PDA

View Full Version : McCarthy Earning Solid Reputation Throughout League Circles

vince
02-11-2009, 07:46 PM
Previous articles by McGinn, et al, bashing McCarthy and his purported inability to land quality coaches were clearly premature, overblown and ultimately misguided. While his lack of track record caused difficulty in attracting top assistant coaching candidates when he was first hired, that is no longer the case, The combined experience and reputations of the staff he has now put together is second to none in the league. While that clearly doesn't necessarily translate to production on the field, it says a lot about the solid repuation that McCarthy has developed among the coaching fraternity and inside experts throughout the league.

http://www.packerupdate.com/pu/2009/02/staff-building-made-easier.html

BUILDING A STAFF EASIER THIS TIME

Putting together a coaching staff is a lot easier when you have 27 wins and a trip to the NFC Championship game on your resume. Mike McCarthy found that out over the past few weeks. “The only assistansts who wanted to come to Green Bay three years ago were those who had either worked with McCarthy in the past (Jeff Jagodzinski) or those who had worked with McCarthy in the past and were desperate for a job (pretty much everyone else),” said a person familiar with the situation. “Things were different this time. Defensive coaches Dom Capers, Mike Trgovac and Darren Perry had other opportunities, but they chose to come to Green Bay. That tells you that McCarthy - even after a disappointing season - has earned a pretty solid reputation around the National Football League.”

Speaking of the new additions to the staff, while Capers, Trgovac and Kevin Greene garnered the most fanfare, the assistant with the best chance to be a head coach some day could be Darren Perry (safeties). “He was on the fast track until Bill Cowher retired and Mike Tomlin decided to go in a different direction with the Steelers,” said the source. “Perry wound up in Oakland - which these days is akin to being in witness protection. People tend to forget about you.”

Fortunately, Capers has a very good memory. He coached Perry with the Steelers for three seasons in the early 90s and recommended him to McCarthy. “Perry is young, personable and bright and has been influenced by some of the finest defensive strategists in the game - including Dick LeBeau,” said the source. “If the Packers win, there’s no doubt in my mind that he’ll be back on that fast track in a hurry.” Think anybody was saying that three years ago about Kurt Schottenheimer?

Partial
02-11-2009, 09:58 PM
Don't doubt that its happening, but talk about stretching for an artical.

Money. That's what its all about.

Farley Face
02-11-2009, 10:12 PM
Don't doubt that its happening, but talk about stretching for an artical.

Money. That's what its all about.

You think we paid Trgovac more to coach our D Line than Carolina was offering to stay on as D Coordinator? What artical (I mean article) or other source confirms that?

Perry had a three pro bowl secondary to coach where?

Partial
02-11-2009, 10:23 PM
I'm not saying that,. I'm saying MM made what 2 mil a year before his extension?

How can you pay Dom Capers his 2.5ish mil when MM is making less?!? Apply the same principal to the rest of the positions when Sanders was making I belive 600k last year.

Farley Face
02-11-2009, 10:35 PM
I'm not saying that,. I'm saying MM made what 2 mil a year before his extension?

How can you pay Dom Capers his 2.5ish mil when MM is making less?!? Apply the same principal to the rest of the positions when Sanders was making I belive 600k last year.

OK, I missed the intended point of your first post.

...um

So, what was your point again?

Capers is overpaid?

MM Is underpaid?

Sanders was underpaid?

We should pay less for competent coaches?

More for less competent coaches?

What principal (I mean principle) are you applying to this situation?

Partial
02-11-2009, 10:36 PM
You get what you pay for. It has nothing to do with respect that he has a better staff. It has to do with the money they are able to pay the people since MM is making a lot.

Since MM reportedly had to settle on his 3rd choice for GM, I'm not sure what that says about respect.

packrat
02-11-2009, 10:44 PM
If Capers was the third choice, MM got lucky because at least based on track records, he is the pick of the litter.

Farley Face
02-11-2009, 10:47 PM
You get what you pay for. It has nothing to do with respect that he has a better staff. It has to do with the money they are able to pay the people since MM is making a lot.

Since MM reportedly had to settle on his 3rd choice for GM, I'm not sure what that says about respect.

I'll assume you meant DC, not GM. Unless by MM you meant Marty Mcfly and he punched out Biff, fired up the flex capacitor and chose TT as GM.

