively...

16: The number of plays on the Packers' longest scoring drive in terms of snaps and time consumed in 2008. Against Carolina, the Packers drove 79 yards in 16 plays, possessing the ball for 9 minutes, 13 seconds, of the fourth quarter, and kicked a 19-yard field goal. For the season, the Packers had 26 scoring drives of 10 plays-or-more, including three of 15 plays. Unfortunately, almost half of those 10-or-more-play drives, 12 of them, resulted in field goals.

bobblehead
01-27-2009, 01:24 PM
Very telling. To summarize:

Officials didn't err our way very often. PI is only a penalty on the packers, not against.

ARod is pretty damn effective in the 4th quarter. The carolina stat makes me sick...a 9 minute drive and we gave up 2 4th Q scores in that game.

I'll add one...

2: the number of phantom holding calls that killed key 4th quarter drives and probably lost the packers both games.

Waldo
01-27-2009, 02:25 PM
I don't have a source, but I read that GB was both the statistically best and worst team in the 4th quarter in '08. Our offense scored more 4th quarter points than any team in the NFL. Our defense also yielded more 4th quarter points than anybody else.

When the score was within 7 points or less with 5:00 or less in the game, out of 13 drives our defense prevented the opponents from scoring 3 times (not including kneeldowns). More than half resulted in TD's.

Noodle
01-27-2009, 03:04 PM
No PI against our two CBs? That is friggin amazing. Seriously, I wonder how that stacks up in the league. I know that AH gets a hold or illegal contact now and then, but to have no PIs against either is staggering, expecially when the league seems to be so ticky tacky on those calls.

HarveyWallbangers
01-27-2009, 03:15 PM
No PI against our two CBs?

Re-read the article. No PIs against Woodson and COLLINS.

KYPack
01-27-2009, 03:38 PM
I don't have a source, but I read that GB was both the statistically best and worst team in the 4th quarter in '08. Our offense scored more 4th quarter points than any team in the NFL. Our defense also yielded more 4th quarter points than anybody else.

When the score was within 7 points or less with 5:00 or less in the game, out of 13 drives our defense prevented the opponents from scoring 3 times (not including kneeldowns). More than half resulted in TD's.

I heard the one about the offense.

That's the first I heard that the D was the worst.

Where could ya look something like that up?

Fritz
01-27-2009, 09:30 PM

Wow. Those numbers confirm what it felt like to me as I watched or tracked the games this past season.

They sucked!