PDA

View Full Version : "BRETT FAVRE IS NOT PLAYING! WRITE IT DOWN"

MOBB DEEP
02-06-2009, 05:43 AM
according to peter king.....

although lord favre's agent says that there is no immediate timetable for his decision about his future (and that he's currently out deer hunting/FREE MIKE VICK!), king makes this statement definitively....

DAYUM....

was i actually in attendance at lord's last game in nlf uni???

DAYUM....

KYPack
02-06-2009, 05:50 AM
Good factoid for the Favre thread, Mobb.

PaCkFan_n_MD
02-06-2009, 07:14 AM
ok hold on......

Brett Favre is not playing.

Done.

SkinBasket
02-06-2009, 07:55 AM
http://mentalfloss.cachefly.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/baby-yawn.jpg

Fritz
02-06-2009, 07:59 AM
Let's check back again in May.

LL2
02-06-2009, 09:11 AM
Let's check back again in May.

Or June...then again...check in July too.

sharpe1027
02-06-2009, 09:23 AM
according to peter king.....

although lord favre's agent says that there is no immediate timetable for his decision about his future (and that he's currently out deer hunting/FREE MIKE VICK!), king makes this statement definitively....

DAYUM....

DAYUM....

Deja Vu all over again.

Harlan Huckleby
02-06-2009, 09:32 AM
another nervous FAvre Fan. :lol:

sheepshead
02-06-2009, 12:12 PM
What's Bart Starr up to these days?

retailguy
02-06-2009, 12:38 PM
What's Bart Starr up to these days?

He's training for a comeback.

Pack-man
02-06-2009, 12:40 PM
If opening weekend for the 2009 NFL season Brett Favre is not suiting up, then and only then will I believe it!

Patler
02-06-2009, 12:49 PM
If opening weekend for the 2009 NFL season Brett Favre is not suiting up, then and only then will I believe it!

.....and then, in their first games of the season, three QBs go down for the season. The phone starts ringing in Mississippi....

cpk1994
02-06-2009, 01:27 PM

.....and then, in their first games of the season, three QBs go down for the season. The phone starts ringing in Mississippi....It would have to ring in NYC first. :wink:

Patler
02-06-2009, 01:34 PM

.....and then, in their first games of the season, three QBs go down for the season. The phone starts ringing in Mississippi....It would have to ring in NYC first. :wink:

Why, it apparently didn't ring first in GB this summer!! (Darn Vikings!) :lol: :lol:

cpk1994
02-06-2009, 02:48 PM

Why, it apparently didn't ring first in GB this summer!! (Darn Vikings!) :lol: :lol:

Touche! :lol:

Gunakor
02-06-2009, 03:44 PM

So was I. Twice. Then I gave up. Being at the last game of his career every single year gets expensive.

Rastak
02-07-2009, 07:51 PM

No, it'll ring in Ole Miss. The Jets almost have to cut him if he won't retire or commit to be back.

packinpatland
02-07-2009, 09:51 PM
Where is it deer hunting season now?

DannoMac21
02-08-2009, 06:24 PM
I thought the biggest positive about getting rid of Favre was not having to put up with his offseason bullshit? So why must we continue to read about it if he bitched his way out of Green Bay?

MOBB, there are probably a BUNCH of Jets forums on the web.

Brando19
02-08-2009, 07:08 PM
Mobb..
you created a Favre forum to keep from having to create another Favre thread. Keep the crap in it.

channtheman
02-09-2009, 12:26 AM
I KNOW that Kurt Warner has had a different career than Favre (so Favre may be entitled to more or something like that) and yes I'm embarrassed to admit that I did watch a few minutes of the Pro Bowl, but they asked Warner about his retirement and he said that he wanted to make his decision as quickly as possible. It's pretty cool you got this other possible Hall of Fame QB and he doesn't want to hold the organization hostage or anything and make them wait till after the draft to hear his decision.

DannoMac21
02-09-2009, 01:25 PM
Has anybody heard if Rodgers is coming back yet?

Pacopete4
02-09-2009, 01:41 PM
I KNOW that Kurt Warner has had a different career than Favre (so Favre may be entitled to more or something like that) and yes I'm embarrassed to admit that I did watch a few minutes of the Pro Bowl, but they asked Warner about his retirement and he said that he wanted to make his decision as quickly as possible. It's pretty cool you got this other possible Hall of Fame QB and he doesn't want to hold the organization hostage or anything and make them wait till after the draft to hear his decision.

Complete bullshit! Warner is holding them just or if not more at hostage.. Saying if they bring back Boldin will sway him one way or another isn't putting pressuse on the organization? If his name was Brett Favre this would be a big deal.. Get urself a clue...

Brando19
02-09-2009, 02:39 PM

Complete bullshit! Warner is holding them just or if not more at hostage.. Saying if they bring back Boldin will sway him one way or another isn't putting pressuse on the organization? If his name was Brett Favre this would be a big deal.. Get urself a clue...

Easy boy. Remember the coin flip.

SMACKTALKIE
02-09-2009, 03:26 PM
Interesting info on Favre here. Sound like it's the Jets or nobody.

http://blogs.startribune.com/vikingsblog/

Report: Jets won’t cut Favre
February 9th, 2009 – 2:46 PM by Judd Zulgad

It seems like a long shot, but the Jets are hoping to have an answer on Brett Favre’s future in the next 10 days, according to the New York Daily News. New York has salary-cap issues and would like to know if Favre intends to continue playing or plans to retire by the time the NFL Scouting Combine begins on Feb. 18 in Indianapolis.

The Favre talk is of importance to Vikings fans because there has been speculation the veteran quarterback still would love to end up in Minnesota and attempt to stick it to his former employer, the Green Bay Packers, twice in 2009. Gary Myers of the Daily News had a couple of interesting notes as it pertains to possible Favre to the Vikings talk.

First off, according to Myers, the Jets “are not going to cut Favre even though [new coach Rex] Ryan has yet to indicate whether he even wants him. That subject has not come up internally as the Jets begin their player evaluations after Ryan put together his staff last month. But [Jets GM Mike] Tannenbaum and [owner] Woody Johnson are adamant they want Favre back, so it’s not likely Ryan will fight them.”

If the Jets are not going to release Favre, there is almost no way he can force his way to the Vikings — if that is what he actually wants. That’s because the Packers and Jets agreed to a poison pill to keep Favre out of the NFC North. While the inclusion of a poison pill was well known, Myers’ report has some information that I don’t believe was clear when the trade originally was made.

That’s the fact that the Jets would have to give the Packers one first-round draft choice if Favre is dealt to Minnesota this year. Last season, New York would have had to give up two first-rounders to Green Bay. This is just more of an interesting nugget than anything because there is no way the Jets are going to give up any first-round selections.

Pacopete4
02-09-2009, 04:06 PM

suck a dick... i didnt say anything bad just pointing out how clueless some favre haters are

Pacopete4
02-09-2009, 04:08 PM

It seems like a long shot, but the Jets are hoping to have an answer on Brett Favre’s future in the next 10 days, according to the New York Daily News. New York has salary-cap issues and would like to know if Favre intends to continue playing or plans to retire by the time the NFL Scouting Combine begins on Feb. 18 in Indianapolis.

The Favre talk is of importance to Vikings fans because there has been speculation the veteran quarterback still would love to end up in Minnesota and attempt to stick it to his former employer, the Green Bay Packers, twice in 2009. Gary Myers of the Daily News had a couple of interesting notes as it pertains to possible Favre to the Vikings talk.

First off, according to Myers, the Jets “are not going to cut Favre even though [new coach Rex] Ryan has yet to indicate whether he even wants him. That subject has not come up internally as the Jets begin their player evaluations after Ryan put together his staff last month. But [Jets GM Mike] Tannenbaum and [owner] Woody Johnson are adamant they want Favre back, so it’s not likely Ryan will fight them.”

