PDA

View Full Version : Rate the D coaching staff

Partial
01-27-2009, 06:28 PM
see above

Rastak
01-27-2009, 06:33 PM
see above

The fired ones or the ones that haven't done anything yet?

Partial
01-27-2009, 06:39 PM
The ones who haven't done anything yet.

I'd say the level fo coaching talent that we have now is significantly better than the low-level Vanilla Bob led staff we had before. All across the board I feel like we have credible, legit NFL coaches now!

Iron Mike
01-27-2009, 06:41 PM
http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n125/lbrownie/dennis-green-crown.jpg

They are who we thought they were. :P

mission
01-27-2009, 06:50 PM
http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n125/lbrownie/dennis-green-crown.jpg

They are who we thought they were. :P

Ya I almost voted an F just because it's... well... obvious... we've never had "coaching depth" on that side of the ball. That I recall at least.

I just love that Kevin Greene is (hopefully) going to be roaming our sidelines. They better keep him outta the booth. As much as it might be a novelty pick, I've cried for intensity since the day I signed up on PR and everywhere else...

Iron Mike
01-27-2009, 06:56 PM
I just love that Kevin Greene is (hopefully) going to be roaming our sidelines.

Next tackle that Poppinga misses, he's getting a chair shot.

http://slam.canoe.ca/WrestlingImagesHogan/hogan_savage_green.jpg

HarveyWallbangers
01-27-2009, 07:12 PM

I'd say Dom Capers, Mike Trgovac, and Darren Perry have done a lot. They haven't done anything with the Packers yet, but I think it's pretty clear what Partial means here. It's hard not to like the hires. On paper, it looks good. Of course, championships aren't won on paper.

Brando19
01-27-2009, 07:14 PM
see above

The ones that are going to coach to stop Adrian Peterson in his tracks. :P

Rastak
01-27-2009, 07:20 PM

I'd say Dom Capers, Mike Trgovac, and Darren Perry have done a lot. They haven't done anything with the Packers yet, but I think it's pretty clear what Partial means here. It's hard not to like the hires. On paper, it looks good. Of course, championships aren't won on paper.

Yea, that's the thing. I'd be excited if I were you but you have to see how it translates on the field, both with the players in a new system and how the new coaches blend. This stuff is never a slam dunk but as I said, I would be fired up in your shoes.

edit: I'll be nice and won't go with the paper champion shit I hear every year.

:wink:

NFC North Champions

HarveyWallbangers
01-27-2009, 07:33 PM

After Thompson mostly sits out another FA spending spree, we likely won't be the paper champions next year.

Lurker64
01-27-2009, 07:51 PM

So, honestly, who do you think is going to win the offseason this year? I think the division, conference, and league races are wide open at this point.

Rastak
01-27-2009, 07:58 PM

So, honestly, who do you think is going to win the offseason this year? I think the division, conference, and league races are wide open at this point.

Win the offseason? Hmmm, hard to say. Green Bay ha sa nice pick as do the Lions. Green Bay has loads of money as do the Vikings, although they have some guys to sign so Green Bay has an big advantage.

On paper, the defensive staff moves look good for GB. I'd say Green Bay looks pretty good right now. Depends what the Vikings do at QB in the end I think.

texaspackerbacker
01-27-2009, 08:05 PM
I'll give the new guys a preseason grade of B--the same as I would give the outgoing guys for their performance over the last several seasons.

Badgerinmaine
01-27-2009, 09:15 PM
An incomplete. 8-)

cpk1994
01-28-2009, 09:56 AM

After Thompson mostly sits out another FA spending spree, we likely won't be the paper champions next year.Well the Vikings have been paper champions for the last 7 or 8 straight off-seasons. So it won't matter what TT does or doesn't do. :lol:

mraynrand
01-28-2009, 10:59 AM
It doesn't matter what grade you give them, they're still getting extra homework. And detention.

sheepshead
01-28-2009, 12:06 PM
Yeah, dont we have to see a few football games first?

Gunakor
01-28-2009, 01:05 PM

No. We are rating the defensive coaching staff, not the players. All of these guys MM and DC hired on this staff have been to Super Bowls. They are all proven effective at what they do, and have recieved high praise from other quality defensive minds around the league. They are all high quality coaches who have tutored high quality players playing in high quality systems. That's what we are rating here.

Who on earth gave them an "F"?

AV David
01-28-2009, 01:19 PM
The "F" grade in the poll HAS to be PacoPete.

