PDA

View Full Version : Raiders' Pro Bowl Punter

Brando19
02-06-2009, 07:27 PM
Looks like there's a chance he'll leave Oakland. He's a hell of a punter, right there with the Chargers' Punter. Judging by this story I found...he may be scared out of town. From http://msn.foxsports.com/rumors/nfl

Franchise-tag season opened Thursday and the Raiders must choose between locking in Pro Bowl punter Shane Lechler or Pro Bowl cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha. If they don't tag Lechler, and it appears they won't, it could be very difficult to re-sign him - especially in light of a face-bruising assault near the end of last season. Lechler was punched in the face by teammate Terdell Sands during an argument on the team flight home from Denver on Nov. 23, according to five sources - two former assistant coaches, a front-office member, a team administrator and an AFC head coach from outside the organization. Sands was neither suspended nor fined by the team, according to multiple sources familiar with the situation. Consider this all the more reason for Lechler to leave Oakland if he becomes an unrestricted free agent, two of those sources said on the condition of anonymity. As it was, Lechler has complained openly about the climate of the past six losing seasons and declined to say he wanted to come back. Taking a haymaker from a 350-pound defensive tackle certainly did not help. -- SF Chronicle

PaCkFan_n_MD
02-06-2009, 08:27 PM
I'd rather have Asomugha.

Lurker64
02-06-2009, 08:45 PM

The punter can be had for less than 10% of what Asomugha will cost, though.

PaCkFan_n_MD
02-06-2009, 08:53 PM
well sure, but he plays his position better than anyone in the league IMO.

Brando19
02-06-2009, 08:54 PM

And since we're starting from scratch with a brand new defense this season, it'd be nice to have the best possible starting field position for our D.

Brando19
02-06-2009, 08:55 PM

He's good, but I believe Charles Woodson would argue that.

PaCkFan_n_MD
02-06-2009, 09:08 PM

Asomugha is way better than Woodson without question. Asomugha might just have had one of the best seasons ever for a corner. Don't tell me Woodson had 7 picks..................

Partial
02-06-2009, 09:35 PM

Are you telling me Asomugha is going to get 20 mil per year?

Brando19
02-06-2009, 09:37 PM

Asomugha is way better than Woodson without question. Asomugha might just have had one of the best seasons ever for a corner. Don't tell me Woodson had 7 picks..................

Woodson had 7 picks.

KYPack
02-07-2009, 09:10 AM
Some observers are saying that Asomugha had the best season by a CB ever. I saw some statistics that said he had 9 passes completed on him ALL season. Two of those catches were by Tony Gonzales.

Bretsky
02-07-2009, 09:12 AM
no way do the Raiders let this guy go; he's one of the best football players in the NFL

The Punter will be available if he doesn't want to stay in OAK

KYPack
02-07-2009, 09:20 AM
no way do the Raiders let this guy go; he's one of the best football players in the NFL

Best punter in the league. Check out the #'s, SD's punt had a very poor regular season, then punted for the ages in the play-offs.

Lechler is very concerned about his personal stats. I think he'll go to a domed team or Denver if he can. GB in Nov - Dec doesn't make you look good on the 'ol stat sheet.

Bretsky
02-07-2009, 09:46 AM

Best punter in the league. Check out the #'s, SD's punt had a very poor regular season, then punted for the ages in the play-offs.

Lechler is very concerned about his personal stats. I think he'll go to a domed team or Denver if he can. GB in Nov - Dec doesn't make you look good on the 'ol stat sheet.

It will be an interesting offseason; I'm not convinced many will choose to come to GB if the money is even. And TT does not like to overpay.

PaCkFan_n_MD
02-07-2009, 09:50 AM
Some observers are saying that Asomugha had the best season by a CB ever. I saw some statistics that said he had 9 passes completed on him ALL season. Two of those catches were by Tony Gonzales.

Thats what am saying. This guy is crazy good. Just saying Woodson had 7 picks shows you know nothing about this guy (not talking about you).