If the Jets are not going to release Favre, there is almost no way he can force his way to the Vikings — if that is what he actually wants. That’s because the Packers and Jets agreed to a poison pill to keep Favre out of the NFC North. While the inclusion of a poison pill was well known, Myers’ report has some information that I don’t believe was clear when the trade originally was made.

That’s the fact that the Jets would have to give the Packers one first-round draft choice if Favre is dealt to Minnesota this year. Last season, New York would have had to give up two first-rounders to Green Bay. This is just more of an interesting nugget than anything because there is no way the Jets are going to give up any first-round selections.

doesnt make sense... if they cut him, they arent dealing him anywhere and that stupid poison pill would have no affect on anything... pretty poor journalism

Brando19
02-09-2009, 04:17 PM

suck a dick... i didnt say anything bad just pointing out how clueless some favre haters are

Whoa! I meant no disrespect...just trying to calm you down cuz I didn't want to see you go. Now, however, you can kiss my ass.

Pacopete4
02-09-2009, 04:19 PM
Whoa! I meant no disrespect...just trying to calm you down cuz I didn't want to see you go. Now, however, you can kiss my ass.

I can't PM ya or I would...

Sorry I lashed at you. I just don't wanna hear it because I got banned for a couple weeks, everytime I post something. But I shouldn't have told you to "suck a dick" and I am sorry.

Brando19
02-09-2009, 04:25 PM

Sorry I lashed at you. I just don't wanna hear it because I got banned for a couple weeks, everytime I post something. But I shouldn't have told you to "suck a dick" and I am sorry.

It's alright. I don't want you to kiss my ass, either. :lol:

Pacopete4
02-09-2009, 04:25 PM

It's alright. I don't want you to kiss my ass, either. :lol:

haha, noted!

SMACKTALKIE
02-09-2009, 05:05 PM

doesnt make sense... if they cut him, they arent dealing him anywhere and that stupid poison pill would have no affect on anything... pretty poor journalism

Perhaps just poor interpretation.

channtheman
02-09-2009, 07:03 PM

Easy boy! I was just noting that Warner said he wants to make his decision as quickly as possible. When is the last time you heard Favre say that? Has he ever said that?

Pacopete4
02-09-2009, 07:33 PM

Easy boy! I was just noting that Warner said he wants to make his decision as quickly as possible. When is the last time you heard Favre say that? Has he ever said that?

No, u know what u were doing I don't wanna hear it. EVERYsingle player looks out for himself first.. Every stinking one of them. Just because Favre is Favre this all gets blown out of control because hey he is human too. Go bark up some other tree for awhile, the gut hurt you, we all get it.. Now let it be

MadtownPacker
02-09-2009, 08:45 PM

Sorry I lashed at you. I just don't wanna hear it because I got banned for a couple weeks, everytime I post something. But I shouldn't have told you to "suck a dick" and I am sorry.When you send people stupid PMs you lose the ability to do it.

Actually you got your account deactivated and it looks like you really dont give a damn if it happens again. Say what you want but this whole page is just more proof you add nothing to this forum.

Lurker64
02-09-2009, 08:54 PM

It was from a Vikings blog, so the poison pill discussion makes sense. The logic is:
-Will the Vikings get Brett Favre?
--Will the Jets cut him so the Vikings can sign him as a free agent?
---No, because the Jets said they will not cut him and both the owner and GM want to keep him.

--Will the Jets trade him to the Vikings?
---No, because the poison pill would make it nearly impossible for a deal to be worked out.

Therefore, the Vikings will not get Brett Favre.

Pacopete4
02-09-2009, 09:06 PM

Sorry I lashed at you. I just don't wanna hear it because I got banned for a couple weeks, everytime I post something. But I shouldn't have told you to "suck a dick" and I am sorry.When you send people stupid PMs you lose the ability to do it.

Actually you got your account deactivated and it looks like you really dont give a damn if it happens again. Say what you want but this whole page is just more proof you add nothing to this forum.

