PDA

View Full Version : Most likely current Packer who won't play next season

BooHoo
01-28-2009, 10:36 PM
My vote is for Justin Harrell. He is prone to injuries and I don't expect him to make it out of training camp!

Harlan Huckleby
01-28-2009, 10:37 PM
he doesn't even seem to be posting here anymore

Bossman641
01-28-2009, 10:43 PM
Montgomery or Bush. Hopefully both.

rbaloha1
01-28-2009, 10:44 PM
Montgomery or Bush. Hopefully both.

Add Cole and Moll.

cheesner
01-28-2009, 11:02 PM
My vote is for Justin Harrell. He is prone to injuries and I don't expect him to make it out of training camp!
I don't think they will give up on him just yet. If he is lost for the season in a train camp incident, yes. But, if he can play, he will very likely be a Packer - they just have invested too much.

The most likely is a fringe player of course. If you make it 'which starter won't be a Packer next year' I will go with Clifton. I think he regressed a bunch last season and never did adapt well to the ZBS. I think a player at #9 takes his spot, a FA is signed, or College slides over and a LG is drafted, signed, or etc.

bobblehead
01-28-2009, 11:46 PM
bush, first he loses the whitehouse, now he is losing his roster spot.

steve823
01-29-2009, 12:22 AM
bush, cole, and a crappy olinemen or 2 to make room for the ones we will draft (hopefully moll :D )

Patler
01-29-2009, 12:23 AM
bush, first he loses the whitehouse, now he is losing his roster spot.

Bush didn't "lose" the Whitehouse, he "graduated". :lol:

Guiness
01-29-2009, 12:25 AM
Well, I would've said Frost, but MM beat me to that one

Like cheesner said, there are a few fringe players...Bush, Peprah, McKaskill, or the DT that just happened to finish the year on the roster - Torsomething

But if we're talking about players who saw some time, here's a few I'd be surprised if they made it through camp...

Wynn
Rouse - had his chance, didn't show enough
Moll

and I agree with Bobblehead - Clifton might be encouraged to call it a career - although I'd be sorry to see him go.

oregonpackfan
01-29-2009, 12:48 AM

I agree. Not only in Harrell injury prone, he just doesn't seem to have much motivation to play at the pro level.

Fritz
01-29-2009, 07:00 AM
Montgomery, right? Bush, Peprah, Moll, maybe Barbre.

Patler
01-29-2009, 07:09 AM
Well, I will go with a "starter" who will lose his "starting" spot and also his roster spot - long snapper Brett Goode will lose the TC battle to J.J. Jansen.

sheepshead
01-29-2009, 07:45 AM
Where's the Rodgers bashers?

Bub
01-29-2009, 08:07 AM
I'd have to say Cliffy. I'd sure like to see him back to his normal self, but his injuries seem to really be piling up and he had a really ugly season.

Pugger
01-29-2009, 09:30 AM
I wonder if Tauscher will come back from his injury?? :?

PaCkFan_n_MD
01-29-2009, 09:34 AM
[quote="Guiness"]
quote]

He has only played two years and hasn't played all that bad really. We really don't have much opposite Collins so I don't see a guy entering only his thrid year being cut when he is at least a decent back who isn't making a lot of money. I took Collins four years before the light went on. The guy has talent and I want to see how the new staff is going to mold him.

Also, he really hasn't had that many chances. His whole rookie year he was a backup to Bigby. I know that isn't saying much, but many rookies don't do much. Lets give the guy some more time to develop.

Harlan Huckleby
01-29-2009, 11:09 AM
The offensive line is ready for some big changes. Tackles getting old. Promising young players inside.

DonHutson
01-29-2009, 11:21 AM
I don't really get all the Cole bashing. He's not a superstar or anything, but he's a capable backup. Every year it's kind of assumed that he'll be the odd man out, but every year he sticks and he does his job. You actually notice him making a play once in awhile unlike Harrell and all of the Alfred Malone's of the world that have passed through the DT revolving door lately.

He's a career backup, and as such any year could be his last I suppose. But I think he'll have a decent chance to stick again as a backup at both NT and DE in the new D.

Gunakor
01-29-2009, 11:49 AM
I don't really get all the Cole bashing. He's not a superstar or anything, but he's a capable backup. Every year it's kind of assumed that he'll be the odd man out, but every year he sticks and he does his job. You actually notice him making a play once in awhile unlike Harrell and all of the Alfred Malone's of the world that have passed through the DT revolving door lately.

