PDA

View Full Version : Cassel Franchised

Guiness
02-05-2009, 08:20 PM
As expected, Cassel has been franchised. Good insurance by the Patriots, and though I'm sure he would've liked a multi-year contract, he can't be too upset that his salary went from $520K to $14.65 million!!!

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- The New England Patriots placed the franchise tag on Matt Cassel on Thursday.

The move means the quarterback remains a free agent, but the Patriots can match any offer made by another team or allow him to sign with that team in exchange for two first-round draft picks.

If and when he signs the one-year franchise tag designation, worth $14.65 million for 2009, he will be under contract to the Patriots, who could keep him or trade him.

Cassel's stock soared last season after he took over for Tom Brady, who suffered a season-ending knee injury in the opening game. Cassel helped the Patriots to an 11-5 record, but they missed the playoffs.

One factor in the Patriots' decision on whether to keep two highly paid quarterbacks is Brady's progress from knee surgery and the prospects for him being ready for the start of next season.

"Matt has been a pleasure to coach his entire career and last season in particular, when his years of hard work and commitment resulted in a most impressive performance," Patriots coach Bill Belichick said in a statement. "We look forward to working with Matt again in 2009."

David Dunn, Cassel's agent, did not return a call seeking comment.

Teams are allowed to place the franchise tag on one player per season. Without it, Cassel would have become an unrestricted free agent Feb. 27 and could have signed with any team without compensation to the Patriots. The period in which a team can designate a franchise player is Feb. 5-19.

The 26-year-old Cassel hadn't started a game in seven seasons -- four at Southern California and three after New England chose him in the seventh round of the 2005 draft. He also struggled while taking most of the snaps in the 2008 exhibition season. But when Brady went down midway through the first quarter of the Patriots 17-10 win over Kansas City, Cassel responded.

He started the remaining 15 games and finished with 327 completions in 516 attempts (63.4 percent) for 3,693 yards, 21 touchdowns and 11 interceptions. The yardage was the fourth most in the AFC and the completion percentage was the third best in team history.

Cassel made $520,000 last season.

If the Patriots keep Brady and Cassel, they would have two quarterbacks taking up nearly 25 percent of the team's salary cap of $123 million for 2009. Brady's cap charge will be $14.62 million, although his actual salary for the year is $5 million with a $3 million bonus for making the roster.

Cassel is the fifth player in Patriots history to be designated a franchise player. The others were kicker Adam Vinatieri in 2002 and 2005, defensive back Tebucky Jones in 2003 and cornerback Asante Samuel in 2007. The Patriots waited until the last day to place the tag on all but Samuel, doing it six days earlier.

In 2002, the Patriots lifted the tag after they reached a multiyear agreement with Vinatieri. But he played under the tag in 2005 then left as a free agent for Indianapolis in 2006. In 2003, the Patriots traded Jones to New Orleans for three draft picks.

In 2007, Samuel held out of training camp until the Patriots agreed not to apply the tag to him again in 2008 if he played in 60 percent of the defensive snaps or they won 12 games in 2008. Both conditions were met and he left after that season for Philadelphia as a free agent.
Copyright 2009 by STATS LLC and The Associated Press. Any commercial use or distribution without the express written consent of STATS LLC and The Associated Press is strictly prohibited.

Guiness
02-05-2009, 08:21 PM
Also at PFT

The New England Patriots announced today that they have designated quarterback Matt Cassel as their franchise player, becoming only the fourth player in team history to receive the designation. The team didn’t waste any time securing him contractually for next season; Thursday was the first day to apply the tag.

It’s a hefty price tag against their 2009 salary cap, a one-year, $14.65 million salary.

Of course, the Patriots can entertain trade offers for Cassel, who proved to be valuable insurance when Tom Brady suffered a season-ending knee injury.

“Matt has been a pleasure to coach his entire career and last season in particular, when his years of hard work and commitment resulted in a most impressive performance,” Patriots coach Bill Belichick said in a statement. “We look forward to working with Matt again in 2009.”