Rarely did I ever use PM so not sure what ur talking about there. I threw out facts against channelman against his post, but since it's not what you wanna hear it's not putting towards the forum. Check the other 5 posts I had today and then be back to me about adding to the forum. This shit is such a joke sometimes ha my god.. oh a re read what I wrote.. I was saying I don't want someone to remind me about getting banned or deactivated as you wanna call it, everytime I post something..... Man I wish I was in the good ole boys club, wouldbe a lot easier

Lurker64
02-09-2009, 09:11 PM
Hey Paco? How about instead of arguing with the forum administrator that you are, in fact, a positive contributing member of the community, you just shut up, take your lumps, behave, and act like a positive contributing member of the community. I think it would endear you to folks here quite a bit more than your current tack.

Pacopete4
02-09-2009, 09:14 PM
Hey Paco? How about instead of arguing with the forum administrator that you are, in fact, a positive contributing member of the community, you just shut up, take your lumps, behave, and act like a positive contributing member of the community. I think it would endear you to folks here quite a bit more than your current tack.

why dont you PM me this bullshit instead of being a complete douche bag? works both ways bud...

Brando19
02-09-2009, 09:18 PM

why dont you PM me this bullshit instead of being a complete douche bag? works both ways bud...

Your PM's don't work. Paco...you're a likeable guy when you wanna be. Lurker is right...try to post informative stuff and don't argue so much....especially with the main man in charge here. Talk some football and when someone says something you don't agree with...ignore it or reply with a mature argument. I don't want to see you kicked off again.

Pacopete4
02-09-2009, 09:22 PM

Your PM's don't work. Paco...you're a likeable guy when you wanna be. Lurker is right...try to post informative stuff and don't argue so much....especially with the main man in charge here. Talk some football and when someone says something you don't agree with...ignore it or reply with a mature argument. I don't want to see you kicked off again.

PM's back... I'm off suspension for sending everyone such horrible PM's I guess... has anyone on here even talked to me thru PM besides you? simply rediculous...

MadtownPacker
02-09-2009, 09:27 PM
Rarely did I ever use PM so not sure what ur talking about there. I threw out facts against channelman against his post, but since it's not what you wanna hear it's not putting towards the forum. Check the other 5 posts I had today and then be back to me about adding to the forum. This shit is such a joke sometimes ha my god.. oh a re read what I wrote.. I was saying I don't want someone to remind me about getting banned or deactivated as you wanna call it, everytime I post something..... Man I wish I was in the good ole boys club, wouldbe a lot easierI see, so telling Brando to "eat a dick" is all good fun right? How stupid of me to misunderstand that. Figured your first day back you would want to discuss football instead of rewinding the same tired shit. Now that was really stupid.

Not going to argue with you anymore so just consider this your final warning.

Pacopete4
02-09-2009, 09:29 PM
Rarely did I ever use PM so not sure what ur talking about there. I threw out facts against channelman against his post, but since it's not what you wanna hear it's not putting towards the forum. Check the other 5 posts I had today and then be back to me about adding to the forum. This shit is such a joke sometimes ha my god.. oh a re read what I wrote.. I was saying I don't want someone to remind me about getting banned or deactivated as you wanna call it, everytime I post something..... Man I wish I was in the good ole boys club, wouldbe a lot easierI see, so telling Brando to "eat a dick" is all good fun right? How stupid of me to misunderstand that. Figured your first day back you would want to discuss football instead of rewinding the same tired shit. Now that was really stupid.

Not going to argue with you anymore so just consider this your final warning.

soooo telling him sorry 2 posts below that in a matter of a minute means nothing? Hold everyone to the same standards, or dont have standards...

MadtownPacker
02-09-2009, 09:39 PM
Actually it does mean nothing at this point.

Do NOT respond to this message paco, restrain yourself for ONCE. Find another thread and discuss that subject. If not then you know what's up.

Pacopete4
02-09-2009, 09:44 PM
I believe Peter King is wrong, Brett Favre is playing!

channtheman
02-09-2009, 11:27 PM

No, u know what u were doing I don't wanna hear it. EVERYsingle player looks out for himself first.. Every stinking one of them. Just because Favre is Favre this all gets blown out of control because hey he is human too. Go bark up some other tree for awhile, the gut hurt you, we all get it.. Now let it be

Yeah I know that every player looks out for himself. Who wouldn't? Why don't you answer my question though? Has Favre ever said he wanted to make his decision as quickly as possible? Name one other NFL player who has talked about his retirement for the last 10 years of his career. Favre has talked about his retirement since Super Bowl XXXI. He could have said "No, I'm not retiring yet or for a while so don't ask" but he likes the attention and wants it to revolve around him.

Pugger
02-10-2009, 12:10 AM
Just for grins lets say the Jets give BF his unconditional release. (This wouldn't be the first time they cut a veteran QB outright who still had any value.) What do you guys really think the odds are that the queens would even want him? Would they want a 40 year old QB who is nursing a bum shoulder on his throwing arm and who is not all that fond of offseason conditioning? We all saw how his play deteriorated this past December. If the queens are looking for the QB that would get them over the hump would they want a QB who peters out at the end of the season? :?:

Pacopete4
02-10-2009, 12:33 AM
Just for grins lets say the Jets give BF his unconditional release. (This wouldn't be the first time they cut a veteran QB outright who still had any value.) What do you guys really think the odds are that the queens would even want him? Would they want a 40 year old QB who is nursing a bum shoulder on his throwing arm and who is not all that fond of offseason conditioning? We all saw how his play deteriorated this past December. If the queens are looking for the QB that would get them over the hump would they want a QB who peters out at the end of the season? :?:

I'm torn, cuz I'd love to see it happen to he could serve a lot of you up with a nice shit sandwich... but I also dont want to see it cuz I hate the Vikings, cant stand em...

so my best thing to have happen is he just stay on the Jets, and win there..

Lurker64
02-10-2009, 12:38 AM
I'm torn, cuz I'd love to see it happen to he could serve a lot of you up with a nice shit sandwich...

Now, say that the Jets release Favre, he signs with the Vikings and he just stinks up the Metrodome and gets benched for T.Jack. Would you be enjoying a sandwich of your own?

Pacopete4
02-10-2009, 12:40 AM
Yeah I know that every player looks out for himself. Who wouldn't? Why don't you answer my question though? Has Favre ever said he wanted to make his decision as quickly as possible? Name one other NFL player who has talked about his retirement for the last 10 years of his career. Favre has talked about his retirement since Super Bowl XXXI. He could have said "No, I'm not retiring yet or for a while so don't ask" but he likes the attention and wants it to revolve around him.

without doing any research, I really don't remember it being that much of an issue til close to Sherman's last few years when he was getting around 34-35yrs old... which is ancient when you've played every single game of your career

that being said I dont recall any player, other than Warner, talking about making a quick decision. Why does it have to be a quick one? Its HIS, HIS career... if he doesnt know if he wants to play in feb-april... why the fuck do you even care? I'm telling ya bro, if his name wasn't Brett Favre, this wouldnt even be an issue to you nor to most people, but because he one of the best and the face of the NFL still... its the biggest thing every offseason.

What would they do if they just, lets say... left him alone? Didn't make up reports or what they thinks going to happen every day? Just think how much easier this all woulda been? Just leave the guy alone and if he hasn't talked by the draft, then call the guy and ask if hes coming back.. how hard would that be. THERE IS AN OFFSEASON FOR A REASON!

Like I said, get over the fact that he hurt you and your fan hood for the guy and step yourself in his shoes, or at least try to.. then start typing about him again... until then, I'm done with losers who think they know anything about how people in the NFL should act just because they are fans... they are people too.. he and Warner and several others earned the right to make the decision to walk away on their own terms or stay if they choose... the packers chose to not want Brett.. well we went 6-10 in his first season missing.. we'll see how it plays out from here.. specially if brett feels he's healthy enough for another run at things..

Pacopete4
02-10-2009, 12:41 AM
I'm torn, cuz I'd love to see it happen to he could serve a lot of you up with a nice shit sandwich...

