PDA

View Full Version : Trowr at summerfest?

Rastak
07-08-2006, 04:20 PM
Hey Rats, any of you guys check out the fantastic english guitarist Robin Trower at summerfest? Back in 78 I listened to Trower nonstop but have never seen him in concert...anyway, I have 2nd row tickets for tonights show in Saint Paul...man is that gonna rock. Also, the singer he's got now is the former singer for a band Ronnie Montose put together in the early 80's called Gamma, A pretty obscure band but he can really sing.

Again, it should be a rockin show.

woodbuck27
07-08-2006, 06:42 PM
Trying to get an early pic of Robin Trower but so far not able.

The song order and tracks included in the Robin Trower 'Live" release from Stockhom Sweden (1975) are:

1.Too Rolling Stoned,
2.Daydream,
3.Rock Me Baby,
4.Lady Love,
5.I Can't Wait Much Longer,
6.Alethea,
7.A Little Bit Of Sympathy[/img]

Rastak
07-09-2006, 05:25 AM

The song order and tracks included in the Robin Trower 'Live" release from Stockhom Sweden (1975) are:

1.Too Rolling Stoned,
2.Daydream,
3.Rock Me Baby,
4.Lady Love,
6.Alethea,

For what it's worth he played 1,2,4, and 7. Great show too...

woodbuck27
07-11-2006, 09:57 AM

1.Too Rolling Stoned,
2.Daydream,
3.Rock Me Baby,
4.Lady Love,
6.Alethea,

For what it's worth he played 1,2,4, and 7. Great show too...

Rastak. Great that worked out for you. Long time, since I saw a reference to this fine guitarist. Good music and the Packers (NFL) are my passions.

I still love bands like 'the John Mellencamp Band - awesome lead player drummer and backup vocalists in his group - Old standby's are Pink Floyd and I still enjoy AC/DC whenever I want to really tear it up. I love Led Zepellin.

But I've matured to 'the BLUES'. I'd like to turn you onto one of OUR finest Blues guitarists and singers - Colin James. When I listened to Robin Trower I was reminded a little of Colin James.

I love the old Hendrix 'Does the Blues' and other's:

Steve Ray Vaughn (arguably the most talented but not my favourite); Andy Cottle (this fella is very Hendrix influenced and a wonderful guitarist); BB and Albert King (awesome); John lee Hooker (Dig him); Dutchie Mason (a Maritimer fr. my Hometown, and once described by BB King, as the BEST Blues singer in the business in North America.); Buddy Guy and Guy Davis are solid and about the modern day Blues; how about Otis Rush from Chicago - "I Can't Quirt You Baby", Mike 'Junior' Watson ( with the 80's version of Canned Heat); 'Big' Jack Johnson of Missisippi, has been recognized as one of the world’s premier blues artists. A member of 'The Jelly Roll Kings' and he appeared in the film “Juke Joint Saturday Night” and Robert Palmer’s “Deep Blues.” Then there is Howlin' Wolf and The Paul Butterfield and Allman Brothers Bands. . . and that isn't a beginning Rastak.

The Blues man.That's where it digs in.

Rastak, here's a start:

http://centerstage.net/chicago/music/whoswho/styles/BluesArtists.html

woodbuck27
07-11-2006, 10:29 AM
Here is some info. on the young yet already GREAT Blues Artist Colin James. He will not disappoint you, Rastak :

Colin James was born in Regina, Saskatchewan on August 17, 1964 and recalls being taken by his parents to the Winnipeg Folk Festival where he saw everything from jug bands to John Hammond. He received his first electric guitar when he was ten and became hooked on the blues. Quitting school at age sixteen, Colin hit the road with his first band The Hoodoo Men and opened for George Thorogood and John Lee Hooker.

His career really began to roll when he opened in his hometown for his biggest hero, Stevie Ray Vaughan. Vaughan was so impressed with the young guitar firebrand that he invited Colin to tour with him.

Record companies also began to take notice of James whose talents were a perfect match for the renewed interest in roots-based music. The result was Colin's 1988 self-titled debut album on Virgin Records that was, at the time, the fasted selling record in Canadian music history. In the same vein, 1990's "Sudden Stop" produced his highest US chart topper ("Just Came Back"). Increasingly assured of his capabilities, James switched gears and seemingly predicted the swing/jump blues craze of the mid 1990s with the timely release of "Colin James and the Little Big Band" (1993) and "Colin James and the Little Big Band II" (1998). Sandwiched between these two efforts was 1995's "Bad Habits" (comment-awesome blues disk,Rastak) and 1997's critically applauded "National Steel", a set of acoustic delta blues tunes recorded with lifelong friend Colin Linden.

On his latest release, "Fuse" (2000), the ever-diligent James has again switched directions diving headfirst back into his blues-rock origins but this time around with a funky pop sound and more soulful vocals. Colin is currently recording in Los Angeles for his newest records, slated for release Fall 2003.

Over the years, Colin James has toured with The Rolling Stones, Bonnie Raitt, Steve Winwood and Keith Richards. He has been a stage-mate of hallowed blues greats like Albert Collins, Buddy Guy, B. B. King and Luther Allison.

He is one of the most decorated of Canadian musicians having won six Juno Awards (the Canadian equivalent of the Grammy) and five Maple Blues Awards. In spite of being among the most creative and dynamic entertainers on the Canadian music scene, James shows his modest side when he says that he is "Just having fun with it."

comment: I find Colin James, frankly, out of sight EXCELLENT in his style and personality as a Blues Artist. He will blow you away with the high quality of his artistry.

woodbuck27
07-11-2006, 10:34 AM
A Review of a recent release by Colin James - Fuse - Released in 2000:

Colin James has been Canada's ambassador of blues, swing and good old rock 'n' roll since the '80s. Now, he's back and better than ever, with his trademark catchy rock tunes and a return to his blues-influenced roots. As much as I enjoy some good swing music, I was a disappointed when he moved there from the bluesy rock that made him famous. But there's actually not that much of a difference between the two -- especially for such a gifted guitarist and songwriter.

His latest release, the aptly titled Fuse, proves that.

James, who plays lead and rhythm guitar, cowrote most of the songs on the record with Craig Northey, who also contributes rhythm guitar and harmony vocals. The sound is filled out by Pat Steward on drums and percussion and a host of players on horns, percussion, strings and keyboards.

The opener "Hide" is also the first radio single from the record, and it is easy to hear why. It is catchy and loud and easy to sing along to. Never one to hide behind anything, James' clean and crisp vocals, lyrics and guitar playing expose him in "Mystery to Me." It's good to see that that part of his music hasn't changed. His pop sensibility comes to the fore with the infectious energy of "Getting Higher". His tone becomes more tender in the Craig Northey/Jesse Valenzuela song "Something Good," which is definitely one of the highlights on the record.

The just-short-of-screaming vocals in "It Ain't Over Yet" remind me of earlier work like "Just Came Back" and "Voodoo Thing," while "Hate It When I See You Cry," a sweet love song, shows off James' talent as a blues guitarist. Vocals take the spotlight again in "Of All the Things to Throw Away," an aching song with muted guitar.

Throughout the recording, James showcases his versatility as a songwriter and guitarist -- he plays fast and slow, loud and soft, happy and sad, and he pulls together all of his influences into a well-balanced record.