DonHutson
02-07-2009, 10:29 AM
Has anybody ever franchised a punter? I know he's good and all, but that seems weird. Then again, it is the Raiders.

Patler
02-07-2009, 10:29 AM
Lechler was punched in the face by teammate Terdell Sands during an argument on the team flight home from Denver on Nov. 23

Terdell Sands - a former Green Bay Packer.

KYPack
02-07-2009, 10:47 AM
Has anybody ever franchised a punter? I know he's good and all, but that seems weird. Then again, it is the Raiders.

The Pats tagged Vinatieri twice, but I couldn't think of a punter that has got the tag. Shermie was proably close to tagging BJ Sander in the face with a bag of manure.

Lechler is as good as gone. The Raiders signed free agent punter Ricky Schmitt in December. Don't think it was for depth.

retailguy
02-07-2009, 12:14 PM

Yeah, that's the unfortunate part, I actually think that ole' Ted would pony up enough money, but still won't have a shot because punters can't lead the league and earn their next contract by punting here. Remember Josh Bidwell?

That's why he left. Statistics.

Lurker64
02-07-2009, 12:31 PM
Yeah, that's the unfortunate part, I actually think that ole' Ted would pony up enough money, but still won't have a shot because punters can't lead the league and earn their next contract by punting here. Remember Josh Bidwell?

That's why he left. Statistics.

Yeah, northern teams who play outdoors in bad weather frequently generally have to significantly overpay to get good free agent kickers and punters there. You can develop your own guys and keep them around, but if two contracts are comparable, the Ks and Ps always take the cushier job that will pad their stats more.

If we're going to get a great punter, we're probably going to have to draft one, as sad as that is.

Farley Face
02-07-2009, 12:50 PM
Looks like there's a chance he'll leave Oakland. He's a hell of a punter, right there with the Chargers' Punter. Judging by this story I found...he may be scared out of town. From http://msn.foxsports.com/rumors/nfl

Franchise-tag season opened Thursday and the Raiders must choose between locking in Pro Bowl punter Shane Lechler or Pro Bowl cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha. If they don't tag Lechler, and it appears they won't, it could be very difficult to re-sign him - especially in light of a face-bruising assault near the end of last season. Lechler was punched in the face by teammate Terdell Sands during an argument on the team flight home from Denver on Nov. 23, according to five sources - two former assistant coaches, a front-office member, a team administrator and an AFC head coach from outside the organization. Sands was neither suspended nor fined by the team, according to multiple sources familiar with the situation. Consider this all the more reason for Lechler to leave Oakland if he becomes an unrestricted free agent, two of those sources said on the condition of anonymity. As it was, Lechler has complained openly about the climate of the past six losing seasons and declined to say he wanted to come back. Taking a haymaker from a 350-pound defensive tackle certainly did not help. -- SF Chronicle
http://www.packerrats.com/ratchat/viewtopic.php?p=380738&highlight=#380738

rbaloha1
02-07-2009, 07:23 PM
Punting is a big weakness for the Packers. Sign this dude -- proven commodity.

Recall Ron Wolf regretted letting Craig Heinrich escape.

The Shadow
02-07-2009, 08:09 PM
Sign him, ignore him, whatever,
Just move this thread up.

The Shadow
02-07-2009, 10:03 PM
Sign him, ignore him, whatever,
Just move this thread up.

ditto

Brando19
02-09-2009, 09:04 PM
Just read that the Falcons franchised their punter. That's a situation the Packers haven't had in a while...deciding whether to franchise a punter.

Pacopete4
02-09-2009, 09:16 PM

yep.. and with the new D we are installing, a great punter might help this D out more than one could think of

rbaloha1
02-09-2009, 10:54 PM

yep.. and with the new D we are installing, a great punter might help this D out more than one could think of

Ditto

Fritz
02-10-2009, 03:56 PM
Punters are underestimated, in my opinion. I have said this before.

