PDA

View Full Version : Oh Ricky . . . Ohhhhh Rickey . . .

woodbuck27
07-10-2006, 01:41 PM
July 9, 2006

RICKY ISN'T RICKY ANYMORE

A strange thing has happened during running back Ricky Williams' one-season sojourn to Canada.

Suddenly, he sucks.

Well, he doesn't necessarily suck. But his numbers sure do.

On Saturday night, the former Heisman winner gained only six yards on nine carries for the Toronto Argonauts in a game against the Winnipeg Blue Bombers.

Ricky's time north of the border was supposed to be nothing short of an exercise in dominance. It's the CFL, after all. The players are guys who can't make it in the NFL. Guys who are no match for an elite tailback.

Sure, there are still flashes of brilliance. In Saturday's loss, Ricky caught a swing pass, delivered a "vicious" stiff arm, and hurdled a defender.

But on the next play Williams was stuffed on a 3rd-and-1 rushing attempt, giving the Bombers the ball inside Argo territory. (Under CFL rules, a team gets three tries to gain ten yards, not four.)

Is it that Ricky has lost it, or is his offensive line to blame? "As good a back as he is, he's not Superman," teammate Dave Costa said, according to the Toronto Star. "If he has three [defenders] on his legs, he's not going to make yards, and that's on us."

We still think that a truly great back can find his way out of -- or through -- tight spots. Barry Sanders didn't have Hall of Famers blocking for him in Motown, but he still got his yards.

Through four games, Ricky has gained only 214 of them.

note: He was credited with 97 yards rushing in his first league scheduled game.

It makes for an interesting situation in Miami. Assuming Ricky gets reinstated from his one-year banishment next year, there might not be much leverage for a trade out of town. Instead, the Fins might have to keep him for another year, giving him a chance to prove what he can do in the NFL again, before trying to move him.

woodbuck27
07-10-2006, 09:03 PM
"Through four games, Ricky has gained only 214 of them."

I saw the first game and he did nothing in the first half of that and broke one for about 35 yards in the second half, and about 80 yards overall to finish with 97 yards.

So in 7 halves. He has run for about 160 yards or approx. 11.5 yards /quarter.

Not good !

PaCkFan_n_MD
07-10-2006, 11:17 PM
who cares about this wierd, aging, crack head. This guy is all about drugs and money and he really pisses me off.

Brandon494
07-11-2006, 12:15 AM
who cares about this wierd, aging, crack head. This guy is all about drugs and money and he really pisses me off.

He smokes weed, pretty sure thats not considered a "crackhead". Also if he was all about money he wouldn't have retired in the first place because he had a shit load of money left on his contract.

prsnfoto
07-11-2006, 09:37 AM

He smokes weed, pretty sure thats not considered a "crackhead". Also if he was all about money he wouldn't have retired in the first place because he had a shit load of money left on his contract.

He only came back when he figured out he was going to have to pay back 8 million of his signing bonus, and he still can't lay off the pot, don't get me wrong I like it as much as APB but for 8 million I think I could lay off.

PaCkFan_n_MD
07-11-2006, 09:58 AM
"He only came back when he figured out he was going to have to pay back 8 million of his signing bonus"

Exactly

4and12to12and4
07-11-2006, 10:41 AM
"We still think that a truly great back can find his way out of -- or through -- tight spots. Barry Sanders didn't have Hall of Famers blocking for him in Motown, but he still got his yards. "

Well, Barry was great, but he had his problems with 3rd and 1 also. Heck, when it came to short yardage, they usually took him out of the game. Remember how many times he was standing on the sidelines when Detroit was at the goalline? That's because he danced around in the backfield alot, and at times became a liability in those situations. As good as he was, he LOST ALOT of yards in the backfield trying to make something happen.

Ricky will probably turn it around and have an outstanding year, but I don't care how good you are, if there ain't no holes to run through, you ain't goin' nowhere!!