PDA

View Full Version : Winter weather

packinpatland
01-27-2009, 09:20 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090127/ap_on_re_us/winter_storm

This is supposed to hit the East Coast tonight.........anyone been inconvienced by this latest one?

Joemailman
01-27-2009, 09:26 PM
Too damn cold here for an ice storm. 15 below when I left for work this morning.

Be warned...Skin hates weather threads.

packinpatland
01-27-2009, 09:30 PM
I think Skin hates.............. :roll: (I missed using that little guy :roll: )

Brando19
01-27-2009, 10:04 PM
We had alot of ice here today...and our Governor issued a statement in which all state employees were allowed to go home at 2 pm because of the conditions. Ice sucks.

packinpatland
01-28-2009, 07:24 PM
This is very odd............after the snow stopped this morning, it's been raining all day. Now, we're having what looks and sounds like a summer thunder storm! Emphasis on THUNDER!

Tyrone Bigguns
01-28-2009, 07:31 PM
It is a chilly 60 degrees in scottsdale. Ty may have to break out the comforter..the cardboard box isnt' well insulated.

packinpatland
01-28-2009, 07:35 PM
It is a chilly 60 degrees in scottsdale. Ty may have to break out the comforter..the cardboard box isnt' well insulated.

:lol: Let's talk again in July :lol:

Tyrone Bigguns
01-28-2009, 07:36 PM

If things break the way Ty wants them to...ty will be in Yountville. :wink:

HowardRoark
01-28-2009, 08:08 PM

Which winery?

LL2
01-28-2009, 08:12 PM
This sure does seem to be one of the coldest winters Chicagoland has had in a while. According to weather.com we have only been above 20 degrees 5 times in the last two weeks. While we a freezing our butts off ole Al Gore is still warning about climate change.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2009/01/28/gore-to-lobby-lawmakers-on-climate-change/

Tyrone Bigguns
01-28-2009, 08:13 PM

Which winery?

None.

French Laundry.

packinpatland
01-28-2009, 08:15 PM

Lucky you!!!!
I found this.........
http://127.0.0.1:4664/search?q=Yountville&flags=1048576&s=xveEqGVY-5jGwXzFgMQfJCiuNkc

Jonathan Edwards is about 15 miles from where I am....altho I'd rather be in Napa :lol:

packinpatland
01-28-2009, 08:19 PM
This sure does seem to be one of the coldest winters Chicagoland has had in a while. According to weather.com we have only been above 20 degrees 5 times in the last two weeks. While we a freezing our butts off ole Al Gore is still warning about climate change.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2009/01/28/gore-to-lobby-lawmakers-on-climate-change/

But there's still that stuff about the Arctic Shelf melting................

hoosier
01-28-2009, 08:20 PM

This is supposed to hit the East Coast tonight.........anyone been inconvienced by this latest one?

More snow than ice: 14 inches in last 36 hours, with a nice little freezing rain shower mixed in to add a sedimented look to the snow drifts.

Inconvenienced: Southern Indiana doesn't know how to deal with major storms. They can't keep the schools open if more than an inch of snow is on the ground. A foot of snow means they close schools for a week. Time to go through the babysitter Rolodex.

HowardRoark
01-28-2009, 08:26 PM

Which winery?

None.

French Laundry.

I was out there last fall; I would never pay the prices at French Laundry. No offense. I have no problem paying a lot for a good meal/experience, but that is ridiculous. We ate at Bistro Jeanty…it was fine. Also ate at The Girl & The Fig in Sonoma....not as good.

Little Whiskey
01-28-2009, 08:30 PM
I'll be in Miami next week. better not be "unseasonably cold" that week

packinpatland
01-28-2009, 08:31 PM

More snow than ice: 14 inches in last 36 hours, with a nice little freezing rain shower mixed in to add a sedimented look to the snow drifts.

Inconvenienced: Southern Indiana doesn't know how to deal with major storms. They can't keep the schools open if more than an inch of snow is on the ground. A foot of snow means they close schools for a week. Time to go through the babysitter Rolodex.

I don't have kids in the school system anymore, but here they've already used up their 'allowance'........these kids will be in class till July!

Tyrone Bigguns
01-28-2009, 08:40 PM

Which winery?

None.

French Laundry.

I was out there last fall; I would never pay the prices at French Laundry. No offense. I have no problem paying a lot for a good meal/experience, but that is ridiculous. We ate at Bistro Jeanty…it was fine. Also ate at The Girl & The Fig in Sonoma....not as good.

Of course you wouldn't. Why is it ridiculous? I thought you were in favor of the free market?

The quality of ingredients, the knowledge of the staff, the pay for the staff (hmmm...grant achatz worked there, kevin binkley, ron siegel and the ace of cakes Duff Godman), etc. more than justify prices. Considering that many pay 150-200 for a 1.5 hour meal at a decent restaraunt..and dining at the laundry typical takes 3.5-4 hours...it is more than reasonable.