Now, say that the Jets release Favre, he signs with the Vikings and he just stinks up the Metrodome and gets benched for T.Jack. Would you be enjoying a sandwich of your own?

well other than the benching.. cuz that wouldnt happen. No I wouldnt enjoy Brett struggling anywhere. But I just cant see that happening.. hes just too good if hes on a good team. If he and Jenkins don't get hurt down the stretch last season, the Jets woulda made a run of their own at a SB.

Lurker64
02-10-2009, 12:46 AM
well other than the benching.. cuz that wouldnt happen. No I wouldnt enjoy Brett struggling anywhere. But I just cant see that happening.. hes just too good if hes on a good team. If he and Jenkins don't get hurt down the stretch last season, the Jets woulda made a run of their own at a SB.

There will come a time when Brett Favre can no longer play football at a high level. Whether that's 10 years from now, or next year, neither you nor I know. But he's definitely not getting better from here on out.

Pacopete4
02-10-2009, 12:50 AM

There will come a time when Brett Favre can no longer play football at a high level. Whether that's 10 years from now, or next year, neither you nor I know. But he's definitely not getting better from here on out.

couldnt agree more.. I'm just on the side of if that shoulder is ok, he's still got the ability to be a top 5-8 QB in this league over the course of a season and a top 3 QB on any given sunday.. that being said, he will always have those games where you say to yourself.. "what the fuck was that?" I just really think he's making a mistake if he retires now. Get it all outta his system, and hopefully whichever team hes on can make a run and he can end on a good note, super bowl or not.

Guiness
02-10-2009, 01:23 AM
All this talk of a poison pill - does anyone actually know the language in the contract?

Does it read "If traded to Minnesota" or "If traded to an NFC North team"?

What would be cool is if it said "If traded to Detroit, Green Bay has to give the Jets a draft pick". :lol: :lol:

Gunakor
02-10-2009, 01:24 AM
Why does it have to be a quick one? Its HIS, HIS career... if he doesnt know if he wants to play in feb-april...

Personnel moves start in March. What if, say, the Jets want Favre as their starter but would prefer to look at FA QB's to replace him should he decide to call it a career? FA starts in March. If they let all the good FA QB's go in March, and then come June Favre says he doesn't want to play anymore, that leaves little option for the Jets with all the serviceable FA QB's already having found new homes.

How about that 12+ million cap number? If he retires, that money becomes available to spend on other players during the FA spree. You'd hate to go through FA not having a whole lot of cap space to work with only to have 12 million drop off after all the good FA's at any position have been signed by other teams.

So to answer your question, why does it have to be a quick decision, it's because the team demands it. It's HIS, HIS, HIS career but it is not his team. If Favre says he'd like to stay, the team will have a reaction to his desire to stay - they'll free up cap space, they'll forgo QB's in FA and the draft, etc. If he decides to call it quits, the team will have a reaction to his decision to retire - they'll extend other players' current contracts, they'll look into FA or the draft for QB's, etc. Now, knowing that there will be a reaction either way, you as a GM want that decision to be made as quickly as possible so your reaction can be made as quickly as possible.

Fritz
02-10-2009, 07:04 AM
All this talk of a poison pill - does anyone actually know the language in the contract?

Does it read "If traded to Minnesota" or "If traded to an NFC North team"?

What would be cool is if it said "If traded to Detroit, Green Bay has to give the Jets a draft pick". :lol: :lol:

Just read about this the other day. If he were to be traded to an NFC north team before last season, it would've been two first rounders to the Pack from the Jets. If he's traded before this year's deadline, it's one first rounder.

But if the Jets cut him, it's a free for all.

And I do think the Vikings would have a hard time passing on Favre. It's a risk but the Vikes' two big guys are getting older, especially Pat, as is the o-line, and if Favre could play inside, maybe, perhaps, etc....plus how could they pass on the opportunity to feel like they're sticking it to the Pack? They feel like your lttle brother who always wants to eff you over if he can...

cpk1994
02-10-2009, 07:12 AM
Why does it have to be a quick one? Its HIS, HIS career... if he doesnt know if he wants to play in feb-april...