Gunakor
02-11-2009, 11:22 PM

Well, this may have been his first choice had his name been in circulation from the start. Keep in mind that nobody really heard word one about Capers as a DC here or anywhere else until very late in the game. Moot issue to me though, because I'd rather have Dom Capers at any price than Mike Nolan for free.

bobblehead
02-12-2009, 12:13 AM

I'll assume you meant DC, not GM. Unless by MM you meant Marty Mcfly and he punched out Biff, fired up the flex capacitor and chose TT as GM.

Even though I think TT drafts well, if MM has a flux capacitor we should be doing even better.

Lurker64
02-12-2009, 12:27 AM
I think that it's short sighted to attribute anything that happens here to one cause to the exclusion of all others. Certainly, the fact that McCarthy has more money to offer to assistants has something to do with his ability to put together a fairly star studded staff, but at the same time the "this roster is largely unchanged from the one that went 13-3 a couple years ago, on the back of a top ten defense, and could plausibly be said to simply have underperformed this year" is something that a prospective NFL hire would certainly find attractive.

Personally, I don't believe that McCarthy ever offered the job to Nolan.

mission
02-12-2009, 01:45 AM

Well, this may have been his first choice had his name been in circulation from the start. Keep in mind that nobody really heard word one about Capers as a DC here or anywhere else until very late in the game. Moot issue to me though, because I'd rather have Dom Capers at any price than Mike Nolan for free.

Yeah but were there really any actual sources? MM didn't come out and campaign for anyone that I know of... I know the press speculated based on circumstances (past and present) and maybe asked MM about them but I don't think anyone *really* knows who they were gunning for.

If you look at the situation now, hindsight makes it look like everything was planned out this way. Maybe not, but we don't know... there are so many things that factor in here. Maybe they wanted DC but chose to do their due diligence and interview others just in case they couldnt land him. Maybe they didn't wanna show their hand ... TT is crafty like that.

I don't know, it's a nice fluff piece none the less.

Good to know about Perry... grooming MM's successor. :wink: :lol:

Gunakor
02-12-2009, 01:56 AM

Yeah but were there really any actual sources? MM didn't come out and campaign for anyone that I know of... I know the press speculated based on circumstances (past and present) and maybe asked MM about them but I don't think anyone *really* knows who they were gunning for.

If you look at the situation now, hindsight makes it look like everything was planned out this way. Maybe not, but we don't know... there are so many things that factor in here. Maybe they wanted DC but chose to do their due diligence and interview others just in case they couldnt land him. Maybe they didn't wanna show their hand ... TT is crafty like that.

I don't know, it's a nice fluff piece none the less.

Good to know about Perry... grooming MM's successor. :wink: :lol:

So Capers might just have been TT's/MM's first choice all along regardless.

Pugger
02-12-2009, 08:51 AM
I'll assume you meant DC, not GM. Unless by MM you meant Marty Mcfly and he punched out Biff, fired up the flex capacitor and chose TT as GM.[/quote]

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Fritz
02-12-2009, 01:09 PM
The point I take is that just a few weeks ago people (in the JSO, amongst other places) insinuated that MM couldn't attract a good staff because he had no reputation to offer and a possibly short tenure as well.

Suddenly, the guy has what is considered a good staff - so, how'd that happen if MM was considered such a bumbler in league circles?

mission
02-12-2009, 01:14 PM
The point I take is that just a few weeks ago people (in the JSO, amongst other places) insinuated that MM couldn't attract a good staff because he had no reputation to offer and a possibly short tenure as well.

Suddenly, the guy has what is considered a good staff - so, how'd that happen if MM was considered such a bumbler in league circles?

So what you're really saying is JSO is a bunch of clowns desperate for content? :lol:

mraynrand
02-12-2009, 01:19 PM

What seems more plausible is that MM struggled to recruit coaches his first time around, as the article suggests. Increasing stature and security then allows MM to pitch his current staff (which he knew from the start was subpar) and recruit better coaches. I hope that's right.

Fritz
02-12-2009, 02:17 PM

So what you're really saying is JSO is a bunch of clowns desperate for content? :lol:

I don't know that they're clowns. More like illusionists.

Zool
02-12-2009, 02:19 PM

I'm gonna call them mimes. Not really entertaining to look at, but you look anyway.

mission
02-12-2009, 03:18 PM

I'm gonna call them mimes. Not really entertaining to look at, but you look anyway.

Kinda like all the crackheads in my neighborhood. Marvels me.