PDA

View Full Version : Biggest Defensive Play in Super Bowl History

oregonpackfan
02-02-2009, 11:12 PM
Yes, I am revealing my age on this one. I felt the interception at the end of the first half by James Harrison and his returning it for a touchdown was probably the biggest defensive play in the history of the 43 Super Bowls.

In effect, the interception was a 14 point turnaround play. Not only did Harrison catch a pass near the goal line to prevent a sure touchdown pass but he returned it 100 yards+ for a touchdown.

If you recall, Harrison was faking a blitz. Instead of blitzing, he retreated a couple of steps. He got himself in position for a quick slant-in pass to the receiver(Fitzgerald?). Had Harrison blitzed, the pass probably would have been completed for a touchdown.

If you don't agree with me, what other outstanding defensive plays from other Super Bowls are equal to or superior than this one?

packers11
02-02-2009, 11:22 PM
Ty Law's INT to the house was pretty big...

Isn't that something... Both against Warner... :wink:

bobblehead
02-03-2009, 12:37 AM
yep, zone blitz dropping a guy into disguised coverage...woot, we might do a lot of that next year.

Greatest ever...I'm not sure, you gotta consult Bill Walton on that one.

SnakeLH2006
02-03-2009, 12:52 AM
Ram LB Mike Jones snaring Titans WR Kevin Dyson 1 yard short (looked to be an easy TD) as time expired was pretty spectacular and won that game...

http://assets.espn.go.com/media/sportsnation/2005/0906/photo/XXXIV_dyson.jpg

But I too give the edge for Harrison's insane TD as that blew open this SuperBowl and was very memorable.

TravisWilliams23
02-03-2009, 06:07 AM
Kelvin Hayden returning a Rex Grossman pass 56 yards for a score in
the 4th quarter to end any hopes of a Chicago comeback.

KYPack
02-03-2009, 09:20 AM
In Super bowl I, Kansas City sent a scare thru the Packers in the first half of the game. Kansas City began moving the ball on the Packer defense in the game's second quarter. The Chiefs trail 14-10 when, on the their first possession of the second half, the Packers blitz QB Len Dawson and he's picked off by Willie Wood, who returns it 50 yards to the 5-yard line. Elijah Pitts scores on the next play. The Packers won 35-10, but Green bay conceded that Wood's pick turned the game in favor of the Pack.

Joemailman
02-03-2009, 09:29 AM
AS OPF noted, Harrison's INT was quite possibly a 14 point swing. Hard to have a bigger defensive play than that.

Patler
02-03-2009, 12:16 PM
In Super bowl I, Kansas City sent a scare thru the Packers in the first half of the game. Kansas City began moving the ball on the Packer defense in the game's second quarter. The Chiefs trail 14-10 when, on the their first possession of the second half, the Packers blitz QB Len Dawson and he's picked off by Willie Wood, who returns it 50 yards to the 5-yard line. Elijah Pitts scores on the next play. The Packers won 35-10, but Green bay conceded that Wood's pick turned the game in favor of the Pack.

That was going to be my suggestion too, KY. A huge play at the time, with the whole NFL vs. AFL thing going on, the first meeting ever between the two leagues, very public trash talking by Fred "The Hammer" Williamson boasting that he would knock Dale and Dowler out of the game, pundits suggesting that the stodgy old NFL would struggle against the innovative play of the AFL, etc. Then, the Chiefs were hanging in there until Wood turned the game around.

bobblehead
02-03-2009, 06:57 PM
Ram LB Mike Jones snaring Titans WR Kevin Dyson 1 yard short (looked to be an easy TD) as time expired was pretty spectacular and won that game...

But I too give the edge for Harrison's insane TD as that blew open this SuperBowl and was very memorable.

got my vote...last play of the game for the game...hard to argue.

oregonpackfan
02-03-2009, 10:15 PM

I forgot about that play, KY. Thanks for refreshing my memory. Yes, that may have been the key defensive play of the game.

hoosier
02-04-2009, 08:06 AM
I'm not sure if I can think of an individual play that was bigger than Harrison's, but for an overall dominating performance by a defense nothing beats the back to back performances put up by the Steelers in Super Bowls IX and X against Minnesota and Dallas. Their front seven totally dominated the Vikings and the Cowboys (at least in the second half).

Merlin
02-04-2009, 08:55 PM
I'm not sure if I can think of an individual play that was bigger than Harrison's, but for an overall dominating performance by a defense nothing beats the back to back performances put up by the Steelers in Super Bowls IX and X against Minnesota and Dallas. Their front seven totally dominated the Vikings and the Cowboys (at least in the second half).

Can't forget about any defense that played against Denver in the Super Bowls before the win against Green Bay. Denver got the snot knocked out of them. I vote for Harrison's play to. The guy isn't built to run 100 yards, and especially avoid people. That was a huge play and it very well could have been the play that saved the game for the Steelers. Because it didn't happen at end the game, we will never know what the score would have looked like had the Cardinals scored right before half.

gbgary
02-05-2009, 07:57 PM

got my vote...last play of the game for the game...hard to argue.

me too. final play and all.