The three previous Patriots to be designated as franchise players are kicker Adam Vinatieri (2002 and 2005), safety Tebucky Jones (2003) and cornerback Asante Samuel (2007).

Joemailman
02-05-2009, 08:28 PM
Is he making more than Brady? If not, how can they afford to pay out 30 mil for 2 QB's?

Fritz
02-05-2009, 08:31 PM
Minnesota's going to pony up for the Cass-man. Two first rounders? A first and a second?

What say, Ras? Sacrifice the future in hopes that Cassell is more than a system quarterback?

Joemailman
02-05-2009, 08:48 PM
Atlanta got two 2nd's for Schaub a couple of years ago. Cassel would be worth at least that. That is, If New England is confident enough about Brady's knee to trade Cassel.

Rastak
02-05-2009, 08:48 PM
Minnesota's going to pony up for the Cass-man. Two first rounders? A first and a second?

What say, Ras? Sacrifice the future in hopes that Cassell is more than a system quarterback?

Complicated question......

Sacrifice future first round busts or outstanding performers?

Damn draft is a crap shoot. I don't equate this with a Scott Mitchell situation by the way, Cassell is better.

Still, plenty of risk. I think I'd prefer they keep the #1 and get an OT and get one of the many experienced QB's available in FA that ain't scrap pile material. Is Favre scrap pile material? Likely....not 100% sure but likely to me.

Fritz
02-05-2009, 08:52 PM
Uh oh....uh oh....Ras's dropping "F bombs" now....!?

You know you want to, Ras. 'Fess up.

Quick, what's the first number that pops into your head?

C'mon, you know it was 4!

KYPack
02-05-2009, 08:53 PM
Kid got a 14.1 million dollar raise?

That's good money, now.

They will trade him, won't they?

Fritz
02-05-2009, 08:57 PM
You gotta think so, don't you?

Unless Belichik goes Thompson on Brady and trades him instead...

Bretsky
02-05-2009, 09:39 PM
IT IS JUST NOT FAIR

RICH GET RICHER

Best coach
Best player

Not they trun some yahoo into a guy who they will probably get an extra first and second round pick for

The Patriots have clearly sold their souls

texaspackerbacker
02-05-2009, 11:05 PM
This would seem to be a major tactical error by New England. I really doubt anybody is going to want Cassel that badly. And if the Patriots end up keeping him and Brady for all that money, it would devastate their cap situation. At best, they're really rolling the dice hoping to profit from the Vikings--or somebody's stupidity.

Bretsky
02-05-2009, 11:50 PM
This would seem to be a major tactical error by New England. I really doubt anybody is going to want Cassel that badly. And if the Patriots end up keeping him and Brady for all that money, it would devastate their cap situation. At best, they're really rolling the dice hoping to profit from the Vikings--or somebody's stupidity.

This is a brilliant move Tex; NE will end up trading him. The new team will get 48 hours to work out a contract and they will renegotiate a deal with Cassell.
They will get value for the guy. And if Brady is hurt long term it was the only way to keep him

Cheesehead Craig
02-06-2009, 12:02 AM
A young QB that has shown very good ability far better than anything they could hope to get out of this draft, I'd say there are 4-5 teams seriously considering the trade to get him.

This move puts them with about 1-2M under the cap just for this coming season. It would seem that some reworking of a few deals would easily get them further under the cap to sign their draft picks and some vets at the minimum.

Even if they keep him, I don't see it as a devastating situation to their cap. At worst this is a one year situation.

mission
02-06-2009, 02:02 AM
No way they can hold onto the salary.

The Pats franchised him because they *knew* there would be trade suitors. Unlike Peppers and the likelihood that he gets franchised this year. 16.7 mil is too much to take a chance on.

Rastak
02-06-2009, 05:51 AM
Uh oh....uh oh....Ras's dropping "F bombs" now....!?