I'm sorry, but Bistro Jeanty doesnt' even compare. And, to compare a bistro and all that implies is kinda funny. The day that Thomas Keller starts serving cassoulet or coq au vin will be the day his prices come down. Those are "family meal" type dishes at his place. My god, you can find french food like that in every city in this country.

The FL is considered to be one of the best in the states and the world. You turned down the opportunity to eat at the only Michelin 3 star restaurant in the states.

I don't think you understand the quality of ingredients and the preparation it takes.

As for your declaration that you have no problem paying...your choices suggest otherwise.

packinpatland
01-28-2009, 08:45 PM

Which winery?

None.

French Laundry.

Of course you wouldn't. Why is it ridiculous? I thought you were in favor of the free market?

The quality of ingredients, the knowledge of the staff, the pay for the staff (hmmm...grant achatz worked there, kevin binkley, ron siegel and the ace of cakes Duff Godman), etc. more than justify prices. Considering that many pay 150-200 for a 1.5 hour meal at a decent restaraunt..and dining at the laundry typical takes 3.5-4 hours...it is more than reasonable.

I'm sorry, but Bistro Jeanty doesnt' even compare. And, to compare a bistro and all that implies is kinda funny. The day that Thomas Keller starts serving cassoulet or coq au vin will be the day his prices come down. Those are "family meal" type dishes at his place. My god, you can find french food like that in every city in this country.

The FL is considered to be one of the best in the states and the world. You turned down the opportunity to eat at the only Michelin 3 star restaurant in the states.

I don't think you understand the quality of ingredients and the preparation it takes.

As for your declaration that you have no problem paying...your choices suggest otherwise.

Pretty sophisticated food talk for someone who lives in a cardboard box. :lol:

HowardRoark
01-28-2009, 08:47 PM

Which winery?

None.

French Laundry.

As I said, no offense. I have no problem with the place or people paying the prices (I am all for the free market, and as you need a reservation 2 months in advance, that is if you can get one, suggests they should be charging more). And yes, I do understand the quality and prep...I just choose not to pay close to a grand for a meal for two (see Tex, I am not an elitist). I was not comparing the two restaurants.

Good luck, I hope it works out for you.

Tyrone Bigguns
01-28-2009, 08:51 PM

Which winery?

None.

French Laundry.

Pretty sophisticated food talk for someone who lives in a cardboard box. :lol:

Ah, you confuse wealth with taste!

Tyrone Bigguns
01-28-2009, 08:57 PM

Which winery?

None.

French Laundry.

As I said, no offense. I have no problem with the place or people paying the prices (I am all for the free market, and as you need a reservation 2 months in advance, that is if you can get one, suggests they should be charging more). And yes, I do understand the quality and prep...I just choose not to pay close to a grand for a meal for two (see Tex, I am not an elitist). I was not comparing the two restaurants.

Good luck, I hope it works out for you.

A grand? You and the misses...even Ty concedes that the FL would be wasted on young children..woulda been outta there for 500 hundred.

You say no offense..but you also say it is "ridiculous" and that you have no problem paying for a good meal, yet your choice suggests otherwise. You paid for a decent/competent meal.

Well, hopefully, you at least had the romanee conti at bistro jeanty or did you just go with the "pitcher of red?" :wink:

Or did you sneer derisively when they couldn't offer you a grain belt.:wink:

Luck. Thanx. We will see. I will not be working in the kitchen, that is for sure.

HowardRoark
01-28-2009, 09:06 PM
A grand? You and the misses...even Ty concedes that the FL would be wasted on young children..woulda been outta there for 500 hundred.

You are not including the wine. And I need a lot of wine to sign for the check when it goes over $300 for two people.

You start working there, and I will break open the wallet.

Tyrone Bigguns
01-28-2009, 09:14 PM

You are not including the wine. And I need a lot of wine to sign for the check when it goes over $300 for two people.

You start working there, and I will break open the wallet.

Point conceded. But, being the "thrifty" minnesotan..i figured you'd go for lunch.

BTW, you still didn't have to pay that much as the FL does have a corking fee, only 50 beans. So, you coulda brought in your 7 Deadly Zins. :wink:

If i'm there...i will clearly steer you towards an 03 Screaming Eagle...only 1800 beans...or a easy drinking phelps meritage..a bargain at 575.

I will take your offer as a binding contract. :wink:

HowardRoark
01-28-2009, 09:29 PM
....or a easy drinking phelps meritage..a bargain at 575.

An excellent choice. That was the last tasting they pulled out at the winery. I was about to dump it until I saw the price. It was very good.
http://www.owensliquors.com/store/images/insignia.jpg

Tyrone Bigguns
01-28-2009, 09:36 PM
....or a easy drinking phelps meritage..a bargain at 575.

An excellent choice. That was the last tasting they pulled out at the winery. I was about to dump it until I saw the price. It was very good.
http://www.owensliquors.com/store/images/insignia.jpg

I'm doubting they were throwing you the 97 though.

