PDA

View Full Version : The Packers will be "on the lookout" for nose tack

SMACKTALKIE
02-05-2009, 10:46 AM
B.J. Raji was the title name in the news piece.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playernews.aspx?sport=NFL

The Packers will be "on the lookout" for nose tackles in the upcoming draft, according to the Green Bay Press-Gazette.

Green Bay has the ninth overall pick, which may be too late for the draft's top nose, B.J. Raji. The Packers are concerned about incumbent Ryan Pickett's knees. Pickett also has zero college or pro experience playing in the 3-4.
Source: Green Bay Press-Gazette
Related: Packers

Lurker64
02-05-2009, 11:06 AM
If Raji isn't available at 9, or they decide to pick someone else, a guy worth looking at in the 2nd round is Ron Brace, Boston College's other Defensive Tackle. While entirely not suitable for rushing the passer, Brace is a huge mountain of a man who is stout at the point of attack and will probably be able to collapse the pocket.

red
02-05-2009, 11:08 AM
If Raji isn't available at 9, or they decide to pick someone else, a guy worth looking at in the 2nd round is Ron Brace, Boston College's other Defensive Tackle. While entirely not suitable for rushing the passer, Brace is a huge mountain of a man who is stout at the point of attack and will probably be able to collapse the pocket.

i was about to post the exact same thing

the two guys are just about the same size

both listed around 335

DonHutson
02-05-2009, 11:33 AM
Agree on Brace, but for what it's worth the new McShay mock draft has Jacksonville snagging him two picks in front of us in the 2nd.

What's plan C? I don't see much in FA at NT unless I'm missing someone.

Lurker64
02-05-2009, 11:36 AM

Well... Grady Jackson is a FA, but let's hope it doesn't come to that.

DonHutson
02-05-2009, 11:55 AM

Well... Grady Jackson is a FA, but let's hope it doesn't come to that.

Oy... is it time for the annual Gilbert Brown comeback rumor?

:wink:

rbaloha1
02-05-2009, 12:00 PM
Raji is the pick. If unavailable, Maoli from USC in the second round is a good pick.

DonHutson
02-05-2009, 12:08 PM
Raji is the pick. If unavailable, Maoli from USC in the second round is a good pick.

Hopefully Raji is still there. That's starting to look less likely.

Moala is listed at only #280. I don't think that's what they're looking for. Maybe they could bulk him up to play end.

After Raji and Brace, I don't see any DT draft prospects over #320 until you get down to the late round guys.

Lurker64
02-05-2009, 12:15 PM

I'm not so sure he's a NT or a second round guy. He's more of a DE, a bit too tall for NT.

I think the consolation prize for NT, if Raji and Brace are both gone is Sammie Lee Hill out of D2 Stillman. He'll be green as all get-out, but he's got the right size, he's athletic, and the word is that he's coachable and a good kid (he saved a guy from a burning building, that's worth something right?). I didn't see him play during the season, and I was looking forward to him playing in the East/West Shrine game, but I think a Hammy held him out of the game.

I wonder if any lack of progress with Barbre will have scared Thompson away from the D2 guys. Stillman is still probably a 4th-6th round guy, if we miss on both Raji and Brace.

rbaloha1
02-05-2009, 12:32 PM
Haloti Ngata one of the best nose tackles is 6'4". Moali is listed at 6'5" but lets wait until the combine.

The guy is a powerful player that helped the USC lbs run around and make plays. Consistency and character issues are red flags. IMO worth the gamble.

Lurker64
02-05-2009, 12:42 PM
Haloti Ngata one of the best nose tackles is 6'4". Moali is listed at 6'5" but lets wait until the combine.

Ngata also lines up in every position on the defensive line, somewhat regularly. He's a 3-4 NT, 3-4 DE, 4-3 NT, or 4-3 UT depending on the look Baltimore is giving. Ngata is crazy-athletic for a guy his size. I think I even saw him line up at 4-3 DE once last season, but I could be mistaken.

Partial
02-05-2009, 01:11 PM

That is becoming NC STate DL syndrome of 2006. If they have that much talent on the DL, why were they an average team? Both of those guys are overrated, especially Raji imo and his one big year.

