PDA

View Full Version : Milwaukee Journal's Jets page.

Patler
02-10-2009, 08:13 AM
The so-called Packers page in the Milwaukee Journal Sports section has now had a big picture of Brett Favre in a Jets uniform at the top of the page, and its two lead articles about Favre for four days. The last legitimate Packer article was posted on February 4.

I have no objection to the articles about Favre, I found both to be interesting. But how long do Packer fans have to wait for a Packer article? How long do we have to see a New York Jet as the lead to the Packers page?

They obviously spent a lot of time and effort researching information and contacting individuals to prepare the two Favre articles. You would think with half the effort they could generate an informative article about the new defense,about the transition that Kampman will be asked to make, about players who might be available in free agency who would fit nicely in a 3-4, about the upcoming draft, about the negotiations for a new CBA, about the Packers' plans now on hold for development around the stadium, about the value of the huge group of players with contracts expiring next year and what they will cost the Packers to keep them, etc., etc., etc.

Instead, we have to look at and read about a New York Jet, day after day after day.

If anyone from JSO reads this, how about a Packer article???????

cpk1994
02-10-2009, 08:27 AM
The so-called Packers page in the Milwaukee Journal Sports section has now had a big picture of Brett Favre in a Jets uniform at the top of the page, and its two lead articles about Favre for four days. The last legitimate Packer article was posted on February 4.

I have no objection to the articles about Favre, I found both to be interesting. But how long do Packer fans have to wait for a Packer article? How long do we have to see a New York Jet as the lead to the Packers page?

They obviously spent a lot of time and effort researching information and contacting individuals to prepare the two Favre articles. You would think with half the effort they could generate an informative article about the new defense,about the transition that Kampman will be asked to make, about players who might be available in free agency who would fit nicely in a 3-4, about the upcoming draft, about the negotiations for a new CBA, about the Packers' plans now on hold for development around the stadium, about the value of the huge group of players with contracts expiring next year and what they will cost the Packers to keep them, etc., etc., etc.

Instead, we have to look at and read about a New York Jet, day after day after day.

If anyone from JSO reads this, how about a Packer article???????You are suprided? You know who they sided with last off-season, don't you?

Zool
02-10-2009, 08:27 AM
This is, and has been since retirement D1, my only problem with this whole situation. I'm a Packer fan first and by a wide margin. I didn't want to read articles about Reggie as a Panther and I dont want to read articles about Brett as a Jet. Time to let him go and move on.

It's sorta like talking about your ex girlfriend on a daily basis with your new girlfriend. She doesnt want to hear how great your ex was, or how she's doing now. Let the past stay in the past.

Patler
02-10-2009, 08:30 AM
This is, and has been since retirement D1, my only problem with this whole situation. I'm a Packer fan first and by a wide margin. I didn't want to read articles about Reggie as a Panther and I dont want to read articles about Brett as a Jet. Time to let him go and move on.

It's sorta like talking about your ex girlfriend on a daily basis with your new girlfriend. She doesnt want to hear how great your ex was, or how she's doing now. Let the past stay in the past.

Exactly. At some point you have to move one. The J-S has not yet moved on.

Waldo
02-10-2009, 08:33 AM
...You are surprised? You know who they sided with last off-season, don't you?

They had to. I surely was not the only one that noticed the massive decrease in inside info during the '08 season, and a rise of "and unnamed NFC scout" that doesn't seem to know squat about the team.

The quality of their work depends on having good sources for inside info, lacking that how different are they than a message board or a blogger?

IMO it was a HUGE mistake on their part to treat Aaron the way they did. He seems to like the national media a lot more than the locals, I get the sense he pretty much despises them. I just hope that he finds his way to MM's favorite media source more often, the guys on Sirius (Aaron always give good interviews though when he is on, he just isn't a weekly regular like MM). MM gives GREAT interviews to them, and doesn't give the locals squat.

PaCkFan_n_MD
02-10-2009, 08:47 AM
Favre was basically GB for so many years so you knew this was going to happen. I'm sure there are a lot of people like you who don't like always reading about Favre, but I'm sure there are also an equal number of people who enjoy it or else they wouldn't keep writing it.

