PDA

View Full Version : HOW THE PACKERS CAN MAKE THE PLAYOFFS

woodbuck27
07-09-2006, 03:06 PM
HOW THE PACKERS CAN MAKE THE PLAYOFFS

By D. ORLANDO LEDBETTER
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 07/09/06

With Carolina, Seattle and Tampa Bay attracting early attention as the top teams in the NFC, Green Bay needs a few things to happen for them to become relevant again — the return of Brett Favre was central to any title aspirations. An injury-plagued 4-12 season led to the departure of Mike Sherman and the hiring of Mike McCarthy. "I'm glad for Mike (McCarthy) that Brett is coming back," NFL Network analyst Steve Mariucci said. "They signed Charles Woodson. They lost some players, but anytime that you've got No. 4 taking snaps you're going to have a chance."

Here's a look at 10 things that must go right for the Green Bay Packers to reach the playoffs.

1. The return of Favre

While there's a perception that Brett Favre is an old gunslinger who's seen his best days, his stats don't suggest that there has been a major dropoff. He had a 92.4 quarterback rating, threw for more than 4,000 yards, 30 touchdowns and 17 interceptions last season. While signed through 2010, Favre may have a couple of top notch seasons left.

2. Rally around new regime

The transition from Sherman to McCarthy, a first-year head coach, must go smoothly. Early signs were not good as several veterans skipped some of the "voluntary" offseason workouts.

3. Return of running game

The Packers don't need Favre throwing 40 times a game and must have balance. Running back Ahman Green had five straight 1,000-yard seasons before missing most of last season with torn right thigh tendon.

4. Hammerin' Hawk

Former Ohio State star A.J. Hawk, the fifth pick in the draft, must step in and be a force. The defense has been lacking an enforcer.

5. Pay Al Harris some cash

Cornerback Al Harris is under contract but there are rumblings about a holdout. The Pack should go ahead and pay him some more cash and stabilize the locker room. This may help morale and stop players like Mike McKenzie and Javon Walker from demanding trades out Green Bay.

6. Put Bears in hibernation

When Lovie Smith was named Chicago's coach he put a priority on beating the rival Packers. The Bears are 3-1 verses the Packers under Smith in one of the league's best rivalries. The Packers open and close the season against the Bears.

7. Revampled O-line

Tackles Mark Tauscher and Chad Clifton are proven, but Favre could be working behind a revamped and young interior offensive line. Second-round pick Daryn Colledge (Boise State) and third-round pick Aaron Spitz (Louisville) may start at the guard spots. The Packers must also replace center Mike Flanagan, who followed Sherman to Houston. Scott Wells, a seventh-round pick in 2004 from Tennessee, and Chris White, who was signed as an undrafted free agent in 2005 from Southern Mississippi, will battle for the starting center spot.

8. Farewell to Longwell

Losing steady place-kicker Ryan Longwell to Minnesota may come back to haunt the Packers. Longwell made 81.58 percent of his field goals in nine seasons in Green Bay, including 59 percent from 50 yards or more. Billy Cundiff will have to beat out Dave Rayner for the job.

9. Secondary improvement

The Packers signed cornerback Woodson and safety Marquand Manuel during free agency. They are expected to combine with Harris and safety Nick Collins to form a solid secondary. Safety Mark Roman and Ahmad "Batman" Carroll figure to lose their starting jobs. Some in the Cheesehead nation are tired Carroll's showboating and numerous penalties.

10. Receiving corps

With Javon Walker traded, Donald Driver is the only proven commodity. The Packers signed Marc Boerigter and Rod Gardner. They are hoping Robert Ferguson, who has shown flashes, can stay healthy and become more physical when fighting for the ball.

Comments: woodbuck27

MJZiggy
07-09-2006, 04:20 PM
HOW THE PACKERS CAN MAKE THE PLAYOFFS

By MJZiggy
PackerRats.com

July 9, 2006

Win some games.

Iron Mike
07-09-2006, 04:47 PM
IIRC, D. Orlando used to write for the Journal-Sentinel, did he not??? :?

Harlan Huckleby
07-09-2006, 09:34 PM
Cripes, if I had 10 magic wishes, I could make any team win the Super Bowl.

PaCkFan_n_MD
07-09-2006, 11:28 PM
It only comes down to two things, the o-line and the d-line.

CyclonePackFan
07-09-2006, 11:41 PM
How about....have a positive turnover differential?

I don't care if all 10 of those happen, if they turn the ball over twice a game...no way they make the playoffs. Conversely, have a +30 turnover margin at the end of the year...you can be mediocre and make the playoffs.

PaCkFan_n_MD
07-10-2006, 12:42 AM

I don't care if all 10 of those happen, if they turn the ball over twice a game...no way they make the playoffs. Conversely, have a +30 turnover margin at the end of the year...you can be mediocre and make the playoffs.

Having a positive turnover differential comes down to the o-line and d-line IMO.

CyclonePackFan
07-10-2006, 12:46 AM

Having a positive turnover differential comes down to the o-line and d-line IMO.

:?:

PaCkFan_n_MD
07-10-2006, 01:05 AM
when your o-line plays good, you run the ball more, control the clock and turnovers are limited on offense. When your d-line plays good your pressuring the opponents QB in to wild throws and hence more turnovers for your defense.

again, the o-line and d-line are the keys to a positive turnover ratio.

beakerman
07-10-2006, 03:17 PM
strong believer in, it doesn't matter how it gets done, just as long as we score more than the other guys :oops:

woodbuck27
07-10-2006, 08:56 PM
strong believer in, it doesn't matter how it gets done, just as long as we score more than the other guys :oops:

They have to field a decent team. Stay relatively healthy.

They have to play their guts out.

Now then they may possibly go to the playoff's. After that it comes down to talent and desire (team cohesion).

The Shadow
07-10-2006, 09:06 PM
Personally, I'm quite optimistic.
There defense has been dramatically upgraded.
If the youth infusion jells early, Green regains form, and perhaps Jennings carves a niche, anything could happen in the division.
For the first time in awile, I think the team's arrow is pointed upward.

Bretsky
07-10-2006, 09:32 PM
Shadow,

Wanted to take the opportunity to welcome you to PR. You were always a good poster over at JS back when I posted there. There will be lots of outstanding chat in here come football time again; if you are a draft nut it's too bad you weren't in here sooner. The wanna be football GM's (like me) went on a 2100 post thread about the Draft breakdown.

Cheers and Welcome Again,

B

The Shadow
07-10-2006, 10:05 PM
Thanks for the kind words, Bretsky.
I did post my thoughts on the draft on JS (I was a big Hawk enthusiast & was thrilled when we selected him), but never got the kind of witty, spirited responses/arguments I'd come to expect.
Glad to be here - thanks again!

woodbuck27
07-10-2006, 10:20 PM
Thanks for the kind words, Bretsky.
I did post my thoughts on the draft on JS (I was a big Hawk enthusiast & was thrilled when we selected him), but never got the kind of witty, spirited responses/arguments I'd come to expect.
Glad to be here - thanks again!

Yes ! Welcome aboard The Shadow. A little quiet all over the NFL world now but this site is on top of whatever breaks.

Give this place a REAL chance.

GrnBay007
07-10-2006, 10:50 PM
Welcome aboard Shadow!!!

....the Shadow always knows the best Packer forum. :razz: