PDA

View Full Version : Senior Bowl breakdown from JS blog -- Very Interesting

rbaloha1
02-09-2009, 12:28 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/packers.html

Your comments Packers Nation.

rbaloha1
02-09-2009, 12:42 PM
Its interesting the number of USC defensive players projected to be good fits in the 3-4.

Good second round picks if available. Comments on Raji are interesting. Nonetheless a good pick at #9.

Partial
02-09-2009, 01:09 PM
"Comment: A real no-brainer here but I am much more unsure of him after watching him play in the actual game (he really stunk it up). Where was the guy that was unblockable all week against the likes of Mack, Unger, Wood and Kraig Urbik? There are also a few character flags with him as well, but I met and talked with him a few times during the week and he seemed bright to me. He's got great quickness. Raji's around the same size (6-2, 334) as the Pats' Vince Wilfork (the protypical 3-4 nose) but Wilfork is a much better athlete -- he could dunk in high school and college. Still leaning towards Raji as a better 4-3 three-technique. A lot of scouts will have that debate up until draft day."

Practices like Tarzan plays like Jane? This guy has had one good year, and has shown that he is both lazy, and dumb as a box of rocks. No thanks. Want him about as much as I want Everette Brown.. Would take him on day two if available. Would rather let another team make this mistake.

pack4to84
02-09-2009, 01:30 PM
Raji was double team just about every play. The plays he was not doubled. He penetrated, but the offense play was designed for him to take himself out of the play. In a 3-4 defense the NT job is to require double team.

Waldo
02-09-2009, 01:44 PM
Raji was double team just about every play. The plays he was not doubled. He penetrated, but the offense play was designed for him to take himself out of the play. In a 3-4 defense the NT job is to require double team.

Welcome to the NFL. When you become too good at something, teams devise things that use that good play to your disadvantage. Aggressive LB's that overpursue, DT's that penetrate excessively, works great in college, and gives up big plays in the pros.

When the 3-4 NT can take 2 OL blockers, not give up ground, and not let either by, they are doing a good job. When the NT requires two OL to pass block him, he is playing elite. That means that if both OLB's blitz, one will be isolated against a TE or RB. NT is a thankless job, but if we got Raji and he was a good enough rusher that the C needed help against him, Kamp or the other OLB (Thompson, English, Peppers?) will be blocked by just a TE or RB.

Lurker64
02-09-2009, 01:56 PM
I think his comments on Maualuga are spot on.

Waldo
02-09-2009, 01:57 PM

2 down linebacker.

Great college player, fairly useless in the pros.

SkinBasket
02-09-2009, 02:57 PM

2 down linebacker.

You guys are crazy. I'm sure Maualuga will revolutionize the way LB is played while covering punts and kicks for several seasons at least.

3irty1
02-09-2009, 03:55 PM
I'm interested to hear more about Fili Moala.

oregonpackfan
02-09-2009, 03:57 PM
I have watched RB Jeremiah Johnson play for the Oregon Ducks the past two seasons. His strength is catching a screen pass and running in the open field. He is a very elusive RB and has great use of the stiff arm.

I agree with Bedard he is more of a third down back in the NFL.

Partial
02-09-2009, 04:05 PM

2 down linebacker.

Remember that guy from Miami that had similiar questions about him, as well as comparable athleticism, stature, hitting ability, etc, that fell to the bottom of round one?

Yeah, Maualuga is Rey Lewis version 2.0.

rbaloha1
02-09-2009, 04:25 PM

IMO a great pick in round 2. Possesses the physical skills and bloodlines (related to Ngata) to be a good player in the 3-4.

Originally thought Moala was a nt. The report mentioned him as a de. Imagine a line of Moala, Raji and Harrell.

Unfortunately Moala did not "bring it" on every play at USC. However if a Packer the coaching staff imo motivates Moala to be consistent.

Pacopete4
02-09-2009, 04:29 PM
Yeah, Maualuga is Ray Lewis version 2.0.

come on, I hate it when people do this. Ray Lewis is an amazing football player and leader that we do not see very often. They do it every draft with Elway and Favre as well... oh this guy is just like em or blah blah blah... those type of guys dont happen very often and its disrespectful to ray lewis to even say this type of stuff...

rbaloha1
02-09-2009, 04:30 PM

2 down linebacker.

Remember that guy from Miami that had similiar questions about him, as well as comparable athleticism, stature, hitting ability, etc, that fell to the bottom of round one?

Maualuga is a good player but not worthy of a #9 pick. May not reach Ray Lewis level but should be better than Hawk. Reminds me more of Seau though. But probably does not reach this level.

3irty1
02-09-2009, 04:50 PM

IMO a great pick in round 2. Possesses the physical skills and bloodlines (related to Ngata) to be a good player in the 3-4.

Originally thought Moala was a nt. The report mentioned him as a de. Imagine a line of Moala, Raji and Harrell.

Unfortunately Moala did not "bring it" on every play at USC. However if a Packer the coaching staff imo motivates Moala to be consistent.

At the moment it looks like he'd be a bit of a reach in the 2nd for us, but there's a good chance he could be there in the 3rd. Of course all of this means nothing and could be totally different in a month.

sheepshead
02-09-2009, 05:02 PM

2 down linebacker.

Maualuga is a good player but not worthy of a #9 pick. May not reach Ray Lewis level but should be better than Hawk. Reminds me more of Seau though. But probably does not reach this level.

Okay, wait. Have you really watched that much USC football? Where do you live? Even if I have watched that much USC Football, I doubt I would be able to or want to zero in on a line backer. Especially when you watch it on TV. If the other teams in the gun-you cant even see the linebackers. Also, is Ray Lewis better than Junior Seau in your opinion? How so?

3irty1
02-09-2009, 05:12 PM
I could see Maualuga falling pretty far like Dan Connor did last year. Doesn't mean they won't both be players.

KYPack
02-09-2009, 06:26 PM

Welcome to the NFL. When you become too good at something, teams devise things that use that good play to your disadvantage. Aggressive LB's that overpursue, DT's that penetrate excessively, works great in college, and gives up big plays in the pros.

When the 3-4 NT can take 2 OL blockers, not give up ground, and not let either by, they are doing a good job. When the NT requires two OL to pass block him, he is playing elite. That means that if both OLB's blitz, one will be isolated against a TE or RB. NT is a thankless job, but if we got Raji and he was a good enough rusher that the C needed help against him, Kamp or the other OLB (Thompson, English, Peppers?) will be blocked by just a TE or RB.

This is 100% correct.

The best rookie DL I've seen in the last few years is Haloti Ngata. It was obvious that he was gonna be a big thing in the NFL in his first season. But, he didn't have that great an impact for the Ravens that year. Sedrick Ellis is the same deal. Good rookie year, but did he propel the Saints to the Super Bowl?

We will be lucky if our #1 pick is a DL that can play, let alone make a difference.

3irty1
02-09-2009, 07:23 PM

This is 100% correct.

The best rookie DL I've seen in the last few years is Haloti Ngata. It was obvious that he was gonna be a big thing in the NFL in his first season. But, he didn't have that great an impact for the Ravens that year. Sedrick Ellis is the same deal. Good rookie year, but did he propel the Saints to the Super Bowl?

We will be lucky if our #1 pick is a DL that can play, let alone make a difference.

That's what intrigues me about Bedard's comments on Fili Moala. Obviously related to the best rookie DL you've seen in the last few years but he also suggests that he could fill an need at defensive end while being groomed for nose tackle.

rbaloha1
02-09-2009, 07:29 PM

2 down linebacker.

Okay, wait. Have you really watched that much USC football? Where do you live? Even if I have watched that much USC Football, I doubt I would be able to or want to zero in on a line backer. Especially when you watch it on TV. If the other teams in the gun-you cant even see the linebackers. Also, is Ray Lewis better than Junior Seau in your opinion? How so?

Residing in Hawaii every USC game is on tv in Hawaii. Not saying Seau is better than Lewis. Mauluaga style of play is similar to Seau.

Not saying he is another Seau. Teh Problem with watching USC's defense is the talent level is so high that numerous players are swarming making plays -- Pete Carrol style of defense.

Lurker64
02-09-2009, 08:02 PM

The thing about Maualuga that makes you worry that didn't make you worry about Lewis is that Maualuga made the same mistakes as a senior that he did as a freshman. He didn't really get noticeably better in four years in probably the best coaching program in all of college football. Who's to think that any NFL team is capable of overcoming the glaring weaknesses in his game.

Regardless of whether or not he's going to be a bust or not, the fact of the matter is that he's much better suited to a 4-3 mike than he is to a 3-4 (Fairbanks-Bullough) ILB, and he's much more suited to a (Fairbanks-Bullough) ILB than he is to a (Capers-LeBeau) ILB.

rbaloha1
02-09-2009, 08:18 PM

The thing about Maualuga that makes you worry that didn't make you worry about Lewis is that Maualuga made the same mistakes as a senior that he did as a freshman. He didn't really get noticeably better in four years in probably the best coaching program in all of college football. Who's to think that any NFL team is capable of overcoming the glaring weaknesses in his game.

Regardless of whether or not he's going to be a bust or not, the fact of the matter is that he's much better suited to a 4-3 mike than he is to a 3-4 (Fairbanks-Bullough) ILB, and he's much more suited to a (Fairbanks-Bullough) ILB than he is to a (Capers-LeBeau) ILB.

Linebackers Coach Ken Norton has actually improved the previously undisciplined RM.

RM is less aggressive in play action fakes and less likely to overrun plays. Gap integrity has improved tremendously during junior and senior years.

In fact RM also improved his play against the pass. Recall the interception touchdown against Ohio State. The hitting remains intense and fiery and nasty attitude is a huge plus.

RM may slip after the combine due to test results measured against peers and lack of a ripped athletic body like teammate Cushing.

With that said, RM can still be a good NFL player and worthy of the Packers second round pick. Should RM start to slip late in the first round TT should consider a tradeup with the second round pick.

Lurker64
02-09-2009, 08:51 PM
Oh, as down as I am on Maualuga, I would consider taking him in the second round if there's not a guy who better fits a need (Ron Brace, Clint Sintim, Larry English, etc.) available. He's just in now conceivable way a good pick by the Packers in the first round.

Joemailman
02-09-2009, 08:57 PM
I have watched RB Jeremiah Johnson play for the Oregon Ducks the past two seasons. His strength is catching a screen pass and running in the open field. He is a very elusive RB and has great use of the stiff arm.

Yeah, but can he skin Grizz? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcsXC2xFis4

oregonpackfan
02-09-2009, 11:34 PM

Yeah, but can he skin Grizz? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcsXC2xFis4

Thanks for the memories, Joe. It's been a long time since I've seen that movie! :)