PDA

View Full Version : Aaron Kampman = James Harrison?

rbaloha1
02-02-2009, 08:22 AM
No Way Jose.

sheepshead
02-02-2009, 08:26 AM
(huh?)

rbaloha1
02-02-2009, 08:32 AM
(huh?)

Isn't AK projected to play the same position as JH?

My question is can AK play the position as well as JH? I say, "no."

Your thoughts Packers nation.

PlantPage55
02-02-2009, 08:33 AM
(huh?)

I'm not sure he'll find success there, but purely looking at in from a potential standpoint, I believe that Kampman may be the superior athlete. I could be wrong though.

vince
02-02-2009, 09:04 AM
Kampman = LaMarr Woodley in the Steelers D.

Harrison is one of the few 3-4 OLB's that was a linebacker in college. He also weighs 242 while Kampman is 25 lbs. heavier. Kampman is better suited to the strong side IMO.

While we don't have a Defensive Player of the Year on our roster like Harrison, among our current players, his position would probably equate to either of Poppinga or Chillar as I see it.

mission
02-02-2009, 09:44 AM
Ya, we're fucked. AK is not equal to the defensive player of the year...

Bring back Sanders.

Fritz
02-02-2009, 10:58 AM
I don't think Kampman will punch a guy over and over while he's down, either.

sharpe1027
02-02-2009, 11:10 AM
Kampman = LaMarr Woodley in the Steelers D.

Harrison is one of the few 3-4 OLB's that was a linebacker in college. He also weighs 242 while Kampman is 25 lbs. heavier. Kampman is better suited to the strong side IMO.

Interestingly, Kampman would join him as one of those few that played LB in college. Doom and gloomers can have a field day with the change. The truth is nobody has a clue how well the players will make the transition. Hell, nobody can even be certain what position they will be at.

Zool
02-02-2009, 11:48 AM
Interestingly, Kampman would join him as one of those few that played LB in college. Doom and gloomers can have a field day with the change. The truth is nobody has a clue how well the players will make the transition. Hell, nobody can even be certain what position they will be at.

Yarp

Patler
02-02-2009, 12:58 PM
(huh?)

Perhaps it would be a good idea to let Kampman have at least one or two practices before you enter judgment. It took Harrison to his 6th season before he made any kind of impact on defense:

2002 - signed as an undrafted rookie free agent, released, signed to practice squad, signed to regular roster, dressed for one game.
2003 - made final roster but released two days later, signed to practice squad, released in Oct., out of football remainder of season.
2004 - made regular roster, started four games as injury replacement..
2005 - made regular roster, started three games as injury replacement.
2006 - made regular roster, started final game of the season as injury replacement.
2007 - started all 16 games.

Entering his 6th NFL training camp, I doubt anyone foresaw Harrison becoming a defensive player of the year. He wasn't even a starter yet. In two season he went from a virtual nobody who was already 29 years old to a league leader at 30/31 years old.

Kampman is a knowledgeable, heady player.
Kampman is a tireless worker in preparation.
Kampman is a relentless player on the field.
Kampman is a very effective pass rusher, having been among the NFL leaders in sacks.
Kampman is a very effective run defender, having lead all NFL linemen in tackles.
Kampman is a previous all pro at DE.
Kampman is a previous highly regarded college recruit as a linebacker.
Kampman is a former starting linebacker in college.
Kampman is a year and a half younger than Harrison.

I wouldn't be too quick to write off Kampman as being incapable of anything in a 3-4. Maybe he will not transition well, but then again maybe he can be used in a way that maximizes his strongest attributes.

swede
02-02-2009, 01:15 PM
Yarp

I love that movie. It is in the holy pantheon of truly epic stupid movies.

ND72
02-02-2009, 06:44 PM
Ya, we're fucked. AK is not equal to the defensive player of the year...

Bring back Sanders.

I just threw up in my mouth.

BZnDallas
02-02-2009, 06:46 PM
(huh?)

Perhaps it would be a good idea to let Kampman have at least one or two practices before you enter judgment. It took Harrison to his 6th season before he made any kind of impact on defense:

2002 - signed as an undrafted rookie free agent, released, signed to practice squad, signed to regular roster, dressed for one game.
2003 - made final roster but released two days later, signed to practice squad, released in Oct., out of football remainder of season.
2004 - made regular roster, started four games as injury replacement..
2005 - made regular roster, started three games as injury replacement.
2006 - made regular roster, started final game of the season as injury replacement.
2007 - started all 16 games.

Entering his 6th NFL training camp, I doubt anyone foresaw Harrison becoming a defensive player of the year. He wasn't even a starter yet. In two season he went from a virtual nobody who was already 29 years old to a league leader at 30/31 years old.

Kampman is a knowledgeable, heady player.
Kampman is a tireless worker in preparation.
Kampman is a relentless player on the field.
Kampman is a very effective pass rusher, having been among the NFL leaders in sacks.
Kampman is a very effective run defender, having lead all NFL linemen in tackles.
Kampman is a previous all pro at DE.
Kampman is a previous highly regarded college recruit as a linebacker.
Kampman is a former starting linebacker in college.
Kampman is a year and a half younger than Harrison.

I wouldn't be too quick to write off Kampman as being incapable of anything in a 3-4. Maybe he will not transition well, but then again maybe he can be used in a way that maximizes his strongest attributes.

very well stated Patler... and if my memory serves me correctly, isn't one Kevin Greene, the man that gave pointers to Harrison this offseason and in general helped him along?? the same Kevin Greene signed by our beloved Packers to help with our OLB??? maybe kampy can show some things... i for one am willing to give him a shot!!!!

PaCkFan_n_MD
02-02-2009, 07:30 PM
Kampman I actually the only player am not worried about doing well in the 3-4. Will he be Harrison good? Only time will tell, but I really believe he can handle it.

Rastak
02-02-2009, 08:08 PM
very well stated Patler... and if my memory serves me correctly, isn't one Kevin Greene, the man that gave pointers to Harrison this offseason and in general helped him along?? the same Kevin Greene signed by our beloved Packers to help with our OLB??? maybe kampy can show some things... i for one am willing to give him a shot!!!!

I thought Greene was an intern with Pittsburgh, not a position coach.

BZnDallas
02-02-2009, 11:50 PM

I thought Greene was an intern with Pittsburgh, not a position coach.

to be honest i don't even think he was an intern... i thought he was just there as a courtesy for about a week... but in an interview given by Harrison he said Greene helped him out and gave him some pointers...

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/38436094.html

BZnDallas
02-02-2009, 11:53 PM
lol... i suppose that could be considered an intern... :wink:

bobblehead
02-03-2009, 12:35 AM
I'm only bothering to post in this thread to congratulate everyone on pointing out how ridiculous it was.

mission
02-03-2009, 01:13 AM
I'm only bothering to post in this thread to congratulate everyone on pointing out how ridiculous it was.

thank you .. lol

SnakeLH2006
02-03-2009, 01:24 AM

thank you .. lol

I'm only bothering to post in this thread to ditto that.