PDA

View Full Version : Justin Harrell at DE?

SMACKTALKIE
02-04-2009, 03:00 PM
Does anyone here think this will work?

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playernews.aspx?sport=NFL&line=138785

Packers 2007 first-round pick Justin Harrell is expected to move from tackle to end in new coordinator Dom Capers' defense.

At 6'3/310 with no pocket-pushing ability, Harrell isn't built to play end in a 3-4. Harrell is a pure run stopper. He is unlikely to get a chance to start. The Packers continue to hope that Harrell will avoid another back surgery.
Source: Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel

Gunakor
02-04-2009, 03:05 PM

Packers 2007 first-round pick Justin Harrell is expected to move from tackle to end in new coordinator Dom Capers' defense.

At 6'3/310 with no pocket-pushing ability, Harrell isn't built to play end in a 3-4. Harrell is a pure run stopper. He is unlikely to get a chance to start. The Packers continue to hope that Harrell will avoid another back surgery.

Well, yeah I do. An end in a 3-4 isn't supposed to be rushing the passer. His job is to hold his ground and fill gaps. His job on passing downs is to eat up as many blocks as he can to free up the LB's. The LB's create pressure. I have no problem with a pure run stopper as a DE in a 3-4.

That said, he certainly didn't show any weakness collapsing the pocket when he played at Tennessee. He hasn't been healthy enough to make a sound judgement as to whether or not he could get the job done at the NFL level. Who knows, maybe he'll get healthy and back to form. But even if he doesn't, as long as he can frustrate the inside run game I'm happy with him at DE.

Waldo
02-04-2009, 03:12 PM
Those JS reporters literally are some of the most retarded fans I've ever had the displeasure of reading.

No pocket pushing ability? He was our best pass rushing DT and is pretty much on par with Pickett agaisnt the run. Justin's problems are not on the field, it is being healthy enough to be on it.

Lurker64
02-04-2009, 03:19 PM
If Harrell can get healthy, he's a great fit at DE. If he can't get healthy, he's likely done. Coming out of Tennessee the scouting report on him was largely that he was the sort of guy that was born to play end in the 3-4.

If his back injury isn't career ending, he'll do fine at DE, but as last year shows us, you can't count on him so it's still a position of need.

Partial
02-04-2009, 05:22 PM
Those JS reporters literally are some of the most retarded fans I've ever had the displeasure of reading.

No pocket pushing ability? He was our best pass rushing DT and is pretty much on par with Pickett agaisnt the run. Justin's problems are not on the field, it is being healthy enough to be on it.

What are you smoking? IMO he was next to invisible, and when he actually played he was not nearly as effective at getting to the passer as CWill.

Freak Out
02-04-2009, 05:58 PM
Coming out of Tennessee the scouting report on him was largely that he was the sort of guy that was born to play end in the 3-4.

If that's the case why draft the guy in the first place considering we had run a 4-3 for years? BPA? Hardly with his injury history.

Man I hope he can get healthy and show his stuff.

Crossing fingers...

sharpe1027
02-04-2009, 06:17 PM
Coming out of Tennessee the scouting report on him was largely that he was the sort of guy that was born to play end in the 3-4.

If that's the case why draft the guy in the first place considering we had run a 4-3 for years? BPA? Hardly with his injury history.

Crossing fingers...

Probably because people are making mountains out of molehills. There are differences between the schemes, but IMHO, the differences have been blown way out of proportion. 4-3 strength is the same as 3-4 strength. 4-3 smart is the same as 3-4 smart. 4-3 speed is the same as 3-4 speed. A good football player is a good football player.

So saying he was born to play DE in 3-4 doesn't necessarily mean he wasn't the best 4-3 player on the board.

Lurker64
02-04-2009, 06:31 PM

Crossing fingers...

In a lot of schemes, 4-3 Under-Tackles and 3-4 Defensive Ends are the same players, it's just that 3-4 DEs are probably harder to find. But pretty much any great UT in the league can play 3-4 DE. Basically, if you're a 4-3 UT who's big (not just fat), you can play DE in the 3-4. Harrell is very big (not just fat).

Freak Out
02-04-2009, 06:35 PM
Here's to hoping he get's healthy and dominates. :glug:

DonHutson
02-04-2009, 07:14 PM

I don't know, but I would be thrilled with the opportunity to see the issue settled on the field.

red
02-04-2009, 07:27 PM

yeah i do think he would work well at DE

the problem is, i don't think he can stay healthy