He's a career backup, and as such any year could be his last I suppose. But I think he'll have a decent chance to stick again as a backup at both NT and DE in the new D.

If no new NT's are brought in either through the draft or FA, they'll need to hold onto someone to spell Pickett from time to time. As DH said, Cole could be retained for that reason alone. Jolly will likely be a full time DE in the 3-4, as will Jenkins. Harrell can't be counted on. Cole is as good as anyone we currently have on the roster as a #2 NT. He could play in spots to spell Pickett and hold his own. But if anything were to happen to Pickett, I don't have much confidence that Cole could handle the job full time. So I'm still hoping they bring in someone new, either through the draft or FA.

Sparkey
01-29-2009, 12:52 PM
[quote=Guiness]
quote]

He has only played two years and hasn't played all that bad really. We really don't have much opposite Collins so I don't see a guy entering only his thrid year being cut when he is at least a decent back who isn't making a lot of money. I took Collins four years before the light went on. The guy has talent and I want to see how the new staff is going to mold him.

Also, he really hasn't had that many chances. His whole rookie year he was a backup to Bigby. I know that isn't saying much, but many rookies don't do much. Lets give the guy some more time to develop.

I think that Rouse can be an impact player in the new defense. This 3-4 scheme of Capers uses the safety much differently than Sanders press did.

Lurker64
01-29-2009, 01:15 PM

The thing about Rouse is that we have four safeties on the roster, two starters and two backups, which is pretty standard. Among the group of Collins, Bigby, Rouse, and Peprah; Rouse is at least in the top three there, and Peprah will probably be the first to be replaced.

You don't usually replace third round picks in their third year, who are key backups and have flashed a bit of talent, but have struggled at times when thrust into a starting role due to injury. That's kind of what you expect about a lot of guys.

Rouse may be gone if we pick up two safeties, but he won't be gone if we pick up only one. Honestly, Bigby may go before Rouse.

wpony
01-29-2009, 02:51 PM
I would say right now its really hard to say with this new defensive brain trust we have in place , I would say every body better show up for all preseason practices and keep current on every thing that comes down from the coaches or they could be on the out side looking in.
I think this could be really good for Hawk I think now we will really start seeing him really start to be the star that he was picked to be even though he has been very good maybe and dependable now maybe we will start hearing probowl once we turn him loose.
Justin Harrell don't count him out maybe injury's like his and a few others is why we got a new strength coach free weights are good but easier to get injured with them .plus he is young and there is something they like about him ,
The main thing with this new coaching setup is they have so much experience that they should be able to pick apart the team keep the ones they really want, put a tag on the ones they will keep if they have ,to get rid of the ones that they say wont work.
TT was smart enough to Hire the Brain trust lets just hope TT and M3 are smart enough to listen to them..

PaCkFan_n_MD
01-29-2009, 05:17 PM
Rouse may be gone if we pick up two safeties, but he won't be gone if we pick up only one. Honestly, Bigby may go before Rouse.

I agree.

Joemailman
01-29-2009, 06:02 PM

We'll see. If he's healthy, I think he has a great chance to start at DE.

Tauscher is a free agent with a bad knee. Montgomery probably doesn't fit this defense. Moll is hanging by a thread.

Merlin
01-29-2009, 08:47 PM
I'd really like to see Philbin not come back. Does he do anything? I would prefer to see an Offensive Coordinator that knows offense and calls plays, it's obvious McCarthy can't handle both duties. As far as players, Harrell for sure because he is Thompson's Jamal Reynold's and anyone who played guard. They can fight to be tackles but we need NFL caliber guards. I can't wait to go a 5th season under Thompson without this being addressed.

BooHoo
01-29-2009, 09:22 PM

I agree.

I thought Bigby played better than Rouse. It will be interesting to see what the new Defensive Coaches think of our current players. We might just end up with the same four safeties as last year.

PaCkFan_n_MD
01-29-2009, 09:30 PM

I agree.

I thought Bigby played better than Rouse. It will be interesting to see what the new Defensive Coaches think of our current players. We might just end up with the same four safeties as last year.

I've said this before, but a guy I really like who is a free agent is Sean Jones the S of the Browns. Very underrated IMO and very young. Would be an amazing pick up and someone I would target if I was in TT position.

SnakeLH2006
01-30-2009, 01:25 AM
I wouldn't shed a tear to see Cole, Bush, or Peprah gone...esp. Bush, but me thinks that Tauchy is gone unless he takes less to sign a 1 year deal being a declining, injured FA (although still better than what we have at OT).