Lurker64
01-28-2009, 01:32 PM
The "F" grade in the poll HAS to be PacoPete.

I believe he's been granted a 2-week vacation from this board, but we have other people for whom the Packer administration can do no right.

Alternatively, it's from someone who doesn't believe in grading a coaching staff on paper, though in that case it would be more reasonable to just not vote.

sheepshead
01-28-2009, 02:50 PM

No. We are rating the defensive coaching staff, not the players. All of these guys MM and DC hired on this staff have been to Super Bowls. They are all proven effective at what they do, and have recieved high praise from other quality defensive minds around the league. They are all high quality coaches who have tutored high quality players playing in high quality systems. That's what we are rating here.

So what are we rating? The fact that they took the jobs?? I'm confused. Their resumes? Maybe somebody needs to post them.

Gunakor
01-28-2009, 03:06 PM

So what are we rating? The fact that they took the jobs?? I'm confused. Their resumes? Maybe somebody needs to post them.

We could post them. Or you could go look them up if you wanted too. It's not hard to find, but I'll summarize best I can.

Capers was the DC for the Blitzburgh Steelers of the early 90's. He ran that defense when Pittsburgh went to SB 30, losing to the Dallas Cowboys. He's had HC gigs for the expansion Carolina Panthers (he was their HC the year they lost the NFCC at Lambeau), and the expansion Houston Texans.

Trgovac has been the DC for the Carolina Panthers for several years now. He ran that defense when Carolina advanced to SB 38, losing to the New England Patriots. He'll be coaching our DL, a position that has been the strength of the Panthers defense for quite some time.

Darren Perry was the defensive backs coach for Bill Cowher, but was not rehired on Tomlin's staff after Cowher retired. He played for Capers as a DB for the Steelers in the 90's. As a coach, he tutored Troy Polamalu early on in his career. He was in charge of the Steelers defensive backfield when they beat the Seattle Seahawks in SB 40. After not being rehired in Pittsburgh when Tomlin took over, he took a no-win job with Oakland as their DB coach working with Nnamdi Asomugha (sp.).

Dick LeBeau has been quoted this week as saying that Darren Perry is the finest DB coach in the entire league, and seeing how he's the DC for the #1 ranked defense in the NFL I think he might know what he's talking about.

So, how would you rate this staff, based on what they've accomplished in their respective coaching careers? What they accomplish with our squad this year has yet to be determined, of course, but their track records as coaches are all outstanding.

rbaloha1
01-28-2009, 04:19 PM
On paper--wonderful. Excellent combination of experience, coaches recently playing in the scheme and fiery coaches.

Expect enough defensive improvement to reach the playoffs.

Patler
01-28-2009, 05:04 PM
All those wonderful credentials mean nothing if they can't work together as a team. I have no reason to believe it will be a problem, but if there is any kind of power struggle between them, it won't matter how successful they were in the past.

HarveyWallbangers
01-28-2009, 05:11 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/38559842.html

Looks like McCarthy brought in another experienced coach. The new strength and conditioning coach has won "several yearly honors as strength and conditioning coach of the year". This guy does have a history with McCarthy, but it looks like he's extremely qualified.

Gunakor
01-28-2009, 05:21 PM
All those wonderful credentials mean nothing if they can't work together as a team. I have no reason to believe it will be a problem, but if there is any kind of power struggle between them, it won't matter how successful they were in the past.

Most of these guys are Steelers. I don't forsee a problem there. They are already a team, and Capers has always been the boss. Now is no different.

Come to think of it, McCarthy was a Steeler back then too. I think I have a pretty good idea of what Mike's vision for this defense was/is. That's pretty lofty expectations, but he's got the right guys to get it done.

Bretsky
01-28-2009, 07:01 PM
We should just hope TT brings in the quality from FA and the Draft that MM has brought to his coaching stsff :!: :idea:

Pugger
01-29-2009, 06:07 PM
I gave them a B considering how they look on paper. It will be fun to watch and hopefully see big improvement on the field (can't get much worse than last year, right? :wink: ). :cow:

SnakeLH2006
01-30-2009, 01:38 AM
I just love that Kevin Greene is (hopefully) going to be roaming our sidelines.

Next tackle that Poppinga misses, he's getting a chair shot.

http://slam.canoe.ca/WrestlingImagesHogan/hogan_savage_green.jpg

Word has it Goldberg is coming in as a Defensive Intensity Expert too. :shock:

http://www.billgoldberg.info/images/Bill%20Goldberg/Bill_Goldberg_Falcons.jpg