View Full Version : Have any Rats had to deal with downsizing or layoffs yet?

GrnBay007
02-17-2009, 09:40 PM
With constantly reading about layoffs, wonder how we are all doing.

Little Whiskey
02-17-2009, 09:43 PM
My company deals with the auto industry and their suppliers. We have felt a bit of a pinch. As i am in sales we are the last to be "let go". but there has been some downsizing on the inside and support positions.

Bretsky
02-17-2009, 09:51 PM
No, I have not; my job may be more secure then it has been in a long time

Unfortunately it seems like I am speaking with people who are laid off on a weekly basis though.

Just a slight tip for all; if you think you are in danger of being laid off........and you want to refinance to lower your montly payment......don't wait til you have no job to call your banker.

Cheers,
B

digitaldean
02-17-2009, 10:01 PM
I work in the electronic prepress industry. (take designs for packaging from either our designers or ad agencies and modify/manipulate them to print correctly on polybags, corrugated boxes or other paperboard products).

There has been a ton of shutdowns and layoffs in the print industry. My company had 2 divisions in the same city once we were bought out, so eventually we had cutbacks or consolidations. (or people who left before the corp. ax fell)

As of right now, we're OK. I can't focus on the negative or I'll go batty. I am thankful that I have my freelance gig. It helps cover our family budget. As a company, we haven't had pay raises in several years. Not thrilled with it, but thankful I've got a job nonetheless.

Kiwon
02-17-2009, 10:30 PM
Well, I hope the best for any PRer dealing with a job loss or threatened job loss.

I'm afraid we are going to be in this cycle for the next couple of years.

Hang in there and save as much money as you can right now.

Zool
02-17-2009, 10:49 PM
Found out today that I dont lose my job like a lot of other people at my company, but everyone who's left standing gets no raise and loses their health/life/dental subsidies from the company. My costs on those are going to more than double paying for them myself.

oregonpackfan
02-17-2009, 11:12 PM
I am meeting more and more people out here who had lost jobs. Oregon's largest two corporations, Intel and Nike, have both downsized. Nike just announced they are laying off 4% of their staff.

HarveyWallbangers
02-18-2009, 12:09 AM
The company I work for made its largest profit ever last year, and it's been in busy for about 40 years. We're pretty dependent on gas prices though. If gas prices are consistently over $2.70/gallon this year, we'll lose money. Anything under that and we are in pretty good shape.

Fosco33
02-18-2009, 12:17 AM
My firm is expecting 20% growth this year in revenue and probably 15% in headcount... I'm also recommending increases in my client's org structure (very rare in LA).

Lots of friends working in film/TV -- probably half the people I know in that industry are laid off. My wife's still on maternity leave - otherwise would've been axed (which is funny, because she probably won't go back either way - but if she can get unemployment then why not).

mraynrand
02-18-2009, 12:27 AM
I'm a mag-lev train operator. I expect to have a new job any day now.

Gunakor
02-18-2009, 06:21 AM
As an alternative to layoffs, the hotel I work at has cut hours for hourly workers instead. Those who are not salaried and were accustomed to working 5 day, 40 hour weeks are now working 4 day, 32 hour weeks. But nobody has lost their job due to the economy, which is remarkable considering the travel and lodging industry is typically one of the hardest hit by a troubled economy.

retailguy
02-18-2009, 07:55 AM
I haven't been affected and don't anticipate that I will. However, that being said, like Zool, there are no raises and an increase in health benefit costs.

No current layoffs, but we reduced 5k last year, so maybe we were preemptive or perhaps there are more coming that are not yet announced.

Harlan Huckleby
02-18-2009, 10:52 AM
I'd appreciate it if some of the people in the "very confident" category would identify themselves. I need to borrow a little money this spring, I have references, will certainly have it back with interest by July. (Excuse the personal note. TIA.)

hurleyfan
02-19-2009, 07:42 AM
I work for a Blue Computer company, and we just went through the latest rounds of cuts here in NY.. Still have my job, but we're clearly on "notice".

It sucks.....

mraynrand
02-19-2009, 10:58 AM
I anticipated the economic downturn ten years ago and started working 20 hours a week.

