PDA

View Full Version : Raji almost certainly off the board at 9 now

Lurker64
02-18-2009, 11:49 AM
Chiefs Switching to a 3-4 (http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/02/18/what-will-move-to-3-4-mean-to-chiefs-dorsey). Unless, by some miracle, they take Brown.

I think that this may turn out to be a very bad year to be switching to the 3-4, since everybody's doing it and the draft is going to be pretty heavily mined. It's particularly bad for Denver, since they've got a terrible defense and they've got three 3-4 teams who need defense picking ahead of them.

Waldo
02-18-2009, 11:55 AM
#3 overall would make Raji one of the highest paid DT's in the NFL, and by far the highest paid NT who don't make as much as the elite 4-3 UT's.

#3 is too high to take Raji. Pioli took Wilfork at #21. Ngata went at #12. Raji is no better of a prospect than them, #3 is a huge reach.

Curry would be perfect for their defense too, he actually has #3 overall value, same with Jenkins who likewise has #3 overall value.

Raji's stock is going to fall a bit. Unless he benches 40+, runs sub 5.0 and jumps 32", the combine is not going to help his stock, whereas it is going to help a lot of other guys to displace him downward.

SkinBasket
02-18-2009, 11:56 AM
I don't think one player being gone at 9 makes or breaks our switch to the 3-4. The success of our defense is going to depend much more heavily on our coaching than the draft.

rbaloha1
02-18-2009, 11:59 AM
Surprised the writer's assertion of Dorsey being a misfit. Disagree. Powerfully and explosive built dude with athletic ability. If the Chiefs are looking to trade the Packers should consider.

Yes, more teams are moving to the 3-4 but its still the minority scheme in the NFL.

While the draft appears thin on nose tackle, the draft is plentiful of defensive ends and outside linebackers/hybrids.

Optimistic the Packers will draft the right players to fit the scheme.

Waldo
02-18-2009, 12:10 PM
You have to remember, there definitely are a couple "unknown" NT's, guys with the power to handle the nose, but that trained hard to go into the draft in the 300-310 lb range to test the best and appeal to the widest variety of teams, but that would have no problem ballooning to 320-330 in a matter of a few months or a year or two.

Ratliff is a great example, he's still a little light and was taken in the 7th, but his power is on par with the 330-340 lb guys, less gut keeps him lighter on his feet.

If they have the power and tech to handle the nose, and struggle to keep weight off moreso than put it on, they are perfectly suited to NT, even if they only weigh 300 right now.

Going to the combine they'd run faster and jump higher at a lighter weight, and appeal to both teams looking for a NT and teams looking for a UT. Only guys who watch a ton of film and interview guys would know these lightweight NT's that put in the extra effort to keep their weight down. Ht/WT is not the best NT measure, film, ht, jump relative to weight, and the bench are the best ways to ID the noses.

Pickett weighed 305 at the combine, Harrell weighed 300. Weight is pretty unimportant for a DT unless they would struggle to gain more.

Guiness
02-18-2009, 12:18 PM
#3 overall would make Raji one of the highest paid DT's in the NFL, and by far the highest paid NT who don't make as much as the elite 4-3 UT's.

I don't know that 3-4 NT's make less than 4-3 UT's...

Casey Hampton and Kris Jenkins are some of the highest paid DT's in the league. Jason Ferguson (phins) carries a big paycheck as well.

Overall, I would think it's harder to find an NT than a 4-3 DT - any type of 4-3 DT, but I could be wrong, which would explain why I'm not an NFL GM!

sheepshead
02-18-2009, 12:53 PM
I don't think one player being gone at 9 makes or breaks our switch to the 3-4. The success of our defense is going to depend much more heavily on our coaching than the draft.

Particularly the crap shoot of the NFL draft. If we're pinning our hopes on who TT picks on day one, were in deep dog doo doo.

Waldo
02-18-2009, 01:09 PM
C. Hampton's contract averages 4.5M/yr
K. Jenkins' contract averages 6.0M/yr
J. Williams' contract averages 5.5M/yr

T. Harris' contract averages 10.0M/yr
K. Williams' contract averages 6.5M/yr
C. Redding's contract averages 7.0M/yr

The ability to sack makes DT's a lot of $$.

The Shadow
02-18-2009, 01:58 PM
When does the clamor for "the physical freak" begin? You know, the guy who wows em at the Combine (Mike Mamula, Vernon Davis) - and immediately causes our usual suspects to go into the "If Thompson doesn't draft this guy, I'm through rooting for the Packers" hysteria.

Zool
02-18-2009, 01:59 PM
Right after the combine.

sheepshead
02-18-2009, 02:15 PM
You have to remember, there definitely are a couple "unknown" NT's, guys with the power to handle the nose, but that trained hard to go into the draft in the 300-310 lb range to test the best and appeal to the widest variety of teams, but that would have no problem ballooning to 320-330 in a matter of a few months or a year or two.

Ratliff is a great example, he's still a little light and was taken in the 7th, but his power is on par with the 330-340 lb guys, less gut keeps him lighter on his feet.

If they have the power and tech to handle the nose, and struggle to keep weight off moreso than put it on, they are perfectly suited to NT, even if they only weigh 300 right now.

Going to the combine they'd run faster and jump higher at a lighter weight, and appeal to both teams looking for a NT and teams looking for a UT. Only guys who watch a ton of film and interview guys would know these lightweight NT's that put in the extra effort to keep their weight down. Ht/WT is not the best NT measure, film, ht, jump relative to weight, and the bench are the best ways to ID the noses.

Pickett weighed 305 at the combine, Harrell weighed 300. Weight is pretty unimportant for a DT unless they would struggle to gain more.

TT's takin' a running back anyway.

Joemailman
02-18-2009, 05:31 PM
Raji will be there at #9. DT's seldom get picked in the top 8, and Raji isn't exceptional enough to be the exception.

retailguy
02-18-2009, 06:02 PM
Raji will be there at #9. DT's seldom get picked in the top 8, and Raji isn't exceptional enough to be the exception.

So, he isn't "exceptional enough" to be picked in the top 8, but the thinking is that TED THOMPSON is taking him at pick 9? Umm. That doesn't make sense to me.

I have no idea who Ted will take, but your reasoning suggests to me that it will not be this Raji guy.

Joemailman
02-18-2009, 07:17 PM
I didn't say Thompson would take him, just that he'd be available. This thread started with the idea that Raji would go #3. I don't think he's good enough to go that high. That would be a major reach. Taking him at #9 would probably be pretty close to his value. I think TT will take one of the top OT's if available.

rbaloha1
02-18-2009, 07:33 PM

Except it is a bad year for dts and qbs. Due to the lack of elite players in these positions certain players could go higher than deserved. Raji, Sanchez and Freeman imo fit in this category.