Joemailman
02-05-2009, 01:31 PM
Boston College was an average team because they were #94 in total offense. They were #8 in total defense, and #10 against the run.

Zool
02-05-2009, 01:34 PM
Boston College was an average team because they were #94 in total offense. They were #8 in total defense, and #10 against the run.

Think they might be missing Ryan?

Lurker64
02-05-2009, 01:35 PM

Think they might be missing Ryan?

They also had a coach who clearly didn't want to be there, I can't imagine that helped much. Also, the only good players on the BC defense were the two tackles, nobody thinks their ends were anything special.

bigcoz75
02-05-2009, 02:34 PM
Agree on Brace, but for what it's worth the new McShay mock draft has Jacksonville snagging him two picks in front of us in the 2nd.

Here's a mid round guy I'd like to see. Nothing flashy just a solid durable 3 year starter. He'll probably be drafted before his stats would dictate because the DT class is pretty weak. Best of all he carries no academic or injury baggage.

Terrence Taylor NT 6-1/2 319 Michigan - A 3rd round prospect that would fit nicely in the 3-4 scheme. Taylor is a classic nose tackle. He is built low to the ground with a wide base, and is very difficult to move off the line of scrimmage. His thick build and natural strength allow him to hold his ground and clog running lanes. Taylor does supply some penetration ability because he does have some quickness. He comes off the snap quick, and once he is moving upfield he is difficult to stop because of his power and momentum he has built up. All he does is get down and dirty and does his job well.

Joemailman
02-05-2009, 02:59 PM
http://www.footballsfuture.com/2009/prospects/terrance_taylor.html

Taylor is certainly a possibility if the Packers miss out on Raji.

privatepacker
02-05-2009, 04:08 PM

The Texas Longhorns had Casey Hampton and Shaun Rodgers as starting DTs and OK. put 40, and 50 points on them. Team Stats aren't everything when you look at individual players.

Harlan Huckleby
02-05-2009, 04:32 PM
ISn't every team on the lookout for a good NT?

Big defensive lineman that are any good are scarce.

That's why JH are Cole have value. Look at all the big guys who wash out of the defensive line.

Joemailman
02-05-2009, 04:46 PM

The Texas Longhorns had Casey Hampton and Shaun Rodgers as starting DTs and OK. put 40, and 50 points on them. Team Stats aren't everything when you look at individual players.

No, but team stats for a full season tell more than those from one game. Plus, I've never seen a good run defense that didn't have strong players in the middle.

The Shadow
02-05-2009, 05:27 PM
Personally, I'd have no trouble with the Pack parting with the #3 they received from the Jets to move up a few slots to grab B.J.
After stocking up on picks to fill out depth the last few years, it's now time to grab a guy (if he is indeed 'the guy' in Packer's eyes) who can be a true difference maker.

Lurker64
02-05-2009, 05:46 PM

No, but team stats for a full season tell more than those from one game. Plus, I've never seen a good run defense that didn't have strong players in the middle.

Also "we had the #93 ranked offense in the country" is a fairly solid reason for why a team wasn't wildly successful (though they did win their division) despite having some very good defensive players.

red
02-05-2009, 06:05 PM
god damn shaun cody, why the hell didn't he come out? its not like he gets good grades.

he's not good at school

if he had come out then one of him or raji would have been there at #9

Gunakor
02-06-2009, 12:41 AM
All this talk about plan B and C makes me sick, to be honest. We have extra ammo in this years draft, having an extra 3rd and an extra 6th. Package the extra 3rd and, if need be, our extra 6th with our #9 to move up into the top 5 and get Raji. Make plan A work. Do it.

mission
02-06-2009, 02:03 AM
Raji is legit.

Waldo
02-06-2009, 06:54 AM
All this talk about plan B and C makes me sick, to be honest. We have extra ammo in this years draft, having an extra 3rd and an extra 6th. Package the extra 3rd and, if need be, our extra 6th with our #9 to move up into the top 5 and get Raji. Make plan A work. Do it. To move up to #5 from #9 it would take our second (#5 and a 4th for #9 and #41) or both of our 3rds.