However, I do not like the fact that many, like Bidwell, seem mostly worried about stats. Sure, other position players can do that too, but Bidwell seemed pretty open about his desire to punt in a warmer climate.

But if we dangled enough money out there...wouldn't it be funny if this was TT's big FA signing?

Pacopete4
02-10-2009, 04:06 PM
[/quote]But if we dangled enough money out there...wouldn't it be funny if this was TT's big FA signing?[/quote]

No it wouldn't be funny unless ur talking about like funny haha I wanna strangle u kinda funny

Patler
02-10-2009, 04:09 PM
However, I do not like the fact that many, like Bidwell, seem mostly worried about stats. Sure, other position players can do that too, but Bidwell seemed pretty open about his desire to punt in a warmer climate.

Kind of understandable for a guy like Bidwell, who was on his rookie contract. For a punter to get the big contract he wants at some point in his career, he has to put up top-of-the-league type stats. It is hard for a punter to do that in a place like Green Bay.

Fritz
02-10-2009, 04:09 PM
PP, if the guy came in and had a pro-bowl year, and TT locked up a bunch of our own players like Jennings, Collins, et al, would you really be that mad?

Pacopete4
02-10-2009, 04:23 PM
PP, if the guy came in and had a pro-bowl year, and TT locked up a bunch of our own players like Jennings, Collins, et al, would you really be that mad?

If our record 10-6 or higher, I'll be happy.. I'm not a fan who will back any loser GM and so far that's what he is whether u like it or not.. I do not care how he gets it done bit obviously his drafting is not as top notch as some thnk it is.. Or we wouldn't be 31-33 or whatever his record is as GM

Fritz
02-10-2009, 04:28 PM

If our record 10-6 or higher, I'll be happy.. I'm not a fan who will back any loser GM and so far that's what he is whether u like it or not.. I do not care how he gets it done bit obviously his drafting is not as top notch as some thnk it is.. Or we wouldn't be 31-33 or whatever his record is as GM

So PP, can we quote you on that? "If our record is 10-6 or higher, I'll be happy."

Do I take that to mean you were ecstatic in 2007?

The Shadow
02-14-2009, 10:51 AM
whatever.

The Leaper
02-14-2009, 06:50 PM

Huh? I'm guessing most humans try to find a job where they can maximize their opportunity and paycheck. Why should a punter be any different?

Face it...Green Bay is NOT an attractive location for a kicker. Luring FAs to play in Green Bay would mean top $$$.

Bretsky
02-14-2009, 09:08 PM
I'm perfectly fine with overpaying a punter; their salary puts a small dent in our cap and we have plenty of money anyways

People underestimate how valuable a top tier punter is

SnakeLH2006
02-15-2009, 01:22 AM
Lechler was punched in the face by teammate Terdell Sands during an argument on the team flight home from Denver on Nov. 23

I remember that dude. Practice squad and all. He dug out a career regardless as huge men will get paid. And if I remember right, He's HUGENORMOUS! Like 6'7" 350. No way would I fuck with that guy..and Snake likes to box too. Just saying...

KYPack
02-15-2009, 09:01 AM

I remember that dude. Practice squad and all. He dug out a career regardless as huge men will get paid. And if I remember right, He's HUGENORMOUS! Like 6'7" 350. No way would I fuck with that guy..and Snake likes to box too. Just saying...

He was big and quick. Had no clue how to play in the NFL. They keep guys like that around in case they learn.

Chis Johnson is another case in point. He was blurry fast with no clue how to play corner. He got kept making rosters and bingo, he learned how to play. He beat DeAngelo Hall out of a job last season.

The Shadow
02-15-2009, 04:57 PM
What's the latest on the punter? :D

BallHawk
02-15-2009, 05:45 PM
No love for the Greek?

cpk1994
02-15-2009, 05:58 PM
No love for the Greek?What does Jimmy Snyder have to do with punters? :lol:

MJZiggy
02-15-2009, 07:31 PM
No love for the Greek?

I'd keep him, but the throngs are getting restless.