PDA

View Full Version : Colts to cut Marvin Harrison

Brando19
02-18-2009, 09:56 PM
http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/02/18/colts-to-cut-marvin-soon/

The NFL can be crazy sometimes. Hope I never see the day the Packers cut Donald Driver.

Waldo
02-19-2009, 12:33 AM
http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/02/18/colts-to-cut-marvin-soon/

The NFL can be crazy sometimes. Hope I never see the day the Packers cut Donald Driver.

If Driver signs a retirement deal like Harris did, I doubt it happens, he'll just fade away a la Rod Smith. When you are overpaid and declining and the team has to worry about the cap, goodbye.

rbaloha1
02-19-2009, 11:47 AM
Agreed about DD. DD is still productive and shows little decline due to age.

With that said, Crabtree could drop due to failure of running the 40 yard dash during the combine. Crabtree's 40 time is an issue with some scouts. Its possible Crabtree could be in position for the Packers to draft.

SnakeLH2006
02-19-2009, 11:40 PM
It was a matter of time. Harrison is not worth that bloated cap figure...and DD will get cut too as I'm sure there's a few in these forums that will have misled pitchforks for TT blood when it happens...but the difference is money with Marvin.

Harrison is still OK, but nowhere near that figure.

DD is still very good, but he's getting up there and WILL tail off within the next year or 2 most likely (esp. with all the pounding he takes getting the extra yard).

Snake loves DD though, and he will retire a Packer most likely considering his age/current production levels precluding him from another contract. When it's time, it's time...and DD will go down as one of the most underrated greats in Packers history.

Joemailman
02-19-2009, 11:53 PM
The Packers are pretty good at avoiding situations like the Harrison situation. Driver's cap figure was less than 6 mil in 2008, and I doubt it will be much different in 2009. Only Rodgers had an 8 figure cap number in 2008, and that was after signing an extension.

Patler
02-20-2009, 06:05 AM
Driver is signed only through 2010. At the time of his last extension, it was reported that 2010 was likely a "dummy" year that he would never see, because in 2010 he is scheduled to be paid a $4 million salary, a $3 million roster bonus and $200,000 in a workout bonus.

There are a lot of factors that will go into the decision whether or not to pay the $7.2 million to Driver in 2010, including how well he preforms in 2009, how well Jones and Nelson play in 2009, whether or not Jennings is extended, and how expensive the Packers list of 2010 FAs becomes. There might be a lot better places to spend the money than on a 35 year old receiver.

2009 could be Driver's last year in GB.

sheepshead
02-20-2009, 07:31 AM
Driver is signed only through 2010. At the time of his last extension, it was reported that 2010 was likely a "dummy" year that he would never see, because in 2010 he is scheduled to be paid a $4 million salary, a $3 million roster bonus and $200,000 in a workout bonus.

There are a lot of factors that will go into the decision whether or not to pay the $7.2 million to Driver in 2010, including how well he preforms in 2009, how well Jones and Nelson play in 2009, whether or not Jennings is extended, and how expensive the Packers list of 2010 FAs becomes. There might be a lot better places to spend the money than on a 35 year old receiver.

2009 could be Driver's last year in GB.

That said I could see Donald taking a pay cut and compete for the 2 or 3 spot.

Patler
02-20-2009, 07:39 AM

Perhaps. I can also see the Packers deciding that for a single season he is worth the money and pay him.

Gunakor
02-20-2009, 08:02 AM

Perhaps. I can also see the Packers deciding that for a single season he is worth the money and pay him.

Keep in mind that they'll likely have to pay Jennings at least that much as well if they want to retain him, given his rookie contract expires at the end of the season. That in addition to a number of other contracts that expire after this season on top of it. Lots of money will have to be spent before the 2010 season. I don't think it will be impossible by any means to pay him 7.5 million in 2010, but not very likely IMO. Still, I don't see Driver going anywhere. They'll work something out.

EDIT: Actually, if 2010 is to be an uncapped year, you could be right. I hadn't thought about that, but you are right in that they'd probably just tap their emergency fund or reserve fund or whatever it's called to take care of Driver as long as they aren't restricted by a cap.

Patler
02-20-2009, 08:41 AM
Keep in mind that they'll likely have to pay Jennings at least that much as well if they want to retain him, given his rookie contract expires at the end of the season. That in addition to a number of other contracts that expire after this season on top of it. Lots of money will have to be spent before the 2010 season. I don't think it will be impossible by any means to pay him 7.5 million in 2010, but not very likely IMO. Still, I don't see Driver going anywhere. They'll work something out.

EDIT: Actually, if 2010 is to be an uncapped year, you could be right. I hadn't thought about that, but you are right in that they'd probably just tap their emergency fund or reserve fund or whatever it's called to take care of Driver as long as they aren't restricted by a cap.

I really don't see it mattering whether or not 2010 is uncapped. It depends on all the other factors I listed in my earlier post:

There are a lot of factors that will go into the decision whether or not to pay the $7.2 million to Driver in 2010, including how well he preforms in 2009, how well Jones and Nelson play in 2009, whether or not Jennings is extended, and how expensive the Packers list of 2010 FAs becomes. There might be a lot better places to spend the money than on a 35 year old receiver

I don't think the existence or disappearance of a salary cap in 2010 will significantly change how the Packers spend money in the short run, and certainly not in how much they will spend for an old receiver. However, just as they hung on to KGB in 2007 (which turned out well for them) and tried to in 2008 (which didn't turn out so well), if Driver performs reasonably well in 2009 I could see the Packers picking up the final year of his contract.