Gunakor
02-06-2009, 07:06 AM
All this talk about plan B and C makes me sick, to be honest. We have extra ammo in this years draft, having an extra 3rd and an extra 6th. Package the extra 3rd and, if need be, our extra 6th with our #9 to move up into the top 5 and get Raji. Make plan A work. Do it. To move up to #5 from #9 it would take our second (#5 and a 4th for #9 and #41) or both of our 3rds.

I'd happily trade both of our 3rds if that's what it took. What do you absolutely need to have to run an effective 3-4? A good NT. What is Raji?

Besides, Teddy could always trade down in the second to get back into the third if he wanted to anyway.

Make it happen!

Fritz
02-06-2009, 08:13 AM
Obviously you've got to wait and see how it plays out. If Raji does well at the combine, he might be long gone by #5, and there's no way for TT to move up much farther unless he pulls a Mike Ditka and trades his whole draft away.

However, if Raji is still sitting there at, say, #6, it might be tempting. But let's not get too caught up in the whole we-hav- tohave-that-guy thing. Sometimes we forget that the vast majority of us don't know jack about anything coming after maybe - maybe - the third round. So we tend to focus on the "sexy" picks - the first rounders we read about. For all we know, TT has got an eye on some big ol' kid from Montgomery State Bible College and Cooking Institute.

So let's not get too mad if TT doesn't just trade up to get the "name" guy.

And if he does, well, then he for sure must like the guy.

packrat
02-06-2009, 08:26 AM
Refresh my memory--can anyone name a trade up of a couple of spots in the first round that worked out for ANYONE? I guess Denver did OK on the Cutler trade, but I don't remember how far they moved up.

Waldo
02-06-2009, 08:33 AM
Refresh my memory--can anyone name a trade up of a couple of spots in the first round that worked out for ANYONE? I guess Denver did OK on the Cutler trade, but I don't remember how far they moved up.

The Packers used Matt H. to trade up the the first (the equivalent of a 2nd round pick) to snag Jamal Reynolds. Awesome trade.

Denver gave #15 and #68 to trade up to #11 to grab Cutler.

Jacksonville gave Baltimore #26, #71, #89, #125 for #8 to get Harvey, not the best looking trade right now, Baltimore turned around gave #26, #89, and #173 to Houston for #18 to get Joe Flacco, a good trade. In the end though Baltimore gave #8 and #173 for Joe Flacco, #71, and #125. They traded #125 to Oakland for Fabian Washington.

I think the Browns are happy with the trade that netted Brady Quinn. In the same draft the Jets traded up about 10 spots to grab Revis.

Generally the first round trade ups to grab a QB are the ones that work the best. If one of the first round QB's falls, we are in a prime spot to trade our pick since SF (#10) is seen as a landing point for one of them.

wist43
02-06-2009, 09:04 AM
I was under the impression that all you homers thought we were good along the DL???

Harrell at DE, Kampman at LB... we don't need no stinking NT!!!!! :D

Gunakor
02-06-2009, 03:35 PM
Obviously you've got to wait and see how it plays out. If Raji does well at the combine, he might be long gone by #5, and there's no way for TT to move up much farther unless he pulls a Mike Ditka and trades his whole draft away.

However, if Raji is still sitting there at, say, #6, it might be tempting. But let's not get too caught up in the whole we-hav- tohave-that-guy thing. Sometimes we forget that the vast majority of us don't know jack about anything coming after maybe - maybe - the third round. So we tend to focus on the "sexy" picks - the first rounders we read about. For all we know, TT has got an eye on some big ol' kid from Montgomery State Bible College and Cooking Institute.

Normally I don't get into the we-have-to-get-that-guy deal, but this is a little different.

First off, I hope we never have the opportunity to move up into the top 5 again. Because I hope we are never have a pick in the top 10 again to begin with. So this is a unique situation in the sense that we CAN do this if we want to this year. Hopefully, we won't have that ability next year or the year after.

Secondly, who knows when the next time a studly NT is going to be available to us - either in the draft or FA? Again, this makes it a rather unique situation. We have an opportunity to grab a guy who will play the most important position in our new defense for the next decade or more. A position not easy to fill. IMO we need to seize this opportunity while we have it, because there's no telling when it will roll around again.

