PDA

View Full Version : Peppers is tagged

Packman_26
02-19-2009, 01:10 PM
http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/02/19/peppers-gets-tagged/

That probably should put an end to all of the Peppers in Green Bay talk. I think the only chance he ends up in Green Bay was if they had to tag Gross and Peppers hit the open market. I would assume that Thompson would never trade away what it would take to get him.

BlueBrewer
02-19-2009, 01:17 PM
Better go get Big Al!!!!

Waldo
02-19-2009, 01:18 PM
I'd trade our 2nd and 3rd for him (and aggregate value of #25)

HarveyWallbangers
02-19-2009, 01:23 PM
Did Gross resign with them or his he available. He'd look good at RT.

Packman_26
02-19-2009, 01:24 PM
Gross resigned shortly before they tagged Peppers.

HarveyWallbangers
02-19-2009, 01:40 PM
Gross resigned shortly before they tagged Peppers.

Too bad.

Zool
02-19-2009, 01:47 PM
First thing I checked too. Looks like he got 6 years.

Guiness
02-19-2009, 02:05 PM
So he gets the $17million. Wow. Can Carolina really handle that?

It fell out the way the writers all said it had to...Gross long term, tag Peppers.

KYPack
02-19-2009, 02:06 PM
I'd trade our 2nd and 3rd for him (and aggregate value of #25)

So would I. Doubt that deal could get done.

Carolina has a good office. They get their stuff handled.

How bout Brohm, a our extra 3 and a roll of tape?

I'd like to see us get a vet NT or DE that has played in a 3-4.

Suggs had a big ticket salary, but a guy like that would have helped like crazy.

Packman_26
02-19-2009, 02:20 PM
Speaking of Suggs, I wonder if he will be shopped much like it is assumed that Peppers will be. I know the situations are different in that Peppers wants out and Suggs has said he wants to stay but with 3 of the Ravens linebackers as free agents, I wonder if they can afford to keep all of them. Could it be that they just think of Suggs as the hottest commodity and will shop him around and plan to resign Scott and Lewis? This would at least make sure they get compensation for the player they lose...

Lurker64
02-19-2009, 03:05 PM
To get Peppers, it's going to cost someone at least a #1. I wouldn't make any deal that involves giving up our #1, personally.

I like the "Brohm, the spare 3rd and a roll of tape" plan though.

The Shadow
02-19-2009, 04:13 PM
If we can't get him, let's just BE him!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8DWf-rSHn0

HarveyWallbangers
02-19-2009, 04:13 PM
Asomugha resigned with Oakland. The FA class is suddenly looking poor again.

vince
02-19-2009, 04:36 PM
No way TT ponies up a 1 and 2 3's or anything close to what it will likely take to land Peppers, and I'm glad about that.

Waldo
02-19-2009, 05:14 PM
IMO it is not going to take nearly that much to get him. Peppers has a lot of ???'s that Allen didn't.

1) Allen was younger
2) Allen was the reigning NFL sack leader
3) Allen wasn't being as picky about his destination
4) Allen was not tagged as an inconsistent player
5) Peppers wants a bigger contract than Allen
6) Peppers' franchise tag (and thus first year contract payout) is much bigger than Allen's
7) The Chiefs could realistically afford to keep Allen (Carolina has to cut or restructure a few guys within a week just to be legal on the day the cap first applies (before they can trade Pep), plus they'll have to cut some more just to sign their rookies, and will go into the season with zero injury bubble (teams typically at least need 2-3M to be safe during a season, IR counts toward the cap, just like the guys signed to replace them)).

All of these things depress Peppers' value in trade relative to Allen. IMO he will take first round value, but I don't think he's gonna take a first round pick necessarily. I would not be surprised if he is traded for a low 1st, or a 2nd and 3rd.

I can very seriously see us pursuing him if there is interest from Pep, with our 1st off the table in trade compensation. Remember we are slotted in a prime QB spot in the first, trading down will probably not be hard to gain back some of the picks.

The Shadow
02-19-2009, 05:22 PM
I think the trick is to FIND the players who could develop into the next superstars BEFORE they reach the ceiling - and the bloated contracts.

SnakeLH2006
02-19-2009, 11:28 PM
To get Peppers, it's going to cost someone at least a #1. I wouldn't make any deal that involves giving up our #1, personally.

I like the "Brohm, the spare 3rd and a roll of tape" plan though.

I'd be willing to do that deal and throw in the punter too, until Snake heard $17 million. WOWZAZ! Damn, that's a ton of loot for a DL not named Reggie White. The picks don't bother me, it's the cap tag that astounds me. No way, that just makes it impossible to sign players on your own team for not only cap space, but them wanting massive deals too. Barnett and Kampy at $6 million looks paltry now. Damn.