Harlan Huckleby
02-10-2009, 08:50 AM
Favre became a mega-celebrity with 2008 fiasco, like when Paris Hilton or Britney Spears act outrageously. Can't really compare FAvre to Reggie White.

sheepshead
02-10-2009, 08:54 AM
I often wonder how often those guys are even in Green Bay. I never got the impression Cliff Cristl was ever there. Tough to cover the pack if you arent at 1265.

Patler
02-10-2009, 08:56 AM
Favre was basically GB for so many years so you knew this was going to happen. I'm sure there are a lot of people like you who don't like always reading about Favre, but I'm sure there are also an equal number of people who enjoy it or else they wouldn't keep writing it.

I don't mind reading about Favre. I even said I thought the two articles were good. They actually put some effort into them, and it showed.

But...its a PACKER page. Why should the lead article and top photo be a Jet for four consecutive days? Write the Favre articles, post them, leave them there for however long articles are kept there, but follow the next day or so with a Packer article to lead off the PACKER page, dropping the Favre articles down the list.

And for gosh sakes, put the same effort into Packer related articles that obviously went into the Favre article.

KYPack
02-10-2009, 09:55 AM

They had to. I surely was not the only one that noticed the massive decrease in inside info during the '08 season, and a rise of "and unnamed NFC scout" that doesn't seem to know squat about the team.

The quality of their work depends on having good sources for inside info, lacking that how different are they than a message board or a blogger?

IMO it was a HUGE mistake on their part to treat Aaron the way they did. He seems to like the national media a lot more than the locals, I get the sense he pretty much despises them. I just hope that he finds his way to MM's favorite media source more often, the guys on Sirius (Aaron always give good interviews though when he is on, he just isn't a weekly regular like MM). MM gives GREAT interviews to them, and doesn't give the locals squat.

The locals are pretty bad.

Lori Nickel should NOT have that gig. That said, this Favre article is her best work since she got the job. Course, she's been working on the piece for a couple years, from the sound of it.

Many of the Packer coaches have ignored the local boys because they are so pathetic. Lombardi used to treat the locals like lepers and then take the NY writers to lunch and shit.

As far as the article staying up there forever, that's an old JSO trick, too.

Remember the Matt O'Dwyer article staying up there for a month?

Partial
02-10-2009, 10:02 AM
Their job is to sell papers. I'm sure they know what they're doing.

That said, I don't really want to read about BF and the Jets, but then again what hasn't been beaten to death in Packerland by now anyway?

Patler
02-10-2009, 10:39 AM
That said, I don't really want to read about BF and the Jets, but then again what hasn't been beaten to death in Packerland by now anyway?

Selling papers is one thing, managing their website is another. The Brett Favre picture and main articles do not run day after day after day in their newspaper. They were in one day, and gone thereafter. Yet on the Packer page of their website, that is what we are given everyday since Saturday, with nothing new.

The GBPG manages to find something new to post just about every day, even if it is just simple "notes" type posting. The JSO page hasn't posted a new article about the Packers for a week.

If they want traffic to their website, they should provide a reason to go there more than once per week.

cpk1994
02-10-2009, 11:55 AM

IMO it was a HUGE mistake on their part to treat Aaron the way they did. He seems to like the national media a lot more than the locals, I get the sense he pretty much despises them. I just hope that he finds his way to MM's favorite media source more often, the guys on Sirius (Aaron always give good interviews though when he is on, he just isn't a weekly regular like MM). MM gives GREAT interviews to them, and doesn't give the locals squat.I don't think they had to take a side. But they did and it was a huge mistake and it blew up in their face. And not just the way they treated Aaron either. It was also in the way they have treated M3 and TT. You can come out against a decision that those two make, but you don't trash them in the process. Now they are paying for their mistake.

Pacopete4
02-10-2009, 12:08 PM
they do it cuz whether u like it or not, people wanna read about him. The normal fan didn't know what a 3-4 d is... Nor do they care about Kampys new position

Lurker64
02-10-2009, 12:14 PM

Well, considering the state of the Newspaper business, I think one thing that newspapers really aren't very good at these days is "selling papers".