HowardRoark
02-19-2009, 08:55 PM
I anticipated the economic downturn ten years ago and started working 20 hours a week.

If you really played your cards right, you also bought too much house and stopped paying your mortgage. Ka-ching!!! Fat city now.

mraynrand
02-20-2009, 10:48 AM

If you really played your cards right, you also bought too much house and stopped paying your mortgage. Ka-ching!!! Fat city now.

I'm struggling to re-fi my castle

http://thump01.pbase.com/g6/82/265582/3/69215278.4Dy43E2n.jpg

Freak Out
02-20-2009, 11:49 AM
My wife was furloughed from Alaska Airlines for a year...she lost all benefits except for flight privileges but it was better than being laid off and losing everything after three months if she is not called back to work....which is not likely considering where she was on the totem pole...eight months to a year is more likely.

Of course she lost medical that covered both of us so now I'm back to paying a fucking fortune to cover us both. I love being self employed but I get bent over a barrel in insurance premiums.

Kiwon
02-20-2009, 03:54 PM
My wife was furloughed from Alaska Airlines for a year...she lost all benefits except for flight privileges but it was better than being laid off and losing everything after three months if she is not called back to work....which is not likely considering where she was on the totem pole...eight months to a year is more likely.

Of course she lost medical that covered both of us so now I'm back to paying a fucking fortune to cover us both. I love being self employed but I get bent over a barrel in insurance premiums.

You went through your COBRA coverage?

Freak Out
02-20-2009, 05:47 PM

You went through your COBRA coverage?

It's was a joke......the premium was huge and so was the deductible so I opted to just pay a higher premium and get much better overall out of it. Hopefully she will get called back early and we can get covered again....after some travel she is going to work a short contract with Conoco but it is pay only...no benefits.

Joemailman
05-18-2009, 09:28 PM
My brother and brother-in-law have been notified that the printing company they've worked for for 30 years will be shutting down in a week or so. They knew it was coming, but thought they might make it through the summer. It's worst for my brother-in-law who has his daughter's wedding to pay for in October. He's also going to have to find health insurance since his wife (my sister) doesn't work full time due to health problems. Timing couldn't have been worse.

GrnBay007
05-18-2009, 09:57 PM
Sorry to hear that Joe.

I read the Midwest (well, the article was specific for Iowa) said we are almost a year behind some parts of the country as far as feeling the same effects of the economic crunch/crisis. That's pretty scary considering I've heard lots of hardship stories already locally.

oregonpackfan
05-18-2009, 10:49 PM
Last month's unemployment figures showed Oregon's unemployment was 12.1%. It was the second highest in the country, exceeded only by Michigan.

Deputy Nutz
05-19-2009, 07:37 AM
I'd appreciate it if some of the people in the "very confident" category would identify themselves. I need to borrow a little money this spring, I have references, will certainly have it back with interest by July. (Excuse the personal note. TIA.)

I am a confident bastard.

SkinBasket
05-19-2009, 07:42 AM
I believe our President when he tells me how many jobs he's saving/creating each month, so I am confident that all of you are making this up in an attempt to make him look like a liar.

Scott Campbell
05-19-2009, 12:10 PM
My brother and brother-in-law have been notified that the printing company they've worked for for 30 years will be shutting down in a week or so. They knew it was coming, but thought they might make it through the summer. It's worst for my brother-in-law who has his daughter's wedding to pay for in October. He's also going to have to find health insurance since his wife (my sister) doesn't work full time due to health problems. Timing couldn't have been worse.

I believe he should be eligible for COBRA health insurance. Normally it's pretty spendy, but Obama is picking up 2/3rds of it for the newly unemployed - as long as they're making less than $250K a year as a couple.

mraynrand
05-19-2009, 12:16 PM
I personally don't suffer from downsizing, but if any of you men do, I suggest the following thread: http://www.packerrats.com/ratchat/viewtopic.php?t=17628

Joemailman
05-19-2009, 04:24 PM

I believe he should be eligible for COBRA health insurance. Normally it's pretty spendy, but Obama is picking up 2/3rds of it for the newly unemployed - as long as they're making less than $250K a year as a couple.