Lastly, we don't need 7 new draftees this year. The core of the team is set. I'd use the first on Raji, the second hopefully on an OT, and honestly would use the rest as currency in a trade for vets and/or moving up to get Raji. I like the young players on our team, but I don't want to add many more. I'd be more willing to trade away picks this year than in years past, something I'd hope Teddy will be more open to this year as well.

Gunakor
02-06-2009, 03:41 PM

Probably as many times as standing pat has worked out. The whole draft is a crapshoot. But with 85% of the roster being 25 years old or younger, how horrible would it be to trade a pick or 3 to move up a few spots to grab the guy you want - knowing the guy you want won't be there for you if you just sit on your hands and do nothing?

sharpe1027
02-06-2009, 04:41 PM

Probably as many times as standing pat has worked out. The whole draft is a crapshoot. But with 85% of the roster being 25 years old or younger, how horrible would it be to trade a pick or 3 to move up a few spots to grab the guy you want - knowing the guy you want won't be there for you if you just sit on your hands and do nothing?

Probably not given that by trading up you end up with at least one less chance to win the crap shoot.

It wouldn't be horrible, but given what they would give up in other picks and that they have to pay a lot more guaranteed money for the top few spots, it seems like a bad deal to me. Of course it really comes down to the player, if they really think that highly of a guy, by all means go for it.

rbaloha1
02-06-2009, 05:27 PM

If Raji, Crabtree or Andre Smith fall there are worth a reasonable trade up. These guys are most likely instant impact players. The Packers need impact player(s) and not depth.

Dudes from Montgomery State Bible College and Cooking Institute are most likely not instant impact players.

texaspackerbacker
02-06-2009, 05:43 PM
I was under the impression that all you homers thought we were good along the DL???

I resemble that remark!

Pickett, Cole, and/or some scrap heap pickup would do just fine. I think when they say the Packers are "on the lookout", they mean lower down in the draft--at the very highest, Brace in the 2nd or 3rd round.

Raji is "legit"? We know that how? How many big D Linemen are drafted in the first round, much less lower? And how many of them turn out to be Albert Haynesworth? And when somebody like that does come along, how likely are they to play NT in a 3/4? Why the slim chance on that last question? Not because they would balk at it--although they might. How about because adequate 3/4 NTs are easy enough to find and unimportant enough that they don't merit a high first round pick?

rbaloha1
02-06-2009, 05:56 PM

I resemble that remark!

Pickett, Cole, and/or some scrap heap pickup would do just fine. I think when they say the Packers are "on the lookout", they mean lower down in the draft--at the very highest, Brace in the 2nd or 3rd round.

Raji is "legit"? We know that how? How many big D Linemen are drafted in the first round, much less lower? And how many of them turn out to be Albert Haynesworth? And when somebody like that does come along, how likely are they to play NT in a 3/4? Why the slim chance on that last question? Not because they would balk at it--although they might. How about because adequate 3/4 NTs are easy enough to find and unimportant enough that they don't merit a high first round pick?

The entire draft is speculative. Based on Raji's body of work and recent senior bowl play has lead numerous draft projectors to label Raji an impact player. Is this an absolute -- no.

The Packers need an impact nose tackle. Raji is the guy. Again worth a reasonable trade up.

Waldo
02-06-2009, 06:27 PM

I resemble that remark!

There is pretty much complete agreement among coaches, players, and talking heads; NT is the most important position in a 3-4, by far.

Good ones:
H. Ngata - 1st round
C. Hampton - 1st round
V. Wilfork - 1st round
K Jenkins - 2nd round
J Williams - 2nd round (supplemental draft pick, highest supplemental pick since 1992)
J Ratliff - 7th round (very atypical, tiny guy for a NT, his backup/rotational guy was a 2nd rounder)

eh:
S Rogers - 2nd round
J Ferguson - 7th round (34 yrs old, he ate his way to the nose later in his career)
A. Franklin - 5th round

texaspackerbacker
02-06-2009, 06:28 PM

I resemble that remark!

The entire draft is speculative. Based on Raji's body of work and recent senior bowl play has lead numerous draft projectors to label Raji an impact player. Is this an absolute -- no.

The Packers need an impact nose tackle. Raji is the guy. Again worth a reasonable trade up.

