PDA

View Full Version : Julius Peppers trade compensation

SMACKTALKIE
02-03-2009, 03:31 PM
I know some here have been interested in the idea of picking up JP during the offseason. Here is an interesting tid bit.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playernews.aspx?sport=NFL

Beat writer Steve Reed believes it's "safe to say" the Panthers will seek trade compensation similar to what Kansas City received for Jared Allen if they're forced to franchise, then trade Julius Peppers.

The Chiefs got a first-rounder and two third-round picks for Allen last year. The Vikings also had to give Allen $73.26M over six years. Allen is younger and very arguably the superior player, but Peppers should still command something similar. He is probably the league's second- or third-best DE.
Source: Gaston Gazette

Zool
02-03-2009, 03:52 PM
Allen is younger and very arguably the superior player, but Peppers should still command something similar.

Partial is going to be so mad at you.

red
02-03-2009, 04:04 PM
i think once we made the move to 3-4 that peppers and haynesworth both became non issues for us. peppers might be too small for a 3-4 de, plus it would just be a waste to have him there. and theres no way i'm paying a guy that kind of money, and giving up those draft picks to get a guy that "might" be able to play olb

if we were still going to be a 4-3 team then i think peppers would be a perfect guy to go after. even at that kind of price

but not now

Bossman641
02-03-2009, 04:18 PM
Allen is younger and very arguably the superior player, but Peppers should still command something similar.

LOL

Brando19
02-03-2009, 04:41 PM
i think once we made the move to 3-4 that peppers and haynesworth both became non issues for us. peppers might be too small for a 3-4 de, plus it would just be a waste to have him there. and theres no way i'm paying a guy that kind of money, and giving up those draft picks to get a guy that "might" be able to play olb

if we were still going to be a 4-3 team then i think peppers would be a perfect guy to go after. even at that kind of price

but not now

Too small? Have you seen the size of this guy?

Partial
02-03-2009, 04:46 PM

LOL

Boy, you two are really positive contributers to these boards. It's a shame I recommended you as a mod Zool. In hindsight I errored in judgement.

Lurker64
02-03-2009, 05:00 PM

but not now

He'd still need to put on about 20 lbs above his listed weight to be 3-4 DE size. Also, presumably when he says he wants to play in a 3-4 (if he's not just using that as a pretense to get out of Carolina) he means "as an OLB" (the position that gets all the sacks and the glory) and not "as a DE" (the position that does the hard, gritty, thankless work that doesn't show up in the box score.)

Jared Allen type compensation is too much for an OLB, any OLB, in my opinion.

Bossman641
02-03-2009, 05:12 PM

LOL

Boy, you two are really positive contributers to these boards. It's a shame I recommended you as a mod Zool. In hindsight I errored in judgement.

Oh come on Partial, lighten up a little bit. You've been hugging Peppers' nuts for a few weeks now.

Freak Out
02-03-2009, 05:17 PM

but not now

He'd still need to put on about 20 lbs above his listed weight to be 3-4 DE size. Also, presumably when he says he wants to play in a 3-4 (if he's not just using that as a pretense to get out of Carolina) he means "as an OLB" (the position that gets all the sacks and the glory) and not "as a DE" (the position that does the hard, gritty, thankless work that doesn't show up in the box score.)

Jared Allen type compensation is too much for an OLB, any OLB, in my opinion.

Yep...I thought he made it pretty clear he wanted to be an OLB in a 3-4 scheme. Guy is a beast though....if it could be worked out without having to go into hock to the Chinese it would be worth it....maybe.

Zool
02-03-2009, 05:31 PM

LOL

Snif

Tyrone Bigguns
02-03-2009, 07:04 PM

LOL

You just aren't a war time consigliere.

Joemailman
02-03-2009, 07:21 PM

LOL

Erred.

red
02-03-2009, 07:25 PM
come on guys

Zool
02-03-2009, 08:32 PM
Really P if I didnt like you, I would ignore you completely and would have no idea what sort of thing you would have an opinion on.

That being said.....snif

KYPack
02-03-2009, 10:09 PM
Hey everybody,

De-clawed kitten fight!

b bulldog
02-03-2009, 10:25 PM
kAMPMAN AND A 3 FOR pEPPERS

Partial
02-03-2009, 10:30 PM

Would do it in an instant.

swede
02-03-2009, 10:54 PM
In an interview on ESPN radio I just made up in my head Matt Millen said if he were GM of the Packers he'd trade Aaron Kampman and a 3rd round pick if that's what it took to get Julius Peppers in Green Bay.

packrat
02-03-2009, 11:03 PM
Since franchising Peppers means a salary of 20% above last time--i.e. they will have to pay him $16.7 million for one year (http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/2009/01/franchise-transition-tags-analysis/) I doubt they can afford to Franchise him. So, why do a trade--just wait for him to be cut and join the bidding war. Peppers can control his destiny even if franchised since the only way a team would trade for him is if he restructures his contract and with a $16.7 million payday he might just decide to take the money and go through the exercise again next year.

mission
02-04-2009, 01:19 AM
Since franchising Peppers means a salary of 20% above last time--i.e. they will have to pay him $16.7 million for one year (http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/2009/01/franchise-transition-tags-analysis/) I doubt they can afford to Franchise him. So, why do a trade--just wait for him to be cut and join the bidding war. Peppers can control his destiny even if franchised since the only way a team would trade for him is if he restructures his contract and with a $16.7 million payday he might just decide to take the money and go through the exercise again next year.