I prefer my blends from bordeaux. Ty prefers Freedom wines.

mraynrand
01-28-2009, 09:43 PM

Which winery?

None.

French Laundry.

You guys are making me nostalgic. I miss biking across the coastal range -up Old La Honda road, along skyline road then down into Pescadero, the eucalyptus trees... 60F on a bright crisp January afternoon. Good times.

packinpatland
01-28-2009, 10:00 PM
All this......from talking about the weather. :lol:

HowardRoark
01-28-2009, 10:05 PM

Which winery?

None.

French Laundry.

You guys are making me nostalgic. I miss biking across the coastal range -up Old La Honda road, along skyline road then down into Pescadero, the eucalyptus trees... 60F on a bright crisp January afternoon. Good times.

OK, because everyone is bitching about all the politics, I will keep with the California (now bankrupt because of so many entitlements…sorry) theme. Rand, you are now getting closer to my favorite part of the state; the Carmel/Monterey Bay area. I went to the 2000 US Open at Pebble when Tiger won by about 14 strokes; one of the best weeks of my life.

Go a little further south to the best part, Big Sur. Ty, that is one place I spent too much on a hotel but was happy to do it…so I am not always a thrifty Minnesotan. Stay at Post Ranch Inn if you ever have the opportunity.

A little further south is the Sideways (the movie) Wine Country. I enjoy this area more than the Napa area. Very low-key. The Napa area gave me the same kind of headache I get when I am forced to go to the mall. There is too much going on. Too much traffic. Too many assholes. I found it to be a lot of work….it was exhausting. Again Ty, no offense.

mraynrand
01-28-2009, 10:32 PM

Which winery?

None.

French Laundry.

OK, because everyone is bitching about all the politics, I will keep with the California (now bankrupt because of so many entitlements…sorry) theme. Rand, you are now getting closer to my favorite part of the state; the Carmel/Monterey Bay area. I went to the 2000 US Open at Pebble when Tiger won by about 14 strokes; one of the best weeks of my life.

Go a little further south to the best part, Big Sur. Ty, that is one place I spent too much on a hotel but was happy to do it…so I am not always a thrifty Minnesotan. Stay at Post Ranch Inn if you ever have the opportunity.

A little further south is the Sideways (the movie) Wine Country. I enjoy this area more than the Napa area. Very low-key. The Napa area gave me the same kind of headache I get when I am forced to go to the mall. There is too much going on. Too much traffic. Too many assholes. I found it to be a lot of work….it was exhausting. Again Ty, no offense.

I proposed to my wife on the beach just south of Half Moon Bay. Used to go to Asilomar for retreats (work related) and go for runs through Spanish Bay and get yelled at and chased by the uptight grounds crew. Drank to excess on the beaches at night and went in for an ice cold (brief) swim. Monterrey Bay and Carmel are gorgeous, but a little too upscale for my tastes. We would go hiking off Kings Canyon instead. All that good wine and food is wasted on me - I have a completely unsophisticated palate.

HowardRoark
01-28-2009, 10:36 PM
I have a completely unsophisticated palate.

I have just the thing for you.....
http://www.ratebeer.com/beerimages/5595.jpg

mraynrand
01-28-2009, 10:44 PM
I have a completely unsophisticated palate.

I have just the thing for you.....
http://www.ratebeer.com/beerimages/5595.jpg

To me, surf and turf means Tuna and Chicken cream 'o mushroom casserole.

Tyrone Bigguns
01-29-2009, 05:32 PM

Which winery?

None.

French Laundry.

You make large assumptions about where i've been. I've been to every California Super AVA. Was just in Temecula visting their wineries.

Again, the reason to be in Napa/yountville is the French Laundry. When any of those places have a 3 star Michelin i will be there for a couple of months.

Big Sur:

Just don't go back to Big Sur,
Hangin' around, lettin' your old man down
Just don't go back to Big Sur
Baby baby please don't go
Oh baby baby please don't go

Zool
01-29-2009, 11:28 PM
Back on topic....this winter can still lick my ass.

mraynrand
01-30-2009, 07:18 AM
Back on topic....this winter can still lick my ass.

Licked asser.

Harlan Huckleby
01-30-2009, 08:51 AM
I don't think this winter is so terrible. hell, it's almost february, the days are already getting longer.

we had a lot of snow at first, then one short, intense cold snap. but overall, this winter seems not nearly as crushing as last year.

wait - maybe it's the anti-depressants.

GBRulz
01-30-2009, 09:53 AM
All this......from talking about the weather. :lol:

Of all people, you should be happy about the topic switch :lol:

texaspackerbacker
01-30-2009, 10:36 AM
I don't think this winter is so terrible. hell, it's almost february, the days are already getting longer.

we had a lot of snow at first, then one short, intense cold snap. but overall, this winter seems not nearly as crushing as last year.

wait - maybe it's the anti-depressants.

The Obama Administration is expected to announce next week that CO2 emissions are slowing the increase in days getting longer. This affects the middle class in an especially dire way. They are putting Biden on it.