I don't think so, and I doubt Thompson or McCarthy will think so either. I wouldn't rate it higher than a maybe that they would take Raji if he slipped to #9--yeah, I know nobody thinks that will happen.

DonHutson
02-06-2009, 07:08 PM
I'd be thrilled to get Raji at #9. But before we go trading anything extra to move up and get him, I want to know if he's really a top 5 type talent, or is he just riding high because there are absolutely no other DT's worth a damn in this draft?

Waldo
02-06-2009, 07:37 PM
I'd be thrilled to get Raji at #9. But before we go trading anything extra to move up and get him, I want to know if he's really a top 5 type talent, or is he just riding high because there are absolutely no other DT's worth a damn in this draft?

He's riding high because he was the "winner" at the last scouting event. Just like guys that played well in bowl games were riding high 3 weeks ago. 3 weeks from now the combine stars shoot up, the disappointments fall, and the order shook up a bit as the draft heads into the home stretch.

DT's rarely wow at the combine, especially NT's. His stock is at its peak, it'll probably drift down a bit before the draft, but I highly doubt he makes it past #12. His stock is high enough that one of the 3 mid-high 3-4 teams (GB, SF, Den) will grab him. NT isn't quite as important to a 4-3.

red
02-06-2009, 07:52 PM

He's riding high because he was the "winner" at the last scouting event. Just like guys that played well in bowl games were riding high 3 weeks ago. 3 weeks from now the combine stars shoot up, the disappointments fall, and the order shook up a bit as the draft heads into the home stretch.

DT's rarely wow at the combine, especially NT's. His stock is at its peak, it'll probably drift down a bit before the draft, but I highly doubt he makes it past #12. His stock is high enough that one of the 3 mid-high 3-4 teams (GB, SF, Den) will grab him. NT isn't quite as important to a 4-3.

raji had a great year followed by a damn good bowl game then followed it up with a very good senior bowl

the guys been bringing it all year and his stock has likewise been rising all year

IMO we HAVE to draft a NT somewhere in this draft. we have one guy whos capable of playing the position. we need depth there, its a position where the guy is going to get really worn down. and right now, besides pickett, we don't have anyone that comes close to being able to be a NT.

so either pickett is you starter, or he's a damn good backup that can almost split time 50/50

one way or another, we need another nt

Waldo
02-06-2009, 07:57 PM

raji had a great year followed by a damn good bowl game then followed it up with a very good senior bowl

the guys been bringing it all year and his stock has likewise been rising all year

It has, but many of the other top prospects have been forgotten as of late, as Oher and Raji were the only top 15 picks to participate in the senior bowl. The rest have been quiet since the bowl games. People have forgotten how studly the studs are. They will be reminded of their greatness at the combine.

SnakeLH2006
02-06-2009, 11:28 PM

Damn, been hearing more and more good things lately about Raji, sounds like the prefect pick, but sounds like he's moving up.

I definitely have a woodie for a top-notch BJ, but if not, what are the options? :lol:

Pickett looked like he lost a step a year ago and the debate is on if he'd hold up at NT. FA has one beast in Hayneworth, doubt we have a shot there, and once we go past the 2nd round, it looks slim pickin's.

I have faith in our ensemble of 3-4 D coaches we assembled, but we definitely need a man-mountain in the middle.

Lurker64
02-06-2009, 11:38 PM
I have faith in our ensemble of 3-4 D coaches we assembled, but we definitely need a man-mountain in the middle.

Well, the question for the coaching staff is really "do we want to spend a lot of resources on a guy who could probably start at NT who would split time with Pickett", or "do we want to draft a guy late, platoon him in a rotation, and develop him."

If we want a guy who has a shot at being a 50/50 starter with Pickett, we ought to nab a guy like Raji or Brace.

If we are just looking for "a backup NT" a guy like Terrence Taylor or Sammie Lee Hill would be a good pickup in the later rounds.

The problem I have is that a top ten pick is a high price for a backup, and Pickett hasn't really done anything to convince me he can't start.

SnakeLH2006
02-06-2009, 11:44 PM

Well, the question for the coaching staff is really "do we want to spend a lot of resources on a guy who could probably start at NT who would split time with Pickett", or "do we want to draft a guy late, platoon him in a rotation, and develop him."

