PDA

View Full Version : GB 2009..Salary Cap, FA, Draft, etc. What Are We Looking At?

SnakeLH2006
02-15-2009, 12:58 AM
The forum has been slow lately, so I thought I'd kickstart it with some feedback from some PackerRats...

I might need to hit up Joe Arrigo cuz it's getting hard to predict what we'll look like Opening Day 2009. :shock: :lol: Ok, just kidding...No, really.

But seriously, we've had some major moves going down in the coaching staff (total revampment of not only D coaches, but the scheme ((a 3-4)) in general.)

The last offseason was all about ARod's transition from Brettie. And that turned out well. Hard to blame Arod considering a great statistical and leadership season from an unknown to one of the top young QB's in the game.

This offseason is really up in the air. A 3-4, old OT's, etc.

I'm asking for stats like salary cap space, potential FA's that we may realistically target and turnovers of starters...

1) What's our cap space?
2) What FA's can we sign?
3) What starters will be different (whether through position change, FA, and the 2009 NFL draft)?

I feel Peppers and Haynesworth are out of the question, yet you never know. The Ravens have 3 starting 3-4 LB's up for grabs and I'd take any other than Ray Lewis (only based on age). I'd love to grab an OT through FA and grab Raji in the draft at DT (as I really feel this will be a make-or-break position unattainable through FA). Pickett is OK but showed he's getting older (30) and maybe not the mountain we need at NT in a 3-4.

The D has many questions as far as the scheme change with Kampy moving and numerous questions with JH's and Jolly being able to contribute in 2009.

The O looks good, except for the OT questions with Cliffy and Tauchy.

Tough to predict yet I do see 1-2 significant starters in FA, as TT knows he needs to get out the shell after a 6-10 year to do this.

Our #1 pick must also start and pray it's Raji or an OT like Monroe.

The lines must be strengthened for sure.

What's your views as far as plausible scenarios (not wishes) for our team in 2009?

Tony Oday
02-15-2009, 07:53 PM
I can see TT actually opening the vault and for players to actually accept contracts from GB. I think we sign one more Chillar type of LB that is used to playing in the 3-4. I think we will draft a saftey and a CB and expect them to contribute.

Peppers will be a Packer, I dont know why I think this I just really do.

I would be surprised to see us stick with the Zone Blocking scheme but we will see. I also think that we will have some serious turnover on the OL and this will be another tough year running the ball.

PaCkFan_n_MD
02-15-2009, 08:03 PM
I hope TT drafts only lineman and linebackers.

red
02-15-2009, 08:53 PM
to answer that first question

we're looking at having at least 30 million in free cap space. i think that is without the LTBE bonus rollover from last year. something that TT really likes to use.

so that number should go up

Waldo
02-15-2009, 09:12 PM
If you make some basic/obvious assumptions on the ERFA/RFA tendering and factor in the push forward we have ~32.5M in cap space.

.....But, TT said it himself too, we've got A LOT of guys with no contracts soon, that 32.5M is basically a mirage, in reality pretty much for every player we get in FA, a player will be walking due to cap space in the future.

Jennings, Colledge, Collins, Kampman, Pickett, Driver, Williams, Chillar, Spitz, Blackmon, Jolly.....etc.....

There are 28 players on the team who are signed to a contract beyond the '09 season. TT has a lot of work to do.

IMO there is a 2-7M $ slot to use this year, assuming TT can sign guys reasonable close to the going rate for similar players.

If we sign a guy like Peppers IMO Kamp is on the 2 year plan, 1 more year under his current contract and a franchise tag during the uncapped year. After that it is totally impractical to pay the 2 starting OLB's 15-20M/yr and one will have to go.

texaspackerbacker
02-15-2009, 11:54 PM
I don't think Thompson does much of significance regarding free agents on the market. I do think he gets that job done regarding most of our own upcoming free agents. I think we draft a Corner or OT if Jenkins or a top three OT are there at #9. If not, trading down is very possible or else the old Thompson trick of picking somebody nobody expects. All that stuff is old news.

My blockbuster would occur down the line--maybe 3rd, 4th, or 5th round. I'd really like to see the Packer grab Pat White--or somebody similar--as a sort of slash player. I like the idea of having the capability of running some spread or option or "wildcat" type of plays as a sort of change of pace.