PDA

View Full Version : Asomugha Lands Monster New Deal

vince
02-19-2009, 04:30 PM
WOWSERS! Crazy Al strikes again!

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/2009/02/asomugha-lands-m

Asomugha Lands Monster New Deal
From John Clayton of ESPN.com:

The Oakland Raiders reached agreement with cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha on a $45.3 million, three-year contract that makes him the highest-paid defensive back in NFL history.

Sources said Asomugha is guaranteed $28.5 million in a complicated deal that features a provision in which the entire contract can be guaranteed if the Raiders decide to keep the 27-year-old for the third season.

This was the second major re-signing by the Raiders in two days; on Wednesday, Shane Lechler agreed to a four-year, $16 million contract, the richest ever for a punter.

Both deals were negotiated by agent Tom Condon, with Raiders owner Al Davis having significant involvement in brokering the agreements.

Cheesehead Craig
02-19-2009, 04:31 PM
Wow! :shock:

He ain't worth all that, IMO. But good for him to get it.

vince
02-19-2009, 04:32 PM
I'd like to run into Tom Condon out on the town tonight...

Joemailman
02-19-2009, 04:59 PM
Nobody overpays like Oakland overpays.

Lurker64
02-19-2009, 05:04 PM
That's crazy money but that, or the tag, was the only way Oakland was going to keep him. At least Al Davis is sufficiently savvy to realize he shouldn't let his best player walk.

PaCkFan_n_MD
02-19-2009, 05:12 PM
At least they gave it to a GREAT player.

Joemailman
02-19-2009, 05:15 PM
That's crazy money but that, or the tag, was the only way Oakland was going to keep him. At least Al Davis is sufficiently savvy to realize he shouldn't let his best player walk.

Let the record show that our friend Lurker has used sufficiently savvy and Al Davis in the same sentence. :wink:

Lurker64
02-19-2009, 05:19 PM

Let the record show that our friend Lurker has used sufficiently savvy and Al Davis in the same sentence. :wink:

Are you questioning the sanity and competency of this man?

http://sports.popcrunch.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/al-davis-raiders-fire-kiffin.jpg

PackerPro42
02-19-2009, 05:26 PM
I found this...

The first two years, worth $28.5 million, are fully guaranteed. In the third year of the contract, if Oakland wants to keep Asomugha, it must pay him the average of the top five highest-paid quarterbacks (not to be confused with cornerbacks) or $16.875 million — whichever is greater. If the Raiders fail to pick up the option, Asomugha will become a free agent, with Oakland not having the ability to tag him again.

Deputy Nutz
02-19-2009, 05:34 PM
Al Davis is the reason why I am glad there is no owner in Green Bay

Fritz
02-19-2009, 06:45 PM
The highest paid player on the team is a cornerback?
Weird.

cheesner
02-19-2009, 06:59 PM
I would say they have too many holes to tie up that kind of cash on one player. A player whom any team can just choose not to pass the ball in his direction and take him out of the game. I know he may be taking your best WR out of the game - but on a defense with as many holes as the Raiders have, opponents can just attack elsewhere. I suspect Asomugha really wanted to play elsewhere and that is what it took to keep him.

Then again I think, what else is Al going to do with the $$$$? What FAs can he attract to play on his team? There are only so many Javon Walkers out there - and look what it took to even bring that asshat to town.

hoosier
02-19-2009, 07:16 PM
WOWSERS! Crazy Al strikes again!

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/2009/02/asomugha-lands-m

Asomugha Lands Monster New Deal
From John Clayton of ESPN.com:

The Oakland Raiders reached agreement with cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha on a $45.3 million, three-year contract that makes him the highest-paid defensive back in NFL history.

Sources said Asomugha is guaranteed $28.5 million in a complicated deal that features a provision in which the entire contract can be guaranteed if the Raiders decide to keep the 27-year-old for the third season.

This was the second major re-signing by the Raiders in two days; on Wednesday, Shane Lechler agreed to a four-year, $16 million contract, the richest ever for a punter.

Both deals were negotiated by agent Tom Condon, with Raiders owner Al Davis having significant involvement in brokering the agreements.

What part of a three-year contract wouldn't be guaranteed if they decided to keep him for all three? :lol:

red
02-19-2009, 08:02 PM
honest to god, the nfl needs to step in and force al davis to step down

he's obviously lost his marbles. and he's screwing over everyone else in the process by jacking the going dollar for players way up along the way

channtheman
02-19-2009, 10:54 PM
I'm more impressed by that punter deal. I wonder what it would be like to make 4 million a year to kick a football.

SnakeLH2006
02-19-2009, 11:04 PM

Are you questioning the sanity and competency of this man?

http://sports.popcrunch.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/al-davis-raiders-fire-kiffin.jpg

He has a heart of evil I tell ya! He will torture generations of souls! MWHAHAHAHAAA!

http://personal.inet.fi/clan/kummaseta/pinhead.jpg

Well, looks like Al knows he's done soon on this Earth, so may as well give INSANE cash away. Dude is an awesome player, but the yearly average of over $15 million is about $5 million more than the next highest paid yearly CB. Why pay that unless the dude really wanted to leave Oakland (can't blame him there though).

That shit just fucks the whole league up. I thought Jerry Jones would do it first, but Dayummm... Let's pay him Peyton money.....sure helped Oakland to the playoffs didn't he?

Remember when peeps bitched about overpaying C.Wood initially, then Al being greedy wanting more money??? We could afford 3 of those guys for 1 of this dude.

So much for a recession, eh Al? Damn it all. Can't wait to see what this and Peppers' deal does to FA and future contracts at premium positions.

MadScientist
02-19-2009, 11:50 PM
Well, looks like Al knows he's done soon on this Earth, so may as well give INSANE cash away. Dude is an awesome player, but the yearly average of over $15 million is about $5 million more than the next highest paid yearly CB. Why pay that unless the dude really wanted to leave Oakland (can't blame him there though).

That shit just fucks the whole league up. I thought Jerry Jones would do it first, but Dayummm... Let's pay him Peyton money.....sure helped Oakland to the playoffs didn't he?

Remember when peeps bitched about overpaying C.Wood initially, then Al being greedy wanting more money??? We could afford 3 of those guys for 1 of this dude.

So much for a recession, eh Al? Damn it all. Can't wait to see what this and Peppers' deal does to FA and future contracts at premium positions.
Actually it's only ~15% higher than Champ Bailey's cap value for 2008. Still it's too high for a CB. Others may want that kind of cash, But I think GM's will say go work for crazy Al if you want that much.

SnakeLH2006
02-19-2009, 11:59 PM

Actually it's only ~15% higher than Champ Bailey's cap value for 2008. Still it's too high for a CB. Others may want that kind of cash, But I think GM's will say go work for crazy Al if you want that much.

I wasn't going with 2008 or 2009 cap figures but ESPN reporting it was a yearly average of around $5 million greater than the next highest over the entire deal. I'm sure Patler and Waldo will arrive soon to put up some figures, but either way...tons of cash to fuck up the annual salaries at CB around the league now and in the future.

Guiness
02-20-2009, 12:42 AM

Nah, I don't think it messes anything up. That was said about the deal he signed a mediocre DT to a while back, and the money he gave Javon, etc.

I think any agent who brings up contracts players sign with Oakland just gets laughed at, and told that's not relevant, because we're playing with a full deck here.

KYPack
02-20-2009, 11:30 AM
That Tommy Kelley deal still has everybody shaking their heads.

A mediocre player given all that money?

He never played and still hasn't.

Why Al, why?