If we want a guy who has a shot at being a 50/50 starter with Pickett, we ought to nab a guy like Raji or Brace.

If we are just looking for "a backup NT" a guy like Terrence Taylor or Sammie Lee Hill would be a good pickup in the later rounds.

The problem I have is that a top ten pick is a high price for a backup, and Pickett hasn't really done anything to convince me he can't start.

I agree, but keep in mind Pickett is 30, and slowing down, and is due for FA after this year. With those things in mind, I'd really like to land a stud at NT for the next 10 years, as great 3-4 D's are predicated on a man-mountain to dictate gaps/blockers/etc. for the LB's to fly free. I don't see Pickett being that man in 2009 and much less past that seeing how he's older, slowing, and a FA to be after this year.

Lurker64
02-07-2009, 12:01 AM
I do think that whatever happens at the top of the draft, Thompson really ought to draft a few big guys (like Sammie Lee Hill, say), in the later rounds. I think a large part of our issues on the DL over the last year were that Thompson just stopped taking DL late, and some of those late round DL guys will grow into solid contributors over a few years (Kampman, Corey Williams, KGB). We spent a 6th round pick on Jolly, and a year later he was an important cog along the DL. We need to do more things like that, no matter who we take in the #1 spot.

The Shadow
02-07-2009, 10:05 PM
I think a stud nose tackle would be a great first piece to add in the new 3-4 system.
I am really hoping B.J. is there when we pick.

Partial
02-07-2009, 10:08 PM
I do think that whatever happens at the top of the draft, Thompson really ought to draft a few big guys (like Sammie Lee Hill, say), in the later rounds. I think a large part of our issues on the DL over the last year were that Thompson just stopped taking DL late, and some of those late round DL guys will grow into solid contributors over a few years (Kampman, Corey Williams, KGB). We spent a 6th round pick on Jolly, and a year later he was an important cog along the DL. We need to do more things like that, no matter who we take in the #1 spot.

You mean like Monty (2005), Jolly (2006), and Harrell (2007) :D Just giving you shit

Lurker64
02-08-2009, 01:29 AM

You mean like Monty (2005), Jolly (2006), and Harrell (2007) :D Just giving you shit

We took Jolly in the late rounds of 06, true, but you can't call Harrell a late round guy, and we didn't take any big DT bodies in the late rounds of 07 and 08.

rbaloha1
02-08-2009, 02:13 PM

Agreed. This draft is crucial for finding players specifically for the 3-4. Questions remain if the following players are good fits for the scheme: Kampman, Jenkins and Barnett.

Partial
02-08-2009, 02:25 PM

We took Jolly in the late rounds of 06, true, but you can't call Harrell a late round guy, and we didn't take any big DT bodies in the late rounds of 07 and 08.

Would you rather have had TT draft someone in the 6th than the 1st? The point is he didn't neglect the position, the players drafted just haven't produced. If Harrell was healthy and producing, we're not having this discussion.

3irty1
02-08-2009, 08:12 PM
I saw a couple of guys have mentioned Sammie Lee Hill as a possible 2nd day selection. I saw him play in Columbia, SC last year against Benedict where he had a big game. The guy is 6'4" and 325 but he was playing left end. His stats for that game were:

8 tackles, a forced fumble, a fumble recovery, a pass defended, and 1.5 Sacks

He left enough of an impression on me that I did a little research and I found some interesting facts about him. He's quite the versatile athlete and has tremendous leaping ability. 30 or 40 lbs ago he was a skilled basketball player and before he was a left end he played defensive tackle, Tight end, Linebacker, and Kicker.

Most interestingly though, Sammie Lee Hill was in the papers last August for carrying a man in Tuscaloosa out of a burning house.

A small 1-AA school guy like this will have to have some good workouts if he's going to make noise in the draft but I'd be all for picking him sometime on day two. He seems like he might be our type of guy.

swede
02-08-2009, 08:31 PM
...Sammie Lee Hill as a possible 2nd day selection. The guy is 6'4" and 325...

His stats for that game were:

8 tackles, a forced fumble, a fumble recovery, a pass defended, and 1.5 Sacks...

