PDA

View Full Version : Packer WRs and Favre

Tony Oday
07-10-2006, 10:04 AM
My question here is when he was in his prime, hard to say but he is past his prime, he never really had a go to guy.

When he was young it was Stud Sterling. But when he was really rocking and rolling did he ever have two good-great WR?

I remember the stats of him hitting like 8 players in a game and such. If that is the case this year dont we really only need a possesion WR, a burner, on deep threat TE and one possesion TE?

Thoughts?

Harlan Huckleby
07-10-2006, 10:45 AM
I don't know how you break it down, but during super bowl years he definitely had good receivers. Jackson & Chumura. Robert Brooks. Antonio Freeman. Terry Glenn. Andre Rison.

We don't have good receivers now, just Donald Driver. Sometimes Bubba.

Tony Oday
07-10-2006, 10:50 AM
I don't know how you break it down, but during super bowl years he definitely had good receivers. Jackson & Chumura. Robert Brooks. Antonio Freeman. Terry Glenn. Andre Rison.

We don't have good receivers now, just Donald Driver. Sometimes Bubba.

See that is what I am saying. Glenn was a burner that was hurt a lot. Rison on the tail end of career but was a stund in the big game. Freeman busted outside of G.B. Brooks and Driver have a similar fell to them. Churmura, Jackson combo was awesome a possesion guy and a deep threat guy :)

That is what I am saying it seems like he never had a STUD WR when he was wining games. Just solid WR with decent TE. Biggest thing seems to be that he had the running game and a take no prisoners defense.

Harlan Huckleby
07-10-2006, 10:58 AM
That is what I am saying it seems like he never had a STUD WR when he was wining games. Just solid WR with decent TE. Biggest thing seems to be that he had the running game and a take no prisoners defense.

i'll go with you on the no stud WR. But after that ..... Chmura was much more than "decent", as was Jackson. And I'm not sure what that "solid" label means for WR's, but they were good. They aren't good now.

the_idle_threat
07-10-2006, 11:06 AM
Brett didn't even have a great running game in his "MVP" prime. It wasn't until Dorsey's breakout year that the running game became any kind of strength, and that wasn't until 1997.

IMO The difference between "MVP" Brett Favre and the Brett of the past 5 years has been the lack of a dominating defense. Reggie White retired, and the defense still hasn't recovered from the loss. MVP Favre didn't have to win very many games all by himself, and post-MVP Favre showed he was mortal when he had to do it week in and week out.

Tony Oday
07-10-2006, 11:58 AM
We didnt have a stellar running game but we had the screen pass and such that were more like runs :)

Solid defenition is short to medium routes and catch the ball nothing over the top.

I think we will see old brett in the fact that the ball will be spread ALL OVER the place to our guys this year ;)

woodbuck27
07-10-2006, 02:47 PM
"I remember the stats of him hitting like 8 players in a game and such." Tony Oday

There were games - as late as 2004, as I recall, when Favre was hitting numbers of players (on his own team), in the double digits.

i.e. 10. . 11 . . different players.

Someone - will verify that or not.

Tony Oday
07-10-2006, 03:29 PM
exactly wood. I mean I remember the announcers making a huge deal out of this. I cant wait until it happens again this year ;)

GBRulz
07-10-2006, 11:46 PM
Another thing Brett hasn't had behind him since the SB years are good special teams.

Combine Longwell's short kickoff's with the lousy special teams - you get teams constantly starting at the 35-40 yard line. Top that off with how our defense hasn't been anything stellar, either. It's much more than just the WR's.

Iron Mike
07-11-2006, 06:42 AM
Playing Devil's Advocate here--

Does anyone recall any outstanding moments when BF went to the Pro Bowl and got a chance to play with some Pro Bowl WRs?????