However, if Jennings, Collins, Kampman, the various O-linemen and others cost too much, the Packers might use Driver's $7.2 million for one or more of the younger guys.

hurleyfan
02-20-2009, 09:16 AM
However, if Jennings, Collins, Kampman, the various O-linemen and others cost too much, the Packers might use Driver's $7.2 million for one or more of the younger guys.

I would hate to see Driver leave...

I also don't think the Pack will spend to extend Kampman... Unless he is a great fit for the new 3 -4 defense. If he's still playing for the Packers this year, possible trade right?

The Leaper
02-20-2009, 11:23 PM

Driver might not be losing much...but there is a hell of a lot of talent on the roster at WR. If it comes down to losing Jones/Nelson or Driver, you keep the young kid.

Enjoy Donald Driver...his days in Green Bay are likely numbered, unless he takes a significant pay cut to be a #4 WR (which could be possible). Jones and Nelson will both be better than Driver by 2010.

SnakeLH2006
02-20-2009, 11:29 PM

Driver might not be losing much...but there is a hell of a lot of talent on the roster at WR. If it comes down to losing Jones/Nelson or Driver, you keep the young kid.

Enjoy Donald Driver...his days in Green Bay are likely numbered, unless he takes a significant pay cut to be a #4 WR (which could be possible). Jones and Nelson will both be better than Driver by 2010.

As much as I'm a DD fan, WTF happened with Jones? That dude makes huge plays when given the chance but kinda an afterthought in 2008? Dude had an amazing rook season and incredible 2008 preseason...Yes, he was injured early, but damn if he didn't deserve the rock later in the season. He made incredible plays when given the chance as there must be more to this than we know. Snake would open up competition in 2009 for him and DD for the #2 spot easily. Either way our #3 is better than most #2's across the league. Jones is a beastman.

Gunakor
02-21-2009, 11:57 AM

As much as I'm a DD fan, WTF happened with Jones? That dude makes huge plays when given the chance but kinda an afterthought in 2008? Dude had an amazing rook season and incredible 2008 preseason...Yes, he was injured early, but damn if he didn't deserve the rock later in the season. He made incredible plays when given the chance as there must be more to this than we know. Snake would open up competition in 2009 for him and DD for the #2 spot easily. Either way our #3 is better than most #2's across the league. Jones is a beastman.

There's only one ball. I'm just glad doesn't react like TO. The fact is that with as deep a WR corps as ours are, none of them are seeing the ball as much as they'd like to. Jones doesn't necessarily deserve the ball any more than Driver or Jennings or Nelson do. They are all starting caliber IMO.

Patler
02-21-2009, 12:07 PM

The problem was that Jones kept re-injuring his knee, I think twice after the initial injury just before the start of the season. He was finally shut down for 4 weeks including the bye, but by that time half the season was gone, Nelson had found his nitch, and the WR rotations for 1-3 were pretty set. He should be back in the mix this season.

red
02-21-2009, 02:00 PM
i also can't see driver running around shooting up car washes and the fleeing and hiding from police

allegedly

there won't be nfl football in 2010 anyways

Partial
02-26-2009, 12:09 AM
Whoa whoa whoa... showing respect and granting a veteran, HOF true team player his wish and releasing him?!?

Patler
02-26-2009, 01:08 AM
Whoa whoa whoa... showing respect and granting a veteran, HOF true team player his wish and releasing him?!?

The motive was purely financial, nothing more than that. Don't try to spin it into something it isn't. Harrison was going to count $13.5 against the cap and refused to renegotiate his contract. The Colts needed the cap space and didn't have a lot of options available to them. Situation very, very similar to that with Darren Sharper and the Packers.

Guiness
02-26-2009, 02:14 PM
The problem was that Jones kept re-injuring his knee, I think twice after the initial injury just before the start of the season. He was finally shut down for 4 weeks including the bye, but by that time half the season was gone, Nelson had found his nitch, and the WR rotations for 1-3 were pretty set. He should be back in the mix this season.

He also had a couple of really bad drops after he got back. Maybe more time would've worked them out of his system, but Nelson meant they didn't have to wait.

Bossman641
02-26-2009, 03:18 PM

LOL, nice try

Lurker64
02-26-2009, 03:29 PM

I think the conversation went something like:
Colts: Hey Marvin, your contract is a nightmare and you aren't the player you used to be, we're going to have to cut you if we can't restructure your contract. Want to restructure?
Harrison: No.
Colts: Okay, see ya! You were the fourth best offensive threat on the team anyway.

If the Colts were really going to "show him respect" they would have just paid him. Since Marvin not only did not ask to be cut, he was on the record as preferring that he stay with the Colts and get paid the ridiculous amount of money his contract would pay this year, absolutely nothing the Colts did smacked of "respect". Frankly, they "disrespected" him by asking him to restructure and then cutting him when he wouldn't play ball. Nice try though.

Pugger
02-26-2009, 06:42 PM
Harrison is 38, right? How old is DD? :?:

red
02-26-2009, 06:46 PM
Harrison is 38, right? How old is DD? :?:

he still has 3 or 4 years left in him

Fritz
02-26-2009, 07:03 PM
I'll say if DD doesn't get a big injury he should be good to go for two more years, maybe three.

Man. I remember when Shermy, I think, was pissed because young Donald wanted to try out for the Olympics for the high jump or something...I think it was Shermy, wasn't it?