I'd be all for picking him sometime on day two. He seems like he might be our type of guy.

Well, get going and call the Packers offices. They let two or three nuts talk to TT and Murphy every day. One of them might as well be you.

Guiness
02-08-2009, 11:23 PM
I saw a couple of guys have mentioned Sammie Lee Hill as a possible 2nd day selection. I saw him play in Columbia, SC last year against Benedict where he had a big game. The guy is 6'4" and 325 but he was playing left end. His stats for that game were:

8 tackles, a forced fumble, a fumble recovery, a pass defended, and 1.5 Sacks

He left enough of an impression on me that I did a little research and I found some interesting facts about him. He's quite the versatile athlete and has tremendous leaping ability. 30 or 40 lbs ago he was a skilled basketball player and before he was a left end he played defensive tackle, Tight end, Linebacker, and Kicker.

Most interestingly though, Sammie Lee Hill was in the papers last August for carrying a man in Tuscaloosa out of a burning house.

A small 1-AA school guy like this will have to have some good workouts if he's going to make noise in the draft but I'd be all for picking him sometime on day two. He seems like he might be our type of guy.

Is he this year's feel-good story? The press needs guys like him to keep the ink flowing this time of year. Last year I remember a lot of time being spent talking about a 1-AA or D2 RB who was supposed to be amazing. I watched for him on day, but don't think I saw his name called.

ok, just looked, it was Danny Woodhead. Wasn't drafted, and doesn't look like he landed anywhere.

Joemailman
02-10-2009, 01:41 PM

Hopefully Raji is still there. That's starting to look less likely.

Moala is listed at only #280. I don't think that's what they're looking for. Maybe they could bulk him up to play end.

After Raji and Brace, I don't see any DT draft prospects over #320 until you get down to the late round guys.

I'm starting to think Raji will be there. He's considered marginal as a pass rusher. Teams that run a 4-3 will not spend that high a pick on a guy who is primarily considered a run stuffer. Haloti Ngata lasted until the #12 pick a few years ago. There have not been any 3-4 teams in recent years that have drafted a NT that early. So I think he'll be there. Whether TT thinks he's worth a #9 pick is another matter.

Fritz
02-10-2009, 03:31 PM
Since I don't pay as much attention as some here, anybody care to give his/her opinion of Ron Brace? Could he be the monster body needed to plug up the middle? Is he an end-of-the-first-rounder? Why is Raji seen as so much better?

Joemailman
02-10-2009, 03:58 PM
I think Raji is considered to be a bit quicker. Most seem to consider Brace a 2nd round pick. I'd be happy if the Packers got one of the top OT's on the 1st round, and Brace in the 2nd. http://www.draftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/dt/Ron-Brace.php

Fritz
02-10-2009, 04:08 PM
Thanks, Joe.

Waldo
02-10-2009, 06:36 PM
Since I don't pay as much attention as some here, anybody care to give his/her opinion of Ron Brace? Could he be the monster body needed to plug up the middle? Is he an end-of-the-first-rounder? Why is Raji seen as so much better?

Both can command double teams against the run and plug things up. Brace is a lot like Pickett in that that's all he's really good for. Raji has the potential to command doubles in the passing game as well. If that is the case, they have to make the gamble on every snap as to which OLB is rushing (or if both do it doesn't matter). If they guess wrong that OLB is isolated on a TE or RB in blitz pickup. In the 4-3 Hawk and Poppinga are OLB's, in the 3-4 Kamp and Thompson are OLB's. I would wager that Kamp would have an easier time getting to the QB if a RB, not a RT, was blocking him, and he had a head of steam going when he got to the RB.

Of course Raji wouldn't provide much rush being doubled and probably wouldn't have great stats and might "disappear", but you can see the advantages of having a man like this in the middle.

Fritz
02-10-2009, 08:39 PM
Hmm. So if you could get Raji in the first, OR Brace in the second and an offensive lineman in the first, which way would you go?

Pacopete4
02-10-2009, 08:45 PM
Hmm. So if you could get Raji in the first, OR Brace in the second and an offensive lineman in the first, which way would you go?

Depends.. Are the 2 DT's compatible and who is the lineman? And if we take Raji, who we getting in the 2nd?