Joemailman
02-10-2009, 12:22 PM
they do it cuz whether u like it or not, people wanna read about him. The normal fan didn't know what a 3-4 d is... Nor do they care about Kampys new position

I'm not so sure. Outside of this forum at times, I haven't heard people talking about whether Favre will play this year. The people I've talked to do know what a 3-4 is, did know who Dom Capers was, and do wonder if Kampman can make the adjustment. Maybe the people I've talked to are die-hard fans and not typical of Packer fans overall. I wouldn't have thought that though.

Fritz
02-10-2009, 12:27 PM
If you judge by the recent postings on this site, PP, most fans are more interested in how the Pack will adjust to the 3-4 than they are about the Favre drama in NY/hattiesburg.

Write the Favre article, sure. But how about some serious insight into the 3-4? I've learned more on this board than I ever have from the JSO.

Lori Nickel, if she looks like she does in her picture, is hot, though.

Patler
02-10-2009, 12:28 PM

Let me make this perfectly clear again, because post after post implies that I do not think the article should be there, that I do not want to read them, that the JSO was wrong for posting them. Many of you seem to be missing (or ignoring) my point.

IT WAS A FINE REPORT. The articles were informative and interesting I am glad they posted them. I have absolutely no complaint about the articles being the lead articles last Saturday. But nothing new on the Packers, the NFL or other teams since then? Nothing to say? How long will Favre's picture and the articles be at the top of their PACKER page? Day after day I go to the site and see a picture of a New York Jet. I want Packer information in addition to general information about the NFL, other teams and prominent players, Packers or otherwise.

I'm not asking that the article be removed, just moved down as all articles eventually do. Does the most ardent Favre fan want to read the same article for four days in a row? I doubt it.

I found it interesting that they did a series of articles about the new coaches, posted in rapid succession, moving the others down quickly. The Favre picture and articles seem like they have been there forever.

Fritz
02-10-2009, 12:33 PM

Let me make this perfectly clear again, because post after post implies that I do not think the article should be there, that I do not want to read them, that the JSO was wrong for posting them. Many of you seem to be missing (or ignoring) my point.

IT WAS A FINE REPORT. The articles were informative and interesting I am glad they posted them. I have absolutely no complaint about the articles being the lead articles last Saturday. But nothing new on the Packers, the NFL or other teams since then? Nothing to say? How long will Favre's picture and the articles be at the top of their PACKER page? Day after day I go to the site and see a picture of a New York Jet. I want Packer information in addition to general information about the NFL, other teams and prominent players, Packers or otherwise.

I'm not asking that the article be removed, just moved down as all articles eventually do. Does the most ardent Favre fan want to read the same article for four days in a row? I doubt it.

I found it interesting that they did a series of articles about the new coaches, posted in rapid succession, moving the others down quickly. The Favre picture and articles seem like they have been there forever.

No, but he might want to print the picture and study it in the privacy of his bedroom...

cpk1994
02-10-2009, 12:34 PM

No, but he might want to print the picture and study it in the privacy of his bedroom...Hey, what Paco does in the privacy of his bedroom is his business, you perv! :lol:

Patler
02-10-2009, 12:35 PM
Does the most ardent Favre fan want to read the same article for four days in a row? I doubt it.

No, but he might want to print the picture and study it in the privacy of his bedroom...

:lol: :lol:

Joemailman
02-10-2009, 12:45 PM
It's not unusual for JSO to have the same Packer story up there for several days this time of year. What should they write about? They've covered the coaching change story. The draft is more than 2 months away. There aren't a lot of players in town to be interviewed. GBPG might strive to have new stories each day because their market is a bit different given that they are based in Green Bay instead of Milwaukee. Even they seem to be having a tough time coming up with stories of much interest right now though.

Patler
02-10-2009, 12:57 PM
It's not unusual for JSO to have the same Packer story up there for several days this time of year. What should they write about? They've covered the coaching change story. The draft is more than 2 months away. There aren't a lot of players in town to be interviewed. GBPG might strive to have new stories each day because their market is a bit different given that they are based in Green Bay instead of Milwaukee. Even they seem to be having a tough time coming up with stories of much interest right now though.

Do analytic stories that don't require access to players. Talk to retired players who went through a 4-3 to 3-4 change. Do an anlaysis of the upcoming FA period (it starts soon enough). Spread out what stories you do have to provide something fresh every couple days.