Personnel moves start in March. What if, say, the Jets want Favre as their starter but would prefer to look at FA QB's to replace him should he decide to call it a career? FA starts in March. If they let all the good FA QB's go in March, and then come June Favre says he doesn't want to play anymore, that leaves little option for the Jets with all the serviceable FA QB's already having found new homes.

How about that 12+ million cap number? If he retires, that money becomes available to spend on other players during the FA spree. You'd hate to go through FA not having a whole lot of cap space to work with only to have 12 million drop off after all the good FA's at any position have been signed by other teams.

So to answer your question, why does it have to be a quick decision, it's because the team demands it. It's HIS, HIS, HIS career but it is not his team. If Favre says he'd like to stay, the team will have a reaction to his desire to stay - they'll free up cap space, they'll forgo QB's in FA and the draft, etc. If he decides to call it quits, the team will have a reaction to his decision to retire - they'll extend other players' current contracts, they'll look into FA or the draft for QB's, etc. Now, knowing that there will be a reaction either way, you as a GM want that decision to be made as quickly as possible so your reaction can be made as quickly as possible.Nice analysis. This is exactly what the Packers went through last year. What Brett needs to realize this is when he makes his decision this time, either way, that he stick to it. That means either retire and shut up, or come back and give full participation in the Jets OTA. If he pulls the same stunts as he did last year, he will find out the hard way that the NY media will not kiss his butt like the Urinal-Garbage and the Piss-Gazette do. Also, BSPN probably will be not so quick to trash the Jets and make Favre out to be an innocent victim eitrher. Whenever he makes his decision, he needs to honor it.

Waldo
02-10-2009, 07:54 AM
He can't just sit around and take his merry time making up his mind. That would be fine if he was making Gus Frerotte money. But he is not, he is making Brett Favre money, and Brett Favre money is more than 10% of the salary cap. If he hasn't made up his mind, they are so far over the cap that they are going to have to cut 3-4 mid level starters or 2-3 stars to give him more time and be able to sign their rookies. To get that kind of space GB would have to cut Clifton, Driver and Harris, and GB's contracts are not largely bonus backed in the TT era, allowing more cap savings than usual when cutting guys. It is not easy to find more than 10M in cap space (most reports are that by salaries, bonuses, and LTBE incentives they are 10M over the cap, but there is a rumored large amount of NLTBE incentives that were earned in '08 that are about to hit their '09 cap, the number is rumored to be several million dollars, nobody but the Jets FO and the NFL FO knows how much it is). Scrubs and backups don't make enough money to find 10M+ in cap space by cutting them.

Imagine if they cut enough guys to give him more time, and he calls it quits. The owner would surely call it quits on the GM if that happens.

This would not be an issue at all if Brett made K. Collins/K. Warner money. When you get into the stratosphere of contracts that Brett is in, time is not a luxury that you are given.

KYPack
02-10-2009, 08:03 AM
He can't just sit around and take his merry time making up his mind. That would be fine if he was making Gus Frerotte money. But he is not, he is making Brett Favre money, and Brett Favre money is more than 10% of the salary cap. If he hasn't made up his mind, they are so far over the cap that they are going to have to cut 3-4 mid level starters or 2-3 stars to give him more time and be able to sign their rookies. To get that kind of space GB would have to cut Clifton, Driver and Harris, and GB's contracts are not largely bonus backed in the TT era, allowing more cap savings than usual when cutting guys. It is not easy to find more than 10M in cap space (most reports are that by salaries, bonuses, and LTBE incentives they are 10M over the cap, but there is a rumored large amount of NLTBE incentives that were earned in '08 that are about to hit their '09 cap, the number is rumored to be several million dollars, nobody but the Jets FO and the NFL FO knows how much it is). Scrubs and backups don't make enough money to find 10M+ in cap space by cutting them.

Imagine if they cut enough guys to give him more time, and he calls it quits. The owner would surely call it quits on the GM if that happens.

This would not be an issue at all if Brett made K. Collins/K. Warner money. When you get into the stratosphere of contracts that Brett is in, time is not a luxury that you are given.

You got it, Waldo.

I've never seen an NFL franchise as painted into a corner with their cap situation as the Jets are right now.

If Tannenbaum makes it out of this season with his job, he's a miracle worker.

Waldo
02-10-2009, 08:27 AM

You got it, Waldo.

I've never seen an NFL franchise as painted into a corner with their cap situation as the Jets are right now.

If Tannenbaum makes it out of this season with his job, he's a miracle worker.

How he kept his job this offseason is the real miracle.

cpk1994
02-10-2009, 08:29 AM

This would not be an issue at all if Brett made K. Collins/K. Warner money. When you get into the stratosphere of contracts that Brett is in, time is not a luxury that you are given.Spot on. I really like your style.

Pacopete4
02-10-2009, 01:15 PM

so again we're holding Brett Favre to different standards than the other QB's in the league? If that's true, why doesn't he get a say in who he plays with and who they draft and who they sign? If he is held to standards like that and the other QB's can do whatever the hell they want to and thats fine with people like you, then why shouldn't he get some perks?

again, see it from his perspective and you might see a different story..

Waldo
02-10-2009, 01:37 PM

so again we're holding Brett Favre to different standards than the other QB's in the league? If that's true, why doesn't he get a say in who he plays with and who they draft and who they sign? If he is held to standards like that and the other QB's can do whatever the hell they want to and thats fine with people like you, then why shouldn't he get some perks?

He is held to the standard of people paid as much as he is. Brett is not a journeyman QB by pay and should not expect to be treated like one. One of the perks of being a journeyman is that you don't cripple the team financially when it takes you a while to make up your mind. When you have a firm grasp of the gonads of the finances of a team, you are expected to act in a professional manner, which includes making up decisions about your future in a timely manner so that a team can make decisions in a timely manner about its finances before league wide due dates. The perks of Brett's situation is his incredibly fat bank account.

If Brett is willing to give the Jets the first round pick that they would lose for being 10M over the cap on Feb 27th, he would be free to go about his business and decide on his own timeline. Being that they are going to have to cut a significant # of starters (those guys that would help him win, if he cares about that at all) so they don't lose that pick while letting him take his sweet time, it would behoove him to act in a timely manner.

The NFL has rules that teams have to follow, in order to follow those rules important players (one that make enough $$ to be important) have to follow those rules too. It may seem unfair that Brett has to make up his mind by a certain date, but how fair is it to a guy like Coles that will be cut from the team he has played for for most of his career, just so Brett can take his sweet time.

Gunakor
02-11-2009, 12:51 AM

Brett gets held to a higher standard because of his 12 million dollar cap number. While Brett waits and waits to make a decision the team is saddled with 12 million dollars of "dead money". It only becomes live money after Favre makes a decision. Either he comes back and they pay it to him, or he retires and they pay it to someone else. But until he decides, that's 10% of your total team salary that you aren't getting anything for but can't spend anyway. So he has to be held to a higher standard, if only because of his tremendous salary.

cpk1994
02-11-2009, 03:48 AM

Brett gets held to a higher standard because of his 12 million dollar cap number. While Brett waits and waits to make a decision the team is saddled with 12 million dollars of "dead money". It only becomes live money after Favre makes a decision. Either he comes back and they pay it to him, or he retires and they pay it to someone else. But until he decides, that's 10% of your total team salary that you aren't getting anything for but can't spend anyway. So he has to be held to a higher standard, if only because of his tremendous salary.But the most important reason to add to this is that currently the Jets are OVER THE CAP. That means the Jets are in big trouble as long as Favre sits there twiddling his thimbs. Sure they can cut some players to get under the cap but what happens if they do that then Brett retires? They are out players that they could have kept if Favre had made his decision first.

MOBB DEEP
02-11-2009, 07:24 PM

So was I. Twice. Then I gave up. Being at the last game of his career every single year gets expensive.

lol