You know you want to, Ras. 'Fess up.

Quick, what's the first number that pops into your head?

C'mon, you know it was 4!

No, I'm not sure about that. I think the dude is either done or whatever is right next to done. Last leg would be the term? It would be fun as hell watching you guys freak out if played with any success with the Vikings.

That having been said, I'd have to cringe whenever he ran out of the tunnel.... :)

I think he'll quit myself. My current guess is the Vikings try and pry McNabb away and if they can't it'll be somebody like Leftwich.

cpk1994
02-06-2009, 06:37 AM
No way they can hold onto the salary.

The Pats franchised him because they *knew* there would be trade suitors. Unlike Peppers and the likelihood that he gets franchised this year. 16.7 mil is too much to take a chance on.Or the fact there is a good chance that Brady will be unable to polay in 2009 at all.

Guiness
02-06-2009, 07:19 AM
A young QB that has shown very good ability far better than anything they could hope to get out of this draft, I'd say there are 4-5 teams seriously considering the trade to get him.

This move puts them with about 1-2M under the cap just for this coming season. It would seem that some reworking of a few deals would easily get them further under the cap to sign their draft picks and some vets at the minimum.

Even if they keep him, I don't see it as a devastating situation to their cap. At worst this is a one year situation.

Wow, I didn't realize their cap situation was so good. They can take that hit, and still be under the cap? Yikes, that franchise just keeps looking better and better.

CC is right, even if this put them against the wall (which it didn't), this is not a devastating situation to their cap, it's a one year thing.

Everybody's assuming that he's on the trade block. Until Brady is 100% cleared to play, NE is not accepting phone calls, no matter what is offered. Franchising him was protecting their investment, but it was also an insurance policy.

IF they trade him, I think it'll be a 1st and 2nd this year, or maybe a 1st this year and next. A bigger question is what kind of contract he'll get. He just got the franchise offer at 14 and change. Will he want a 4yr/$50mil deal???

Patler
02-06-2009, 07:57 AM
Don't discount the idea that Brady will be the one they get rid of. He will be 32 years old before the start of this season, which could be a "lost" season for him physically. With all the problems he had, this could be a knee injury like in the old days, when players were never close to the same again after having their knees opened up. Even if he does recover, it could be 2010 before he is the Brady of old, and by how many years might this shorten his career?

A healthy 27-year-old on the rise, or a damaged 32-year-old with an uncertain future? They could easily settle on Cassel.

Fritz
02-06-2009, 08:02 AM
As I said in my earlier post, Patler, the organization might decide to "go Thompson" on Brady...

Patler
02-06-2009, 09:05 AM
As I said in my earlier post, Patler, the organization might decide to "go Thompson" on Brady...

Yup. They took only a year to pull the plug on Bledsoe, who was just 30 and had been their starter for 8 seasons before getting hurt in his 9th. I'm not suggesting Bledsoe then was as good as Brady before his injury, but Bledsoe had been pretty dependable, played well and Brady was a bit uncertain after his first year, even with all the success they had.

NE has been quick to accept the future when it presents itself.

sharpe1027
02-06-2009, 09:13 AM

That would be even more controversial than Favre/Rodgers. At least with Favre, there was the retirement, the uncertainty on his commitment and the suggestions that he wanted to go elsewhere, ect...

If they traded Brady, people would be up in arms unless they won the superbowl.

Fritz
02-06-2009, 10:46 AM
I'll bet they could get a king's ransom for Brady, though, and set themselves up for the next seven or eight years.

sheepshead
02-06-2009, 11:45 AM
This one will be fun to watch. Either way it looks like the rich get richer.

Guiness
02-06-2009, 11:47 AM

Yup. They took only a year to pull the plug on Bledsoe, who was just 30 and had been their starter for 8 seasons before getting hurt in his 9th. I'm not suggesting Bledsoe then was as good as Brady before his injury, but Bledsoe had been pretty dependable, played well and Brady was a bit uncertain after his first year, even with all the success they had.

