PDA

View Full Version : Chuck Cecil Named Titans DC

vince
02-13-2009, 04:33 AM
http://www.tennessean.com/article/20090212/SPORTS01/90212023/1027

Titans name Cecil defensive coordinator
Longtime assistant has experience to succeed, Fisher says

When he played in the NFL, no one questioned Chuck Cecil’s toughness. It showed up in his blood stained uniform as well as his wallet — he once held the league record for largest fine.

As he takes over as defensive coordinator for the Titans, however, the most obvious questions are about his readiness for the job. Those who’ve spent time around Cecil, who’s been a Titans assistant for eight years, said the answers are as definitive as one of his bone-crushing hits.

Titans Coach Jeff Fisher had been a secondary coach for 2½ years when he was promoted to defensive coordinator of the Philadelphia Eagles in 1988.

“I was a roll of the dice,” said Fisher, who reeled off the names of previous Titans defensive coordinators who had great success. “People said Gregg Williams was a roll of the dice and a lot of people said Jim Schwartz was.

“Chuck has a lot more experience than any of those guys. He is prepared, and he is ready.’’

The Titans officially promoted Cecil on Thursday, nearly a month after Schwartz left to become head coach of the Detroit Lions. Cecil, 44, takes over a unit that finished this past season ranked second in the NFL in points allowed and seventh in total defense.

Cecil was the secondary coach the past two seasons after coaching safeties and nickel backs from 2004-06. He joined the Titans as a defensive assistant/quality control in 2001.

“I love the game of football and being a defensive coordinator is obviously a big responsibility, but I’ve always been about big responsibilities,’’ said Cecil, who played safety for seven seasons with the Green Bay Packers, Arizona Cardinals and Houston Oilers. ‘‘Am I ready? We’ll see. I feel ready. I feel confident in what we’re going to do. I’m ready to rock and roll.’’

Several Titans defenders said they’re ready to roll with him.

“It is good for me and good for our defense,’’ defensive end Kyle Vanden Bosch said. “Since I’ve been here I think our defense itself has evolved and been simplified in a lot of ways. We don’t do a lot of crazy things but we do the things we do really well.

“The good thing is Coach Cecil has been with this defense through this evolution and seen the changes we’ve made. … We don’t have to learn a whole new defense. I’m sure he’ll bring his own wrinkle and change a few things here and there but it is not going to be a complete change of the defense.’’

Neither Fisher nor Cecil promised any sweeping changes.

“There’s always going to be questions right off the bat,’’ linebacker Stephen Tulloch said, “but I think Coach Cecil is definitely up to the challenge. We have everybody returning for the most part on defense. He takes tremendous pride in his job and you can go to him with any question and he knows the answer. He’s well respected and I think the guys will definitely respond well to him.

“I am anxious to see how it works out. We won’t lose a step with Chuck Cecil.’’

The Titans elevated Marcus Robertson to fill Cecil’s previous job and added Tim Hauck to the staff as assistant secondary coach, the job Robertson previously held.

Hauck, a former NFL player, most recently served as safeties coach at UCLA. Before that he coached at Montana, where one of his players was Fisher’s oldest son.

Fisher also considered Titans assistant head coach/linebackers Dave McGinnis for defensive coordinator. McGinnis has 22 years of NFL coaching experience, including a stint as defensive coordinator and later head coach with the Cardinals. He joined the Titans in 2005.

Fisher said McGinnis supported the hiring of Cecil, who praised McGinnis for his guidance and friendship.

While Cecil was known as a hard-nosed player — in 1993 he appeared on the cover of Sports Illustrated with the headline “Is Chuck Cecil Too Vicious for the NFL?” — as a coach he’s considered a hard worker who spends long hours at Baptist Sports Park. Others regard him as a great teacher.

Three members of the 2008 secondary went to the Pro Bowl — cornerback Cortland Finnegan and safeties Chris Hope and Michael Griffin. The secondary collected 19 interceptions this past season.

“The way he played the game is the way we try and play the game as a secondary,’’ Finnegan said.

Cecil doesn’t necessarily want the defense to take on his personality, however.

“I don’t think they could afford it nowadays,’’ he said with a smile. “I am not here to try and turn our guys into anybody. They are already great players and they have already proven themselves and will continue to prove themselves.’’

Lions defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham is one of Cecil’s biggest fans. When Cunningham left the Titans in 2003 to become defensive coordinator of the Kansas City Chiefs, he tried to take Cecil with him.

He said there is “no question” Cecil is ready for the promotion.

“It’s great when an ex-player steps up to that level to get that job,” Cunningham said. “The only thing he is going to find out is it’s a little tougher than maybe he anticipated because coordinators get fired faster than the head coaches do.

“But I’m sure he’ll take the bull by the horns and go after it, and God help the guys who are coaching against him, because if Chuck coaches the way he plays there’s no doubt the Titans will keep their defensive tradition going.’’

Reach Jim Wyatt at 615-259-8015 or jwyatt@tennessean.com

Gunakor
02-13-2009, 04:41 AM
Heh, well, I don't see the Titan defense getting soft any time soon. Cecil was absolutely insane as a player, one of the hardest hitters I've ever had the privledge of watching. If that carries over as a coach and becomes a focal point of that defense.... Lets just say I'm glad we played them last year, and likely won't have to see them again for awhile.

Fritz
02-13-2009, 07:32 AM
At the same time, the guy led the league in stupid penalties, in my opinion. Wonder if that'll carry over, too.

sheepshead
02-13-2009, 07:34 AM
Is the story true that he cut himself like a pro wrestler?

KYPack
02-13-2009, 07:35 AM
Fish has a good staff down there, He had Schwartz, Dave McGinnis, and Chuck Cecil on it?

I wudda named Dave McGinnis, I like that boy's style.

That said, Chuck deserves the chance.

Good luck to him, until they play the Packers.