I don't know much about it, but my brother said because the company will no longer exist, he doesn't qualify. If he were being laid off, he would qualify.

Freak Out
05-19-2009, 06:29 PM
"if you loan me six Quid today I could surely pay you back next Tuesday"

Scott Campbell
05-19-2009, 06:29 PM

I don't know much about it, but my brother said because the company will no longer exist, he doesn't qualify. If he were being laid off, he would qualify.

That is incredibly sucky.

SnakeLH2006
05-23-2009, 03:47 AM
No. Snake is a good employee, but hours are getting cut hardcore and my firm just hired 2 new peeps that know may same job from the same branch (same job as mine). Where are the hours gonna go now? Just pissed. Hours cut with similar peeps at my same work station. Thank god I got 8.5 years in. Although they cut peeps with 10+ recently, but Snake is far better off as an employee skillwise than them, but just sucks when you compete with co-workers/friends for hours-bonuses....as this economy at least in the US is shit.

GrnBay007
05-23-2009, 09:02 AM
No layoffs yet, but our district is starting the new fiscal year with a 700,000 + deficit. History will most likely repeat itself and they will ask if anyone wants to take time off without pay before they consider layoffs.

Bretsky
05-23-2009, 09:13 AM
I believe our President when he tells me how many jobs he's saving/creating each month, so I am confident that all of you are making this up in an attempt to make him look like a liar.

hope and change baby; hope and change :lol:

GrnBay007
11-18-2009, 10:44 PM
I guess it was partially true the Midwest was behind in feeling the affects of the economic crunch.

As a State employee, we are being handed the burden of balancing the state budget ( :roll: ) in an effort to refrain from raising taxes. Members are voting this week to pass a memorandum to take 5 days off unpaid and loss of states deferred comp match. They say it will save hundreds of jobs. Problem is it's only a band aid to cover the budget until July....then there will likely be layoffs anyway. Nice to be a state employee when times are good, but not so nice when times are bad.

mraynrand
11-19-2009, 12:11 AM
You got to pay more attention to what's going on, 7. Gov't jobs and teachers are doing the best in this economy - and any other special interests that are getting payback for election efforts. You think it's bad in the govt? Try some other sectors. (note: I just realized you wrote STATE - those can be much worse). Check out the fed jobs. Wesley Mouch is handing them out as long as the tax base holds up and/or the treasury can print the dollars.

GrnBay007
11-19-2009, 08:24 AM
You got to pay more attention to what's going on, 7. Gov't jobs and teachers are doing the best in this economy - and any other special interests that are getting payback for election efforts. You think it's bad in the govt? Try some other sectors. (note: I just realized you wrote STATE - those can be much worse). Check out the fed jobs. Wesley Mouch is handing them out as long as the tax base holds up and/or the treasury can print the dollars.

Yeah, should have moved on to the Feds long ago, and could have but that's a long story lol. I don't mean to sound ungrateful either....happy to still have a job w/ good benefits. If this memorandum vote doesn't pass they say there will be 400+ layoffs in our Dept. Because of time in I won't be part of the lay off, just the sucky after effects of it. They are leading people to believe if they vote yes and take unpaid time off they will be saving jobs but that only helps till July 1st and then those jobs will be gone anyway.

MichiganPackerFan
11-19-2009, 01:20 PM
Yes, I went through a hard one. It came out of nowhere: I was out of the building within 45 minutes waving goodbye with one finger. Four years as a CPA in a Big 4 firm and you're more expendable than toilet paper, and used for about the same purpose. Oh, and I had signed the contract for our wedding reception the day before. So in addition to the job hunt, we had to pay for the wedding and celebration while being unemployed. Luckily I have a great resume and a decade of work experience, so I was only on the market for a couple of months. I feel for those who have been there longer (like so many people I know in Michigan). Anyway, we resurfaced on the east coast and are getting things back together. Technically not MichiganPackerFan anymore :(

Scott Campbell
11-19-2009, 02:58 PM
I sure wish I'd get laid off. Ski season is almost here.

mraynrand
11-19-2009, 03:42 PM
Yes, I went through a hard one.

I sure wish I'd get laid

I thought this thread was about downsizing!