PDA

View Full Version : Zero To Hero: Green Bay

HarveyWallbangers
02-18-2009, 03:38 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/11390228

Green Bay

There are three reasons to embrace this team: 1) It lost seven games by four points or fewer; 2) It has a franchise quarterback in place; and 3) It plays in the NFC North, where anything is possible. The Packers are only one year removed from the club that reached the NFC Championship Game and it looks as if they have a reliable quarterback in Aaron Rodgers.

He wasn't the reason the club swooned last season; the league's 20th-ranked defense was, with a 24-21 loss to Houston Exhibit A. Texans' quarterback Matt Schaub threw for 414 yards, and running back Steve Slaton ran for 120. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that you can't win while hemorrhaging over 500 yards to an opponent. That's why the Packers jumped at the chance to hire Dom Capers as defensive coordinator. Of course, having Capers means switching to a 3-4 alignment, and that may take some adjusting.

The Packers could use another pass rusher. They could use a defensive tackle. They could use a cornerback. Maybe two. They need help, which is why the NFL invented free agency and the draft and why the club reached out to Capers. This team is not far away, and with Minnesota and Chicago in front of them moving to the front of the class is not out of the question.

PlantPage55
02-18-2009, 04:20 PM
We could use a corner? Maybe TWO?!
What is this guy smoking? :lol:

I actually agree with everything else though.

PaCkFan_n_MD
02-18-2009, 04:49 PM
We could use a corner? Maybe TWO?!
What is this guy smoking? :lol:

I actually agree with everything else though.

Not this season maybe, but in the not to distant future he is right. We need o-linemen more than cb's right now.

cpk1994
02-18-2009, 05:22 PM

The Packers are only one year removed from the club that reached the NFC Championship Game and it looks as if they have a reliable quarterback in Aaron Rodgers.

He wasn't the reason the club swooned last season; the league's 20th-ranked defense was,

That can't be true. The know-it-all Partial says it was all Rodgers fault. What a hack journalist. :lol:

Lurker64
02-18-2009, 05:29 PM
Teams regularly go from unimpressive records in one season to superbowl contenders in the next.

The Cardinals went from 8-8 in 2007 to the Super Bowl in 2008.
The Panthers went from 7-9 in 2007 to 12-4 in 2008.
The Falcons went from 4-12 in 2007 to 11-5 in 2008.
The Ravens went from 5-11 in 2007 to 11-5 in 2008.

Nobody should really be Surprised if the Packers go from 6-10 in 2008 to 11-5 or so in 2009. We have needs, but we have a lot of key pieces.

Gunakor
02-18-2009, 06:15 PM

The Packers are only one year removed from the club that reached the NFC Championship Game and it looks as if they have a reliable quarterback in Aaron Rodgers.

He wasn't the reason the club swooned last season; the league's 20th-ranked defense was,

That can't be true. The know-it-all Partial says it was all Rodgers fault. What a hack journalist. :lol:

Partial IS the authority on this one. Maybe this guy should have done his homework before posting such a blatantly untrue article.

I'm sending him a letter.

retailguy
02-18-2009, 06:55 PM
I think the partial references are pretty classless.

that said, they've been making the Vikings paper champions for YEARS. How is this any different?

Bretsky
02-18-2009, 07:02 PM

Partial threw some darts at Rodgers; but I don't ever recall him saying it was "ALL" his fault. Correct me if I'm wrong.

And stop calling others know it alls.

I'm the only Know It All :!: :!: :lol:

Lurker64
02-18-2009, 07:02 PM

Have you decided who to lay the curse of Bretsky on for this year's draft yet?

Bretsky
02-18-2009, 07:06 PM

No, not yet, but it will come to me

I've been pondering all of this.

I fully endorsed AJ Hawk; even wrote an article for PR endorsing the selection of Hawk over V Davis.