And on that note, if they franchise him in hopes of getting that big trade, they better be damn sure they have the trade approved ahead of time or they're stuck with that 16.7 mil price tag. It's almost a big game of bluff and given the circumstances in Carolina with their coaching turmoil (and assumed 'must make the right moves'), I can't see them taking that kind of risk.

PaCkFan_n_MD
02-04-2009, 08:39 AM

Hell no. How is that making us better? How about get Peppers and keep kampman? If they tag Peppers than to bad let him stay over there. Move on to other players.

packrat
02-04-2009, 08:49 AM
Also, trading Kampman sends the wrong message. He is packer people to the max, like Driver.

cheesner
02-04-2009, 02:40 PM
In an interview on ESPN radio I just made up in my head Matt Millen said if he were GM of the Packers he'd trade Aaron Kampman and a 3rd round pick if that's what it took to get Julius Peppers in Green Bay. :lol:

Best post I have read in some time.

Gunakor
02-04-2009, 03:19 PM

Hell no. How is that making us better? How about get Peppers and keep kampman? If they tag Peppers than to bad let him stay over there. Move on to other players.

How about passing on Peppers entirely and getting Bart Scott or Terrell Suggs? Peppers wouldn't be worth the salary he's going to demand. Not in our system. Scott or Suggs would both be better fits, and both would come with a far lower price tag than Peppers would.

PaCkFan_n_MD
02-04-2009, 04:34 PM

How about passing on Peppers entirely and getting Bart Scott or Terrell Suggs? Peppers wouldn't be worth the salary he's going to demand. Not in our system. Scott or Suggs would both be better fits, and both would come with a far lower price tag than Peppers would.

That is what I would like also. But I wouldn't be mad if we signed Peppers as a free agent.

Brando19
02-04-2009, 05:21 PM
In an interview on ESPN radio I just made up in my head Matt Millen said if he were GM of the Packers he'd trade Aaron Kampman and a 3rd round pick if that's what it took to get Julius Peppers in Green Bay.

:lol: I guess that means a good GM would stay the hell away from that deal, huh?

DonHutson
02-04-2009, 07:09 PM
So is it considered a done deal that Carolina will be able to resign Jordan Gross without franchising him?

Lurker64
02-04-2009, 07:29 PM
So is it considered a done deal that Carolina will be able to resign Jordan Gross without franchising him?

Were I them, I would put the full court press on Gross and pay whatever it takes, and then Franchise Peppers and trade him away a la Jared Allen. But they will franchise Gross if they can't make a deal, I don't know how close they are though.

Merlin
02-04-2009, 08:22 PM
Also, trading Kampman sends the wrong message. He is packer people to the max, like Driver.

I don't think I would give up a player like Kampman for Peppers. Kampman has a motor that doesn't quit and he is effective. Peppers, although a great player, doesn't have the same energizer batteries which is the great equalizer to me. I don't put anything past the current Packers management at this point, anything is possible.

The Shadow
02-04-2009, 08:26 PM
Rather have Kamp than Peppers.
I would not at all mind parting with one of the number 3's and make sure we get B.J.

SnakeLH2006
02-05-2009, 12:37 AM
I know some here have been interested in the idea of picking up JP during the offseason. Here is an interesting tid bit.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playernews.aspx?sport=NFL

Beat writer Steve Reed believes it's "safe to say" the Panthers will seek trade compensation similar to what Kansas City received for Jared Allen if they're forced to franchise, then trade Julius Peppers.

The Chiefs got a first-rounder and two third-round picks for Allen last year. The Vikings also had to give Allen $73.26M over six years. Allen is younger and very arguably the superior player, but Peppers should still command something similar. He is probably the league's second- or third-best DE.
Source: Gaston Gazette

I thought the fleecings for major draft picks were outlawed after the H. Walker trade in 1990 that rebooted the Dallas Cowboys for the 1990's SB run.

Allen is a deece player, no very good player, but at that money and those HUGE draft picks, it better be a QB, is all, in these tight times.

I'd be hesitant to give Peppers half that money with no draft picks, as he doesn't look half the part he did years ago. Still good, but not the man-beast he looked a few years ago.

Great player still. Probably.

Better than Kampy at this point. Arguable.

Worth a massive long term deal to bust your cap at the expense of sacrificing big time draft picks. Oh hell no.

Snake's Take. Priceless.

mission
02-05-2009, 01:48 AM
Again (is this thing on?), the Panthers won't take the risk of having to eat 17 mil in cap next year by franchising him (and not being able to get such a ridiculous trade to go through).

bbbffl66
02-05-2009, 01:35 PM
I would not at all mind parting with one of the number 3's and make sure we get B.J.

We had a BJ in the third already!(Boy, that sounds dirty) Sanders

Gunakor
02-06-2009, 12:37 AM

3rd round BJ's are all disappointments. We need a 1st round BJ, then we'll be satisfied.

sharpe1027
02-06-2009, 10:07 AM

3rd round BJ's are all disappointments. We need a 1st round BJ, then we'll be satisfied.

How about 4 5th round BJ's? One of them is bound to be decent...

bobblehead
02-06-2009, 12:27 PM
all I want is a first RATE BJ.

LL2
02-06-2009, 01:09 PM
Carolina has until next Thursday to tag Peppers, so we will know by then if he's available. Even if he is available he will want a mega deal and I'm not sure I want TT to pay mega bucks to get him.

SnakeLH2006
02-06-2009, 10:45 PM

Shermy's BJ might not have been the most skilled, but gotta hand it to a man for getting one while he was sleeping.

http://tarapfeifer.com/albums/stuff/mike_sherman_sleeping.jpeg

I'm not sure TT's ideal BJ would be the one you'd be happy with. :shock: