PDA

View Full Version : Fricken ESPN

PackerTimer
02-13-2009, 06:01 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3905730

I'm watching a piece where Ed Werder is interviewing Favre. Through the entire thing Favre maintains that nobody in GB talked to him during the offseason or told him to come back and that he says was one of the hints that they didn't want him back.

Towards the end of the interview, with only a few minutes left of the part I watched he says that MM called him once a week for about the first month and told him that he wanted him back and it all but after that nothing. So I guess they did want him back.

Does anybody pick up on this and ask him why he said a few minutes ago he never heard from anybody. Maybe he should have given MM an answer during one of those conversations. If you sit around and pick your butt long enough life is gonna pass you by. Sorry Brett, you messed around too many times and it cost you.

PackerTimer
02-13-2009, 06:02 PM
And also don't get me wrong. I like the guy. For most of the interview he's the same Brett Favre I cheered for 16 years. But he still can't let go of two things. One is that they wouldn't let him play GM and the second is the belief that they should have been on the phone with him weekly and given him up until training camp to decide if he wanted to play again.

Pugger
02-13-2009, 06:08 PM
I saw it too and most of the time he was like he always is. But when asked about GB...how many times did BF need MM and TT to call him? He didn't feel enough love? Sheesh... :?

mraynrand
02-13-2009, 06:55 PM
I saw it too and most of the time he was like he always is. But when asked about GB...how many times did BF need MM and TT to call him? He didn't feel enough love? Sheesh... :?

When TT loves a QB...

http://www.singingfool.com/photos/1339/284302.jpg

PaCkFan_n_MD
02-13-2009, 07:35 PM
The championship game was played around 1-20? a month later would be around 2-20. So he didn't get a phone call for one-two weeks and then retired on march 4? That shows he really didn't care to play. He wanted someone to beg him to play so he could come back like he always does around april-may.

Joemailman
02-13-2009, 08:31 PM
Pick Favre apart now if you wish. I prefer to remember this Favre.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dS-qMjMR1yI

Cheesehead Craig
02-13-2009, 08:41 PM
Pick Favre apart now if you wish. I prefer to remember this Favre.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dS-qMjMR1yI
"You got any left handed footballs?" That's fucking classic! :lol:

Packers4Ever
02-13-2009, 10:45 PM
And also don't get me wrong. I like the guy. For most of the interview he's the same Brett Favre I cheered for 16 years. But he still can't let go of two things. One is that they wouldn't let him play GM and the second is the belief that they should have been on the phone with him weekly and given him up until training camp to decide if he wanted to play again.

I missed the interview, PT, just wanted to say I do remember Brett
saying last summer that they - MM & TT - were not returning the
calls he made to them, this would have been May - June or
thereabouts.

I want to believe him but, I don't know. Did he - or not?

cpk1994
02-14-2009, 07:54 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3905730

I'm watching a piece where Ed Werder is interviewing Favre. Through the entire thing Favre maintains that nobody in GB talked to him during the offseason or told him to come back and that he says was one of the hints that they didn't want him back.

Towards the end of the interview, with only a few minutes left of the part I watched he says that MM called him once a week for about the first month and told him that he wanted him back and it all but after that nothing. So I guess they did want him back.

Does anybody pick up on this and ask him why he said a few minutes ago he never heard from anybody. Maybe he should have given MM an answer during one of those conversations. If you sit around and pick your butt long enough life is gonna pass you by. Sorry Brett, you messed around too many times and it cost you.I like how Werder completely ignored the fact the Brett retired last year and made it seem like Favre was pushed out the door when in facrt Brett pushed himself out the door. The Packers need to impose a boycott of ESPN immediately until they are allowed to tell their side becuase ESPN won't report it otherwise.

sheepshead
02-14-2009, 08:34 AM

I miss it all. Jim and Max too.

KYPack
02-15-2009, 09:04 AM
I've just noticed how little I watch ESPN anymore. It's so full of shit and sensational, I don't have any belief in what they say. When something is announced on ESPN, I wait and see what a news org with credibility has to say, before I react one way or the other.

sharpe1027
02-15-2009, 02:18 PM
The championship game was played around 1-20? a month later would be around 2-20. So he didn't get a phone call for one-two weeks and then retired on march 4? That shows he really didn't care to play. He wanted someone to beg him to play so he could come back like he always does around april-may.

In Favre's mind, calling ever week is 'crickets'. :roll:

digitaldean
02-15-2009, 02:27 PM
I've just noticed how little I watch ESPN anymore. It's so full of shit and sensational, I don't have any belief in what they say. When something is announced on ESPN, I wait and see what a news org with credibility has to say, before I react one way or the other.

SportsCenter is nothing but overhyped teaser comments to get viewers to stay tuned to the broadcast.

Journalism doesn't rear it's head too much on ESPN.

Peter Gammons' interview with A-Rod was a complete farce. If he had any sort of credible followup questions he'd have hammered A-Rod into submission.

Pack-man
02-16-2009, 03:15 PM

I saw it too, made me sick. Another question I have, wasn't Brett under contract with the Packers? So unless he retired wasn't he expected to be back? Do they need to call all players under contract and tell them they want them back?

Harlan Huckleby
02-16-2009, 07:49 PM
HEre's a long Peter King column about Favre:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/peter_king/02/15/favre/index.html

Maybe somebody can read it and tell me what to think, I couldn't get through it.

KYPack
02-16-2009, 08:21 PM
HEre's a long Peter King column about Favre:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/peter_king/02/15/favre/index.html

Maybe somebody can read it and tell me what to think, I couldn't get through it.

Read it, Kids.

It's the usual PK puff piece for Brett. but a good one.

One part has a point I've been trying to drive into HH's pointy little dog head...

Quote on

The reality, Favre knows now, is he not only wanted to play again, but he wanted to show Green Bay -- particularly general manager Ted Thompson -- that it was making a big mistake in going forward without him. "Part of me coming back last year, I have to admit now, was sticking it to Ted,'' he said in a rather startling admission.

Quote off.

We (PackerRats Forum Members) know, man.

packerbacker1234
02-17-2009, 08:41 AM
One phone call a week for the first month after the season from MM is hardly showing commitment to wanting him back. Favre also mentioned that several from the origination would be in constant contact with Favre at teh end of each season all the way to the annoucement. You would assume this included the president of the franchise, and more then likely TT. TT and the President did not attempt ot contact him, and MM was more or less just trying to make a good faith effort incase favre did say he wanted back right away.

None of us really have a major issue with MM. In fact, MM could be TT's best move so far. However, many do take issue with TT. Either for not going all out in the twilight years of favre when he showed he still had game left (imagine if we had a gm commited to winning a super bowl in 07' with how #4 played), or for making asanine statements and generally looking like an idiot everytime he opens his mouth. He's a decent draft scout, but a bad gm.

Patler
02-17-2009, 09:20 AM
If they called too often they were pressuring him into a decision.
If they called too infrequently, they didn't show that they wanted him back.

Favre had a bug up his butt about the organization, and nothing they did the last few off seasons regarding his retirement decision would have satisfied him. Once Favre decided to critique the GM's decisions on free agency and other actions, a breakup with hard feelings was inevitable. That doesn't diminish what he meant to the organization as a player, but his greatness as a player doesn't mean he was right to criticize the organization's actions in other matters, not that he was right in how he handled the last 12 months.

In my opinion Favre made mountains out of molehills too many times, and that lead to what happened last year.

sharpe1027
02-17-2009, 10:11 AM
If they called too often they were pressuring him into a decision.

Very funny (or sad) when you consider that Favre also complained about being pressured into a decision. So which is it really? Not enough interest or too much interest? The whole thing is like dealing with a little kid, with all these explanations and excuses, but if you take a step back and look at the big picture it's not too hard to see what is really going on.

Harlan Huckleby
02-17-2009, 10:41 AM
I think Favre should be welcomed back to Green Bay after he apologizes to Ted Thompson and the fans for his behavior. Which I suppose is to say maybe he can enter the GB Hall of Fame posthumously.

He is like Ty Cobb in baseball - a great player, serious character problems.

Joemailman
02-17-2009, 04:47 PM
I think Favre should be welcomed back to Green Bay after he apologizes to Ted Thompson and the fans for his behavior. Which I suppose is to say maybe he can enter the GB Hall of Fame posthumously.

He is like Ty Cobb in baseball - a great player, serious character problems.

Favre doesn't need to apologize for anything that happened in the last year, even though there were some things he did not handle well. What he does need to do is bury the hatchet (at least publicly), and refrain from burning bridges. It would be ludicrous to have a Packer Hall Of Fame without Favre, the past year notwithstanding.

Harlan Huckleby
02-17-2009, 05:09 PM
dp

Harlan Huckleby
02-17-2009, 05:14 PM
Favre doesn't need to apologize for anything that happened in the last year, even though there were some things he did not handle well.

Sure he does. He said Thompson and the Packers treated him badly, claimed they said untrue things, misled him. Yet he never specifically challenged any detail of the chronology released by the packers.

It seems that it was Favre who was lying and slandering the Packers because his pride was hurt.

I was anxious for Favre to put this behind him, and the fans to do the same. Now that I see Favre is sticking to his insane, Prima Donna position, I say he can go to hell.

Pugger
02-18-2009, 10:37 AM
It is kinda funny/sad. He pisses and moans because TT and MM arean't calling him begging him to return but he complains MM was pressuring him into a decision by calling him? What the...?? BF has some serious growing up to do for a 40 year old man. :roll: