PDA

View Full Version : The Raiders are expected to cut S Michael Huff this offseaso

packers11
02-06-2009, 10:34 PM
The Raiders are expected to cut S Michael Huff this offseason.

Huff has been a disaster since being selected No. 7 overall in 2006. Not only has he tackled poorly, he's also been consistently beaten in coverage for the past two seasons. Rashad Baker is likely to be brought back as Hiram Eugene's backup.

Source: Sacramento Bee

Guiness
02-06-2009, 10:52 PM
If so, he'll catch on somewhere - I would think there's a lot of feeling around the league that playing in Oakland drags you down. He's still young, and a new environment could make a hell of a difference.

packers11
02-06-2009, 10:53 PM
I remember some posters here were mad that we didn't take huff with the #5...

Like I said then, as i'll still say now... Hawk is the safer/better pick...

I think Hawk will thrive in the 3-4... Just watch :)

Lurker64
02-06-2009, 10:57 PM

Was that anybody other than Tank?

Has Tank ever been right about anything?

Bretsky
02-06-2009, 11:07 PM

Yup, I think Tank was the only one

He did like Logan Mankins

packers11
02-06-2009, 11:13 PM

I wasn't calling any poster out by names :lol: :wink:

Partial
02-07-2009, 02:00 AM
Bring him in. Guy has obvious physical talents.

cpk1994
02-07-2009, 06:13 AM
If so, he'll catch on somewhere - I would think there's a lot of feeling around the league that playing in Oakland drags you down. He's still young, and a new environment could make a hell of a difference.So ture. Just ask Charles Woodson.

Waldo
02-07-2009, 07:38 AM
Somethimes new coaching can do wonders for a guy. :wink:

PaCkFan_n_MD
02-07-2009, 10:03 AM
He's not going to cost anything, we might as well bring him in. Let him, Rouse, and Bigby battle it out.

Waldo
02-07-2009, 10:11 AM
He's not going to cost anything, we might as well bring him in. Let him, Rouse, and Bigby battle it out.

There are 30 other teams thinking the same thing. Leaving us with about a 3.5% chance of landing him. Some rebuilding team is going to offer him a starting spot and starting pay (~2M), leaving us a 0% shot of getting him.

KYPack
02-07-2009, 10:25 AM

There are 30 other teams thinking the same thing. Leaving us with about a 3.5% chance of landing him. Some rebuilding team is going to offer him a starting spot and starting pay (~2M), leaving us a 0% shot of getting him.

Right, a lot of teams will make feelers for the guy, but a starting gig?

I dunno about that.

He'd get "extra DB" money, cause that's what he is now. I'm sure a team with no safties would give him a shot (Bengals?), but anybody with even a mediocre S isn't gonna give him a starting job.

For us, he'd compete with Peprah, but not Rouse or Bigby (if Bigby is right after surgery). I don't think he'd sign on with us for Peprah money.

I was amazed when I saw Huff play in a game. Tank was on the forum then & had been shooting off his mouth (surprise) about Huff. Tank was all ate up about how TT should have drafted Huff instead of Hawk. I was shocked at how tentative and lost Huff looked. Another rook who can't play at NFL speed.

Waldo
02-07-2009, 11:07 AM

I dunno about that.

He'd get "extra DB" money, cause that's what he is now. I'm sure a team with no safties would give him a shot (Bengals?), but anybody with even a mediocre S isn't gonna give him a starting job.

For us, he'd compete with Peprah, but not Rouse or Bigby (if Bigby is right after surgery). I don't think he'd sign on with us for Peprah money.

I was amazed when I saw Huff play in a game. Tank was on the forum then & had been shooting off his mouth (surprise) about Huff. Tank was all ate up about how TT should have drafted Huff instead of Hawk. I was shocked at how tentative and lost Huff looked. Another rook who can't play at NFL speed.

What about Det? Their secondary is terrible. He's better than what they've got.

