PDA

View Full Version : PACKERS BEST FRANCHISE OF ALL TIME

gbpackfan
02-02-2009, 08:21 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/11330287

Pete Prisco of cbssports.com writes the Packers are the best NFL franchise of all time.

I tend to agree with him. :P

BallHawk
02-02-2009, 08:24 PM
Prisco's in the sack for the Pack.

Lurker64
02-02-2009, 08:45 PM
Well, obviously...

GrnBay007
02-02-2009, 08:48 PM
Nice!!

:tup:

BF4MVP
02-02-2009, 10:09 PM
It's about time someone gives the Pack credit..Rather than calling Pittsburgh the "gold standard" because of their 6 Super Bowl titles..It's almost as if the 9 championships the Packers won before the Super Bowl era don't count because they weren't called "Super Bowls"...The Packers are the best NFL franchise ever, no question about it..Good article.

oregonpackfan
02-02-2009, 10:59 PM
Let the history lesson begin for all NFL fans!

Perhaps President Obama will enact the LNPFFB actl(Leave No Pro Football Fan Behind) :)

BZnDallas
02-03-2009, 12:02 AM
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/11330287

Pete Prisco of cbssports.com writes the Packers are the best NFL franchise of all time.

I tend to agree with him. :P

HERE HERE!!!! :glug:

SnakeLH2006
02-03-2009, 12:42 AM
Agreed the Pack is the best. Too many championships carrying the NFL mantle even before the SuperBowls, but Pittsburgh has been an amazing stawlart for many decades as well. Very close.

So who's the worst NFL franchise of all time?

Before the Cards made it to the SuperBowl, I would have had them at #1...maybe they still are as I don't see this carrying over next year for them. Warner is on his last legs, and they sure didn't have the dynamo of great offensive/defensive studs (WR's are great) that great teams have. (NOTE: I pride myself on knowledge for most every team/players, yet would have struggled before the playoffs to name more than 5 Cardinals , esp. not named Kurt, Edgerrin, Larry, or Anquan...lol).

With the Lions putrid futility over the past decade (some may say several...the Wayne Fontes era was average with one of the top 5 players in NFL history gone to waste there)...I put them at #1.

2) Cardinals...one deece year, does not a franchise make.
3) Bungles...I really thought they'd be better with Carson and Coach Marvin...very very underachieving for many decades.

Who else makes this list?

Pugger
02-03-2009, 08:05 AM
Until Sean Payton and Drew Brees came to town the 'Aints were perennially bad. From a distance the Jets seem to be a dysfunctional franchise too. They haven't done much since Broadway Joe was around as far as the post season. I suppose we could add the Browns to the list also.

PaCkFan_n_MD
02-03-2009, 08:50 AM
Sorry to rain on everyone’s parade, but I don't think they are the best ever. Championships in the 20's, 30's, and 40's don't hold the same weight as winning a championship today. The simple fact that their was not as many teams to compete with for a title should have an affect in the discussion.

6 superbowls since the 1970's is very impressive and very hard to argue with. I wish we could have won more championships during the Favre era with such a great QB, but it didn’t happen. I would put the packers in the top three of all time however, probably at number two.

KYPack
02-03-2009, 09:29 AM
Sorry to rain on everyone’s parade, but I don't think they are the best ever. Championships in the 20's, 30's, and 40's don't hold the same weight as winning a championship today. The simple fact that their was not as many teams to compete with for a title should have an affect in the discussion.

6 superbowls since the 1970's is very impressive and very hard to argue with. I wish we could have won more championships during the Favre era with such a great QB, but it didn’t happen. I would put the packers in the top three of all time however, probably at number two.

12 NFL championships, 3 in a row twice, only team to do so.

The Packers put the NFL on the map by dominating the teams in bigger cities. The Packer games for all the marbles with the Giants in the late 20's and early 30's drew tremendous national interest. The "David vs Goliath" angle that is used in stories today had the same fan interest 80 years ago!

