PDA

View Full Version : Former Green bay QB - Robbie Bosco ? The Story.

woodbuck27
07-10-2006, 10:05 AM
BOSCO STILL FACE OF
BYU's CHAMPIONSHIP SEASON

Steve Megargee
Rivals.com College Football Staff Writer

Did you ever wonder what became of your favorite college football stars from yesteryear? Did you think about how often they're reminded of their crowning achievements?

Wonder no more. Rivals.com is spending the summer tracking down some of the college players who delivered the most memorable moments of the last generation. This week we're concentrating on players who were part of college football's greatest Cinderella stories.

Name: Robbie Bosco Age: 43 Residence: Provo, Utah

Claim to fame:

Quarterbacked Brigham Young to the 1984 national championship. Threw a 13-yard pass to Kelly Smith that gave the Cougars the winning touchdown with 1:23 remaining in a title-clinching 24-17 Holiday Bowl victory over Michigan. Came back from an injury and threw for 343 yards to spark Brigham Young's comeback victory over the Wolverines. Finished third in the Heisman Trophy balloting in 1984 and 1985. Now works as a fundraiser in the BYU athletic department after spending 15 years as an assistant coach for the Cougars.

Pro career:

The Green Bay Packers selected Bosco in the third round of the 1986 NFL Draft. He spent the 1986 season on injured reserve with a shoulder problem, then joined the Packers' active roster in 1987 before getting released the following year. "My shoulder never really came around. I decided to just kind of move on. Instead of trying to go other places, I called it quits."

What he's doing now:

"I work in the (BYU) athletic department in administration. I do fundraising and work with the former athletes, connecting them back with the school and getting them excited to be a part of BYU and the athletic program. I coached for 15 years here at BYU.

"After I was done playing with the Packers, I didn't really know what I wanted to do. I never really thought about going into coaching or anything like that. Marc Wilson was with the Packers at the time, and he let me know that Garth Hall, who used to be the running backs coach at BYU, was now the head coach at Idaho State. (Wilson) thought (Hall) was looking for a guy to coach quarterbacks. I called up Garth because I knew him when he was a running backs coach here at BYU. He welcomed me with open arms to come out and coach. I started coaching there and stayed there a year, then came down to BYU after that. "I'd been coaching a while and my kids were starting to get to the age where they were participating in a lot of sports and getting older. I wanted to make sure I was able to do things with them and watch them play. Coaching didn't allow a lot of that. That was part of the reason I came into (administration).''

KYPack
07-10-2006, 10:17 AM
There's a little glitch with Bosco's story as made by this reporter.

Bosco never played for the Pack. He was a 3rd round pick, was hurt, spent a year and a half on IR, & released. Robbie Bosco was never on the regular season roster of the Pack, nor did he ever play a down for the Green & Gold.

woodbuck27
07-10-2006, 10:26 AM
There's a little glitch with Bosco's story as made by this reporter.

Bosco never played for the Pack. He was a 3rd round pick, was hurt, spent a year and a half on IR, & released. Robbie Bosco was never on the regular season roster of the Pack, nor did he ever play a down for the Green & Gold.

Always 'the Sharpie' KY. Good observation and clarification.

Thanks.