Am I the reason for his underperformance ????

cpk1994
02-19-2009, 05:55 AM

Partial threw some darts at Rodgers; but I don't ever recall him saying it was "ALL" his fault. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm the only Know It All :!: :!: :lol:He never explictly said it was all Rodgers fault. But he blamed the offense and the only name that came up in the blame was ARod's so do the math.

OK. You're the only Know-it-all. Check. :)

Gunakor
02-19-2009, 06:49 AM

I fully endorsed AJ Hawk; even wrote an article for PR endorsing the selection of Hawk over V Davis.

Yes. Now curse Matt Stafford immediately so he ends up being the next Joey Harrington in Detroit. Thanks in advance :D

Gunakor
02-19-2009, 06:53 AM

I'm the only Know It All :!: :!: :lol:He never explictly said it was all Rodgers fault. But he blamed the offense and the only name that came up in the blame was ARod's so do the math.

Exactly. He never said it was all Rodgers fault, but seeing as how I don't have enough fingers and toes to count the number of times he said the problems this year were an anemic offense led by a merely average quarterback, I'd say the implications were pretty clear.

And I am a know-it-all as well, just like all July babies are. I thought everybody knew that...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Bretsky
02-19-2009, 07:25 AM
Yes, the smartest kids come in July so we can watch the chicks in bikini's the rest of the summer :lol:

cpk1994
02-19-2009, 07:43 AM
Looks like I need to put the hip waders on before I enter this thread now. :lol:

woodbuck27
02-19-2009, 12:28 PM
We need to re-build the DL and OL to have any real success in the next 5 years. Our run defense is deplorable.

GO PACKERS!

Waldo
02-19-2009, 01:01 PM

Exactly. He never said it was all Rodgers fault, but seeing as how I don't have enough fingers and toes to count the number of times he said the problems this year were an anemic offense led by a merely average quarterback, I'd say the implications were pretty clear.

And I am a know-it-all as well, just like all July babies are. I thought everybody knew that...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Guess when I was born 8-)

Guiness
02-19-2009, 02:35 PM
Guess when I was born 8-)
April 1st? :lol: :rs:

mngolf19
02-19-2009, 06:47 PM
, they've been making the Vikings paper champions for YEARS. How is this any different?

You've really gotta axe to grind on this don't you. There were publications last year that had Packers winning and Vikes in last. Are we conveniently forgetting those? I'm sure you can find those every year.

HarveyWallbangers
02-19-2009, 07:29 PM
, they've been making the Vikings paper champions for YEARS. How is this any different?

You've really gotta axe to grind on this don't you. There were publications last year that had Packers winning and Vikes in last. Are we conveniently forgetting those? I'm sure you can find those every year.

It's different though. Green Bay won the division in 2007. There have been many years where the Vikings had been around .500 (give or take a game) the year before, but were predicted to win the division.

sharpe1027
02-19-2009, 07:33 PM

There are so many publications that you can always find something like that. Most had the Vikes very high though. I remember some that picked them as SB contenders, heh.

It was maybe the first time in a long time that the Viqueens didn't completely miss out on exceptions. I would still say that given the horrid condition of the division they were still worse than most publications predicted.

Packnut
02-19-2009, 07:53 PM

Well, at least you and I heavily endorsed Reggie Nelson at #17 way before the bonehead Harrell Pick................ :wink:

retailguy
02-19-2009, 08:00 PM

Nah, you mis-understand me. I'm not "mocking" the Vikings, what I'm saying is that the perception around here is that they've "made" the Vikings paper champions and now that someones giving good press for the pack, they're all over it like it's gospel. There isn't any difference, but when it's your team it "must" be true.

I find the double standard funny. That's all.

mngolf19
02-21-2009, 07:01 AM

Nah, you mis-understand me. I'm not "mocking" the Vikings, what I'm saying is that the perception around here is that they've "made" the Vikings paper champions and now that someones giving good press for the pack, they're all over it like it's gospel. There isn't any difference, but when it's your team it "must" be true.