Harlan Huckleby
01-30-2009, 08:57 AM
I wouldn't shed a tear to see Cole, Bush, or Peprah gone.

they need to sign Colin Cole. They have a hard time finding nose tackles as good as him, not that he is anything special. Cole played OK this past year.

Waldo
01-30-2009, 09:07 AM
I wouldn't shed a tear to see Cole, Bush, or Peprah gone.

they need to sign Colin Cole. They have a hard time finding nose tackles as good as him, not that he is anything special. Cole played OK this past year.

I don't think I've ever not seen Cole destroyed when 2 lineman block him. He is a run stopping UT, not a NT. His playing strength is exceptionally weak for his size. It is saying something when Cole lines up at 1-tech and Harrell at 3-tech, most teams slid the center over to double Harrell and took care of Cole with the G alone. Packer fans may be down on him, but when yo watch him play, he's the DT that the offense is most concerned about. Unfortunately Harrell and Pickett were never on the field together in '08, so we never got the chance to see which one offenses were more afraid of. Pickett always drew the double when he was on the field, Harrell did when he was on the field, but they were never out there together.

Patler
01-30-2009, 09:47 AM
That's what I love about free agency, one team's trash is another team's treasure, if you listen to fans! From another fan site:...

Colin Cole, Gabe Watson, Ronald Fields are all potential 3-4 NT we can get. Then we can target Brace or Taylor in the draft. I disagree with all of this talk that Brace is not a NT. He is probably more fit to be a NT than Raji. Raji will give you the pass rush which is an added bonue but Brace is a big, physical stallwart with great center of gravity that will take up blockers.we will have to go after Cole, Arizona tendered Watson as a first rounder, so he basically is untouchableagreed. Cole and Fields should be high commodities come FA time

Emphasis mine

Waldo
01-30-2009, 09:55 AM
3 things make Cole a valuable NT in other fans minds (who don't watch the Packers), height, weight, and playing stats. Cole would be absolutely useless as a 3-4 NT.

Zool
01-30-2009, 10:19 AM
3 things make Cole a valuable NT in other fans minds (who don't watch the Packers), height, weight, and playing stats. Cole would be absolutely useless as a 3-4 NT.

He would make an excellent ragdoll.

Guiness
01-31-2009, 12:51 AM
Cole's not an un-important cog for this team. Guy's survived in the league for what, 4-5yrs now? DT can be a reasonably long lived position, but that's impressive none the less.

Something no one has brought up is the WR situation. Someone has to go - our top three are not going anywhere, they'll be (in no particular order) Driver, Jennings and Nelson. Jones should be #4. That leaves Martin, Bodiford and Swain, who spent last year on the ps. The Pack thought enough of Bodiford to keep him around, despite spending the year on IR. I know he's being kept primarily for his ST play, but if they want to keep him, he's still going to chew up a roster spot.

SnakeLH2006
01-31-2009, 02:14 AM
Cole's not an un-important cog for this team. Guy's survived in the league for what, 4-5yrs now? DT can be a reasonably long lived position, but that's impressive none the less.

Something no one has brought up is the WR situation. Someone has to go - our top three are not going anywhere, they'll be (in no particular order) Driver, Jennings and Nelson. Jones should be #4. That leaves Martin, Bodiford and Swain, who spent last year on the ps. The Pack thought enough of Bodiford to keep him around, despite spending the year on IR. I know he's being kept primarily for his ST play, but if they want to keep him, he's still going to chew up a roster spot.

Yes, but to get better, you must do better than adequate. Cole is a guy at best. I don't remember anyone double-teaming him in any game over the past 5 years. Has he made plays where he pushed through the line like Jolly or Pickett did as run-stuffers in 2007? No. Is he a pass-rusher. Nope. Should we give him $3 million a year when we can get a 1st, 2nd, or 3rd round guy in the 2009 draft that can take up a DL roster spot for much less money? Nope.

To emphasize. A guy? Yes. Worth resigning when our run-D was abysmal in 2008? Nope.

Bossman641
01-31-2009, 10:39 AM
Agreed. I wouldn't mind seeing Cole let go. He doesn't play very stout for a guy his size. I think he would absolutely get blown away by the interior OL.

vince
01-31-2009, 01:58 PM
Cole, Montgomery, Bush, Peprah, Moll, Humphrey, one or both of Clifton and Tausher, Kapinos and the long-snapper

Fritz
02-01-2009, 12:35 PM
If Vince and many others (including myself) are correct, there would be a very small roster turnover this year....anywhere from 7 - 10 guys.