PDA

View Full Version : " New Staff to Move Kampy"

Bretsky
02-03-2009, 10:37 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/38982829.html

Joemailman
02-03-2009, 11:11 PM
The real question is who will be at the other OLB position. Thompson, Hunter, Bishop, Poppinga and Chillar have all been mentioned. Orakpo and Curry from the draft are possibilities. It will be a very interesting spring and summer.

KYPack
02-04-2009, 08:46 AM
Well, this train i rollin' at least.

That's what I say, line up some guys and see if they can get it done.

Sander's train ran off the tracks, lets put some guys out in a new scheme and see what the hell happens.

It can't be worse than last year, can it?

Patler
02-04-2009, 09:11 AM
I can't wait for the first interview with Kampman. He is normally quite straightforward with his answers. It will be interesting to hear his impressions now and then again after he has a chance to work at the position.

I really liked the comment from Greene in todays article, that rushing the passer from that position is all fundamentals and technique, which he said he knows so well that he has no doubts he could still do it effectively today at 46 years old.

rbaloha1
02-04-2009, 10:33 AM
Initially was relucatnt but since it appears AK is primarily a pass rushing olb the transition appears almost seamless.

Attending the Thursday pro bowl practice. Plan to seek out AK for an autograph and obtain feedback concerning his new position.

Harlan Huckleby
02-04-2009, 11:59 AM
I can't wait for the first interview with Kampman. He is normally quite straightforward with his answers. It will be interesting to hear his impressions now and then again after he has a chance to work at the position.

Jason Wilde said on his radio show that Kampman is normally one of the most accessible players on the team. But since the 3-4 hit the fan, Kampman has not answered any of his text messages or returned calls.

Draw your own conclusion, but sounds like AK has some misgivings that he does not want to talk about.

Patler
02-04-2009, 12:05 PM

Jason Wilde said on his radio show that Kampman is normally one of the most accessible players on the team. But since the 3-4 hit the fan, Kampman has not answered any of his text messages or returned calls.

Draw your own conclusion, but sounds like AK has some misgivings that he does not want to talk about.

Maybe he just doesn't know what to say at this point, until he actually gets to meet the coaches and find out what they have in store for him. Although I can understand if he does have some doubts. He has been quite successful playing the way he has.

Packnut
02-04-2009, 12:14 PM
Harris learning zone coverage and Kampy learning OLB. I sure hope this is'nt turning out to be the "round hole in the square peg" dilema.

LL2
02-04-2009, 12:46 PM
The real question is who will be at the other OLB position. Thompson, Hunter, Bishop, Poppinga and Chillar have all been mentioned. Orakpo and Curry from the draft are possibilities. It will be a very interesting spring and summer.

I think one of those guys could be good OLB opposite Kampman. How about Peppers playing OLB opposite Kampman. That would be a scary defense. Draft Jenkins at #9 to strengthen the secondary, and they could be a top 10 defense.

As far as Kampman not talking because maybe he's not happy about the changes....that doesn't seem like him. Kampy is the ultimate team guy. Didn't Kampy go on a missions trip to India last year? Maybe he's out of the country.

Fritz
02-04-2009, 01:10 PM
Harris learning zone coverage and Kampy learning OLB. I sure hope this is'nt turning out to be the "round hole in the square peg" dilema.

This is the biggest fear that I have. Capers assures us he will work to make the system fit the talent, but can a 30-something press corner change his ways at this point? Can Kampman really make that switch quickly after working so hard and so long to master the defensive end position?

bobblehead
02-04-2009, 01:45 PM

This is the biggest fear that I have. Capers assures us he will work to make the system fit the talent, but can a 30-something press corner change his ways at this point? Can Kampman really make that switch quickly after working so hard and so long to master the defensive end position?

Even though Al is top notch in press I'm confident that at some point in his 20 or so years of football he has played enough zone to have a clue.

mission
02-04-2009, 02:04 PM
These "packer people" need to get ahold of themselves and drop the ego/stat worries elsewhere. Our defense is going in a new direction and while we have an "identity" (big tough bump and run!), the results of that actual identity didn't get the job done.

either you subscribe to what's going on or you're going to infect the team and as a leader, we can afford that. your example in this transition will dictate the attitude of everyone around you...

Now hopefully this post was a waste and Patler was right... even if they're just casually voicing their own questions, we gotta get guys "fakin it til they make it" here a bit to get the mentality of the D on the right track. The players need to get excited about it. Period.

Pugger
02-04-2009, 02:48 PM
Initially was relucatnt but since it appears AK is primarily a pass rushing olb the transition appears almost seamless.

Attending the Thursday pro bowl practice. Plan to seek out AK for an autograph and obtain feedback concerning his new position.

Tell him we are all excited about the possibility of our defense being much better this coming season. :)

Gunakor
02-04-2009, 03:00 PM

I have heard/read coaches on our new staff at least five times over the last week say that they will have the freedom to leave Harris in man coverage, even in our new zone blitz scheme. Though Harris won't be playing bump coverage much anymore, won't be playing up on the line, I don't expect his coverage responsibility to change very much. I think he'll still be in man coverage for the most part.

Waldo
02-04-2009, 03:14 PM
So why is this called "news"?

IF you didn't know Kamp was playing OLB, you are living under a rock.

texaspackerbacker
02-04-2009, 03:49 PM

True. And I think/hope they really aren't even considering Orakpo or Curry or Brown or anybody else at that position in the first round. We've got plenty of talent for that other OLB and to backup Kampman.

I wouldn't read anything about Kampman being pissed off into his lack of response to texts, etc. He more likely is just tired of being asked a bunch of speculative questions he really can't answer until he gets on the field and plays the position. It seems like they are going out of their way to keep him happy and up to speed--hiring Greene as a position coach for a slot which I think didn't even exist before. I'm expecting a great year from Kampman.

This isn't news? True, but for Packer fans starved in the off season for any commentary, discussion, whatever, this'll do until some news comes along.

Joemailman
02-04-2009, 03:56 PM

I think one of those guys could be good OLB opposite Kampman. How about Peppers playing OLB opposite Kampman. That would be a scary defense. Draft Jenkins at #9 to strengthen the secondary, and they could be a top 10 defense.

As far as Kampman not talking because maybe he's not happy about the changes....that doesn't seem like him. Kampy is the ultimate team guy. Didn't Kampy go on a missions trip to India last year? Maybe he's out of the country.

I think Kampman and Greene will really hit it off. They are both late round picks who exceeded expectations largely because they play(ed) with great intensity and sound technique. Greene had some very positive things to say about Kampman:
http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/ic/blogs/insider/index.shtml?GID=pMcDCl6vcc2tY8UHbvtQQGi2J55wgN6O6O HdTf6ajr0%3D

Partial
02-04-2009, 05:18 PM
Brian Noble was on WSSP today and he said he does not think Kampman has the skill set to play OLB.

He also said they Barnett will have to play the WOLB and would be beyond awful inside.