I find it interesting that the guy in Dallas put together a special teams analysis that gets picked up across the country, and over a few years time has developed a strong following and credibility. The JSO writers should spend this time of the year doing some analysis broader than just the Packers. Maybe one or two of them could develop a cult following or earn a reputation along some other detailed area.

The best information they print usually is picked up from the work of someone else, in my opinion.

Gunakor
02-11-2009, 12:38 AM

The casual fan (note I didn't say normal, because the normal Packer fan is not merely a casual one) who doesn't know what a 3-4 is and doesn't care about Kampy's transition to OLB probably isn't going to be reading the Packers page at JSO during the offseason anyway. That wasn't the point of Patler's post anyhow, but hopefully it answers to your post. Patler's point wasn't that there was a problem because of a Favre topic in the paper, it was that there are more Favre related stories than Packer related stories recently. I find that a bit disturbing as well, especially considering everything that's going on in Packerland right now. You'd think the home team newspaper would be writing more stories about the home team...

mraynrand
02-11-2009, 01:11 AM
The JS is terrible. I only read McGinn anymore and he (by his own admission) is an average beat reporter. I actually think he is an above average beat reporter, having lived in Milwaukee, Chicago, Minneapolis, Seattle, San Fran, and Cleveland. Terry Pluto (Cleveland) and some hack from the Trib in Chicago were better. Clare Farnsworth (Seattle) was worse. The Urinal Scented columnists write pure excrement. Lori Nickle should go back to the Lifetime network and that Hunt guy should actually watch some football. Bedard has possibilities, but he should only blog inside info and not his opinion.

pbmax
02-11-2009, 11:07 AM
I remember one off-season (post-draft) where there was the same story on the Packers page up for six weeks at JS. That might have been the longest summer ever. Sometime later today when I am nowhere near a computer I will remember the story and picture. I fell out of my chair when that picture finally changed. I think this was 97-99 or so.

JSO is at the mercy of the print folks for content, blog or no. Everything, including their revenue model, is print driven. Even the articles in Insider that do not make the print edition are just the filler that make up the Packer Plus publication. If they will not run the Packer article in the print edition, then you are not going to see them pay someone to write it for the web.

Its really backwards, limiting your revenue options because the article won't fit in the paper. That narrow focus will eventually shrink the paper to the size of Auto Trader. Patler is right, they are missing the boat.

MJZiggy
02-11-2009, 08:51 PM
I remember one off-season (post-draft) where there was the same story on the Packers page up for six weeks at JS. That might have been the longest summer ever. Sometime later today when I am nowhere near a computer I will remember the story and picture. I fell out of my chair when that picture finally changed. I think this was 97-99 or so.

JSO is at the mercy of the print folks for content, blog or no. Everything, including their revenue model, is print driven. Even the articles in Insider that do not make the print edition are just the filler that make up the Packer Plus publication. If they will not run the Packer article in the print edition, then you are not going to see them pay someone to write it for the web.

Its really backwards, limiting your revenue options because the article won't fit in the paper. That narrow focus will eventually shrink the paper to the size of Auto Trader. Patler is right, they are missing the boat.

This is why JSO will eventually fail. In order to compete in today's media, you MUST be as dedicated if not more so to the digital page as you are to the print. Even if I did get the print edition, who has time in the morning to sit around and read it. I grab the express on the way to the subway and scan the headlines online after I read my e-mail. If you can't keep up, I'll get my headlines somewhere else. And I don't get it. Ink and paper and press maintenance ain't cheap.

Partial
02-11-2009, 11:55 PM
And I don't get it. Ink and paper and press maintenance ain't cheap.

Nor are servers, commercial content management systems, developers, dbas, etc.

mraynrand
02-12-2009, 02:23 PM
I grab the express on the way to the subway and scan the headlines online after I read my e-mail. If you can't keep up, I'll get my headlines somewhere else.

You are thoroughly modern!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v491/stinkylulu/posters/Thoroughly_Modern_Millie1967.jpg

MJZiggy
02-12-2009, 09:23 PM
Thanks for reminding me. Mike, check your PMs.

CaptainKickass
02-13-2009, 02:54 PM
So I just stopped in over at the JSO page:

Yup - same photo, same story.

Boh-ring!