The NFL's proudest team, the grandstand franchise, owned by the fans in the stands, The Green Bay Packers forever!

cheesner
02-03-2009, 09:31 AM

6 superbowls since the 1970's is very impressive and very hard to argue with. I wish we could have won more championships during the Favre era with such a great QB, but it didn’t happen. I would put the packers in the top three of all time however, probably at number two.The Packers could not help how many teams were in the league. Had there been 80 teams we probably would have still won it.

I understand your point though. Times have changed. The championship or Superbowl, whatever you want to call it is so huge these days compared to 80 years ago. World wide coverage, non-stop stories for 2 weeks before the game, and billions in marketing. It is more significant now.

PaCkFan_n_MD
02-03-2009, 10:02 AM

12 NFL championships, 3 in a row twice, only team to do so.

The Packers put the NFL on the map by dominating the teams in bigger cities. The Packer games for all the marbles with the Giants in the late 20's and early 30's drew tremendous national interest. The "David vs Goliath" angle that is used in stories today had the same fan interest 80 years ago!

The NFL's proudest team, the grandstand franchise, owned by the fans in the stands, The Green Bay Packers forever!

I'm not questioning that the franchise is great; I am of course a packer fan. But in terms of the greatest team when it comes to winning the Steelers have to be in the discussion. I understand its 12 vs. 6, I'm just saying I think their six are more impressive IMO (from the 1960's on its 6 vs. 6 with the Steelers having the most recent success). Its close though and of course history never ends so I hold the right to go back to the packers with a couple more championships in today's era.

Patler
02-03-2009, 11:24 AM
The Packers of the 1960's were as dominant as any NFL dynasty, ever.

Patler
02-03-2009, 11:56 AM

Lot of different ways to look at that.

More teams - yes, but playoff opportunities are actually easier now than previously. All you have to do is win your division of 4 teams to get into the playoffs, and with wildcard opportunities it is even easier than that, 12 of 32 teams get into the playoffs. Once there, anything can happen. The Packer's finished 11-2-1 one season, and didn't even have a playoff opportunity because the Bears were 11-1-2 in a seven team conference.

It is hard to say what effect the number of teams has overall. One could argue that dilution of talent makes it easier to win if you have just a few star players. Throw in free agency now versus virtual lifetime obligations to a team that drafted you previously, salary cap limitations, etc. and it is really hard to say if it is easier now or then. I would suggest it is easier to build a playoff team now, but it was easier to keep a playoff team together in eras past.

Each team can be judged only on its performance within the era in which it played. The Packers dominated several different eras. Pittsburgh has been a dominant force during the Super Bowl, expanded playoff era. Overall, it's hard to argue that any franchise has accomplished more than the Packers through out their history.

Had the Favre-led Packers accomplished more (and they really should have), this wouldn't even be a discussion. Two SB appearances and only one SB victory isn't much when you had a talent like Favre on the roster.

texaspackerbacker
02-03-2009, 12:27 PM
Merely the best football franchise? How about the best in any sport?

Seriously, as was pointed out, it was harder to make the playoffs back in the day (and the day before "the day"), Thus, winning the NFL Championship meant more. Also, true there are 32 teams now compared to what, 12? 8? then. But the population is way more now too--by a wider multiple.

mraynrand
02-03-2009, 12:44 PM
My completely unbiased opinion is that the Packers are the best franchise in the history of professional sports, for all the great reasons. You could talk about the Yankmes and all their titles, purchased at great expense, but the fact remains the Packers win all the nostalgia categories and the grit and grime categories. But they mostly they win because they are home to the best coach ever in the history of athletics and he won multiple championship and has his name on the trophy that everyone around the entire world recognizes. Besides, Yankme Stadium is gone. Lambeau field (not named BigCompanyX.com Park) remains and it is the greatest locale for football - or any sporting event that exists. Plus, not to start any controversies, but the Packers had the greatest QB ever to don the uniform, for all the same reasons. Not the greatest pure passer, not the greatest at accuracy, not the greatest long ball, not the greatest in number of championships, but the greatest because he was up there in he top 5 by anyone's argument and because of all the intangibles and nostalgia factors.

Dammit, if they had won the Superbowl last year, it wouldn't even be an open question. Slam Dunk greatest Franchise EVER!

That's my unbiased evaluation. You should see my biased one....

texaspackerbacker
02-03-2009, 12:47 PM
My completely unbiased opinion is that the Packers are the best franchise in the history of professional sports, for all the great reasons. You could talk about the Yankmes and all their titles, purchased at great expense, but the fact remains the Packers win all the nostalgia categories and the grit and grime categories. But they mostly they win because they are home to the best coach ever in the history of athletics and he won multiple championship and has his name on the trophy that everyone around the entire world recognizes. Besides, Yankme Stadium is gone. Lambeau field (not named BigCompanyX.com Park) remains and it is the greatest locale for football - or any sporting event that exists. Plus, not to start any controversies, but the Packers had the greatest QB ever to don the uniform, for all the same reasons. Not the greatest pure passer, not the greatest at accuracy, not the greatest long ball, not the greatest in number of championships, but the greatest because he was up there in he top 5 by anyone's argument and because of all the intangibles and nostalgia factors.

Dammit, if they had won the Superbowl last year, it wouldn't even be an open question. Slam Dunk greatest Franchise EVER!

AMEN!

Tyrone Bigguns
02-03-2009, 06:21 PM
Until Sean Payton and Drew Brees came to town the 'Aints were perennially bad. From a distance the Jets seem to be a dysfunctional franchise too. They haven't done much since Broadway Joe was around as far as the post season. I suppose we could add the Browns to the list also.

Categorically wrong.

The Mora years were better than Payton/brees years.

mraynrand
02-03-2009, 06:33 PM

Categorically wrong.

Some people place the highest value on playoff wins.

Tyrone Bigguns
02-03-2009, 07:01 PM

Categorically wrong.

That may be...but, to say they were "perenially bad" till payton and brees came to town is "categorically wrong."

Considering that Mora's saints went: 12-3, 10-6, 9-7, 8-8, 11-5, 12-4, and 8-8...there is no way to even compare payton's one season above 500 to mora's saints..and no way to pretend that payton turned around a moribund franchise.

mraynrand
02-03-2009, 10:09 PM

Categorically wrong.

That may be...but, to say they were "perenially bad" till payton and brees came to town is "categorically wrong."

Considering that Mora's saints went: 12-3, 10-6, 9-7, 8-8, 11-5, 12-4, and 8-8...there is no way to even compare payton's one season above 500 to mora's saints..and no way to pretend that payton turned around a moribund franchise.

Correction: playoff win.

Pugger
02-04-2009, 03:02 PM

Categorically wrong.

Correction: playoff win.

Opps, I forgot about Mora. Shows you how much I pay attention to those clowns down there! :wink:

Guiness
02-05-2009, 11:44 AM
My completely unbiased opinion is that the Packers are the best franchise in the history of professional sports, for all the great reasons.

At risk of getting the rotten tomatoes treatment, I have to take exception to this!

At best, tied for first. With the Montreal Canadians. Incredible fan base, and a perennially successful franchise over the past 10 decades. This December 4th will be the 100th anniversary of the team.

What have they done during that time? Won the Stanley cup at least once every decade since the team was founded, for a total of 24 times!

No doubt!

Tyrone Bigguns
02-05-2009, 05:13 PM
My completely unbiased opinion is that the Packers are the best franchise in the history of professional sports, for all the great reasons.

At risk of getting the rotten tomatoes treatment, I have to take exception to this!

At best, tied for first. With the Montreal Canadians. Incredible fan base, and a perennially successful franchise over the past 10 decades. This December 4th will be the 100th anniversary of the team.

What have they done during that time? Won the Stanley cup at least once every decade since the team was founded, for a total of 24 times!

No doubt!

Yes. Without a doubt Le Tricolore are the best franchise..either them or the Yankees.

Fritz
02-05-2009, 08:56 PM

Those early championships mean just as much if you were at those games, like some of us old coots was.