I stand corrected. :)

Rastak
02-21-2009, 07:10 AM

It is funny and understandable. Last year most of what I read had Green Bay winning the North...so, that made them paper NFC North champions before the season started. 6-10 record later, nobody here looks back and makes comments on that. Again, I understand it but it is rather funny.

MadtownPacker
02-21-2009, 02:05 PM
It is funny and understandable. Last year most of what I read had Green Bay winning the North...so, that made them paper NFC North champions before the season started. 6-10 record later, nobody here looks back and makes comments on that. Again, I understand it but it is rather funny.I would hardly call the Packers "paper champions" after going to the NFCC the year before. The rough offseason had to have come into play where the vikings where supposed to have straight up upgraded with a fresh AP, a focused Jackson and some new toys like Berrian. Thing is the vikings have been the sexy pick since the 98 season and have never lived up to it where the Pack has won the div and done some big things over that time frame.

I personally dont pay any attention to what writers say but if they are picking the Pack to win the NFCN I would say they are not to far fetched.

Lurker64
02-21-2009, 02:17 PM
I personally dont pay any attention to what writers say but if they are picking the Pack to win the NFCN I would say they are not to far fetched.

Well, considering the state of the NFCN they basically have a 1/3 chance by default... sorry Lions Fan.

MadtownPacker
02-21-2009, 02:22 PM

Well, considering the state of the NFCN they basically have a 1/3 chance by default... sorry Lions Fan.I was referring more toward how they where in just about every game in 2008 to the finish but it helps having 2 extra bye weeks as well.

Lurker64
02-21-2009, 02:27 PM

Well, considering the state of the NFCN they basically have a 1/3 chance by default... sorry Lions Fan.I was referring more toward how they where in just about every game in 2008 to the finish but it helps having 2 extra bye weeks as well.

Well yeah, it's a young team with a lot of talent and some good coaching. If things go the right way for Green Bay, they probably have the highest ceiling of any team in the North for 2009. It's an interesting time to be a Packer fan, only the most pessimistic of folks expect them to not be better in 2009. Plus, playing the NFC West (3 really bad teams) and the AFC North (2 really bad teams) is going to help.

MadtownPacker
02-21-2009, 02:50 PM
Well yeah, it's a young team with a lot of talent and some good coaching. If things go the right way for Green Bay, they probably have the highest ceiling of any team in the North for 2009. It's an interesting time to be a Packer fan, only the most pessimistic of folks expect them to not be better in 2009. Plus, playing the NFC West (3 really bad teams) and the AFC North (2 really bad teams) is going to help.I agree that they have alot of talent but good coaching? Sometimes but not always.

M3s lack of knowing when to go for the jugular concerned me in 2007. It really showed up in 2008 the way I saw it by watching every game. There are points in every game that change what happens from then on. If that moment is missed you only get so many chances as the game goes on. Big time coaches always seems to know when to go for it at key times. I have serious concerns McCarthy might not have that sense. If his claim to fame will be he beat lesser teams and coaches then he doesnt have much to claim.

Rastak
02-21-2009, 04:09 PM
It is funny and understandable. Last year most of what I read had Green Bay winning the North...so, that made them paper NFC North champions before the season started. 6-10 record later, nobody here looks back and makes comments on that. Again, I understand it but it is rather funny.I would hardly call the Packers "paper champions" after going to the NFCC the year before. The rough offseason had to have come into play where the vikings where supposed to have straight up upgraded with a fresh AP, a focused Jackson and some new toys like Berrian. Thing is the vikings have been the sexy pick since the 98 season and have never lived up to it where the Pack has won the div and done some big things over that time frame.

Mad, I agree that almost winning the conference drove alot of the 2008 predictions and since it was that success you could argue against the term "paper champion".

I also agree it isn't far fetched to see the Pack win the North next year, nor would I find it far fetched to see the Vikings repeat as NFCN champs.