CaptainKickass
02-16-2009, 10:18 AM
I know you all probably already know this - but I'm bumping this thread for the potential that SOMEBODY at JSO reads this thing and fer phahx sake MAKES A CHANGE.

The whole friggin weekend went by and its THE SAME DAMN "JET-FAVRE" photo. The blog content was updated - but only to speak of Ol #4.

There's a whole other TEAM called the PACKERS you're supposed to be repoorting on JSO, other than an update on Tausch - you're ignoring the rest of the TEAM - ya know, that football team up nort' ....what are they called again? Oh yeah - THE GREEN BAY PACKERS.

Alright - I better stop with the CAPS - this is starting to look like a Woodbuck post.

:D

MadtownPacker
02-16-2009, 10:43 AM
This is why JSO will eventually fail. In order to compete in today's media, you MUST be as dedicated if not more so to the digital page as you are to the print. Even if I did get the print edition, who has time in the morning to sit around and read it. I grab the express on the way to the subway and scan the headlines online after I read my e-mail. If you can't keep up, I'll get my headlines somewhere else. And I don't get it. Ink and paper and press maintenance ain't cheap.Yeah those lazy editors are sure somthing. Shit, their homepage is almost as outdated as PackerRats (http://www.packerrats.com) bullshit...... :D

MJZiggy
02-17-2009, 06:53 AM
Well do we have ANYONE around here competent to write a piece on switching to a 3-4 and how it affects a team? That's a little beyond me.

Patler
02-17-2009, 07:16 AM
Well do we have ANYONE around here competent to write a piece on switching to a 3-4 and how it affects a team? That's a little beyond me.

To take MJZ's inquiry even further, do we have a staff of people around here who are paid to come up with articles people will be interested in? The Milwaukee Journal does. :)

MJZiggy
02-17-2009, 05:59 PM
Actually I just wanted someone to step up and write, but a staff would be nice... :P

Old School
02-19-2009, 01:43 PM
I called the Journal this morning to complain. I told the woman I talked to that if they wanted a Jets page dedicated to BF, they should have the intellectual honesty to label it as such.

The woman gave me a speech about what BF meant to the Packers blah, blah, blah. You'd think she was BF's mother. I told her after this length of time a picture of aaron Rodgers would be over the top,and suggested they get off their butts and write a Packer article.

Just clicked there, and what do you know. A Packer picture and article has replaced the offending mug shot.

I'm sure I'm not solely responsible, but for today I'll think I was the straw that broke the camel's back. Thankfully, now I won't be irratated every time I go there.

KYPack
02-19-2009, 02:08 PM
I called the Journal this morning to complain. I told the woman I talked to that if they wanted a Jets page dedicated to BF, they should have the intellectual honesty to label it as such.

The woman gave me a speech about what BF meant to the Packers blah, blah, blah. You'd think she was BF's mother. I told her after this length of time a picture of aaron Rodgers would be over the top,and suggested they get off their butts and write a Packer article.

Just clicked there, and what do you know. A Packer picture and article has replaced the offending mug shot.

I'm sure I'm not solely responsible, but for today I'll think I was the straw that broke the camel's back. Thankfully, now I won't be irratated every time I go there.

Good job, School.

About time somebody put the arm on that rag.

cpk1994
02-19-2009, 02:16 PM

I'm sure I'm not solely responsible, but for today I'll think I was the straw that broke the camel's back. Thankfully, now I won't be irratated every time I go there.Yeah. I think Greg Bedard's blog posting may have had something to do with it. :wink:

CaptainKickass
02-19-2009, 02:32 PM
I checked the jso page this morning - still had Jett Favre. Then I read the only new thing on the page which was a link to the 3-4 talk article in the blog section.

So after I read Old Schools posting that it changed - I decided to check it out.

The reality of the situation is this:

All they did was rearrange the layout and add that 1 picture with Kampy/Chillar chasing the Faguars QB.

I guess I should be happy that they did "something". But I'm not.

mraynrand
02-19-2009, 03:00 PM

To take MJZ's inquiry even further, do we have a staff of people around here who are paid to come up with articles people will be interested in? The Milwaukee Journal does. :)

I suspect Lori Nickel is still writing scripts for Movies on the Lifetime network. Once Crystal Bernard retires she may have more time to devote to the Packers.