NE has been quick to accept the future when it presents itself.

This is very true. Bledsoe was a top notch QB when he got hurt, and as you pointed out, was even younger than Brady.

I wouldn't discount this at all, especially if he isn't ready this fall, and Cassel starts off well.

Cheesehead Craig
02-06-2009, 12:30 PM
I remember on ESPN with Stephen A Smith and some other talking head about a month ago were talking NFL and one of them brought up trading Brady and keeping Cassell. At first Smith was way against it, but then the other guy said what if you get 2 first rounders and a 3rd for Brady? Smith then stopped in his tracks and said that kind of deal would be real hard to pass up. Smith just couldn't find any reasons not to do that kind of deal and he always has something to say to back up his arguments. The Pats would likely get 3 very good draft picks, save lots of money in cap room by getting rid of Brady's contract and signing Cassell to a cheaper deal and get themselves loaded with young talent and be cap rich for a while.

I asked some NE area friends about this and they said a riot would ensue if Brady got traded and that it's inconcievable to NE fans that this would happen.

texaspackerbacker
02-06-2009, 05:57 PM
I have no idea how sensitive Belichek and the Pats owner are to their fan base, but if they got rid of Brady, you could take the Favre controversy here and multiply it by about a hundred.

Bretsky, I would agree, getting something for Cassel is better than getting nothing for him, but franchising him means he gets a $14 million plus contract. Nobody in their right mind is gonna trade for him with the millstone of that kind of a contract. And assuming they don't trade Brady or Brady is significantly damaged goods, then they are stuck with Cassel's huge contract--and in a helluva mess.

Gunakor
02-06-2009, 06:07 PM
I have no idea how sensitive Belichek and the Pats owner are to their fan base, but if they got rid of Brady, you could take the Favre controversy here and multiply it by about a hundred.

Bretsky, I would agree, getting something for Cassel is better than getting nothing for him, but franchising him means he gets a $14 million plus contract. Nobody in their right mind is gonna trade for him with the millstone of that kind of a contract. And assuming they don't trade Brady or Brady is significantly damaged goods, then they are stuck with Cassel's huge contract--and in a helluva mess.

Any team that trades for Cassel is free to rework his contract, a condition I'm sure would be part of any trade. Cassel won't be making 14 million anywhere other than New England this year.

texaspackerbacker
02-06-2009, 06:19 PM

Any team that trades for Cassel is free to rework his contract, a condition I'm sure would be part of any trade. Cassel won't be making 14 million anywhere other than New England this year.

But if he has a signed contract for $14 million, why would he agree to rework it for a lot less? Maybe $50 million for 5 years, or something like that, but I would question whether he is worth something like that long term.

LP
02-07-2009, 08:59 AM
I'll bet they could get a king's ransom for Brady, though, and set themselves up for the next seven or eight years.

Does anyone know if supermodels like to hang out in Minnesota?

jklowan
02-07-2009, 04:05 PM
You all have it wrong they are opening a white castle at Patriot place :D

KYPack
02-08-2009, 03:46 PM

Latest scuttlebutt out of Boston says Cassel will stay with the Pats in the '09 season.

Bill B likes his work and Brady's knee is shaky.

I can't wait to see how they work the cap situation.

Maybe we can get a Wilfork or two out of that team.

They have to be squeezed like crazy in this situation.

channtheman
02-09-2009, 12:28 AM
You gotta think so, don't you?

Unless Belichik goes Thompson on Brady and trades him instead...

Belichik isn't afraid to get rid of his old starters. The only reason Brady ever played was because the guy in front of him, Drew Bledsoe, got injured. Now Brady gets injured and Cassel steps up and replaces him. See ya later Tom.

MJZiggy
02-09-2009, 10:10 PM

Does anyone know if supermodels like to hang out in Minnesota?

No. They don't. They don't have the body fat for it.