BallHawk
02-07-2009, 11:48 AM

While we're at, why not just bring back Mike Hawkins for a try?

Partial
02-07-2009, 12:12 PM

That would be JustinHarrell, not the Parsh man

PaCkFan_n_MD
02-07-2009, 12:53 PM

I dunno about that.

Bigby looked really slow last season when he was healthy. I don't think you can count on him be the starter this year. I have been saying for a while that the guy I want to bring in is Sean Jones. So really when it comes down to it I really don't care for Huff. I still think Jones and Collins would give us a great saftey pair for the next 5-7 years and at a decent price.

Lurker64
02-07-2009, 12:56 PM

That would be JustinHarrell, not the Parsh man

You can't argue, however, that Mike Hawkins has obvious physical talents. He doesn't have a clue how to play football at the NFL (or AFL) level, but he's got impressive physical talents. The difference between Hawkins and Huff is, of course, that Huff produced in college (admittedly while surrounded by talent in an uncomplicated scheme without consistently playing one position) while Hawkins did not. But neither has really given us any evidence of their ability to play in the NFL, despite their obvious physical talents. I think Huff is a good lesson to point out that "guys can get by, and even excel, on physical talent alone in college but those guys can't always make the transition."

I believe picks like Hawkins are what prompted Thompson to inform his staff to, periodically on draft day, whisper into his ear "draft football players".

KYPack
02-07-2009, 05:14 PM

I dunno about that.

Yeah, yer right there, for sure.

Detroit, Cincy may give him a look. Denver's bunch ain't exactly a bunch of All-Pro's either. Somebody will. GB? We've got guys that good. Huff looked like a lost puppy when I saw him on the field. It takes a long time for some guys to catch on to the big game, maybe huff will get it someplace.

I can't see a team giving him a shot to start and giving him starter money.

Waldo
02-07-2009, 05:53 PM

I dunno about that.

Yeah, yer right there, for sure.

Detroit, Cincy may give him a look. Denver's bunch ain't exactly a bunch of All-Pro's either. Somebody will. GB? We've got guys that good. Huff looked like a lost puppy when I saw him on the field. It takes a long time for some guys to catch on to the big game, maybe huff will get it someplace.

I can't see a team giving him a shot to start and giving him starter money.

By "starter money" I'm not talking about 3-5M, solid starter money, more along the lines of 1.5-2M, very low end starter money. But it is still above the <1M I'd expect to pay a backup or a "take a look" guy.

Guiness
02-07-2009, 06:50 PM
By "starter money" I'm not talking about 3-5M, solid starter money, more along the lines of 1.5-2M, very low end starter money. But it is still above the <1M I'd expect to pay a backup or a "take a look" guy.

This most interesting part of whatever contract he gets would be the signing bonus.

Here's something I could see happening: someone floating him $2.5mil, but a tiny signing bonus - if he doesn't look the part, he's a TC casulty, and someone picks him up for the minimum.

KYPack
02-07-2009, 08:50 PM
Bigby looked really slow last season when he was healthy. I don't think you can count on him be the starter this year. I have been saying for a while that the guy I want to bring in is Sean Jones. So really when it comes down to it I really don't care for Huff. I still think Jones and Collins would give us a great saftey pair for the next 5-7 years and at a decent price.

Bigby had ankle surgery. It a real gamble when a guy with marginal speed gets knifed.

I really like Sean Jones myself. Big, fast, smart and a real boomer. Guy always has 4-5 picks a year, too. He's a traffic cop back there. He's real assertive about getting 'em lined up. He'd get big starting money, so he'd be our only FA. He had a couple different leg miseries last season, too. That can be an indicator of a slump in a big safety like him.

I think he'd work real well with Nick, they'd compliment each other nicely.

Zool
02-07-2009, 09:42 PM
Somethimes new coaching can do wonders for a guy. :wink:

Funny that no one else caught this.