PDA

View Full Version : How often do you insurance shop?

GrnBay007
02-02-2009, 08:16 PM
Is it important to do this often?

I work with a guy that calls around for estimates every year.

My homeowners insurance just went up with no explanation.

Bretsky
02-02-2009, 09:54 PM
Is it important to do this often?

I work with a guy that calls around for estimates every year.

My homeowners insurance just went up with no explanation.

I do business with people that do business with me; to me that is more important than saving $5 a month. It's mutually beneficial due to what I do for a living and what they do.

Now if you don't benefit with a connection like this, I'd check around every other year.

Some agencies do credit based insurance pricing now.

This means, if you have outstanding credit, your bill will be a lot cheaper because their studies have shown, apparently, that good credit people do not make claims. Bad credit would equal high insurance.

I don't think too highly of these national agencies...won't mention any names but my experience has been some of the hugh companies advertising on TV are grossly overpriced.

packinpatland
02-02-2009, 09:56 PM
Funny you mention it. Ours went up, we called........they said they'd give us a deal if we bundled our auto ins. with them. We've had the same home owners for 27 years.........not one claim.
We're going to shop......and then switch, just on principle.

digitaldean
02-02-2009, 09:59 PM
I do comparison shop somewhat, but I usually get annual renewable term.

I look at insurance as a safety net to provide for my family in case I die during my working years. When I'm retired, large life insurance policies aren't necessary.

Not crazy about the stupid physicals and the idiotic questions, but that's all part of the game.

bobblehead
02-02-2009, 10:08 PM
I shop every year and I'm a pain in the ass. I make them quote out each insurance individually and as a package. Its the only way to keep them honest otherwise they creep the bill up on you each year.

GrnBay007
02-02-2009, 10:09 PM
Some agencies do credit based insurance pricing now.

This means, if you have outstanding credit, your bill will be a lot cheaper because their studies have shown, apparently, that good credit people do not make claims. Bad credit would equal high insurance.

I heard that about credit based pricing. It's kinda funny, really. But from what I've read, they are saying "studies show...." Anyway, my credit is better now then when I bought my home so I don't think that is the reason.

I wouldn't complain or consider shopping, but the hike was pretty significant. I've had the same car and homeowners (or renters for the few years I was renting) insurance company for the last 14 years and made only one claim and that was when my car was pelted with hail.

GBRulz
02-02-2009, 10:25 PM
my homeowners jumped pretty high in '06. They said it was because of some big hail storms that affected central WI the previous year.

credit based insurance, I thought all of them did that now? I know people who never had a claim in their lives and their premiums doubled simply because of their credit. Mine didn't do anything, so much for good credit people to have their premiums decreased as they claim.

I've had the same carrier for years, never had any complains. had one claim on my homeowners like 5 years ago when lightening hit my A/C outside. Was very happy how everything was handled.

Jimx29
02-02-2009, 10:27 PM
Every six months for car, and every year for house

BooHoo
02-03-2009, 08:52 PM
Never. I have USAA and really enjoy the great service.

Tyrone Bigguns
02-03-2009, 09:07 PM
Never. I have USAA and really enjoy the great service.

I've had them..as well as my parents.

Course, they tried dropping them after their house was burgled for the second time. My mom went off on them...paying premiums for 20 plus years...not a fucking chance.

SkinBasket
02-03-2009, 09:36 PM
my homeowners jumped pretty high in '06. They said it was because of some big hail storms that affected central WI the previous year.

Yeah. That was fucking awesome. Every roof contractor and their sister was putting ads in the paper begging people to make claims due to that storm. Several neighbors had new roofs after that. Fucking swine.

I did put in a claim when our leased car was absolutely pelted by hail almost a decade ago. I drove into an underground parking lot ASAP, but the claim was still for $2500. Looked like a little dwarf had run around the entire car in high heels.

To the point, we found a company that discounts several items that fit us, including an alumni discount, and that always puts them cheaper than anyone else. Yeah, their service sucks ass, but when we put in one claim every 10 years, it's not a big concern.

packinpatland
02-03-2009, 09:52 PM
Anyone have Progressive for their auto ins.?